THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Test drove my 450 Ultra Mag on a WA State bull.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Test drove my 450 Ultra Mag on a WA State bull.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
Washington State Obsevatory Unit bull, 300 yards with a 26", 14 twist barrel, muscle brake. Benchmark built 450 Ultra Magnum. Shooting a (.458 cal) 350gr Speer HotCore just shy of 2800 fps. It flat CRUSHED him to say the least. Dead right there, didn't even twitch after the shot. I recovered the bullet just under the hide on the off side, the recovered weight of the bullet was 248.4 gr.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting wildcat - 450 UltraMag. I'm having a 416 UltraMag built (aka., 416 UltraCAT). I plan to use it in Africa on Cape buffalo, elephants, etc.

What are your plans for the 450 UltraMag. I believe the 338 RUM or 375 RUM would make better long range elk cartridges.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
I already shoot a .375 Ultra Mag and a 260 Accubond.

This is a 260gr .375 bullet recovered from a mule deer shot at 560 yards facing me head on, the hit was center of the chest and I recovered the bullet near the pelvic bone.

I wanted a big bore but something out of the ordinary and I didn't want a factory offering. I like to do my own thing, I had PTG build me a reamer and RCBS do the dies. I haven't made any definite plans for the rifle in the future but it would be safe to say, depending on my bullets selection I can take anything on the planet with it.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was the range? How fast do you think the bullet was going when it hit?

I'm using that bullet in my 458 Win Mag for deer this year. I was told that bullet is "too soft" for whitetail deer at Win Mag velocities.
Shoot a few more and let us know how it works.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMACK!!!!:

This is a 260gr .375 bullet recovered from a mule deer shot at 560 yards facing me head on, the hit was center of the chest and I recovered the bullet near the pelvic bone.

I wanted a big bore but something out of the ordinary and I didn't want a factory offering. I like to do my own thing, I had PTG build me a reamer and RCBS do the dies. I haven't made any definite plans for the rifle in the future but it would be safe to say, depending on my bullets selection I can take anything on the planet with it.

Smack,

I admire your independent spirit. That 450 RUM with be GREAT in Africa, yet you'd not likely notice much difference in field performance from the 375 or 416 RUM. Some PHs like the big heavy for caliber bullets shooting buffalo thru the bush - they say less deflection from hitting twigs, etc. between you and the buffalo.

Another topic - what do you think that 260 Accubond would look like if you shot that deer at 50 yrds head on? It mushroomed quite a bit at 560 yds, maybe it'd be a pancake at 50 yds, which could be a problem for penetration? Nosler says not to worry about the penetration issue with the Accubond and recommends no upper limit on velocity. Your thoughts?

Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great looking gun! Did you build it or have it built? (maybe I missed that somewhere)

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
quote:

Smack,

I admire your independent spirit. That 450 RUM with be GREAT in Africa, yet you'd not likely notice much difference in field performance from the 375 or 416 RUM. Some PHs like the big heavy for caliber bullets shooting buffalo thru the bush - they say less deflection from hitting twigs, etc. between you and the buffalo.

Another topic - what do you think that 260 Accubond would look like if you shot that deer at 50 yrds head on? It mushroomed quite a bit at 560 yds, maybe it'd be a pancake at 50 yds, which could be a problem for penetration? Nosler says not to worry about the penetration issue with the Accubond and recommends no upper limit on velocity. Your thoughts?

Regards, AIU

My experience is, I feel it would do just fine. I point blanked a Mulie at 20 yards in the chest with a hand load from a .270 WSM and a 140gr Accubond right at about 3200fps. The the recovered bullet almost looked identical to the recovered .375 260 Accubond. I recovered the .270 140gr Accubond just under the hide high on the Mulie's left rear hip. It is my experience that they only expand so much and are a very stout bullet. I have a feeling point blank in the chest with a 260 Accubond out of a 375 RUM @ 3000 fps And it's going right on through like freight trail. I'll have to try it to know for sure.

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
Great looking gun! Did you build it or have it built? (maybe I missed that somewhere)

Greg

Greg,

I was shooting a .375 Ultra one day and thought, I should neck this bad boy up to .458 and give it a try, I did consider .416 diameter but .458 won the debate for a mid range crusher. I had the reamer built by Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool And Gauge. The dies built by RCBS and ordered the 26" 14 twist barrel from Lilja. Then I sent everything to Benchmark barrels in Arlington WA and had them smith the complete custom rifle.

I went with a Harrel's brake the first go around but after a few bench sessions and having to peel my bloody t shirt off my should. I talked to some big bore guys that told me that brake wasn't working properly with the small hole pattern for my bore/ cartridge combination. So I sent it back to Benchmark and had the Harrell's replaced with a 4 port muscle brake and it made the rifle more manageable withe the 500gr class bullets off the bench.

Here is the first brake(Harrel's)

My shoulder after day one on the bench with the rifle and the Harrel's brake. Day two was worse, day one softened me up and day two hammered me!

This is the new 4 port Muscle brake with a extra port machined in the top and a set screw installed. Pictured with a 450 Ultra Magnum cartridge loaded with a 370gr CEB BBW#13 Non Convenional Hollow Point with a hi BC polymer tip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A nice elk crusher wow cool ect dancing

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
The rifle was built and chambered to shoot the CEB BBW#13 Non Cons. I just had a rough go making it all happen before my elk season. Broken scopes, trashing aluminum bases and rings, quick release rings failing. Just a pile of recoil issues, ran out of CEB's, had to rush to put together a load for my elk season. I almost left the 450 Ultra at home if it hadn't been for the 350 HotCores shooting so well. The CEB's BC dwarfs the 350 HotCore. I'm also going to give a assortment of custom Hawk bullet spire points a try.

Here is a little closer look at the CEB BBW#13 Non Con hollow point. I'm also going to order and try some of the 420gr CEB's

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
CEB should have the new ESP Raptors, double ended BBW#13 nose profile with FN Solid one end and HP NonCon the opposite, available along with the tip inserts in the next month or so – 230gr in .375 caliber and 350gr and 400gr in .458 caliber. They should work very well in your Ultra Mags.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
CEB should have the new ESP Raptors, double ended BBW#13 nose profile with FN Solid one end and HP NonCon the opposite, available along with the tip inserts in the next month or so – 230gr in .375 caliber and 350gr and 400gr in .458 caliber. They should work very well in your Ultra Mags.

dancing tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Speer 350 on two whitetails yesterday from my 458 Win Mag. The buck was through the neck, any bullet or would have had the same result.
The doe was a better test of the bullet. The doe was walking almost straight toward me down a steep hillside at 50 yards. I hit her in the back of the neck near the shoulders. The bullet it the spine at a shallow angle and kept going relatively straight, exiting at the rear of the rib cage. The load was a middle load of IMR 4198, less than an Ultra Mag, more than a 45-70. From your experience and mine, I won't be afraid of Full power 458 mag loads with this bullet.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dead right there, didn't even twitch after the shot.
I'm not surprised. That's a mighty big hammer for an elk.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote