THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What would you do? If you share a camp with a hunter that complaines about everything

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do? If you share a camp with a hunter that complaines about everything
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Parameters:

Guided hunt with meals and lodging
Very low cost budget hunt.

Even though his complaints were justified. What do you say/do with a guy who complains openly to the rest of the camp?

I hunted with a man this past weekend in North Texas that at first I found to be a mature, well spoken, gentleman.
By day two I couldn't stand to be around him and neither could the rest of the party.
I spent my time away from him at all cost and didn't shake his hand at the end of the hunt.
I did however like his brother.

I dream of one day hunting in Africa but to be honest I could not imagine being around this guy for 10 days....
I left one day early because of him.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You simply say:

"I understand you are dissatisfied but complaining to me isn't going to change things and you are ruining my trip.

I am trying to enjoy myself so please don't express your concerns to me anymore."

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
You had bullets didn't you?

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shared a camp in Africa with a DEMOCRAT first one I ever met. We argued every night. I loved it . We parted friends . Although he was disapointed he couldn't change my ideas on anything. Part of the hunt I recon,different people, different views, but just bitchin I can't stand.You should have jumped the asshole.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a guide once that never spoke unless spoken to. That was a loooong 8 day, 1x1 hunt.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
"SHUT THE F#@K UP, YOU MORON! IT'S A HUNTING TRIP, NOT THE COUNTRY CLUB!" Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
"Had a guide once that never spoke unless spoken to. That was a loooong 8 day, 1x1 hunt."

Ouuuuuuuch!

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ted, You need to find "something" he doesn't agree with and tell him all about it at every chance, right in his face. If you finally goad him long enough, he will either take a swing, or leave you alone(and tell tales about how bad you are). Big Grin

For example, you could tell him what a "great caliber" the 270Win is(for coyote size critters). wave rotflmo BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
low blow,Hot Core,low blow Big Grin

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just say "tell some one who gives a phuck". Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lock and load!! Cool

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted Oct 5, 9:15 PM Hide Post
You simply say:

"I understand you are dissatisfied but complaining to me isn't going to change things and you are ruining my trip.

I am trying to enjoy myself so please don't express your concerns to me anymore."

Mike

What Mike said, but....be sure to sprinkle dog poop on his boots and then walk off.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I've always chosen who I share camp with.

Are these guided hunts always this way, with folks you don't know, kinda like a paid guided tour and whoever shows up goes?

My grandfather always told me, "If you really want to get to know somebody, spend 3 days camping with them."

It works brilliantly to weed out girlfriends too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent opportunity to practice the three S's Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Tough deal. I took a group of 3 other guys to Tanzania once. Two of the guys were great, still friends to this day.

The third guy? Oh my goodness. We all greed we would kill him and leave him there if given the opportunity.

Having someone like that in camp really can ruin the "camp experience". You want to be nice, polite, non-confrontational, but I guess there comes a point when something must be said.

Some guys just don't get it.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
"SHUT THE F#@K UP, YOU MORON! IT'S A HUNTING TRIP, NOT THE COUNTRY CLUB!" Big Grin

A well-executed "STFU" is a powerful weapon. Wink

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strut10:
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:

A well-executed "STFU" is a powerful weapon. Wink

+1.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
You had bullets didn't you?

Smiler

Chuck

Chuck, that REALLY made me laugh...a LOT. I was not expecting that one.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
THere is a relevance to what you pay, and what you get, especially in a hunting camp. If it had been say a $2500 or $3000 guided pronghorn hunt, versus say a $800 hunt, there is a huge difference. And to complain only makes it worse.

Myself, I would ignore that person for as long as I could, it takes a lot to ruin any hunting trip in my book, like the old saying goes, "the worst day of hunting it better than the best day at work"! And after enough, I would sympathize and try to reason with them to compare apples to apples, and bring out the positive aspects. You got your game, you had food to eat, you had good company, seen some new country, and there is a lot more to a hunt than the kill. Yeah it hurts to drop $2k or $10k (or more) on a hunt and never pull the trigger, but it happens. It can be soooo much worse, no food, lousy cooks, wild stock,weather,drunken guides,no game, inexperienced guides with little or no knowledge,the list can go on and on.

Next time you want to try for a pronghorn, do-it-yourself, hardest part is drawing, and if you need any suggestions drop me a line. The public land in this state is yours to!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I can't say I've ever been too disappointed with my company while hunting (knock on wood). I'm sure it is bound to happen sooner or later.

I did have a hunt for pronghorn in Wyoming where there was some other hunters in camp filming for an outdoor show. It changed the camp dynamic a bit. I found myself, and some of the other hunters, going hiking and hanging out in the dining tent more to avoid constantly having a camera in our faces. It didn't ruin my hunt, just changed the way some of the people acted since they were being filmed.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother and I went on a caribou hunt several years ago and got put in camp with three other guys, who were all friends-- ora at least acquaintances. Five guys in a 16X12 plywood cabin (including the dining and cooking area.) One of the other three was one of the most obnoxious people I have ever seen who was not in custody. Bossed the cook around like she was a slave,racist, profane, loud... oh, and he drank more than his share of the (flown in by plane) beer.
My brother is one of the most easy-going people you could meet, gets along with anybody. Except this guy. By day three he was ready to kill him. He quietly told one the guides that this guy had to tone it down or he wanted to be moved to another camp, even if by doing so he didn't get a chance at a caribou. The guide just quietly nodded.

Next day my brother and I were on a hill about a mile away from, but in sight of, camp. Mr Obnox had stayed in camp (having filled his tags with two little scrawny yearling bulls). Suddenly we heard all this yelling and hollering coming from camp. When we got back in the evening Mr. Obnox was sweet as pie, helping with the cooking, saying his pleases and thank-yous. Not a bad word slipped from his lips for almost the rest of the trip. I've always wondered what the guide said to him....

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or the one I had to use a couple years ago. "Sir, were you born an asshole, or did your parents provide special instruction for you?"

He was pissed until the other two guys started laughing, then he was embarassed.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Quit your bitching and start drinking or hunting.

Had it told to me once or twice when I managed to injure my knees. Of course this was not a guided hunt.

Told it to my buddy last weekend during the Nebraska early doe season.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catosilvaje:
I shared a camp in Africa with a DEMOCRAT first one I ever met. We argued every night. I loved it . We parted friends . Although he was disapointed he couldn't change my ideas on anything. Part of the hunt I recon,different people, different views, but just bitchin I can't stand.You should have jumped the asshole.
Had that happen once on hunt. We argue politics, then the group would argue rifle cartriges. He was a Dem, but shared my opinion on reasonable hunting carts.

Drank a bit more than I wanted to that weekend, but great time.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catosilvaje:

Catosilvaje:

You and I would get along just great. Sometimes I take the opposite side of a debate just to liven things up a bit.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Demoncrats hunt?

Hmmm ... whoda thunk it. Kind of goes against their whole feel-osophy.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey inside every Democrat is a gun loving, god fearing, good minded Conservative just busting to get out. Most just don't know it yet Wink lol

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote