Find
Notify
Tools

Keith Atcheson
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted
Just heard Keith Atcheson illegally shot a Grizzly in Montana by mistake.

Anyone else have any information?

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
No, but now my interest is peaked as well. Wonder what occurred.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS! Montana and Idaho both have various color phase bears, and some real big ones to boot. When in doubt, let it walk.......

Hunter who killed grizzly is cited

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) -- A Butte man has been cited for allegedly killing a grizzly bear north of Ovando, the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks said Monday.

Keith Atcheson was to appear in Powell County Justice Court on the misdemeanor charge Tuesday.

Atcheson is accused of killing the male grizzly May 5 while hunting in the Dunham Creek drainage south of the Bob Marshall Wilderness. He thought it was a black bear, the agency said.

After realizing his mistake, Atcheson reported the incident to Fish, Wildlife and Parks, said Vivaca Crowser, Region 2 FWP information officer.

The agency tagged the grizzly in 1999 after trapping it and two others following a bear complaint. It then relocated the bear to the south fork of the Flathead River, Crowser said.

The May 5 incident was the first time this year that a Montana grizzly has been killed after being mistaken for another type of bear, the agency said. Grizzly bears are a federally protected species and cannot legally be hunted in the state.

Fish, Wildlife and Parks said black bear hunters must successfully complete the agency's bear identification test before purchasing a black bear license. The agency urges all black bear hunters to continuously hone their bear identification skills so they can distinguish a black bear from a grizzly.

E-MAIL THIS STORY

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what his rifle and cartridge combo was and how many shots it took. Hope we get some details.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine that Keith could have just left the animal lie and no one would have ever know who killed it. Instead, if the story is correct, he turned himself in. This may cause him big-time problems with his business. I hope not. No one is perfect.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I just read about it last night in the paper, mistook it for a black????

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I know we all make mistakes, but somebody with supposedly so much hunting, guiding, booking experience should be expected to no do this.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone makes mistakes; he showed a lot of integrity by reporting his mistake.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7 +1
he has fessed up to his mistake. many would have left this animal laying and not thought twice. his integity is shining through.
james

Posts: 74 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

I agree. Knowing how he makes a living, he could have been unethical, turned his back, and walked away. Instead, he reported the incident. There are many people out there that would NOT have done that.

He'll probably use this to drum up more business on what NOT to do. This incident could go a few different ways for him.

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fish, Wildlife and Parks said black bear hunters must successfully complete the agency's bear identification test before purchasing a black bear license. The agency urges all black bear hunters to continuously hone their bear identification skills so they can distinguish a black bear from a grizzly.

Assuming he successfully completed this test before going hunting, and being a man with such extensive in-the-field experience, making this kind of hunting mistake is almost unbelievable. IMO, turning himself in does not make it any more palatable. The reports do not say who, if anyone, was with him at the time.

Another article reports he was fined $2,500.00 and ordered to complete a remedial hunter education course.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've taken and passed the test. I've hunted "Black" Bear in several western States. There are places where color phase Bears out number the black phase. My last Idaho Bear is a "honey tipped" and looks exactly like some Grizzly Bears in color. I respect Keith's decision to turn himself in (I can only read the article and assume that). I bet very few would have faced the Judge on that mistake. And I assure you, it is not difficult to make the same mistake. Western Grizzlies are a lot smaller than most Eastern folks realize. They average (in many cases) no more than mature Black Bears. There are tell-tell things to look for, but we don't have any idea the conditions Keith was hunting under. He made a mistake and turned himself in. Dang, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes but I would have no problems hunting with the man. I'm not a Judge nor Jury. Good hunting and my hat's off to your honesty Mr. Atcheson. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta say Keith goofed. But he handled it as well as could be done. Speaks well of him and his ethic.

We all make mistakes. How we handle them is a measure of us. He passed well.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I've seen both types of bears in the wild and it isn't always easy to tell the difference. Mr. Atcheson handled the situation as the professional that he is. He showed his honesty, integrety, and his character. I would hope that the rest of us could do the same. salute

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He made a mistake, he fessed up and took his punishment. Sounds like a stand-up guy to me. I would hunt with him, if I could afford it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith did the right thing as could be expected of him. IMHO he is a good guy.

Brett

One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
Local man charged with killing grizzly
By Justin Post of The Montana Standard - 05/15/2007

A Butte man is charged in the May 5 killing of a grizzly bear while hunting north of Ovando, according to the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Keith Atcheson is scheduled to appear before Judge Terry McGillis at 11 a.m. Tuesday in Powell County justice court in Deer Lodge for the misdemeanor charge of killing the animal.

Grizzly bears, a feder-ally protected species, cannot legally be hunted in Montana. This is the only Montana grizzly killed as the result of a mistaken identity in 2007, according to FWP.

Atcheson faces up to a $500 fine for killing the grizzly, Judge McGillis said.

Atcheson was hunting in the Dunham Creek drainage north of Ovando and south of the Bob Marshall Wilderness, said Vivaca Crowser, Region 2 FWP information officer.

After realizing he had misidentified the grizzly as a black bear, he “immediately†reported the incident to the agency, she said.

Hunters are required to complete testing to identify black and grizzly bears before being certified to shoot a Montana black bear, Crowser said.

The grizzly was tagged by FWP in 1999 when it was trapped along with two others following a bear complaint and relocated to the south fork of the Flathead River, Crowser said.

Atcheson did not return a message Monday seeking comment.

P>S> Keith is a good guy (I don't say that about too many competitors)...just a mistake and he did the right thing in reporting the incident straight away.

Cheers,

Clark Jeffs
SAFARI OUTFITTERS, INC.

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's great to have so many experts on this forum, but frankly its damn easy to mistake a big black from a Griz IMO, It's very possible under some circumstances and I don't care how much experience you have. I was with a very well known and experienced guide one time and he and I both had trouble identifying a bear late one evening. I just guess were all not perfect, and those that can't understand have probably not hunted as many bears as they profess.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ray, I do not and did not claim to be an expert. What I think would have been even MORE unfortunate is if Mr. Atcheson had been guiding a hunter on this hunt and told his client to pull the trigger.

No matter what, it would still have been the client's problem.

There are always the "what ifs."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not easy to mistake a black bear from a grizzly. It is however possible to do so. It does not reflect well on us that, we pat him on the back for doing the right thing. What he did should be considered the bare minimum required conduct.

You don't get the Silver Star for doing your job. IMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After realizing his mistake, Atcheson reported the incident to Fish, Wildlife and Parks, said Vivaca Crowser, Region 2 FWP information officer.
Sure sounds like he did the ethical and proper thing to me.

While participating in numerous Doe Culls, I can remember a good number of First Year Spikes that were drug in by people who just couldn't see the Spikes. A young Spike looks like a Larger(1.5yr) Doe if is it standing next to it's twin Doe. The Spikes are easily hidden by the ear and if it is in a chopped corn field, the background complicates the clarity even more.

More Power on the Scopes helped eliminate that issue. But, mistakes still do happen. A Spike under 3" is Illegal there.

Speaks well for Keith Atcheson to hold himself accountable - from my view.

Best of luck to him.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Ditto.

Another example of "shite happens", even to the best of us.

19 out of 20 times, interior g-bears are really easy to tell apart from blackies. That other 1 out of 20, most times, becomes clear after you've had a while to watch it for it a bit. Occasionally though, it can be damned near impossible to tell under field conditions. I've watched a couple black bears for over an hour before I realized it was actually a griz....black, black black, no discernable hump and only the claws eventually gave it away in one case (once I could finally see them).

All the best to Keith...

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Atchesons and brown bear hunting, how do you like this pic that Jack sent me of one that he shot last year?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely that he did the right thing by turning thing himslef in. I am also sure it was an HONEST mistake. However , the fact is like all of us he has a legal and moral obligation to be sure of his target before pulling the trigger. As some earlier said IF there is a question let it walk, is that attitude some how wrong ? I have never hunted in country where Griz live, so I have never had to worry about how to identify them. I do know though that if i shot a button buck to put my doe tag on it would be wrong, honest mistake or not. For the record this is not something that would prevent me booking a hunt through him , but I might think twice before hiring him to guide me on Black bear hunt anywhere that we might see a griz.

Bottom line to me is he messed up, admitted it paid the price and should be allowed to move on from there.

Posts: 43 | Location: Western NY | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
While participating in numerous Doe Culls, I can remember a good number of First Year Spikes that were drug in by people who just couldn't see the Spikes.

Montana doe tags are good for a spike smaller than 4", and those big ears will hide a spike from sight. I've passed on deer a few times because I were just not 100% sure of what we were seeing. I bet Keith Atcheson has done so plenty of times, too, and was just unlucky.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14382 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I pasted a message on to Keith yesterday hoping he would write up the incident himself. Maybe he will when the has time.

It would seem he did make a mistake in identification but the circumstances seem to me to indicate it could easily have happened to any of us.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
The R.M.E.F. had a article on identifying bears a few years back.

They had a test to see if one could identify 10 pictures of bears both blacks and grizzlies in various positions just like one would see in the field while hunting.

I thought it would be easy so I took the test.

I correctly identified 6 out of 10....

Some of the identifying characteristics were so difficult to judge (such as longer claws on grizzlies) that I'm surprised this is the first incident.

I'm glad I don't have that problem here in Oregon!

Keith Atcheson certainly did the right thing by calling Fish and Game. Most guys who have actual hunting experience can appreciate his situation for what it is, and since the vast majority of his clientele fall into that category I doubt his buisness will suffer the least bit.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote