Find
Notify
Tools

Medal scores on muntjac
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
Anyone know the required number of points to reach medal quality muntjac under the CIC system?

On Sunday I shot one at (rough guess) 70-75 points. I'll be boiling it out today sometime.

Thanks

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Does he looks like this one ?

I shot him in Oxfordshire (my first Muntjac, at that )and he was unofficially scored as silver

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

Either you've shot a real monster or your
estimate is out a bit. Below is a scan from
Peter Carne's "Woodland Stalking"...Any errors are mine from the scanning process..

"These miniature Asian immigrants, now so widely established in central and southern England and extending their range into Wales, are a quarry species more and more stalkers are taking seriously, and a (SIC. formula for assessing muntjac trophies is available. Simplicity is its keynote and, as with sika, it includes supplementary data, on maximum spread overall and width between antlers from tip to tip, which do not count for scoring purposes.
Score data begin with inside span, measured horizontally at the widest point between the inner edges of the two antlers. Length is measured in the usual way, from the base of the coronet along the outer edge of the beam to the tip of the antler in each instance. The length of each antler is separately recorded on the score sheet, with any difference between the two being noted down as a debit. In other words, for scoring purposes the length of each antler is assumed to be that of the shorter of the two, if there is a difference, as also applies to other differences in dimension. Next are the brow tines, measured from where they erupt, directly above the coronets, along their undersides to their tips, each being recorded separately. In muntjac brow tines are frequently absent, but as they are normally very short this may not reduce the score substantially. Now measure tightly around each coronet to determine the coronet circumference and treat in exactly the same way, deducting any difference between the two as a debit. Beam circumference should be similarly dealt with, measuring each halfway between base and tip.
Add up the credits, deduct any debits, and the figure you arrive at, expressed in centimetres and millimetres, should be the C.I.C. score for your trophy. Having been shot in Britain the muntjac involved will be of the small Reeves�s species, native to China. Standards originally set for Reeves�s muntjac were 54.00 to 54.99 for a bronze, 53.00 to 55.99 for a silver and 56.00 or more for a gold medal trophy. On the recommendation of C. Kenneth Whitehead, the C.I.C decided at its Buenos Aires conference in March 1997 to revise these figures as follows:
56.00 to 58.49 for a Bronze,
58.50 to 60.99 for a Silver
61.00 or more for a Gold."

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Pete: Reckon my internal tape measure must be a bit out! He is still sat in the boiling pan at home but I'll finish him this weekeend. Stand by for an accurate measurement and a photo.

Andre. Thanks, my buck is shorter but looks thicker than yours.

Regards

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Pete, according to your instructions, I put the tape on my Muntjac trophy and here are my findings (cm) :

inside span: 11,2
L antler R : 11,7
" L : 12,0
tine R : 1,3
" L : 1,2
dia. coronet R : 7,5
" L : 7,8
dia. beam R : 4,5
" L : 4,3

Total 60,6
(= silver according to C.I.C. score <1997).

NB. : I should have bagged that buck 2 years earlier, when he meant "gold"

------------------
Andr�

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I conservatively measured him at 63.5 points.

Here he is next to my best roebuck:

[This message has been edited by Deerdogs (edited 09-01-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Deedogs, nice heads. BTW, why didn't you keep the fangs on the Muntjac ?

------------------
Andr�

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post

andre: Thanks. The fangs on this old chap were broken off - probably due to fighting (his ears were in tatters also). I have got the stumps.

Regards

posted Hide Post
Sorry I did not get back earlier, but I've
been away stalking...

Deerdogs,

Regardless of the score, that is a lovely head. Are you going to get it measured officially?? Where abouts did it come from??

Andre,

You really should get that scored properly as it just might scrape in as a gold...

Two very fine heads you both should be proud of...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:

Deerdogs,

Regardless of the score, that is a lovely head. Are you going to get it measured officially?? Where abouts did it come from??

Hi Pete. I may get it done next year. He came from arable farmland a couple of miles west of Bury St Edmunds.

posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

I was stalking out of the club cottage last weekend. On the Sunday, I was driving home around 11am, and saw two munty bucks fighting in a field on the side of the road.
They were at it a couple of minutes before one chased the other into a large bramble patch in the hedgerow. Remarkable to watch as I have never seen that before. All in all, a great end to a good weekends stalking.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a handy sized trophy Deerdog (must be the geography!).

I'm just going to get out the tape measure and maybe you or Pete E can tell me how to go about getting a trophy "officially" measured please?

------------------

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pete,

You need to find a qualified CIC measurer.
Although I did not notice it happening this year, at previous deerfairs I have seen either Dominic Griffiths (sp?) or Richard Prior measuring them. I suspect i have also seen them do it at the Weston Park which is coming up the weekend after next. I'll do some digging and get back to you,

Pete

posted Hide Post
Peter

Dominic Griffiths (sp?) will be on the BDS stand at Weston Park the weekend after next.
If you can't make that, I have Richard Priors
telephone and his wife says you can either post them or drop them off at his house.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

Sorry, been away on a non shooting holiday.

Looks a great head - bet he had a neck on him!

Dominic just measured my good heads - 2 golds (but not as good as yours)and a silver together with a freak 7 pointer and one where the 2 points of one tine are equal lengths. There has to be some return for time spent on what most stalkers have turned their nose up against. One is the sheer fun of stalking them and the other is that there can be some surprisingly good trophies.

I still fancy a crack at Muntjac Giganticus in the jungles of Laos/Cambodia!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Here's another pic from the Muntjac I posted above. It's taken from another angle to show how the antlers bend backwards

------------------
Andr�