Notify
Tools

One gun for North America
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
I really appreciate all the great advice that has been offred on this topic.

My brother and I have decided to go with the 7mm RUM. I just picked up a Sako 75 SS w/ Syn stock that I loike the looks of, I have not shoot it yet. I think my brother has decided to get a Rem 700 XCR also in 7mm RUM.

I strongly considered the 300 RUM but the recoil is more than I want in a gun I will shoot often.

I'm intrested in the Lazaroni 120gr lazerhead for hoofed game, and the new barnes 175gr TSX for Big Bears and african carnivors.

The new TSX has the folling specs. SD -.310, BC - .530. At 3200fps this load will produce almost 4,000fpe. Like I have said I have no experince with Bears or any other dangerous game, but it seams like this kind of preformace should be enough. These numbrs equal or exceede the 338 win. in every catagory.

What is your view in light of these numbers?
Dr B

Buy lots of 7mm RUM brass....Since You picked this caliber I would load the Nosler 175 Grain Noslers, or the Barnes 175 TSX's. I don't know what the twist is on your barrel but on your brothers Remington it is 1 in 9.5". I don't think the barrel will stabalize the 120 Grainers leading to large groups. If you shoot the 175 Grainers for everything you will not have a problem. If you go to Africa shoot the heavy bullets, most of the game over there is harder to bring down than you think. Don't try to shoot a light bullet at high speeds it will fragment and you will lose game. Use a heavy bullet that is going a little slower, you can punch both shoulders on the "hoofed game" and the bullet will keep on going.

Good Luck with your gun.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote .338 mag loads are from 160 to 300 gr bullets, carry what you need for smaller game and have heavier bullets for the larger game with you , see a Griz ! load for it ! see a deer load for it !160 gr will work fine on goats ,deer , whatever ? 300 grain bullets will kill King Kong ! I have a Ruger and it's not to heavy for an old man like me , recoil ! no problem !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 has done it all several times and most likely will again. I could live with a good 30-06, 35 Whelen or 45-70. Draw one from the hat.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Hi
My brother and I want one gun for North America. Texas to Alaska. We have narrowed it down to 7mm RUM vs 7mm STW. Please share your thoughts.
Dr B
How boreing. Try one of each then you can tell us what you think is best. Good shoot'n

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows a 7mm bullet can't kill anything.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr.B

Do you own either the 7mm RUM or the 7mm STW? When you say you "narrowed it down" to those calibers, how did you do this process? On paper by consulting ballistics tables? I'm not trying to be mean with you. I'm trying to get you to see that "one gun" for all North America is a very ambitious project!

I happen to think that if I had to stake my life on one rifle in any kind of wilderness country - it would be the 30-06 and the load would be a 180 gr. bullet. But that's me. It's based on my life experience with a cartridge. Will it kill the largest animals thaT Walk in North America? You betcha! If you do only one thing - please get away from the influence of ammo company advertising about "Magnum" (or any other "super-duper loads). It has always been the name of the game - to place the bullet properly. You are unlikely to place a bullet right if the recoil shakes your brain up in your skull! Take my word for it - and I never was much affected by recoil (muzzle blast bothered me more)

You could try to work your way up the scale of calibers. Try the 270 -work up to the 30-06. Try the 35 Whelan. Watch your scores -on paper. Remember that a 22 in the eye will do more damage than a 338 Win. that missed.

You should enjoy yourself finding out what you want. Don't adopt someone else's rifle. Find your own! Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many considerations when choosing a single rifle for all North American game. Maybe if I had to I might be inclined to go with a 22" barrel on a Marlin 1895 .45/70 and keep my shots to under 200 yrads. But this ain't too practical when hunting out west.

My first rifle was a 7MM Rem Mag, mostly because all the guys I hunted with used rifles in that caliber. As a yung'un, I looked up to those guys. But as I got older & wiser, I opted for a 700 BDL in .270 Win, and deer & antelope fell like lightning to it. But then I got to wantin' to hunt elk. While the .270 Win will work, I wanted something more. So I commenced to researchin' the project.

What I learned was sectional density is as important if not more so than bullet weight. I was going to go with a .300 Win Mag, until I learned there was more to this game than meets the eye. For instance, in terms of sectional denisty, a 160 grain .284 projectile is superior to a 180 gain .308 projectile. A 175 grain projectile is superior to a 200 grain .308 projectile. Therefore, I had to reassess my choice of cartridges.

I know there are more 7MM cartridges available to hunters than pick-ups. So I had to decide which way to go. I do know that I wanted a 24" barrel, and most of the super 7MM magnums require very long barrels. Moreover, I did not want to buy a rifle chambered for a round that will become obsolete. Therefore, I chose a Sako in 7MM Rem Mag. This rifle has been more than I could have dreamed.

With handloads that are under maximum, I get better than 3100 FPS with 160 grain Partitions, and that is out of a 24" barrel. The fair comparison is a 180 grain .308 projectile. And to achieve that velocity out of a 24" .300 Win Mag, you'd have to endure unbearable recoil. Moreover, while I have yet to do so, I know I can get better than 3000 FPS with 175 grain projectiles. A fair comparison in the .300 Win Mag would be 200 grain projectiles, and to achieve the identical velocity would result is horrendous recoil. Moreover, my Sako will shoot 150 grain Ballistic Tips to well over 3200 FPS, and a nickel will cover three-shot groups!

When my bonus points come due and I draw a Wyoming moose hunt, I will take my...Featherweight .308 Win with handloaded 200 grain bullets because I can't stand lugging that 10 pound Sako up-and-down the Rocky Mountains. In fact, it was after my first Wyoming trip that I knew there is more to a perfect hunting rifle than ballistics! Wink Sadly, after much expense, I have realized that a good-quality .308 Win is all for which a hunter can pray. But I have been thinkin' 'bout taking my 700 .270 in for a Lilja barrel, a lightweight stock, put a 3x9 Vari-XII on it, load up some 130 grain Partitions and never look back.

Now, is there really such a thng as a perfect rifle? Confused

Happy New Year,

Tom

P.S. This is a cool Website!!!

Posts: 43 | Location: Greater Los Angeles | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Tom, you sure get around. 2 days registered and 15 posts? Good for you.

Anyhow, getting back to the two selections at hand, the velocity factor is not really that important. Do you want to headspace off of the shoulder, or belt? The cost of rem brass for both is probably about the same, and yes, in a pinch you could make STW brass out of H&H basics or 375's. He never did mention if he was handloading or not. Oh wait, this thread is over a month old, and I am sure they have purchased a weapon already. Smiler

BTW if I could only have one rifle, it would be a 375 RUM(cause right now its the only gun I own anyways!!).

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gixxer,

I got a couple weeks off, & boredom is setting in. I'd be out doing stuff, 'cept I injured my back. boohoo

As I have matured, I have come to realize just how many cartridges would be suitable for a single rifle owner. While I used to be indifferent about the '06, it would be perfect for such a role as would be the .280 Rem & .308 Win. Hell, it used to be so that the .303 British was big enough for all North American game. I think the critters got tougher 'cause it isn't even considered anymore!

Now the .375 RUM, that has gotta be African stuff par excellence. Does your dentist know you're shooting a tooth extractor? Big Grin

Happy New Year,

Tom

Posts: 43 | Location: Greater Los Angeles | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One Gun the 375HH
I have rifles from 375 to 22.250 and if I had to pick one gun it would the .375 HH
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom1911:
gixxer,

I got a couple weeks off, & boredom is setting in. I'd be out doing stuff, 'cept I injured my back. boohoo

As I have matured, I have come to realize just how many cartridges would be suitable for a single rifle owner. While I used to be indifferent about the '06, it would be perfect for such a role as would be the .280 Rem & .308 Win. Hell, it used to be so that the .303 British was big enough for all North American game. I think the critters got tougher 'cause it isn't even considered anymore!

Now the .375 RUM, that has gotta be African stuff par excellence. Does your dentist know you're shooting a tooth extractor? Big Grin

Happy New Year,

Tom

Yup, that gun puts me right in line quick if I slack on the form off of the bench. It is a pussycat to shoot standing though.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338 Win Mag would be my choice

Posts: 98 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 11 September 2003Reply With Quote