lets say cloven hooved game in north america,
150 yards,standing broadside

Question:
where do you hold on broadside game

Choices:
shoulders
behind the shoulders
head and neck

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I voted behind the shoulders as it is a most common shot for me however in some instances a different hold is required.
If I were looking at a Moose who was next to a pond/stream/river/lake I would want a shot that drops him on the spot ( I don't want to work on a Moose in the water) so I would opt for the head/neck shot. If I were in a similar situation to the shot I had a few years back on my largest Bull Elk I would take a high shoulder shot as I did in that situation and dropped him in his tracks. He was 80 to 100 yards away from a STEEP canyon and offered no head/neck shot and my only shot was offhand at 180 yards with a sling through a narrow shooting lane.
So ultimately I normally take a heart/lung shot but each situation is assessed individually and I don't try to force a favorite shot into every situation.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
shoulder is always my first choice.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the shoulders just because it works and most likely they'll drop not just from they're shoulders being broken but also from the shock to the CNS and if you go high on the shoulder you'll hit the spine. Ive never had to track one with a shoulder shot. Now the only down side of this is you'll get alot of bloodshot meat from the shoulders and most likely they wont be consumable. JMHO

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoulders. Break 'em down.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends what I'm shooting with. I voted behind the shoulders. The large majority of my deer are killed with a compound bow, shot behind the shoulders, or aiming at the far shoulder.
With a rifle, I tend to shoot the same shots as with a bow.

That doesn't work well with the bigger guns and callibers I have been using lately. 458 Win Mag/400's, 35 Whelen/250's, 30-06/180's all left running deer and tracking.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Low up tight behind the shoulder. I want the bullet 3 inches above the sternum. Inside 50 yards it winds up being a head shot better than half the time. But at 150 I shoot to pass the bullet 3 inches over the sternum and prefer quartering to or away to give me a little more travel inside the chest. I will head shoot them out beyond fifty if they are already hit though.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It tends to depend on the situation. If I am meat hunting, then it is behind the shoulder. If I am 12 hours backpack from the quads, and half way up a mountain, shoulders it is, several times so there is less to track and less to pack BOOM BOOM BOOM. I have read from a butcher, possibly here on the Forum, that lung shots are better for meat than head shots because the heart helps to bleed out the animal. I experimented last year and it seems to work well.
Good hunting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I always prefer a shoulder shot on elk. I hate to loose the meat but i hate chasin them for miles worse. They need to die where they stand.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cross hairs between the legs, aim 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the body, angled at the far shoulder generally works EVERY time...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go for the behind the shoulder on deer or antelope. On stuff that bites or is larger I go for the shoulder shot. I do not like the head shot. Over the years I have encountered 3 deer that had their bottom jaw blown off by people attempting a head shot. Two were recently shot, but one, a very nice 4 pt muley had been suffering for a few days.

Posts: 30 | Location: Casper Wyo | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
shoulder

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to hit at least one shoulder, going in or out, both if possible. I could care less about the loss of meat, I want the animal on the ground, then I can trim. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too voted for behind the shoulders. In reality, I think it gives you the largest deadly target area. We hunt moose & caribou for the meat but I always go behind the shoulders if possible. The problem for moose is that there is usually little reaction from them of their being hit. They just stand there. You'd swear it was a good hit but he just stands there. Once they realize "something's wrong", they'll take off for the deepest water they can find - then ya really gotta problem. In short, on moose. I'll put one behind the shoulders but if I become concerned that he's gonna take off, I'll put another one into his shoulder to break it. It ruins a lot of meat but at least he's down.
I've never tried a head/neck shot and from what I've read, they're too "iffy" so I won't try one. I know most of you guys are mainly conceerned with deer so my comments may not apply.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
On all animals I hold and advise hunters to hold tight behin the shoulder about 1/3 of the way up. In my experience shoulder shots especially with moose & bear (humps) the tendency to shoot too high is always there. The biggest bear in Alaska hasn't got a chance with a shot through the top of his heart and lungs. If you get a shoulder as well its a bonus.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot for the exit wound and I want that shot to at least take out the lungs. If perfect broadside then I hold tight behind the shoulders 1/3+ up from the bottom of the rib cage. I don't like losing a shoulder as well but I'm not against it if the animal goes down in a hurry.

The only time I've ever taken the high shoulder shot (CNS) was in Alaska. I was hunting black bear and I didn't want to track a bear period. I wanted him to drop and stay down. That shot is very effective to say the least.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to aim at the shoulders. Gives me the most room for error.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I voted "shoulders" but I actually aim right at the point of the shoulder usually. It almost always results in a heart shot with both front legs useless, thus a quick kill and short tracking job.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earlier in my hunting career I placed a shot behind the shoulder. I will still do so if an early morning or good light shot presents itself and the shoulder is not available. Now I work hard to position mmyself for a shoulder shot and if at last light, I only take a shoulder shot or pass.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
behind the shoulder, or angled thru one side to exit thru the far shoulder.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
right here.DRT ,150 yds ,took out the arteries on top of the heart.30-06,150 gr

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jb,

That looks eerily similar to a shot I made a few years back. 280 yards, exact same placement, 140 gr ballistic tip out of a 7mm Rem Mag. Dropped on the spot. Problem is, that shot doesn't always result in a DRT game animal. Made the same shot, same gun/bullet/etc, at 60 yards this past fall. Deer went roughly 70-80 yards (and no blood... Confused). If I'd been sitting next to a cedar swamp, I would have been in trouble, given that there was zero blood trail and no snow.

My personal thoughts:
-I've seen quite a few deer drop on the spot with heart/lung shots. ALL of them drop with a shoulder/spine shot.
-I've never seen a bullet that will give a good blood trail 100% of the time, so given the option, I'll anchor them in their tracks with either a neck or shoulder shot (the objective being to sever the spine).
-In all situations, I want a bullet that expends as much energy within the animal as possible - my worst tracking episode was a double lung hit whitetail doe with nosler partitions. I'm sure that they work well for the situations intended, but that was not one of them. 300 yards, no blood trail (small diameter entry and exit, fat plugged the holes immediately). Found her by persistence, and a bit of luck.
-bullet construction matters less than shot placement, but not by much... If a bullet don't expand, or has limited expansion in soft tissue, it will not deliver most of its energy to its intended target (with very big game being the exception). I don't care for thin or non-existent blood trails.
-I may lose a little meat, but I won't lose any deer that way. Which do you think is worse? JMHO

gd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Uncle Joe,

Like you need advise after killing all of God's creatures over most of the Western US and AK. Yeah! I know you were just bored and were curious about what others did. Well when I'm not completely winded I attempt to shoot through the heart/lung area regardless of angle presented. To specifically answer your question I try to hold right behind the front shoulder. I do thing though that a shot directly through the shoulders is more likely to give you a DRT result. The head/neck shot is too risky 99.9% of the time as the spine or brain have to be hit to cause a humane death. Flesh wounds in the neck or a jaw blown away from poor shooting is just not acceptable as it could have been avoided.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Behind the shoulder in the mornings on a doe for the freezer from a stand with sturdy rest for the rifle.

Shoulder for everything else.

Those that always aim behind the shoulder have never lost a nice animal.....that is why they still take that shot.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mark,i can't hold a candle to the pile of salt you need for your graveyard,but the words were kind and apprieciated.
i was curious to "others" reasons and holds and have myself held shoulders on game depending on set up and species.
that said i was taught to hold behind the shoulders as every ounce of that game animal ended up on the table and it was unaceptable to waste any portion.
truth be told the hair on the back of my neck goes up a bit when i hear someone say"always shoulders,no exceptions", thou i have been reminded in this conversation that there is country and cover that makes a shoulder DRT
shot the norm as tracking sign is not as easy or apparent as the conditions i am used to hunting with or in.
its all a learning process and the post was 50%
bored and 50% lets hear from others and i might learn something

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Behind the shoulder, unless I want the animal down right there, then I go to break the shoulders and get the animal off its feet.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll go for a "mobility kill" every time, as it allows me "leisure time" to decide if I need to shoot again

I go for the shoulder BECAUSE I want the animal immobilized. or atleast have it's mobility compromised

I greatly prefer a "less then perfect", or semi-broadside shot
because my "ideal target" is the OFFSIDE shoulder
With an offside shoulder shot I get to make a mess of the boiler room AND get a mobility kill

In 20-odd years of hunting I've never had to track an animal more than 60yards, and that ONE was actually hit
with my brother's (4 month old at the time) 1985 Saab turboSPG

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always prefer a shoulder shot on elk. I hate to loose the meat but i hate chasin them for miles worse. They need to die where they stand.

I agree on this one especially if dark is setting in or in brushy steep country.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I voted shoulders, but it really depends on the country I'm hunting. In thick stuff, I'd rather break them down and not have to do much tracking.

If its open country, I'll shoot behind the shoulder for the lung shot.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Shoulder, every time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Offside shoulder is preferred - I voted behind the shoulder - best room for error / lower meat loss combination.

But if I am close or want an immediate stop or don't have any other option I'm happy with a neck shot - I've taken several with immediately lethal results - and is much better than the texas heart shot on a deer facing away as well.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the shoulder shot on elk but rarely use it on deer. Most of my deer have dropped within 50yds when hit behind the shoulder, the rest were not much further.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
generally for the game mentioned behind the shoulder
post mortem on the elk I shot this past fall was one hole thru the heart ran 15-20 yards dead on the hoof

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot a game animal standing broadside for so long, I almost don't know where to hold! I usually shoulder shoot them, but I often use a harder bullet than some. If I were using a BT or Sierra on deer, I'd shoot behind the shoulder, if a NP or TSX I'd break some bone.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Found out this weekend that my wife prefers high shoulder shots that disrupt the CNS in a big way. 2 shots = 2 deer.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to go shoulders, then got cocky and decided to shoot neck shots. Worked well for some time, but it cost me a deer last fall - hit but not kilt, resulted in lost deer.

From this point on, I will proceed to shoot the shoulders out of my deer. DRT(dead right there) is a good acronym! Onward!!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted behind the shoulder but it really depends on the situation and the rifle. I generally hunt deer with a 375 H&H just because I love that rifle and thats what it is chambered in. When I take the 308 out I'll go for the shoulder unless a good head/neck is available, emphasis being on the head. Same with the 223 rem.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always desire at least one shoulder and prefer bof`um. They do not go far with both shoulders destroyed. 1/3 up is what I prefer also, because it typically results in a fine Blood Trail if it is needed.

And I use an Adequate Cartridge for the Game at hand.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easy answer is "aim for the exit hole". How the animal is standing determines where you're gonna aim.
Take a toy animal, any one will do. Then rotate the animal and determine where the bullet will pass OUT or the animal and what it will pass THRU while in transit, then you will see that "behind the shoulder", "thru the shoulder", "etc" doesn't count for a lot.
At the right angle, a behind the shoulder shot can render you a gut shot deer or a shoulder shot can give you a three legged deer that can go miles and miles before he dies.
I understand the question was "broadside game" but I just never seem to get those Christmas card poses from the game I'm hunting. And fwiw, I much prefer a angling shot.