New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who makes a good sling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
tactical intervention.com, great slings guaranteed.

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen Day,

I real glad to hear of your opinion on Brownells Latigo Leather sling - I have just ordered one for my model 70 416 Rem mag - its difficult to order from a book but I also do not like cobra slings.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
The best sling is a canvas 2" sling by Westley Richards
RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff57 ----- I finally found the sling that will not slide off your shoulder and not leave a sore spot after days of carrying. The Butler Creek stretchy with little rubber knobs that prevent the sliding. It is not a shooting sling, but I don't use it for shooting, so that is not a problem. All I know is after days of treking the mountains after Elk, the percieved weight is less and I no longer have a sore spot and it does not slide off as some of the others. I have some beautiful, personalized, thumbhole leather slings that now catch dust. The Butler Creek is also inexpensive at $19.95. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Latigo is great but give it a good oiling to reduce that new leather squeak.

I've also considered prying off the brass roller on the buckle -- the only metal-to-metal contact in the assembly.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I use the Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling. It is nylon with a strip of some rubber/leather like material sewn on the inside. That keeps it from slipping.

I know it is not leather, and I like leather, but it is very durable, light, quiet and weather resistant. I have a brown one and a black one. I just throw one on the rifle I will be using. Usually it is my composite stalker.

Those mountain slings are perfect for the hunter who likes to wrap up in a hasty sling and have a non-slip over-the-shoulder carry sling all in one. They are very comfortable and sharp looking. I have them on three of my rifles.

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you use 'cobra' slings (v wide and comfortable but nearly useless for shooting)? Really great if they have a thumbhole in the middle...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
What kind of sling depends a lot on what you use it for, but for rough terrain, the "splitfire" is pretty cool. The strap separates, so you can carry the rifle either back pack style, or 3/4 back pack. Pretty neat when you want to use both hands to hang on. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyones input, I'll check them out. You got to Love the internet!
Thanks All,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote