New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range A$$holes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being in the hunting business, I have seen those that shoot well enough to justify long range shooting I suppose, they were trained expertly to do just that and they work at it year around, I have also seen them break legs on rare occasions and took a lot of endeavor to find and kill the animal, but the same has happened with short range hunters so who knows??? I have seen many long range shooters that had no cluem no training, and no horse since, nor did they care. They missed a lot and wounded a lot, I have no use for them and denied them to shoot long range on my hunt.

For myself I prefer to do my hunting before I shoot and if an animal is 600 yards, I can get within 300 or less without a lot of effort 99% of the time, I limit myself to 300 yards and will take a 350 or 400 yard shot now and then, so that's my way of hunting.

Bottom line for me,I don't particularly approve of long range shooting of game, but I'm not the game cop, and its legal and to each his own..In my misspent youth I was guilty of long range shooting without proper equipment for that matter, so what can I say?? it was foolish of me and resulted in a couple of wounded animals and one that got away, so I won't judge, just state my opinion....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I don't condone shooting road signs, that's good shooting and not at all out of the realm of probability. (This was meant for the guy shooting the "corner here" sign)

For richard-head,
If your imposed limit is 200 yards, good for you. At least you know your limitations but do NOT suppose to know mine. By the way, fine Stone ram trophy!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin:
Topgun . (my, aren't we modest), I was not calling people stupid. Why do you constantly attempt to include others? I specifically called you stupid.

Now I see you have to diss my username after calling me stupid. FYI my use of the word people meant myself, not others! You are great at putting things out that are completely incorrect assumptions on your part and that was another one. As for my username, it was taken from the name of the aviation company my Uncle and his youngest son own out in Stockton, CA. He was a crew leader in the Air Force maintaining B-52 Bombers for the Strategic Air Command (SAC) and started Topgun Aviation after he retired from the Air Force. Add the 30-06 for the great all around caliber and voila, thus my username, and nothing to do with modesty! Keep posting, as every one you put up confirms the fact that you're a complete jerk!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:
Thank you Sheephunter. He came from your neck of the woods, Jasper.

LOL

No really....where? It's a great looking ram. Yours?

Sheephunter sorry to say I can't remember the name of the mountain I shot him on. It was a shale mountain above the timber line NW out of the park. We packed in horseback for 5 1/2 days to get to base camp. The outfitter was a gentleman by the name of John Ward, a really good man may he RIP, and my guide was an Indian by the name of Rawhide. Rawhide spotted that sheep from over a mile away without glass.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
Topgun . (my, aren't we modest), I was not calling people stupid. Why do you constantly attempt to include others? I specifically called you stupid.

Now I see you have to diss my username after calling me stupid. FYI my use of the word people meant myself, not others! You are great at putting things out that are completely incorrect assumptions on your part and that was another one. As for my username, it was taken from the name of the aviation company my Uncle and his youngest son own out in Stockton, CA. He was a crew leader in the Air Force maintaining B-52 Bombers for the Strategic Air Command (SAC) and started Topgun Aviation after he retired from the Air Force. Add the 30-06 for the great all around caliber and voila, thus my username, and nothing to do with modesty! Keep posting, as every one you put up confirms the fact that you're a complete jerk!

Uncle, a friggin Lib out in La La land living with a bunch of the other fruits and nuts who are trying to ruin the country?

I commend your judgment not naming yourself after your own persona.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thank you Sheephunter. He came from your neck of the woods, Jasper.

LOL

No really....where? It's a great looking ram. Yours?

Sheephunter sorry to say I can't remember the name of the mountain I shot him on. It was a shale mountain above the timber line NW out of the park. We packed in horseback for 5 1/2 days to get to base camp. The outfitter was a gentleman by the name of John Ward, a really good man may he RIP, and my guide was an Indian by the name of Rawhide. Rawhide spotted that sheep from over a mile away without glass.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware there were Stone Sheep in that area. I thought only bighorns. Oh well it's a great ram.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Being in the hunting business, I have seen those that shoot well enough to justify long range shooting I suppose, they were trained expertly to do just that and they work at it year around, I have also seen them break legs on rare occasions and took a lot of endeavor to find and kill the animal, but the same has happened with short range hunters so who knows??? I have seen many long range shooters that had no cluem no training, and no horse since, nor did they care. They missed a lot and wounded a lot, I have no use for them and denied them to shoot long range on my hunt.

For myself I prefer to do my hunting before I shoot and if an animal is 600 yards, I can get within 300 or less without a lot of effort 99% of the time, I limit myself to 300 yards and will take a 350 or 400 yard shot now and then, so that's my way of hunting.

Bottom line for me,I don't particularly approve of long range shooting of game, but I'm not the game cop, and its legal and to each his own..In my misspent youth I was guilty of long range shooting without proper equipment for that matter, so what can I say?? it was foolish of me and resulted in a couple of wounded animals and one that got away, so I won't judge, just state my opinion....

Ray, I agree with you.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus One.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Know your equipment, know yourself and be prepared. It's not about you; it's about a clean kill on the animal regardless of the range.

This quote seems fitting for a thread that has turned into a poo slinging contest:

“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.” -Aldo Leopold

Good hunting and be safe.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for my username, it was taken from the name of the aviation company my Uncle and his youngest son own out in Stockton, CA. He was a crew leader in the Air Force maintaining B-52 Bombers for the Strategic Air Command (SAC) and started Topgun Aviation after he retired from the Air Force.

I like the name. I was stationed at SAC headquarters in the early 90s. Worked 6 stories underground in their command center.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. I wasn't aware there were Stone Sheep in that area. I thought only bighorns. Oh well it's a great ram.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that has me scratching my head too.

Zeke

posted Hide Post
I'm still curious, how many of the guys who hate the long range hunters, blah blah blah, have rifle scopes on their guns? How many are 3-9x or more?

Posts: 15 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5 1/2 days on horseback to get to spike camp??

Really?
Can't pack enough food. Hunt must have been short.
I live in MT and you can't ride a horse for 5 1/2 days without hitting a road.

FYI... Still a great ram! Smiler

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:

Really?

Ski+3

Well, you can if you are going in circles. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SkiBumplus3:

Really?

Ski+3

Thanks, I like that boy myself.
This was a while ago, not Montana. We were in Jasper Alberta. I mentioned in discussion to a Professional Guide from that area who PM'ed me about what an idiot topgun was and that the same guys always make a problem, I said: "we were in territory that made Eagles Nest Pass look like a paved sidewalk". An exaggeration for sure but by anyone's standards pretty rough country.

I don't think I'm forgetting anyone, we had:
John the outfitter, 2 guides, myself and my hunting partner, 3 other hunters -(one was a kid, son of one of the other hunters), a cook, and a wrangler. No one went hungry.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Richard there are definitely no stone sheep in alberta.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow. So many lies, so little knowledge.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:

This guy Dick is a bonafide jackass if I've ever seen one. 5 1/2 days on a horse just to get to a spike cam---BS! Mentioned to a professional guide what an idiot I am, etc.---More BS. This guy Dick ought to be a fiction writer, as he sure as hell doesn't know anything relative to what is actually the truth, but is sure great at BS! The problem with that is that it eventually catches up with you like it has him on this thread!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sheephunter, he might not look it there but If you could have seen him laying on the shale you'd get a much better idea of how dark he was. The pictures I have were taken well before cell phones and such, and are all on slides, or I'd post a hunt picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:

This guy Dick is a bonafide jackass if I've ever seen one. 5 1/2 days on a horse just to get to a spike cam---BS! Mentioned to a professional guide what an idiot I am, etc.---More BS. This guy Dick ought to be a fiction writer, as he sure as hell doesn't know anything relative to what is actually the truth, but is sure great at BS! The problem with that is that it eventually catches up with you like it has him on this thread!

Funny, you finally said something right and didn't even know it. You can't even get something right by accident; what are the odds?I won't be mentioning who PM'd me, but I did look at his website and would like to hunt with him. He had this to say: "Richard......... yes there are a number of people on AR that just make you shake your head. You see the same ones again and again, one of them is in that thread as you have found out". You're known for something.
Can't imagine 5 1/2 days in. you'd probably be pretty lost without a parking lot handy huh? I'm pretty sure we covered about 12 miles a day. John told me at one point we were about 20 miles from the closest dirt road. Want to hear the best part? That was the second trip with him to that area. I probably shouldn't keep laughing at you, but you're so stupid and vocal, it's hard to not get a kick out of what an idiot you are. OK, just form memory, you've said, must be from back east, then a lib la la land, then mention your family is from there, then I don't hunt but you do yet you think it impossible to pack in for 5 1/2 days... should I go on? You're not worth going back to quote but pretty stupid stuff, and amazing you just keep it coming. No end to your stupidity.

posted Hide Post
I still stand beside what I said earlier. How big of scope does the guys who say anything over 200 yards is too far, have on their guns?

Posts: 15 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sheephunter, he might not look it there but If you could have seen him laying on the shale you'd get a much better idea of how dark he was. The pictures I have were taken well before cell phones and such, and are all on slides, or I'd post a hunt picture.

It's the horns that say thinhorn...the cape says Stone. Heck of a ram.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is starting to confuse me.... popcorn

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin: Funny you finally said something right and didn't even know it. You can't even get something right by accident; what are the odds?I won't be mentioning who PM'd me, but I did look at his website and would like to hunt with him. He had this to say: "Richard......... yes there are a number of people on AR that just make you shake your head. You see the same ones again and again, one of them is in that thread as you have found out". You're known for something.
Can't imagine 5 1/2 days in. you'd probably be pretty lost without a parking lot handy huh? I'm pretty sure we covered about 12 miles a day. John told me at one point we were about 20 miles from the closest dirt road. Want to hear the best part? That was the second trip with him to that area. I probably shouldn't keep laughing at you, but you're so stupid and vocal, it's hard to not get a kick out of what an idiot you are. OK, just form memory, you've said, must be from back east, then a lib la la land, then mention your family is from there, then I don't hunt but you do yet you think it impossible to pack in for 5 1/2 days... should I go on? You're not worth going back to quote but pretty stupid stuff, and amazing you just keep it coming. No end to your stupidity.

You're so full of shit I can smell it all the way here in MI. I'm not on this site very often, as you can see by the relatively small number of posts I've made in five years, so your outfitter comment is BS! Also, nowhere have I ever mentioned you were from the East, but rather stated out in La La land with all the other fruits and nuts that seem to be in the majority out there! Your assumptions continue to astound me and are untrue, as my family isn't from CA just because I have an Uncle who happens to have been in the military and retired out there. I also just went on a horseback hunt in Wyoming in September and according to our GPS tracking system we rode over 20 miles the first day alone and Region G out there doesn't have any flat country where we hunted! We also weren't on the horses other than to get into and out of the various drainages we hunted each day in the morning and evening. If we had ridden all day every day like you would to get into a spike camp I'd have ended up in CA, LOL! Therefore, if you rode all day for 5 1/2 days you must have been going in circles trying to find your camp like another member stated, LOL! That's why we're calling BS on your 5 1/2 day statement just to get to your spike camp. I'm also quite sure you wouldn't mention a person by name on here because the conversation more than likely didn't even happen and most could care less if their name was mentioned the way this site is. Keep calling me whatever you care to, but I and the other members have your number and can smell the stink you put out! No use responding with more BS, as I'm heading out on another hunting trip early tomorrow and won't be back to even read any more of your nonsense until next month!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin: Funny you finally said something right and didn't even know it. You can't even get something right by accident; what are the odds?I won't be mentioning who PM'd me, but I did look at his website and would like to hunt with him. He had this to say: "Richard......... yes there are a number of people on AR that just make you shake your head. You see the same ones again and again, one of them is in that thread as you have found out". You're known for something.

You're so full of shit I can smell it all the way here in MI. I'm not on this site very often, as you can see by the relatively small number of posts I've made in five years, so your outfitter comment is BS! Also, nowhere have I ever mentioned you were from the East, but rather stated out in La La land with all the other fruits and nuts that seem to be in the majority out there! Your assumptions continue to astound me and are untrue, as my family isn't from CA just because I have an Uncle who happens to have been in the military and retired out there. I also just went on a horseback hunt in Wyoming in September and according to our GPS tracking system we rode over 20 miles the first day alone and Region G out there doesn't have any flat country where we hunted! We also weren't on the horses other than to get into and out of the various drainages we hunted each day in the morning and evening. If we had ridden all day every day like you would to get into a spike camp I'd have ended up in CA, LOL! Therefore, if you rode all day for 5 1/2 days you must have been going in circles trying to find your camp like another member stated, LOL! That's why we're calling BS on your 5 1/2 day statement just to get to your spike camp. I'm also quite sure you wouldn't mention a person by name on here because the conversation more than likely didn't even happen and most could care less if their name was mentioned the way this site is. Keep calling me whatever you care to, but I and the other members have your number and can smell the stink you put out! No use responding with more BS, as I'm heading out on another hunting trip early tomorrow and won't be back to even read any more of your nonsense until next month!

You blabber on and on and end with don't say anything back? Even for someone as stupid as you that's rather child like. I know its a bit perverse to get such amusement from your condition of hysterical stupiidity, but you really are the only person I've known of to insult themselves.

You could probably get around that whole comments about California and uncle thing; I'd bet your uncle would be happy to dis own you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JG,
Good post, wind is the worst of demons, and it can change 3 times at a 1000 or more yards in those steep canyons and unlevel elevations. Holding over is a snap by comparison with a proper sight-in and mil dots and a range finder.

I don't denie the right, just don't prefer it for myself.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
JG,
Good post, wind is the worst of demons, and it can change 3 times at a 1000 or more yards in those steep canyons and unlevel elevations. Holding over is a snap by comparison with a proper sight-in and mil dots and a range finder.

I don't denie the right, just don't prefer it for myself.

Doping the wind is yet another essential skill the long-range shooter must posses. Constant winds are relatively easy to compensate for but gusting or inconsistent winds may not be. The real ethics test for a long range shooter is not the distance he shoots but rather he knows when to take the shot and when to walk away from a shot. Not all conditions are conducive to long-range shots just as not all conditions are conducive to short range shots. Ethics dictates when to pull the trigger with both groups...or at least they should.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doping the wind is yet another essential skill the long-range shooter must posses. Constant winds are relatively easy to compensate for but gusting or inconsistent winds may not be. The real ethics test for a long range shooter is not the distance he shoots but rather he knows when to take the shot and when to walk away from a shot. Not all conditions are conducive to long-range shots just as not all conditions are conducive to short range shots. Ethics dictates when to pull the trigger with both groups...or at least they should.

Spot on, when the wind is gusting crazy and I can't either close the distance or stalk around until the wind is right in my face I would rather walk away.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
ZekeShikar

200 grain SWC lead at 175 yards leaving the muzzle at 900 fps, "No road signs were killed or injured..." just a little lead smear on the paint. And I was much younger then. and it was there waiting to be important. Point taken though, I don't condone a lot of things I did just out of college! Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sheephunterab said:
Doping the wind is yet another essential skill the long-range shooter must posses. Constant winds are relatively easy to compensate for but gusting or inconsistent winds may not be. The real ethics test for a long range shooter is not the distance he shoots but rather he knows when to take the shot and when to walk away from a shot. Not all conditions are conducive to long-range shots just as not all conditions are conducive to short range shots. Ethics dictates when to pull the trigger with both groups...or at least they should.[/QUOTE]

I find myself agreeing with you way more times than not. Very well said.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
RichardAustin,

I am curious what state are you from or raised in?

Is that the original cape on your ram?