THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Jamison suing Browning/Win. over short mags????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jamison suing Browning/Win. over short mags????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's this rumor I heard about Jamison suing Browning over short mags saying he invented them?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go over to shortmags.com they have alot more information on that suit.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the URL is shortmags.org

If this is true, and Jamison didn't apply for a patent, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of success.

I have a patent pending on a software idea; patents are not cheap, but the lawyers I talked to said unless you apply for one (within a year of your invention becoming public knowledge) you are out of luck.

Being a bit of gun hack myself, I can't imagine a writer suing a gun manufacturer. It must be a rumor.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Odds are seriously against anyone who is not a manufacturer winning a patent dispute. Unless he had actually made the rounds and rifles to go along with it AND applied for the patent within a year. Patents are still seriously weakened if the holder is not the maker of the item.

I wholeheartedly agree with AZwriters accessment.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time there was a very good 22 centerfire cartridge called the .22 Varminter. I can't remember the name of the man who developed it, and I'm not even sure that was the name he used. Anyway, his cartridge was so good that he patented it and the name, hoping to make his fame and fortune from it. In due time, the major manufacturers decided to chamber it. They expected (or got) some resistance, so they altered his invention just enough to get around the patent. They made a ton of money, and now I can't remember the inventor's name.

But I do remember what the major manufacturers call their version of his patented cartridge: the 22-250.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
What's this rumor I heard about Jamison suing Browning over short mags saying he invented them?
Wouldn't surprise me at all that old "300Mag" would attempt such utter foolishness.

Next thing you will hear is he will want "Royalties" anytime someone mentions the 300WinMag is a fine cartridge. Not because he invented it, but because that is basically the ONLY cartridge he talked about for 25 years.

Once I realized jamison was "skewing the Loading Data" in an attempt to down-play other cartridges when compared to the 300WinMag, I realized he had lost his credability with me. The bad part is if he had just reported them "fairly", the 300WinMag would still have looked great.

Pitiful!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okie john,

It wasn't "Gebby" was it?

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by okie john:
Once upon a time there was a very good 22 centerfire cartridge called the .22 Varminter. I can't remember the name of the man who developed it, and I'm not even sure that was the name he used. Anyway, his cartridge was so good that he patented it and the name, hoping to make his fame and fortune from it. In due time, the major manufacturers decided to chamber it. They expected (or got) some resistance, so they altered his invention just enough to get around the patent. They made a ton of money, and now I can't remember the inventor's name.

But I do remember what the major manufacturers call their version of his patented cartridge: the 22-250.

Okie John

That story is probably urban myth. I doubt he received a patent for a new cartridge design (which is the same as all of the old cartridge designs except for dimensions which can be varied by any engineer or hobbyist).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
the 22 & 6mm PPCs have been out there a long time. the faster powders were developed for them and the bench rest shooters.
For that matter the .308 isn't that far removed from the WSMs.
It sounds like a rumor to me...

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
JD Jones apparently did something to license the 300 Whisper. He even claims that his load data will not work in the 300/221 cartridge, even though they are the same thing (he will likely even debate me on this). He defends this cartridge, as his, with a passion.

I guess what I am saying is that it may not be a urban legend. I would like to see someone give more information on the subject.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptJack:
the 22 & 6mm PPCs have been out there a long time. the faster powders were developed for them and the bench rest shooters.
For that matter the .308 isn't that far removed from the WSMs.
It sounds like a rumor to me...

There was a patent on the ppc or what ever it's called don't know if still in effect today.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Actually the URL is shortmags.org

If this is true, and Jamison didn't apply for a patent, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of success.

I have a patent pending on a software idea; patents are not cheap, but the lawyers I talked to said unless you apply for one (within a year of your invention becoming public knowledge) you are out of luck.

Being a bit of gun hack myself, I can't imagine a writer suing a gun manufacturer. It must be a rumor.

For the software, it would not hurt to also copyright it. The copyright is automatically granted in a few days and costs about $15. Good luck.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this lawsuit is true, the irony would be that in the 1950's there where multiple wildcats that are virtually identical to the current Win short mags (including case head size).

They were made from 348 Win. brass, with the rim turned off on a lathe.

Some had radiused shoulders (like the Weatherby's), and others had conventional shoulders like the WSM.

I doubt a suit like this would get very far.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote