Find
Notify
Tools

Reasonable minimum elk cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I do notice, those that don't live in elk country tend to prefer heavier weaponry... that right there should be a hint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slenk:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Not sure what that has to do with anything...

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
I do notice, those that don't live in elk country tend to prefer heavier weaponry... that right there should be a hint.

+1

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed most of my elk with a 270 Win. A few more with the 375 H&H, 7 mm Mag, 7 mm Mauser and 450/400. My minimum would be the 7 mm Mauser with 160 grain Noslers. That's not to say some other smaller calibers might not also work.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sure part of that comes from the fact that if you're coming from out of state to hunt elk, a hunt costs a lot of money and usually doesn't last more than a week, so people tend to bring a cannon so that they don't have to pass up on quartering shots or head on shots, or even Texas heart shots.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
And the other side of the coin being, if you buy your resident over the counter license and hunt them in your back 40. You can take your time, wait for the right shot angle at a very comfortable distance and shoot it with whatever caliber makes you happy.
Its a treat and expensive for me to elk hunt. I take a big gun, but I do bring one I have shot lots and am comfortable with in terms of recoil.
If I could just get those Kentucky elk to move 3 counties in deer season then I could legally harvest one on my deer tag with my deer rifle. But alas I'm still waiting. coffee

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kjjm4:
quote:

I'm sure part of that comes from the fact that if you're coming from out of state to hunt elk, a hunt costs a lot of money and usually doesn't last more than a week, so people tend to bring a cannon so that they don't have to pass up on quartering shots or head on shots, or even Texas heart shots.

Actually, it's been my observation out-of-state hunters actually have more time elk hunting than us locals, who have jobs and limited time.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
And the other side of the coin being, if you buy your resident over the counter license and hunt them in your back 40. You can take your time, wait for the right shot angle at a very comfortable distance and shoot it with whatever caliber makes you happy.
Its a treat and expensive for me to elk hunt. I take a big gun, but I do bring one I have shot lots and am comfortable with in terms of recoil.
If I could just get those Kentucky elk to move 3 counties in deer season then I could legally harvest one on my deer tag with my deer rifle. But alas I'm still waiting. coffee

That sounds good, but is rare that you can "shoot a bull in the back 40"... most of us here in MT can't afford the multi-million dollar property that would hold elk during the season... most of us are hunting public ground.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My favorite elk story involves a guy from Ohio that came out one year to hunt elk and muley with the outfitter I have hunted with. The guy was telling uss that he had wanted to hunt elk for 35 years and had finally gotten the chance. The outfitter had me drive the guy out to the gun range to check his gun out and the guy was pretty dang good.

Now he was using a Model 99 Savage in .308. Opening morning, in a 30 minute time frame, he killed a 5x5 bull and a small 4x4 muley with either 2 or 3 shots total fired. We were on a private low fence ranch that backed up to the National Forest. But this guy showed up with a gun he was comfortable and confident with, that he was used to, and he accomplished what he wanted to accomplish with it.

I use the larger calibers even on white tail, simply because I want to be able to take any shot offered. It is not that important when setting in a blind watching a feeder, but given the opportunity, I prefer spot and stalk and shot conditions under that type of hunting are not always text book perfect.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've used a 308 quite a bit here in MT on deer and elk... works just fine.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have a pic of one of my friends kneeling beside a buffalo courtesy of a .308 Win.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my two main hunting rifles are a winchester push feed 7x57 ackley and a remingtin 700 in 8 mauser.
i built the 7 around the 139 gr bullet with a douglas 5r bbl in 10 twist and had it throated as such.
it is my go to elk rifle.
i just had a 25-06 done on a mauser action, with a slower twist bbl to shoot 95-100 gr bullets from.
that will be my deer,antelope rifle starting next year.
the poor 8mm remington 700 is used mainly on ground squirells with cast bullets.
i don't see things changing past that any time soon.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My elk calibers...

35 Remington (I know blasphemy but its amazing what you can do when you get to within a 100 yards)

358 Winchester

8x57 Mauser

270 Win

308 Win

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been my observation that almost all out-of-staters actually have jobs and some(most?) even have limited time.

I know the four elk hunts I've DYI in Co were 5-6 days actual hunting and I had to be back to work(job) the day after I returned to Al.

My experience in KILLING elk is that they are big, tough animals that tend to not show much/any reaction to a bullet strike. I've used a 270Win on one elk, dead, three shots/hits, elk ran 100 yards. I also used a 300Win/180grNPs two shots/hits...dead right there.

I'd advise eastern deer hunters to use the biggest gun they can shoot ACCURATELY , with Nosler NPs...and NEVER assume ya missed because the elk didn't react like a whitetail would to a hit.

my two cents and worth what ya paid for it.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk are extremely tough, I've always said they are tougher than moose. One guy said that some peoples hunting/shooting skills may not be up to par, well, going to a bigger caliber isn't going to help things, its going to make it worse. Use what you can shoot well, hopefully bigger than smaller but the big guns really only buy you extra distance.
Good bullets & good penetration is the key on elk or any other animal, there's no magic to killing them.
I've taken 25 elk since 1970, the first 6 were with a custom 270 & 130 gr Hornady slugs, after that I used 30/06's, one 7 mag, a couple with a 257 Ackley & one with the 7X57, again, use good bullets.
There was an article in Handloader a few years ago by Dave Scovill that showed the number of moose taken in one of the Scandinavian countries with several different calibers, it also showed the number of shots fired & the distance the moose traveled after the shot. There were thousands of moose taken in the survey. The 6X55 Swede was right at the top, some of the big guns were quite low on the list, the reason being, the shooter was over gunned. Placement, placement, placement!

Dick

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
It's been my observation that almost all out-of-staters actually have jobs and some(most?) even have limited time.

I know the four elk hunts I've DYI in Co were 5-6 days actual hunting and I had to be back to work(job) the day after I returned to Al.

My experience in KILLING elk is that they are big, tough animals that tend to not show much/any reaction to a bullet strike. I've used a 270Win on one elk, dead, three shots/hits, elk ran 100 yards. I also used a 300Win/180grNPs two shots/hits...dead right there.

I'd advise eastern deer hunters to use the biggest gun they can shoot ACCURATELY , with Nosler NPs...and NEVER assume ya missed because the elk didn't react like a whitetail would to a hit.

my two cents and worth what ya paid for it.

14 elk shooting a 270 Win, with 150g Partitions at 3000 fps. Distances ranged from 15 to 400 plus yards, no real long range shots. None went further than 30 yards. All one shot kills. If you gut shoot them or shoot them in the butt, it will probably take a much larger caliber to anchor them.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kjjm4:
quote:

Actually, it's been my observation out-of-state hunters actually have more time elk hunting than us locals, who have jobs and limited time.

As if us out of state hunters don't actually have jobs and limited time as well? I tend to use a larger caliber for the exact reason listed above in that I want to be able to take any reasonable shot from whatever angle is offered to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am a little different than most but I have never wanted to kill an elk bad enough to shoot it in the ass. Too much good eating meat there.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
The thing with guides is this. You are hired to take people hunting who can't do for themselves. With this in mind, you should suspect that they quite possibly did not zero their own rifle, may not have practiced, probably are not in shape. These things are contributing to their abilities to make a good shot at the right time. With this in mind, do you really think everyone should be looked at this way?

Standard velocity rounds loaded with bullets designed to perform at those velocities are very effective. If you understand your choice of cartridge and it's performance, and apply it to your shots, you will find you can be every bit as successful.

Nate - Many of the clients hiring a guide/outfitter in a particular area are very experienced/compitent hunters, often times much more so than the average/local DIY guy. I've guided beginners, all the way to guys who have killed 200 plus species around the world. Often times they want access to private lands, that are not accessible otherwise, or are hiring a guide for his knowledge of a specific area, etc - but not just because they are clueless. Many of them are very good/experienced hunters!!!

I've drawn a tremendous rifle mule deer tag in Arizona - starting Dec. 14th. Its one of only 2 non-resident tags that were available for the first time in 2012! I've hired Chad Smith - Vaquero Outfitters to guide my hunt. He has a private ranch with exceptional bucks, and the ranch is roughly 250,000 acres. His knowledge/experience there over the past 10 yrs will be invaluable, something I could never learn in 6 days of hunting.

But my point as a "guide" is, I've literally seen 100 bull elk shot with my own two eyes, likely more - I honestly can't say! Not 3-4, but a whole lot of em. What I do know is, I've seen em shot by kids, women, DIY guys, in-experienced clients, very experienced clients, a couple of my hunting buddies who are very experienced hunters, and roughly 20 bulls I've killed myself. All with a huge range of calibers, bullets, etc, etc. The one single thing that resonated with me over the years, as it pertains to an elk is - they are DAMN TOUGH. Why more so than deer, sheep, bears, moose and other species I've hunted/guided, I don't know? But in my eyes, they are much tougher for some reason?

No doubt "experienced" hunters/killers like yourself, likely fair better than those with less experience. But, I've seen plenty of "experienced" hunters make marginal shots, bad shots, misses, etc - myself included. Anyone who says otherwise has either killed very little, or doesn't tell the truth.

My point out of all this was simply, I always suggest shooting elk with the biggest caliber one can handle effectively - and "most" folks can handle one of the many .300's currently available. At the same time, you second paragraph above is spot on - and obviously spoken from experience.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree, nothing wrong with hunting elk with a 375 H&H or a 500 Jeffery for that matter (that's what I may be doing lol). I knew someone from Seely Lake Montana at charity barbeque where we could "shoot the Buick" for a dollar. It was a big money maker shooting that 1955 Buick on blocks. He had a pre-64 375 H&H that his father gave him and used it to hunt deer and elk. He let me shoot it, and I was impressed. I asked him if it was a bit much for deer and he said: "They don't get up". I just disagree with the thought that it's needed.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The one piece of advice the outfitter I have hunted elk with in western Colorado gave me that has stayed with me, is that when hunting elk, as long as that sucker is on its feet, keep hitting it till it goes down.

That may be one of the more insidious sidfes of the elk hunting issue, especially for first timers, and that deals with shooting an animal that is already hit, again. Elk are tough animals and for folks used to hunting whitetails it can be a whole different ball game.

I just prefer to see folks use guns they are familiar with.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you guys think elk are tough you need to try a Mtn. goat!

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Maybe I am a little different than most but I have never wanted to kill an elk bad enough to shoot it in the ass. Too much good eating meat there.

465H&H

I suppose it matters if you are a trophy hunter with the meat as a side benefit or a meat hunter and don't care at all about the trophy. For me, the meat is the secondary benefit and I usually give a large portion of it away. Here in Texas, you can donate venison to the Hunters for the Hungry program. The hunter pays a flat fee to process the animal, and the meat goes to the local food bank. I usually donate at least half of the meat I shoot every year.

So, if I've worked my ass off, climbing mountains as a flat-lander Texan, and I happen to get a chance at an exceptional bull but the only shot is a severe quartering shot to the vitals ... yea, you and I must be different Walt because I'm taking that shot if properly outfitted with a premium bullet like the TSX and an adequate rifle capable of driving that bullet to the vitals. For me, that starts at 300 Mag of whatever variety.

But for the OP, options would be to go with the 7x57 and be damn picky about what shots he takes or add a break to his 338WM. Even better, what a great excuse for a new rifle, say a 300 WBY with a muzzle break. I've got a buddy who's 14 year old son, at the time, wanted something larger than his 243. I suggested a 300 WBY with break since the father already had a 300 WBY and I was loading all their ammo for them. We got the gun and I tested it first. I was really surprised how tame that rifle was being breaked. Seems to me that for a fellow who has medical issues restricting him from shooting a hard recoiling rifle, but still wants to hunt large / tough animals, this set up would be ideal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I am not sure how you define a severe quartering shot. If you mean in front of the rear leg and into the vitals through the stomach area, I might take that shot if no other is possible. I do hate cleaning stomach contents out of the abdominal cavity though. I did have to take that shot once on a wounded cape buffalo that had gored local villager in Zim. The 550 grain Woodleigh from a Lott made it all the way through the stomach, liver, left lung , rib cage, left shoulder and was found under the hide on the shoulder. I doubt any other Premium bullet would have done any better.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only got a cow tag, big difference between a cow and a 350 rutting bull, but it's still an elk. I'm not going to use a muzzle brake as my ears ring constantly now from 55 years as an avid shooter and hunter. I mail ordered a HS Precision stock for my 7mm Rem. mag. and borrowed bottom metal from another Rem. 700. It's shooting MOA out to 200 yards, haven't shot any farther yet since it's been in the new stock but I will. Load is 160 gr. Nosler Accubond at a little over 3,000 fps. I doubled a bath towel to simulate winter clothing and noticeable recoil with the 7 mag. wasn't any worse than my 7x57 is when wearing just a t- shirt. I just can't bring myself to elk hunt with my 7x57. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate and respect your opinions. Even though I load my 7x57 to modern pressures, the 20" bbl. limits it's velocity and range. I think the recoil of the 7 mag. will be fine when I'm wearing a heavy coat. I don't want to buy a new rifle for this one hunt and don't want to stay at home either. Your posts have given me much more confidence in my 7 mag. than I would have had before.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I think your 7x57 would work nicely.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
I think your 7x57 would work nicely.

+1 A lot of the Montana locals used them with plain old 175g CoreLokts and brought home their elk every year.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter - If it isn't gonna bang you up that 7 RM will work well. Get your mind off the gun now, shoot it plenty, but make it your "go to" for a bit and get some exersize. Your hunt will be pleasant and your gun familiar.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Context matters. It matters alot. If this were a deer rifle thread I would have no problem stating that the .22-250 is a great deer rifle around here. A .22-250 is not what I would take on a time-limited, pricey hunt around here. Not ever.

When I've gone away for elk, moose, deer I've been happy to have a .300 in my hands. Sometimes it has comforted me, sometimes it has seemed superflous. Twice it definitely helped.

If I lived in elk country, could pick and choose what nice weather days I go out, would never be looking at a "end of last day of my hunt and there's this elk 400 yds quartering" scenarios (see preceding paragraph) I'd be perfectly happy with a .270, 7X57.....maybe even a .25-06 with 120s.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
Swampshooter - If it isn't gonna bang you up that 7 RM will work well. Get your mind off the gun now, shoot it plenty, but make it your "go to" for a bit and get some exersize. Your hunt will be pleasant and your gun familiar.

+1 on that Nate, that's what I fully intend to do.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I skimmed through this thread quickly, but I am struck by the lack of two things:

1. Almost no one mentions how many elk they have killed (easy to say "xyz" will work if you have killed an elk or two), to say nothing of the number of six by's
2. Almost no mention of the bullet.

Seems Chuck 375 addressed both...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Elk can certainly be killed with smaller calibers, but in my opinion it makes sense to use a minimum of .30 caliber and the heaviest premium bullets that shoot well from your rifle. I hunt some nasty terrain and I want my elk dead in their in tracks. I shoot a .300 RUM and use 200grn TSX bullets. The last 5 bulls I have killed have traveled a sum total of 20 feet. I'm a big believer in the high shoulder shot.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this thread is still treading water

Not an elk but I recoverd a 130 grn Accubond from the last inch of the hind quarter
of the antelope buck I killed Sunday from a frontal shot
Thats nearly 3 feet deep from my .270 at 2950

Not the best elk rifle in the world no but it'll do....especialy if you shoot it good

Placement is still the key....bullet construction and a big .30 will help with bone but
gut shot or to low is bad with all of them

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ writer, I thought I gave a pretty good description of the calibers I've used over the years. I've also taken 11 with revolvers, 2 with the 41 maggie, 5 with the 44 maggie & 4 with a Ruger 45 Colt, all but one with cast slugs.
There is no such thing as a miniumim or maximum gun/caliber, its bullet placement & penetration, can anyone tell me something that is more important, I'd like to hear it.

Dick

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sixshot_01:
AZ writer, I thought I gave a pretty good description of the calibers I've used over the years. I've also taken 11 with revolvers, 2 with the 41 maggie, 5 with the 44 maggie & 4 with a Ruger 45 Colt, all but one with cast slugs.
There is no such thing as a miniumim or maximum gun/caliber, its bullet placement & penetration, can anyone tell me something that is more important, I'd like to hear it.

Dick

Sorry, I skimmed it quickly. But thanks for clarifying. You certainly have the resume and consequently credibility, at least IMO.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote