Find
Notify
Tools

AZ Outfitter Missing in NM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Given the level of attention this got here, I would hope the facts get reported on what actually happened. its been several days since he surfaced, so facts should be known by now with as many resources that appeared to be looking for him.

Get the facts out please.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyNameIsEarl:
I am just south of Coconino County and there was not a whisper in our local news or state news but I am not sure about local media in that county.

Imagine that......

popcorn

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems strange that if you google "Larry Heathington" there isn't one single news report of the man being lost or found.

You get hits in the hunting forums but that's it. If someone went missing around here it would be all over the news.

Strange.....

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
If someone went missing around here it would be all over the news.
Strange.....

I live 35 miles from the Eugene/Springfield metro area. When, not if, people go missing anywhere in the state for more than 1 day, it is all over the news, especially since Brooke Wilberger disappeared several years ago from up by OSU.
When someone goes missing in a fairly remote area (like up by where I live), more than likely LE is LOOKING for them and the more "eyes" out there, the better. It usually only takes a few hours for the word to get out around here, not days.

Strange indeed...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I did some searching too and even checked with a relative in the area. The search was fruitless (other than for typical hunting ops, etc.), and the kinfolks haven't heard a single word. In fact, they said my mention of it was the very first they've heard anything about it.

Generally, when someone goes missing, every area news outlet -- even the smallest of them -- carries it and tries to keep the public abreast of the latest findings.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
somebody call larry and ask?

Larry Heathington
SHEEP LTD.
PO Box 426
Williams, Arizona 86046
928-635-2954 (Larry's Office Phone)
928-853-0770 (Larry's Cell Phone)
Email: sheepltd@flagstaff.net

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this didn't happen in this situation, but last year while we were hunting in Montana 3 hunters from the South went missing. They were flying a private plane up to Montana. Our outfitter expected them to fly into the local airport on Sunday. When they didn't arrive he called their homes and one of the wives said they had left. Our outfitter had deposits from each of them so there was no reason to think they weren't coming. After they didn't arrive the next day, the local law enforcement and FAA got involved. The third day they were found in Las Vegas. I guess what happens in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas that time. The outfitter told us when he spoke to one of the wives she was less than happy.

When I googled a search for these hunters names or outfitters, nothing came up either.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Generally, when someone goes missing, every area news outlet -- even the smallest of them -- carries it and tries to keep the public abreast of the latest findings.
Yep.
Especially when it happens in a fairly remote area.

There have been many people missing up here (Willamette Nat'l Forest) for one day and there are fliers printed with person and vehicle descriptions at the local restaurants and markets.

Something ain't right here...

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this wasnt just a stunt to get his outfitter/name info out on the net

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
As fun as guessing how many miles into the res. he was when he was dumped, why don't we all take a deep breath and wait for the facts. I don't think any of us should speculate but to be fair how is a theory that he went on a 3-4 day drunk any more or less unlikely then being drove 100 miles into a reservation and clubbed and dumped? I hope it was a robbery and that Gato is way off base,(nothing against Gato, just hope the man's story is legit) but I'll wait for a few more facts before I ride blindly to the defense of a guy I've never even heard of before Thursday.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for all those "facts" to come out.........you'd think with all the supporters he's got around they'd be in a rush to provide the true and undoubtedly gory details of his robbery and near miraculous return from the lost.

Little details like....any suspects named or arrested?

Injuries and severity?

What took him approximately 7 days to reappear and where was he in the interim?

Where is his truck and jeep and who was driving it in Holbrook 3 to 4 days after he missed picking up the 2 hunters waiting for him in Socorro?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Gato, that's why as much as I would like there to be a plausible explanation, I can't just ignore that it looks fishy. While I still hope this is legit, I must say the silence is deafening.....

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I am with all of you... I would love to hear the story

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Just pure wild supposition like the previous posts here, but I bet that the person doing the reporting/looking was doing what he felt best to help locate a missing friend only to realize later that maybe the friend didn't want to be found right then!

Or the guy was rolled for his money and whatever he had and prefers the details and issue just go away.

Except for the hunters whom I believe got the shaft in this, "All is well that ends well".

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
coffee

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
This is strange in the extreme, it is also sad, in that folks that really seem to care about this guy were worried about his safety, and now that he has surfaced, NO BODY knows any more that they did he was reported missing????????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was a robbery or assult it would have made the local news.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Larry's story does not appear in his HOMETOWN newspaper, and I don't see any mention of it in the media in Holbrook, either.

I did query the Williams News a few minutes ago as to any information that they may have run or articles perhaps not showing in their archives. I'll post their reply when I get it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm reasonably sure that the "missing" person wasn't missing, he just wasn't where other people expected him to be. IMO he has a problem with booze, drugs, or women or some combination of the above, most likely the first. If any of the original "hit and robbed" or whatever story was true, his friends would have posted it well before now.

In view of the fact that he appears to have a young son, who probably has enough on his plate as is, I'm dropping this topic. I wouldn't have and shouldn't have gone as far with it as I have if a couple of people hadn't of said how wrong I was originally, that I didn't know him implying that they did, etc. My bad. I wish him well and hope he gets help.

As far as his friends and others posting about his disappearance, they were doing what friends should do and I hope we all have such friends when we need them.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'm reasonably sure that the "missing" person wasn't missing, he just wasn't where other people expected him to be. IMO he has a problem with booze, drugs, or women or some combination of the above, most likely the first. If any of the original "hit and robbed" or whatever story was true, his friends would have posted it well before now.

In view of the fact that he appears to have a young son, who probably has enough on his plate as is, I'm dropping this topic. I wouldn't have and shouldn't have gone as far with it as I have if a couple of people hadn't of said how wrong I was originally, that I didn't know him implying that they did, etc. My bad. I wish him well and hope he gets help.

As far as his friends and others posting about his disappearance, they were doing what friends should do and I hope we all have such friends when we need them.

Well said.

ddj

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trouthunterdj:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Well said.

ddj
+2 thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+3

Gato,

Excellent analysis!!

Don

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Of course, he could also suffer from depression (which is a very broad mental health disorder and is often controllable but can have relapses)or a number of other anxiety disorders and had an acute incident.

He may have felt very embarassed about it and made up the roberry story.

So some of you are probably saying..."oh come on Mike, quit defending the guy"

Well I am not defending him, what I am curious about is whether or not any of us is right or wrong in our guesses...what value is there in suggesting that this guy has a substance abuse problem or is having an affair.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this the end of the story? Nothing?

Outdoor Writer, You started this thread in good faith to help a friend. Do you know the full story? It has been almost a month since this "incident" occured. The accurate details must be known by now.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
The most recent info I've seen, posted yesterday Oct. 6 on MM, is below. For those with a burning need to know the "details," the important numbers to call are:

Sgt. Jason Lurkins Coconino S.O 928-310-8889
Det. Larry Thomas Coconino S.O 928-226-5032

Larry Heathington
928-635-2954 Office
928-853-0770 Cell

While I can't speak for Larry, here is all I know at this point.

Larry says he was robbed and beaten up while in New Mexico. He suffered some serious injuries and he is still not fully recovered from the ordeal.

Matter of fact as of last night, he was still under the weather, trying to recover from the flu bug. He didn't sound good.

That's the best I can do.

He's home, hopefully will fully recover from the ordeal, and he is my friend.

I'm thankful for all of that.

If I learned one thing through this, it is amazing at the number of folks who heard about this incident as a result of internet postings, and were so helpful in trying to locate Larry.

I really don't think that any of us expected we'd see him alive again, given how long he was gone.

I'm just glad he's home.

Don Martin

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is a strange and sad story, no matter what happened.

The only person that knows the real story is the one involved.

If or when they are ready to explain themselves and what happened they will.

The fact that people who care about this person tyried to do everything possible out of concern for this persons welfare should be enough for everyone else.

None of us, don't have things that have happened to us in our pasts and in our private lives that we would want broadcast to the world thru the InterNet.

This is merely a case of a worried and concerned friend asking for help for a friend.

Assomeone else said, we should all be so lucky to have concerned friends.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OW and others,

This indeed is a strange story and your reply does not answer what must have been, by now, a fully discovered story. I am not planning on calling the LEO"s that are involved in this case. You, Out Door Writer, set this thread in motion and now want to put it to rest as it appears that it is now something different than a missing persons case. Why should we have to call the LEO's for the "the rest of the story".

A public forum request for help should deserve a public forum explanation of results.

JMHO,

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

I would like to know the "Rest of the Story"...

Good, Bad, or Ugly.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Just curious, the clients who he never picked up at the airport got a refund right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...I guess we are not going to get to the bottom line on this story. Perhaps some here know the facts and the actual happenings in this strange saga but are not coming forth.

I would think anyone booking a hunt with this guy would want to know the "facts" and should be very cautious.

I hope any AR members who are thinking about this outfitter do a search of him on AR and other sites and then draw their own conclusions.

I have come to mine and that is to take a pass on him if I ever plan to hunt in his area. Lots of outfitters that don't have this cloud over them. He may be a great guy but something is very odd here.

JMO,

RCG

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
The sheep poaching thread reminded me of this story and I was curious so I googled it again. This was on their website for anyone who cares.

quote:
As of February 1, 2010 Larry Heathington will be officially RETIRED from the Guide Business. He's reached a point in this process where he doesn't feel like he needs to do day-to-day hunters anymore, he has had some health issues that necessitate that he slow down. He will be staying closer to home writing a book and magazine articles for the public over the next several years. He is going to leave the website open, at least in the short term, to allow people who haven't seen the photographs to look at the animals that were taken and some of the hunts that were accomplished. All hunts that were committed in 2010 will be completed so that nobody loses any money on any hunts that have already been scheduled.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that should be one VERY interesting book when it comes out...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
......if one likes fiction...... Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
well,looks like larry struck again.coincidence?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ummmmmmm. Maybe we should also read "$70,000 scam involving Blair Worldwide." Poor Larry was involved in that story. Kinda seems like he has found a way to pocket hard earned cash from strangers.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato,

You sure had good intuition on this one. ODW has been awfully quiet with the exception (on another post) of stating the hunters in question won't ever see their money. He certainly didn't seem too torn up by that or upset with his pal.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw, shucks. Thanks, but I am really sorry I was right, too bad some others didn't believe it. Maybe it's because that in my gambling days, I was around a goodly number of people who'd sell their mother or, more likely, their sister for another stake. If you're around those types for very long, you come to understand that the milk of human kindness doesn't flow equally to or through all people, and that's a fact.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Gato,

You sure had good intuition on this one. ODW has been awfully quiet with the exception (on another post) of stating the hunters in question won't ever see their money. He certainly didn't seem too torn up by that or upset with his pal.

Pal?? Do you have a reading comprehension problem or are you just trying hard to be an idiot?

The first line of the OP reads, "I'm posting this for Don." And most of the follow-up posts of mine were also from Don (Martin), who IS Heathington's friend.

I barely know( knew) Heathington.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
Gato,

Pal?? Do you have a reading comprehension problem or are you just trying hard to be an idiot?

The first line of the OP reads, "I'm posting this for Don." And most of the follow-up posts of mine were also from Don (Martin), who IS Heathington's friend.

I barely know( knew) Heathington.

Tony,

I am fully aware you posted this for Don. But you obviously had an interest in Heathington; why all the posts thanking readers for the updates, etc? Or are you just naturally a nice who occassionally calls others idiots?

Interesting that you post all kinds of material about outdoor things in AZ but have been pretty much silent on rendering any opinion on Blair.

I wish I would have waited for you to call me an idiot before I bought your book...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tony,

I am fully aware you posted this for Don. But you obviously had an interest in Heathington; why all the posts thanking readers for the updates, etc? Or are you just naturally a nice who occassionally calls others idiots?

Interesting that you post all kinds of material about outdoor things in AZ but have been pretty much silent on rendering any opinion on Blair.

I wish I would have waited for you to call me an idiot before I bought your book...

Still having a reading comprehension problem?

I don't recall all of these "thank yous" for any updates? The only "thank you" went to someone who posted about the incident on another site, as Don would have appreciated. In fact, in this same thread I expressed doubts about the entire incident concerning my "pal."

As for Blair, I wasn't part of it, thus my opinion here is meaningless. And your attempts to make me a part of it is what makes you an idiot, regardless of your book purchase. If you want to snipe, be sure you have the right target in your sights.

I leave the "rendering" to the internet saviors who seem to have a passion for castigating others. I count you as one of them.