Notify
Tools

One gun for North America
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Hi
My brother and I want one gun for North America. Texas to Alaska. We have narrowed it down to 7mm RUM vs 7mm STW. Please share your thoughts.
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that you have narrowed it down, but for a true one gun for all of NA I would move into the .300 magnum class(Win. or Wby. are my preference). You will be much better equipped with a .300 and its payload at the top end of the game spectrum. Compared to your two 7mm's a .300's recoil will be similar and trajectory will be so close that any coversation regarding such matters will be just that... conversational.

However, if you are dead set on your afforementioned choices I would go with the STW. More than one ammunition company supports it and there have been more brands of rifles so chambered for it. With the ultra mag only time will tell if even Remington will continue to support it. The same reasons apply to handloading. And you can form brass from any full length H&H based brass. But, if you want a 7mm there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 7mm Remington mag. It also does not suffer from any availability problems, present or future.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
Hi
My brother and I want one gun for North America. Texas to Alaska. We have narrowed it down to 7mm RUM vs 7mm STW. Please share your thoughts.
Dr B

If you include Alaska, then the rifle should be one of the most popular up here: "The Alaskan," introduced in 1958. Make that a .338WM.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would definitely go .300 magnum or above. The .338 is a great choice as well, as it is almost as flat shooting as the 7's with super light bullets (160 gr X-bullets, 185 gr. TSX boat-tails, 180 gr ballistic tips, etc.), but you have a plethora of choices of 225 gr and 250 gr premium bullets for elk, moose, bear, etc., and even 275 gr Swift A-Frames. Now that is flexibility! Of course, the .340 Wby. (my personal favorite) is even better, but at that point recoil begins to be a factor.

Posts: 177 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
7 RUM and 7 STW, pretty esoteric stuff... think ammo's available in Kotzebue?

Nothing wrong with a "big 7" but, if going 7mm, I'd go 7mm RM. Available everywhere and no flies on its performance.

A better "one rifle round" is the 30-06 or 300 WM. Me, I like the 30-06... if it can't be done with the 30-06 you'll certainly need a hell of a lot more than the 7 RUM, STW, or RM. If that's too blue collar for rarified tastes get the 300 WM... great cartridge and a true "all rounder."

Rule number 1, 2 and 3: A ONE RIFLE ROUND SHOULD BE WIDELY AVAILABLE.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.30-06, .300 (any of the big 3 .30 mags) or .338 WM, take your pick. It really depends on what most of your hunting will be for (med game or large game). For me it would be the .300 Win Mag with the .338 WM nippin at it's hinnie.

Two or more selections in your safe might be better though.

-Ron

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own 2-7mmstws,one 7mmultramag and 2-300ultramags.I prefer the 7mmstw over the 7mmultramag.The extra 50fps to 75fps just don't seem worth the extra powder and the even shorter barrel life.I don't believe that the ultramag case is worthwhile with a bullet smaller than .308".

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A 7MM is too light for ALL of NA. You just cant load heavy enough bullets for it and no matter what speed you have it just doesnt cut it.

A good 30 cal mag is about the best choice for most people. Most people wont hunt moose or grizzly. You'll be able to take elk and below with great results. But for the big bears and moose the 338 is a better choice.

The problem with NA is there are so many species and situations one gun is not even close to being perfect. While a 338 is a good choice for bears, its not a great choice for chasing sheeps over mountains. For that you'd want a light weight 260-30 caliber. Try shooting a 6lb 338!!!!

Ideally you'd have three rifles for NA. One for varmints. A 22 or so cal is good (223,22-250 ect), a 260-30 ( 270WSM, 30-06?) and one above 30 cal to handle the bigger critters. 338 is about the best for your big rifle. Any of those similar arounds will do just fine. 325WSM, 338WM, 338RM, 340Weath, Et Cetera.

But, and I say BUT if I had to choose one it would be a 338WM. Its by far to be over gunned than undergunned.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
30-06.

Any questions? sofa

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7mmstw or even the 7mmremmag is plenty of cartridge for any game in north america with the possible exception of the coastal grizzly.I have killed several elk and moose with the 7mmstw and it does a great job on these species.I find that moose although larger than elk are actually easier to kill than elk.When hit properly elk often run but moose almost always stand until they fall or walk a short distance before laying down to die.If you can't cleanly and quickly kill moose with a 7mmstw,you need more than a larger bullet.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 30-06. And if the bear runs towards you the heavy 220gr. is desirable.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I love the 30-06 and .300 Win (never cared for any of the 7mm rounds), I have to say that there is no way I would rely on them when facing coastal bears or some of the free roaming bison herds in canada/US. The reality is that you might have to follow up either of these animals when wounded and this means that you should go no smaller than 9,3x62....Hell, this actually makes an interesting argument for a scoped 9,3x74R double for that matter.

For the sake of practicality and cost, I would probably go with a .375 or .416.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on whether your brother ever has plans for the large bears. The 7mm and 308 calibers are certainly large enough for everything else.

If it was me, I would buy one comfortable shooting gun for the majority of the game (7mm-308 class), and a 375 H&H for big bears. If you have enough pocket change to chase the big bears, a specialized "bear" gun is not that much more. Plus, it is always a good conversation piece! Smiler

My personal favorite (right now), is a 270 WSM NULA for the "everything else" game class.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The STW is a lot more efficient round. You'll get nearly the same velocity with less recoil and powder use.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ONE GUN Eeker ONE GUN eek2 what a terrible thought try adding zeros

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick one gun for hunting NA, I'd be happy with my .338 Win. It's a little overkill for antelope and coyotes, but I like it for the bigger stuff. Though I've never hunted things that want to eat you, I think the .338 is about the minimum for them.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 300 Win Mag or 330 Win Mag. Leaning toward the 338 Win Mag if coastal bears were on the menu.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree with that last recommendation as well as some of the others. I would far rather make my all-around N. American rifle a 30-06, 300 Win. Mag., or 338 Win. Mag. than any 7mm.

AD

<9.3x62>
posted
338-06.

180 Accubond at 2900 fps for everything sans teeth that is less than 500 lbs. A 210 partition or X-bullet at 2700 for medium sized stuff (with stuff with smallish teeth and claws). And a 225 partition at 2550 for everything larger, closer, and nastier.

Now it Nosler would make a 215 gr Accubond in 9.3, then the 9.3x62 would be the obvious all around choice...

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I feel like causing trouble. I'd say the 325 WSM.
Eeker

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Since you have already decided on one of those 7s, I would go w/ the 7STW. Brass can always be made from .375h&h. I don't expect the 7RUM to be around much longer, it just doesn't give you much over the 7STW.
Having said all that, my choice would be a .338WM or a Frowner.300WM. Even against big bears, they will do, be a better choice than any of the 7mm & I love the 7mms.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.30-06

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidReed:
I know that you have narrowed it down, but for a true one gun for all of NA I would move into the .300 magnum class(Win. or Wby. are my preference). You will be much better equipped with a .300 and its payload at the top end of the game spectrum. Compared to your two 7mm's a .300's recoil will be similar and trajectory will be so close that any coversation regarding such matters will be just that... conversational.

I'd have to agree. Just hard to beat the .300's for the wide range of versatility. Again, I'd stick with the .300 Winchester or .300 Weatherby. Those two cartridges are readily available, should you not be a handloader.

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Might as well chime in also. Been a 7mm fan since waay back. My favorite is the standard 7mmRMag with the 7STW being second (still have one of each in the gunsafe).
HOWEVER...I have to agree that if you have the bigger species in mind that can hunt You, go with either the .300WMag or the .338WMag.
Me? I've got a .338WSM (wildcat) and a .375 H&H if the need arises. Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to repair my car but I only have a 9/16" wrench. I refuse to buy smaller or larger wrenches.

Same thing......silly too.

Match the caliber to the game,theres lots of overlap. ONE gun for everything is IMHO way too limiting.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi
Dr B

If you have already narrowed it down to these 2, then all discussions of other calibers is mute. I honestly fall with the crowd overall and would opt for a 30 cal if I did it all with ONE rifle.

However, given the 2 you have chosen, I'd go with the STW, make it a 27" bbl.

How did you both narrow it down to both of these?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 or 300 win.

Posts: 91 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
If you can afford to hunt everything in NA, you can afford to have two matching rifles. S/S Model 70's, McMillan stocks, Leupold scopes in....

.270 Win -Animals to 400 lbs; and
.338 Win. Mag-For everything else.

(Barrels shortened to 22 and 24 inches respectively) Which, by the way, I do not own. It is MUCH more fun to match the rifle/caliber to the game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338 win mag is awesome for everything in North america.I have used it on deer out to 425 yards just fine.It is the smallest gun I would use in Alaska due to bears.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi
Dr B

.300 win mag is my pick. I went through the same mental gymnastics you are going through and I like the Model 70 in .300 win mag.

I do not care for the short magnums, just don't like the look or the way the gun works.

Good luck

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the .30 caliber magnums, take your pick.

At the upper end of the scale, the .338 win mag would have distinct advantages, but I think the big 30s would give you reasonable performance on larger species without being way too large and powerful for the smaller ones. In my mind, it's a question of balance.

RXM

Posts: 58 | Location: Billings, Montana | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.30-06 according to JY Jones...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked the .338 Win. Mag. with 250 premium bullets for this in January, 1968, after using a fine Browning Safari .30-06 plus a Brno 21h 7x57 plus a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 65.x55 (not a typo) plus various .303s and .30-.30s for a few years. I was 21 and found this rifle to be ideal in B.C. conditions, at 59, I have yet to change my mind and, although I have lots of rifles in various calibers, the .338 is my favourite and best choice.

A couple of up-close, solo, encounters with a Grizzly in thick bush when you are far away from any help will quickly convince you about why a .33 is better than a .30 or .28-.27. I have 'em all, love 'em all and would pick a .30-06 with 180 premiums for the recoil sensitive over ANY .300 mag. To me, if you can shoot a .300, you can shoot a .338, YMMV.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 300 Win Mag. 30-06 wouldn't be a bad choice either. thumb

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr B- I am curious were you asking us to give you our thoughts about what rounds WE would choose? Or were you asking us about the 7's you mentioned? I am thinking you meant about the 2 7's.

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
One gun.....the horror! I also prefer to match cartridges/firearms to the game & terrain, a matter of "balance" if you will.

If I had to live with only one, heaven forbid., as Old Sarge puts it in his signature line...One Planet, One Gun - 375 H&H

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dr B- I am curious were you asking us to give you our thoughts about what rounds WE would choose? Or were you asking us about the 7's you mentioned? I am thinking you meant about the 2 7's.

The original post stated that the choice was already narrowed down to the two cartridges mentioned. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
That wouldn't be any fun! But OK....lets fall in line and spice it up a bit......

So, the choice is 7mm something or other...is this for a woman or a child? troll

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of thought so Stubble, I wonder why the heck it is when someone says what do you think of this or that that people gotta start up trying to educate the person in the errors of their ways?

Well like I've always said shooters (and I am one of them by the way so lighten up gang) are the most arrogant and ignorant group going.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well like I've always said shooters (and I am one of them by the way so lighten up gang) are the most arrogant and ignorant group going.

I prefer to call them(myself included)opinionated and determined. Big Grin