New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nilgai?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone done a Nilgai hunt recently? Would like to hear of your experiences. Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Only here in Texas ---tasty.

Some have "escaped" their ranchers and begun to reproduce .

I got mine outside of Raymondville on a friends ranch.

Some ranches have guided hunts also.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my big bull on the Yturria ranch just north of Raymondville.. Great fun to hunt and I'd like to do it again! Great eating too!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's very encouraging. Was the hunt physically difficult?

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not at all.. flat country that is right at sea level.. and not to mention that there are TONS of nilgai to hunt! If you screw up a stalk, you can generally get on another big bull very shortly thereafter.. that's not to say they aren't wary!! They'll give you a run for your money for sure!! Once you get one down, 99% of the time, you'll be able to get the vehicle in there and get him loaded..

Here is the bull I shot on the Yturria Ranch back in early '01.. I also shot a few cows on the King Ranch back when I went to college in Kingsvillle in the late '90's. All were great fun to hunt, and when I move back to TX, I plan on doing it again..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerat Photo Scottyboy, thank you so much for sharing it with me. My Son and I would very much like to plan a hunt. Flat ground will be better for me and makes this hunt seem possible. Hunted Whitetail on the King ranch in '05' and loved the place. I don't blame you for wanting to move back. Beautiful place and wonderful people.

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
+1 on DB comment - surprisingly tasty!
And the ground meat makes great hamburger, spaghetti meat sauce, meatloaf, etc.
I shot mine this April down at Hondo, TX and though we did hunt on foot, the thick mesquite allowed me to get within 100 yards to pop it with my .405 Win.

Pretty tough on bullets too, if you hit them in the shoulder:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crshelton, Thanks for your pic's. Now beginning to look for a ranch to hunt. Looks like mostly in southern part of Texas. Great expansion on the bullet....performed just right. The rnaches I've seen so far are requiring a minimum of 300 mag. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Largest concentrations are in Willacy and Kennedy Countys, but more ranches across the state are stating to raise them.
Mine was an "escapee" that was free grazing on my friends place.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duggaboye. I can check those counties to see what ranches are outfitting. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Shot my big bull on the Yturria ranch just north of Raymondville.. Great fun to hunt and I'd like to do it again! Great eating too!

I hunted the H Yturria Ranch as wll and it was all first class. We hunted on foot and stalks were very challenging. The ranch does have a .300 minimum but somehow I ended up with a .30-06 there and they let me hunt with it providing the guide could do an immediate follow up shot. The bull dropped dead right in his tracks from my shot and no follow up was needed. Despite rumours of being bullet proof, they are far from it.

Great eating, fun hunt, awesome people.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Yturria Ranch. See my hunt report for details.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The only thing I'll add is give consideration to the cooler part of the year. The heat and humidity in south Texas -- particularly along the coastal region where the highest densities of nilgai are found -- can be absolutely stifling.

Last summer, a local gained access to hunt blackbuck on a ranch in South Texas. He was the only one out there -- no one lived out on this remote ranch-- and spent the better part of the day trying to get within range of a shooter before his body gave out on him. After treatment by the local EMTs (and out there, local may mean 2 hours away), he wound up spending 2 or 3 days in a San Antonio hospital.

Were it not for a cell phone, his outcome may not have been so good.

I am not discouraging a summer hunt, but if you do book during the scorching part of the year, make certain you stay hydrated and take all the necessary precautions.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your info. Bobby T, I'm getting the idea they hunt from Feb to March...is that right?

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There is no closed season on nilgai as they are not a native species and are not regulated by the state. Dates will vary by the ranches. Some try to conduct hunts only during the cooler months, but there is nothing carved in stone.

Also, some ranches try and target the rut, which does fall during the cooler portion of the year.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby.

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You are quite welcome. Please let us know how your hunt goes -- and be sure and post pictures... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

Despite rumours of being bullet proof, they are far from it.

Great eating, fun hunt, awesome people.

A new nilgai hunter should be sure to ask the guide about the animal's anatomy; deer and bear that we are used to huning are a misleading reference. I think a lot of them get shot too high in the soulder, making for a long and often futile chase.

Like Bobby said, a lot ranches hunt them year round. Others shut down when it gets hot, especially if their majority of clients are locals. Most locals fish in the summer, hunt in the cooler months. Stalking in Kennedy County on foot can be tough for Northerners not used to heat plus high humidity. We're talking over 100 degrees and over 90 percent humidity or worse. Not taking a shot here, its just that most out-of-staters aren't on the property long enough to acclimate to the change. I've seen men tough as nails on their home turf wilt like lettuce in the August heat for the first time. So if you go in the summer, don't be afraid to use a vehicle, at least until you get into a reasonable position to stalk.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm old school and always shoot behind the shoulder for the heart/lung area. I feel much safer there....less chance for error. Thanks for the heads-up though. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I think their summer coat is beautiful, thus the nickname "Blue Bull."
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoker1

Their rut is early winter, January-February, and the bulls are as dumb as any other male mammal species with love on their mind. the weather is usually much cooler. The heat and humidity along our coast makes summer hunting hard, we do it but it is not for the faint at heart. The animals don't seem to mind though.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Perry. Then Jan. to Feb. are the better months. My Son and I are really looking forward to doing a hunt. Selecting an outfitter is next. I have looked at some web sites but not done anything yet. Some places are very expensive. They tell me hunting licenses are not required for Nilgai, do you agree? smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a license is required to hunt anything in Tx but they are not an animal you have tag. I could be wrong about the license part though???

one thing about nilgai you will truly grow to respect is their ability to hide. When you see the country they live in you'll think finding them will be easy. i have seen a dozen nilgai pour out of a mesquite motte to small to hide a car in!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's probably where I got confused. License but not a tag, right? I've got to get busy with finding an outfitter. I'm retired but have less time now than when I was working coffee

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoker,
In Texas, a non-resident only has to buy a $35 non-resident exotics liscense. This is good for any and all exotics in Texas. It is a bargain.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's good news' dogcat....thanks. Really looking forward to doing the hunt. At my age there's a lot more road behind than ahead Smiler.

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I shot my cow nilgai on the King Ranch in Texas. The meat was great and the hunt was fun. My 338 Win Mag into the chest sealed the deal!
Happy hunting-Jeff in Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah Texas, wonderful country. Did a cull Whitetail hunt on the King ranch a couple of years ago. gas57, why did you decide on a cow?

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The license information is almost correct. It is License #157 and is $45.00. This is the Non-Resident Five-Day Special Hunting License. It allows you to take exotics, javelina (even though they are a game animal), hogs, predators, and all nongame animals, squirrels, alligator, and all legal game birds (not turkeys).

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe its been three years but it has. Finally in the process of booking my hunt with Mike Powell at allseasonsguideservice out of Victoria Texas. Looking at the first week in February. Decided to use a 300WSM with Barnes TTXS 180 grain bullets. Sure would welcome any suggestions/recommends. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mike is a good guy and you will have a great hunt. You will probably be hunting Frank Yturria's place... lots of nilgai and with a little luck you should be able to take a 9" + bull! Enjoy yourself and even in our winter months, don't forget bug spray! Chiggers and ticks can be tough in the sandy country near Raymondville!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good words on Mike and the heads-up on the bug spray bwanamrm. Nice to have someone I can bounce my questions off of from the area. Really looking forward to this hunt. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of aoudadhunter
posted Hide Post
We had two Nilgai hunts last month and they were a blast. One bull folded to a .375 and the other swallowed 4 from a .300 win mag before he fell. And boy are they elusive really a challenging hunt!

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
Specializing in Free Range Aoudad Sheep hunts.
Also offering all Texas native game and many exotics.

Posts: 131 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, pulse rate is up....thanks aoudadhunter

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several with 7x57 and 308 using 140-180 TSX's with no problems. Heart sits in benethe the shoulder like african game so do not shoot behind the shoulder. If you are a decent shot aim for the white patch under the chin at it will drop in it's tracks. POST PICS!
Good luck.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Perry, although I'm a little confused now. I have been told not to shoot for the shoulder but to shoot behind much like a Whitetail???

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO, NO, NO. You want to tuck the bullet in the lower 1/3 of the shoulder. Higher lung shots kill but the nilgai run a long way not pumping any blood out.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Perry, gonna be a mental challege.....been shootin em behind the shoulder for 50+ years...better get practiing.

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One way to keep the chiggers out is to put a Hartz dog collar around the outside ankle of each boot, prefeably letting your pants hem drop over them.

You'll still need spray for ticks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Treat your cloths with perethrin (sp.) then tuck your pant legs into your boots and shirt tail in. I wear a Buff around my neck that is also treated and have had no problems.