THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    what do you think of my 3 rifle battery ???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you think of my 3 rifle battery ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
i have a 45-70 guide gun and was thinking of what i would add to this one to have the perfect three rifle battery, i am not into varnmiting or small stuff though i am not against it, so what do you think of the 45-70 416 rigby and 338-06 as the perfect medium to king kong game???

thanks!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I think it sounds like 2 more guns than the "average hunter" NEEDS but not nearly enough firepower for a gun nut! gunsmile

The most important thing about your battery is that it pleases you. Wink

By the way, when does open season on King Kong begin? Cool

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What do you hunt?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
wstrnhuntr...thanks for the "king kong" comment, had a big laugh...

i am looking at hunting deer, elk, brown bear, hogs, buffalo, kudu, eland, warthogs, and maybe if i am lucky a nice prize african buff like that one george

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
and the occasional squirrel Big Grin

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are being practical;
.45-70 good brush gun out to 150yds or so, will handle everything in NA, but the brown bear.
I love my .338-06, but the good ole .30-06 is more practical, this gets you out to 350yds or so for open country hunting (.300winmag is a bit better if you like longer shots).
I would get a .375h&h instead of the .416. Again, I have a .404jeff & love it but the .375h&h is more practical. A great brown bear or moose in BB country, and will take the all the big five in Africa w/ good bullets & shot placement. Those three would pretty much cover all your big game hunting needs w/ the least fuss. That reminds me, I need to get a .375h&h soon. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A three rifle battery? that is crazy talk, crazy talk I tell ya. A man can't do it. What happens when you need a back up gun? or a extra gun for "your kids" or a new muzzleloader for that new hunt. Three rifles, come on now is that the lie you are telling your wife. We are hunters here lies are not needed. Now if the question is about 13 rifles, that sounds better. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
On a budget three rifles is probably all you need
but for vesatility they should be differnt calbers.I dont believe an man can own to many bolt actions or whatever one prefers,If for whatever reason an alien lands on earth and restricts me to 3 guns I would choos a .22 rimfire my 340 weatherby and my Beloved .270 winchester.Until then then I will try to keep my battery limited to 15 or so rifles and half again as many pistols.Not to mention a few good old Red Riders and Daiseys. beer

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your choices !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Cal30,

If I could only have 3 Rifles it would be my Anscutz .22 rimfire. I've only had it two weeks but I already know it will be in the cabinet for a while.

My Sauer 202 in 308win. not a lot you can't knock over with it.

The third rifle I don't own, YET!!! It would be a 375 H&H double rifle with a nice bit of wood and some side plates but not overly fussy. I'd have a small Swaro on top and all I'd need would be the buff at the other end!!

Wink

So many guns and hunts, and so little annual leave!!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well.... I've got 5 right now, but will soon only have 4. I've got a Winchester stainless in 270win that I plan to keep for antelope and deer. A Winchester stainless in 300wsm that I like and can use from deer to elk or Africa. A Winchester in 375H&H that is for our next trip to Africa. I've also got a Winchester in 338win and a Remington in 35whelen. In the next few weeks, after several more trips to the range, I'll decide which one stays and which one goes. There just aint room for more than 4 rifles in my rack. In truth I could hunt every thing in N.A. with two rifles, either the 270 and the 35whelen, or the 338win for that matter, add the the 375 for Africa and your done. But like others have said I like keeping a backup around, so that is where the 300wsm comes in.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helo the capfire:
Excuse me for butting in, but in my humble opinion a thre rifle battery should be a 22 rim fire of good qulity,. someting inthe .270 to 30-06 range and your 45/70. The reason is simple. The .22 is great for small game, wild dogs in the hem house, and plinking, and teaching children to shoot. The .270 to 3006 will take all of the North American game you might run into, Amunition is easy to find, cheap and easy to reload, Most are simple to work on and it is good out to 300 meters without any problem. In fact if I could have only one rifle it would be a 30-06 bolt action with both a removable scope and iron peep sights. I beleive that the 45/70 loaded properly will take care of the rest of the North Americam animals including the great bears. As for Africa, a 30-06 with the proper bullets will handle any thing up to and including Capes. Hemmingway and Rosevelt both used Springfields in .30. If you have togo into the brush after one, the 45-70 will do, and your guide will have the fire power to back you up. Placement trumps power any day. You will be more likely to shoot the smaller guns more and be a better shot for it.
Just my humble (and off the wall) thoughts.

Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
great responses...

keep em coming....

what about the 9.3-62 instead of the 338-06???

yes....budget is an issue...

id be happy to be in anyones gun donation program if anyone is so generous...aint too proud... roflmao

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not nearly enough - remember If you know how many guns you own, you need more

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Judge & Fallow, boomstick is only talking big game rigs. The .45-70 covers brushgun, a .270, .280, .30-06 or 7mag, .30mag would cover all his hunting needs out to 350-400yds, & a .375h&h is probably the best single rifle for africa, if only because you can stretch the range a bit more than w/ a .416. No flys on the 9.3x62 but it isn't going to have the 400yd capability of a fast 7mag or 30mag. If you are going to have only 3 to hunt all of the world (what a sad thought) you've got to think about all of the conditions, laws & game animals. A .416 makes a less than perfect sheep/goat rig, or Klipspringer rifle. The .45-70 is only a 150yd gun, the .416 maybe gets you to 250, if you can live within those restrictions, what you originally outline will work, but I'll stick w/ my original picks. thumb As far as budget, get a CZ in .375h&h & .30mag. You'll have basically identical rigs.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
fredj338...

i think the 416 is a good 300 yard rifle...

check out these specs...

http://www.cpcartridge.com/416rigby-B.htm

what do you think???

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
If I were looking at adding two rifles to the 45/70. I'd pick a Winchester Stainless Classic in .375 H&H (which I own) and one of the new Winchester Stainless Featherweights in 30/06 (which I am tempted to own) stock them in similar fashion (like maybe McMillan fiberglass), and put similar optics on them (1.75x6 Leupold and 2.5x8 Leupold). Then you would have a heavy and light battery with which to hunt the whole world and never really have to worry about ammo availability. Standard 180 gr. bullets in the 30/06 and 270 gr. bullets in the .375 H&H have the same trajectory -sight them in both dead on at 200 yards.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good stuff redlander...

what do you think about the 375 taylor/chatfield??? the 338 win mag case necked up to the 375....

i hear a lot about the inefficiency of thr 375 h,h....i know the animal does not know or care but i do like the idea of cartridge efficiency. i feel that i would always pack enough of my own rounds with me from mild to wild but i know about murphys law that happens with almost the same consistancy as the law of gravity. also i love stainless rifles too. just do, like a moth to the flame...ouch!!!!!!

p.s. what about the 300 dakota...wow! what ballistics!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
boom, the only thing wrong w/ your chart, is Barnes is the only maker of a 300gr bullet. If your rifle won't shoot it, & this isn't uncommon w/ the 'X', you are really looking @ 340-400gr bullets (NF makes a 340gr). Drive them fast enough to make them flat shooting & the .416Rigby will beat the snot out of you. nut I'll stick w/ the .375h&H as king of African utility, 260grNP or NBT @ 2800fps is pretty flat shooting & you can do it comfortably in a 9# rifle. The same weight .416 is going to be brutal. Use a 350gr woodleigh @ 2400fps & you have a pretty good DG round.
Nothing against the .375/.338 but why, unless you have an existing rifle you want to convert, just buy a good .375h&h. You'll lose some powder space in the shorter round when using 300-350gr bullets. It comes down to what you want though, just my ramblings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the 45-70 I'd go with a 270Win., and then a 375H&H.

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good stuff fredj338...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
what i like about the 375 taylor most is it can be made in the browning blr. immagine a fast acting quick shouldering brush gun with the power of the h,h jump

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom, that can be done in a 375 H&H platform. RIfles Inc and a few other outfits will put you one together that is 6 and a half to 7#. Mine has a 21 inch barrel and is just about 7.5 # with scope and ammo aboard. It handles like a 20 ga bird gun. It will use ammo that is readily available about anywhere big game ammo is sold. Good hunting.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
i have a 45-70 guide gun and was thinking of what i would add to this one to have the perfect three rifle battery, i am not into varnmiting or small stuff though i am not against it, so what do you think of the 45-70 416 rigby and 338-06 as the perfect medium to king kong game???

thanks!

Well, the .45-70, .338-06, and .416 is a fine rifle battery, and I wouldn't be surprised if you do most of your hunting in the lower-48 with the .338-06.

I only have "one-rifle" battery, and this only rifle is a Ruger M77 MK-II, stainless, .338WM-caliber, topped by a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-x scope. However, the following would be a very nice rifle battery:

.22LR (Ruger 10/22)
.338WM

But a dream "one-rifle" battery would be a D'Arcy Echols "Legend" .338WM with a stainless/fluted barrel and a synthetic stock, topped with the same scope as my Ruger. This rifle, specially since I have no interest in hunting Africa, is all I would ever "dream" for my type of hunting in Alaska.
-----
Again, I do like your rifle battery, and can't see anything wrong with it.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
My battery is a .22 Browning Semi-Auto, .257 Wby Vanguard, .300 H&H M70, and a .338 WinMag.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote