THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    White House Ends Law Enforcement Program at Wildlife Refuges

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White House Ends Law Enforcement Program at Wildlife Refuges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.courthousenews.com...at-wildlife-refuges/

White House Ends Law Enforcement Program at Wildlife Refuges

October 3, 2018 BRANDI BUCHMAN

WASHINGTON (CN) – Wildlife refuge managers, the people who police illegal hunting, fishing, trapping and pollution, among other stewardship duties, are being phased out, according to an internal memo obtained by a federal watchdog.

Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, or PEER, were first to obtain the September 21 memo from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service which laid out a two-stage strategy to decommission the Interior’s 115-year old refuge law enforcement program.

According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, wildlife refuge managers perform much of the same duties that uniformed police officers do, in addition to their stewardship duties.

Since they are often stationed in remote swaths of lands, the gun-toting officers conduct search warrants, monitor borders, assist local and state police with drug busts, clear out areas where marijuana is grown illegally and have the authority to carry out arrests.

But according to a memo issued by Cynthia Martinez, chief of the National Wildlife Refuge System, to regional refuge chiefs in eight zones, the law-enforcement function of wildlife refuge managers will be phased out completely by the year’s end.

“In the 21st century, the threats facing visitors and wildlife are now more complex than ever,” Martinez wrote. “Protection of the National Wildlife Refuge System now requires a full-time officer corps that combines a concentrated effort on conservation protection, traditional policing and emergency first response to protect, serve and educate the public and service staff.”

The official decommissioning of more experienced, higher-pay grade officers began on Tuesday and will continue on a rolling basis through Dec. 31.

“All other current dual function officers will cease carrying out law enforcement duties on January 1, 2019,” Martinez wrote.

According to PEER, there are currently 61 dual-function officer slots versus 239 full time officers.

The majority of dual function officers are stationed in 18 states, including Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming.

The cutbacks come at a time when Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has expanded access to hunters and anglers at wildlife refuges throughout the United States.

Last month, Zinke announced the opening of an additional 251,000 acres for hunting and fishing and expanded access for both activities at 377 and 312 refuge sites respectively.

The move to reduce law enforcement at a time when parks and refuges are experiencing their heaviest visitation levels seen in years is risky, according to Jeff Ruch, PEER’s executive director.

“Because of the multiple public uses and growing visitation to refuges, the law enforcement role in these preserves is complex and increasingly demanding,” Ruch said in a statement. “We are worried that the thin green line protecting both visitor safety and refuge resources is about to snap.”

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has not made any indication that officer numbers will be replenished at a later time.

The service did not immediately return request for comment Wednesday.

After Ammon Bundy’s armed seizure of Oregon’s Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in 2016, PEER conducted a formal survey of all refuge managers in 2017.

The group found nearly 75 percent surveyed believed refuge visitors were not as safe as they might have been just five years ago.

According to the survey, 1 in 5 managers reported that they, members of their staff or even members of their family were on the receiving end of threats and other harassment related to the department’s resource management policies.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9416 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Confused

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have no underlying facts but this article fails to even make inquiry of a several important relevant facts that could make this decision perfectly appropriate.

1) What percentage of time is actually spent on activities that require "powers of arrest" by these dual role officers?

2) What is the current "back log" of work that these Wildlife Refuge Managers do related to their other responsibilities?

3) How many "on view" arrests did these individuals ever make?

4) Will they retain their authority to issues citations? You don't have to necessarily be a "full fledged law enforcement officer" to issue a citation. Currently, our justice system has many positions that our "Code Enforcement Officers" that have authority to issue citations but not powers of arrests.

5) What is the future training requirement of these dual role officers and how does that impact their other duties?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly Mike.

Lots of benefits in pay and retirement to being a Federal LEO.

Do the managers need to be LEO certified.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew one of the federal officers at Horicon marsh.He was one of the biggest violators in the area.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
OK, we got 2000 acres W Refuge in county that has at least half plus million acres of NF land
I’m pretty positive, GW and FS LEO could check on it here and there, instead of having full time score of employees on that sliver of land

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like all government agencies, the USF&W Service can undoubtedly use constant re-focusing and training. All bureaucracies will bog down and lose focus without it. However, eliminating enforcement will benefit no one but those who would abuse their rights and privileges. The citizenry cannot be trusted to look after the land or wildlife themselves as has been demonstrated for the last couple of centuries. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Like all government agencies, the USF&W Service can undoubtedly use constant re-focusing and training.

Like how to issue import permits.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that State Game Wardens also policed these places. Never heard anyone say different.
If Game Wardens also patrol these places, it seems like a removal of redundancy.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought that State Game Wardens also policed these places.

I thought they did. I have only hunted on a National Wildlfe Refuge twice, both times at Aransas NWR for White tails and Feral Hogs and I thought I saw Texas Game Wardens patroling the area.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote