New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM
 Login/Join

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I am considering a new rifle and am thinking about getting one in a 300 WSM. Please provide input on the pluses and minuses of this round. I am concerned about accuracy, ammo availability, if the round is just a fad or a sure thing, etc.

<Bill>
posted
A buddy of mine has two WSM rifles. He swares by them and they seem to be quite effective on game.

Here is a link to an article on the cartridge:
http://www.rifleshooter.com/Project%20guns/300wsm.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one in a M-70 Classic Lamiated. I just got it back from the gunsmith, I had the trigger worked over and a bedding job. Since the Gunshop that I bought the rifle from didn't do a proper job mounting the scope, I had a set of talley's installed and 8 x 40 mounting screws. Now I can tell you that out of the box I was able with a trigger that was to heavy suspect scope mounts and bedding I was still able with factory loads put four shots into less 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards , I did it a couple of time before I turned my rifle over to my smith. I will be resighting in this week, should shoot better. The Cartridge is a good one, I think only time will tell. Oh I just shoot 180 gr Bullets.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The .300 WSM should be an excellent cartridge, but it's hardly going to do anything that a .300 H&H, .308 Norma, or .300 Winchester won't do at least as well. It's hardly revolutionary, bit it IS about a half-inch shorter than the original .300 Winchester Magnum. From the sounds we hear, that shorter length is one heck of a big deal in the minds of some folks. To me it's not, so I'll stay with the 1963-version .300 Win. for my own use.

AD

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Gearge: What scope did you mount? I have a spare Leupold 3.5x10 in matte finish and wondered how it would look on an M70 laminated. Funny you mentioned this model because I was fondling one exactly like it today....very nice rifle. The amazing thing is that this baby did have a nice action....no sandpaper feel to it!

I have wondered if I'd be better off just going with a 300 Win Mag rather than the 300 WSM. Any comments?

<Don Martin29>
posted
What are we giving up? To get a smaller case then the pressure should be higher? (Boyles Law).

Is this cartridge just as safe as a lower pressure cartridge? I am not even sure of what the SAAMI CUP is for the .300 WSM but I heard verbally that its over 60000!

Can you reload it to factory specs or is it like a Hornady Light Magnum load that I can't get the same powder for?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle Eye, what I mounted for a scope, well I am swimming against the tide, I put a Fixed M-8 4x Leupold on it. More than enough. As what Allen said, holds true, but since I didn't have a .300 Winchester Mag in my rack, I said what the hell. Besides it didn't cost a whold lot to begin with. Another Sight that I just may set up with a set of rings is an 6 x 42 mm M-8 Leupold. Then again I think that for most shooting a fixed 4x is plenty of scope.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DonMartin29....all of the magnum cartridges operate at that level of pressure..usually in the area of 64,000.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
DB Bill,

The IMR site shows the .300 Win Mag loaded to a maximum of 54,000 CUP, The Hornady manual I have says the SAAMI maximum pressure for that cartridge is 54,000 cup.

Who has the SAAMI specs for the .300 WSM?

Can the .300 WSM be loaded to factory ballistics by the average reloader?

<David>
posted
I think the discussion about pressure is comparing apples to oranges. For catridges that have been around for a while, like the 300 Win Mag, the pressure was originally specified in CUP, but the newer ones like the 300 WSM are specified in PSI. The two units of measurement are not the same and there is no direct formula to translate from one to the other. Generally, the CUP number will be lower than the PSI number for the same actual pressure. The two methods used to take the measurements are completely different.

------------------
David Sipe

Politicians and diapers have one thing.in common:
They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason

posted Hide Post
The PSI and CUP systems are different, but a load that is rated at maximum CUP @ 54,000 will usually be rated about 64,000 PSI.
SAAMI specs are available from SAAMI or Winchester. The cartridge can be loaded to factory levels and beyond, just use SOP and work up loads for your rifle.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David and John....thanks for jumping in on the pressure measurement differences.
Don...if you think about it, Winchester and others are loading these new cartridges into the same actions the use for others...if they are using higher pressures for the WSM wouldn't it make sense to do the same for the others also?

Those who don't understand the benefits of case design as proven by the PPC and Remington BR cases will never-ever be convinced of the power of an efficient use of powder.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I think some consideration needs to be given to the locations you plan to hunt.

If you hunt in the States or perhaps Canada, getting ammo in a pinch might not be too difficult.

However, if you're planning an overseas hunt, finding WSM ammo could be a challenge, while 300 H&H or 300 Win Mag ought to be more or less available.

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
No DB Bill,

I would not load the 30-06 to the same pressure level as the .300 Win Mag. Don't forget the 800,000 low number Springfields.

I don't appreciate and believe any benefits in velocity for the PPC or BR cartridges! Accuracy yes, in heavy bbls.

<Hoyt>
posted
I had already decided to get one, but after reading Kudu's article I'm going in the morning and buy one in the Model 70 Featherweight.

<noabitaboutalot>
posted
Bill,

That's an interesting article, but I think that Kudu needs to calibrate his calipers if he measured that three shot group at 0.317" (looks more like a .5 the way I measure groups, center-to-center).

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
DonMartin29....now you're starting to confuse me...first you compare the 300WSM to the .300 WinMag and when we resolve that they operate a similar if not the same pressures you bring up the .30/06 and old Springfields...you and I both know the SAMMI specs for the /06 max out below the Win Mag for this very reson ...old rifles ..... but so what unless you want to chamber a .300 Win Mag on one of the receivers...the /06 brass is certainly good enought (witness the higher specs for the .270 and .280).....so basically, what's your point? besides the fact that you simply don't like the .300WSM.

Great...you have an opinion!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 300 WSM is a great cartridge for somebody looking for a short action, light, handy rifle.

However, if you aren't stuck on a short action, I don't really see why you'd choose it over the 300 Win Mag.

Don't believe the efficiency hype. Any cartridge with a better expansion ratio (less "overbore") will be a bit more efficient...but not enough to make up for 10 grains less powder. Factory loads for the WSM that are so hot many have noticed pressure signs from them barely equal the most anemic factory loads for the Win. Load both to the same pressure, the Win will easily beat the WSM with any bullet. If I recall correctly, the SAAMI max for both is 65,000 psi.

Then again, how much power do you want? The 300 RUM will fit in many "standard length" actions. It has about the same advantage over the WSM as the 300 Weatherby has over the 30-06--a pretty significant one.

[This message has been edited by Jon A (edited 01-10-2002).]

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This cartridge and the 300 SAUM have piqued my curiousity (not interest). Does anyone have case dimensions for both, or point me in the direction of a site listing said measurements? Pix would be nice!

I went to both webpages and they don't have the numbers, just ad stuff.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JonA....I've got a Lazzeroni Patriot which has a usable capacity about 10gr less than the .300 WinMag and I've yet to see a .300 WinMag produce the kind of velocity I get..2 caveats...the brass has to last more than 2 or 3 firings and you need to use a chronograph not some estimate out of a loading manual.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd let you see mine first hand but it's at the gunsmith being rechambered to RUM right now .

Take a look at his reloading data:

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_reload_patriot.htm

Do you see the pressures listed there? Up to 67,500 psi!

That's well above SAAMI max pressure for any cartridge and higher than you'd see in any reloading manual for any cartridge. His brass handles it because it is made especially for him--really tough. Try getting those velocities with cheap Remington brass.... That isn't efficiency, that's using a bigger hammer.

I don't know the exact case capacity of the Patriot, but if it's 10 grains less than the 300 Win then it's pretty close to the WSM. Here's what that case is capable of when loaded to "reloading manual pressures:"

http://www.hodgon.com/data/rifle/300winshortmag.htm#top

That said, I have beaten most of those velocities he lists with the bullet weights listed. And yes, that's measured with a chronograph. I usually get 3 to 5 loadings with cheap brass depending upon the load.

In fact, his velocities aren't much better than those from reloading manuals for the 300 Win...at "reloading manual pressures"--MUCH less than 67,500 psi!--many times with a 24" barrel.

His loaded ammo velocities:

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_sacart.htm

are partially made possible because he uses specially "undersized and lubed" bullets. And yet they are still less than those listed in the Barnes manual for XLC's in the Win...even with a 24" barrel. Even at normal pressures.

As for my own loads, with a 26" barrel besting 3200 is easy for 180's and 3000 is easy for 200's. Max velocity for uncoated X-bullets is usually at least 50 fps less but since those are what I've been using for the last 10 years or so, those are the loads I'll list:

180 XBT, 80 H1000 for 3195 fps.

200 XFB, 87 H870 for 3004 fps.

Since the X bullets are so high-friction, those are very hot loads and cases only last about 3 loadings.

With a "normal" bullet I can easily beat those velocities with much better brass life. But since those are what I hunt with I thought that's what I should post. Who knows what I would have gotten undersized, moly-coated bullets....

****DISCLAIMER*****
The above loades are max in my rifle....use them without reducing by 10% and you will blow your head off!

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon A....if your cases only last a few loadings you ARE EXCEEDING the pressures listed in ANY loading manual that I am aware of.

<Mike M>
posted
I see alot of - Why the WSM when we've already got the Win. Mag. replies.

I'll give you one reason - It doesn't have that damn silly belt on it. I know - I know. If you reload you can headspace the Win. Mag. on the shoulder. That is not the point. It's that belted bottleneck cartridges just offend me for some reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike...you're right. Why the .280 when we had the .270 etc etc why the .284 or whatever. Everyone's idea of the ideal cartridge certainly leaves room for developement and choice. I really don't understand why someone would want to blast a cartridge and seemingly impose his opinions on someone else....the "correctness" police are all over and I wish they would find a life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right DB Bill, those are hotter loads than you'd find in a reloading manual. You'll find those velocities in some--but not with those bullets. For some reason my rifle seems to shoot the best groups with really hot loads. The most accurate load I ever found was some cheap 180 round noses loaded to way past 3200. The same bullet, powder, everything except a charge that sent them out at 3100 wasn't nearly as accurate. Go figure....

Anyway, the point was I doubt any case that's more than 10% smaller has a chance of getting close to those velocities with those bullets with any load that's even remotely safe--no matter what its shape.

Sorry if you're referring to me as the "correctness police," I don't mean to sound anal. But after reading the WSM "matches" or sometimes even "exceeds" the performance of the bigger cases in every single gun magazine that's been on the shelves the last couple years...it makes me want to scream! Then you hear about people getting ejector marks with factory ammo....

I don't have anything against the WSM, like I said earlier I think it's a nice round. It just gets on my nerves the way Winchester and the gun writers (with a few exceptions) have tried to make it out to be something that it's not.

It's a good enough round to stand on its own merits. But instead of leaving it at that, they've decided they'll sell more guns by hyping it as being something that it isn't with misleading and just plain false information. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Mike M, about the belt--I forgot to mention that. Some peoples' preference of not having it is enough reason to choose the WSM over the Win...whatever makes them happy. Personally, belted cases never bothered me at all, but for some reason I am looking forward to working with the new beltless case. Something different, I guess. There is supposed to be an accuracy advantage to headspacing off the shoulder. How much, if any, will show up in a lightweight hunting rifle I don't know. There's only one way to find out . Also short actions will be stiffer (all else being equal) so there's another accuracy advantage (at least theoretically). Of course, all else being equal it should kick less as well. So I guess there are a couple reasons somebody might choose one over the Win.

"Equaling the velocity" just isn't one of them. Like I said, it's good enough on its own merits without having to make up more.

[This message has been edited by Jon A (edited 01-11-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall the problem wasn't hot ammo it was bolt faces etc that were so far out of true that was causing the problems.

<Ken in VA>
posted
Jon A,
Very well put.
Who cares if it equals the 300 winnie? It will outdo the '06 and that's what a lot of people are looking for.
Personally, I think the case design (short and fat) will lead to this being the most accurate 300 mag on the market. Like you said, the short stiffer action won't hurt either.

It seems to me that the only people trying to compare the WSM to the 300 winnie are those that already have the latter. Most of the people I've seen who have bought them admit that the WSM only approaches or barely meets the Win Mag's velocities.

It amazes me that the cartridge cops, those same people who said we didn't need the .260, can find so much to complain about.
If you don't like the idea, don't buy one.
Ken

<sure-shot>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I really don't understand why someone would want to blast a cartridge and seemingly impose his opinions on someone else....the "correctness" police are all over and I wish they would find a life.

DB,
Well said and not to mention all the "Ackley Bashers" on this forum! sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure-shot....the Ackley Improved sure do look nice and I think old P.O. was a real pioneer. I think his design seems to have the most impact on the smaller cases...say from .223AI, the .22/250AI, the .243AI and 6mmAI, the .257 AI Roberts and the .25/06AI, the 7mm08AI, the 7x57AI and the .280AI plus of course the .375 H&H Ackley Improved.

The few fellows that I knew that had .30/06AIs tended to really push the envelope to get the very limited velcoity increases they achieved...same for the Gibbs design as far as that goes.

<allen day>
posted
I'm one of those guys you're referring to who has no use for wildcat cartridges, nor do I buy into the anti-belt hysteria.

It seems as though this is a pot-calling-the-kettle-black sort of argument. From my perspective, the "thought police" are the guys who would love to shut guys like me up.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen Day......not my point at all. If you don't care for wildcat cartridges or whatever that's your choice...what irritates me are those that denigrate those who like to try something new and/or different. It would be a sad world for shooters if all we had were the .30/06, the 7x57 and the .375 H&H (and 4x Weaver scopes). We could get by and maybe we would be better shooters but what fun would it be and don't you think "Lazzeroni" kind of trips off your tongue much better than Remchester?

<1LoneWolf>
posted
I bought the Winchester model 70 in that caliber. The rifle had a extractor problem, believe it or not. But was taken care of very quickly.

The cartridge, as far as I am concerned is a heck of a new cartridge for most any size NA game.
After a little trigger work, and pressure bedding on the rifle, it has turned in nothing but very very good groups with everything I have tried in it. It shoots the 150, 165, and the 180 grain bullet weights all very well.

I guess it doesn't accomplish, ballistically speaking, anything that some cartridges that came before it had already done. But, it sure does seem to me, that the short fatties, in the mold of the PPCs, sure do work for accuracy on a very consistent basis.

Factory ammo is left wanting at this point, but everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.
I don't think this shortie, is a here today, gone tomorrow cartridge.

<leo>
posted
I think as hunters we "would" be just as well off with just the '06, 7x57, .375, .270, .300 savage, .257 roberts, .300 H&H, etc., etc. but new things are exciting and the gun/ammo makers apparently need the new sales. Gosh, what would we do without the.308 and .338 winnie?