THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    BEST OUT OF THE BOXFACTORY RIFLES :EUROPEAN OR AMERICAN
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST OUT OF THE BOXFACTORY RIFLES :EUROPEAN OR AMERICAN
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In his reply to my thread on custom or factory rifles, Einar K. Harraldsson advised me to get a European factory rifle/scope.
Being a natural devious sort, I just can't help but asking the following question(s).

What is the overall best factory rifle? Is it American or European? What is the best scope? A or E? Why?

In my opinion, the best factory rifle is the Remington Model 700. It combines reasonable good looks with accuracy, ruggedness , relative affordability, availability and a long track record of field success in one tidy package.

In the scope department, I would choose the Leupold. Clarity, stability, ruggedness, availability, a great warranty, and track record in one package (however, they could work on the prices).

Now What do U think?

Good Shooting HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I agree with both your selections.

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ruger 77 mk2 is the toughest the savage the most accrate. But over all I have to go with the ruger.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
i have 4 rem. 700s and 2 rem. model 7s and 6 leupold scopes.not a one has ever let me down.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd also go with the Ruger M77 Mk II as the overall best deal going. There are always deals on them in the $400-450 range, add a leupold M8 or VX III for $200-300 and you're set. They may not be the most accurate, but as a hunting rifle, they are more then accurate enough.

The Win M70 is also an excellent hunting rifle, but by the time you add bases and rings, you're at about the price of a scoped M77.

The rem 700's have alot of fans, and some strongpoints for sure, but they are not my cup of tea for a big game hunting rifle.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
I'm not sure any single company has any sort of claim to bragging rights in terms of accuracy or reliability. That includes the European rifle manufacturers as well! In 1987 I sent a Sako .308 rifle back to Finland from Germany b/c the factory stock warped so bad it drastically pushed the barrel to one side and the gun never would group. Normally I'd fix this myself by relieving a little wood. In this case the warpage was so drastic it would have left a 3/8 gap on one side of the barrel! Sako LOST my rifle AT THE FACTORY and 6 months later I finally got them to agree to send a new replacement...try calling Sako in Finland and talking English!
I just sent a Remington M7 SS in 7-08 back to the factory. Have owned the gun for two years and have tried dozens of loads and combinations in the gun. It still won't shoot less than 4-5" groups. Larger with green box factory fodder. I put it in a new HS precision stock, then bedded it, then installed a Jewell trigger...still nothing. I was about to send it to my smith for a Lilja barrel and thought better. Its a $580 gun and I thought it only proper that Remington be afforded an opportunity to make it right. I also, just recently got my M70 .300 WSM Featherweight back from Winchester. The brand new gun would fail to feed the 2d round from the magazine every time I cycled the bolt...the cartridge would literally pop out when I cycled the bolt and end up on the ground. Winchester fixed it by installing a new receiver!. It works but I haven't shot it yet.
I've had all kinds of problems from all kinds of manufacturers--even with high end guns. Just recently sent a Freedom Arms revolver back that locked up on the 2d cylinder of factory ammo right out of the box!
Sad part is I'm not overly demanding about accuracy from my hunting guns. If the thing will group 1.5 MOA that's better than I can hold it in the field way past 400 yards! Anything better is nice...but who cares. You can take a 1 MOA gun and win the National HP Rifle championship at Camp Perry every year if you can hold it that steady!
For scopes, Leupold is my minimum. I like the high end european stuff better. I just bought a Zeiss 3.5-10, 44mm US made Conquest and am VERY impressed with the scope. Its made with German parts and lenses but assembled in the US. Everything is made to the same specs as the German Z- series. It has a fixed eye relief throught the entire power range, the optics are brighter tha any of my Vari-X IIIs and it has a Lifetime Transferable Warranty! Cost was $499 which is about $40-60 more than the same Leupold. (I own two 3.5-10 power VAri-X IIIs) and I think its easily twice the scope! I really like Swarovski and Kahles though!

[This message has been edited by Jeff S (edited 09-07-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Won�t say anything about rifles, but there�s Kahles and Swarovski, and I really think they top Zeiss ( had problems with one, but even apart from that ... ). Can�t think that Leupold is better in optics than those.

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, can�t keep my mouth shut: I don�t know what�s the best rifle, but Remingtons for sure they are not.

Good shooting and good hunting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I am afraid the only European factory made rifles that I like are the Sakos.

Apart from them, I keep away from the rest.

I just cannot understand the European pre-occupation of trying to build all sorts of crazy actions.

Also, I am not too impressed with European stocks at all. In fact, I think they are an "abomination" as one of my friends from Africa once said.

I will take a Remington 700, and put a Leupold scope on it. Forget all those over-priced, over size scopes that come from Europe.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67051 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As usual, Saeed's opinions here are exactly right!

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree with most of the expressed opinions. I've had and still own most brands of rifles. The only ones that didn't need tuning or accurizing of any sort and that gave custom performance right out of the box are : Sauer 202 and Blaser. Of course, they are also a lot more expensive than mass produced rifles but then, you get what you pay for. As to scopes, I consider the Leupold Vari X-III the best value for money but quality wise, my heart goes to Swarovski.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
In terms of general quality of finish I think European rifles have the edge. I am thinking of Sauer and Heym here. Mannlichers are full of plastic which breaks as soon as you look at it. Tikka and Sako are quality rifles out of the box, esp Sako, but they are too arrogant to make a LH.

Never had a US rifle other than a 10/22, but I would like to try a Mod 70 if I could find one in LH.

Only ever had Schmidt & Bender, Khales and Swarovski. Type 4a reticle only. I do not favour duplex. They all work fine, and look good too.

regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For deerstalking, I have say the European rifles beat the American stuff we see hands down. The quality control just seems to be that much better out of the box. Also they tend not to come with triggers set by lawyers! CZ, Tikka, Sako and Sauer offer excellent rifles for there respective price ranges...seems to me if you buy a Remchester you always have to budget that bit more to have it slicked over. Where American products win out is the sheer diversity/ selection that you can buy off the shelf pplus the aftermarket products available for them ie the extra's you can buy to customise your 10-22 for instance.

Scope wise, I would say that Leupold is where good glass starts but I would be just as happy with a Meopta or S&B scope. Zeiss and Swarovski are just something else, but of course then you have to pay the extra!

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Generally I would choose an american rifle if I had to buy a brand new. Although the quality of european rifles is excellent, they are I.M.H.O. too high-tech. The stocks are mostly hog-back or Monte Carlo, which during most circumstances is quite detrimental for good shooting. The only new european rifle I would consider is the BRNO.

The american rifles seem to be made for hard use in the field. Did anyone try to clean a modern Mannlicher bolt in the field? I did once and will never do it again!

Scopes however, are optically better if they are from Europe. A Zeiss from Germany or a Swarowski from Austria is the top choice. And my 35 year old Carl Zeiss from eastern germany is still better than a neu Leupold - and leupold are by no means bad!

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

The QUALITY of European rifles is EXCELLENT. But, they are not my type of rifles.

I am afraid all these new fangled inventions, like straight pull bolts, mobile receivers, ball bearing locking bolts, bolts that lock at the rear, might be the answer to someone's prayer.

But, not for me.

I do not like the European style stocks either.

And the worst part is those extremely high scope mounts. Even you manage to get a LOW set of mounts, they are still far too high for my liking.

A couple of years ago, I was hunting with a friend in Zimbabwe. He had a custom built rifle on a Dakota 76 action, chambered for the 416 Rigby.

There was no way that I could have shot that rifle with any sort of accuracy. As when you look through the scope, you barely have your chin on the bloody stock.

In comparison, my ow rifle, which has a classic stock of "normal" dimentions, can be picked and aimed in a second.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

Posts: 67051 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HillyBillyBear,
Find yourself a Pre-64 M70. If you do your homework and look in the right places you can find them in new or like new condition. IMHO(and that of many other knowledgeable riflemen) this is the best factory sporter rifle ever produced. The quality and craftsmanship is beyond reproach. I have several and all are among the best shooters I own. Without any tuning at all my 1952 vintage .257 Roberts consistently shoots .5" to .75" groups with whatever I feed it. Further my 1960 .338 with only a trigger smoothing obliges me with .75" 5 shot groups using 230 gr failsafes. Oh yea, every pre-64 I have will feed empty cases as they came from the factory. I have never had a new production rifle that will do this! Anyway, there are enough pre-64's in circulation that you could, with some effort, find one that suits your needs and wants. Get a copy of gunlist or check www.gunsamerica.com. you won't be disappointed.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always liked Mauser-type extractors and all of my big game rifles have them.

But, I spent half an hour or so handling different factory rifles in a gun shop Saturday and have to admit I'm coming around on the 700.

If I were going to buy a factory rifle and have it worked on (trigger job and bedding at minimum) I would get a Ruger.

If I wanted to buy one and shoot it right out of the box, it would be the Remington.

Triggers are a deciding factor--the Ruger factory trigger I find just impossible. The current Model 70 trigger is pretty good but there were a lot of tool marks on the bolt shrouds.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From the few examples of Pre64's I have seen, I suspect many people see them with rose coloured glasses...quite frankly the finish
on the metal and woodwork was average, and the action was no smoother than a CZ. A friends very early .270 ( I want to say 1927 but I think I may be wrong) had a very clubby fore end and the action had a lot of tool marks. I would happy take my L591 Sako anyday
for deer stalking...if you want CRF thats a different matter:-)

As to the mounts on European rifles, that seems to be a matter of taste. I certainly don't like the high apel mounts, but nobody says you have to use them:-)

Same goes for the "new fangled" actions...plenty of alternatives for those who want either a push feed or a crf...Plus don't forget that the M98 is the factory rifle!
most other CRF's are judged by....

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I don't have a problem with European quality at all, but many European bolt-guns are way over engineered in my opinion. To me, the best production European bolt action is the Sako Model 75. It's simple, sound, well-made, and generally very accurate. The Johannsen Mauser 98 reproduction is wonderful, but expensive, and cannot really be classed as a production rifle.

As far as American rifles are concerned, I like the action design and stock design of the Model 70 Classic Sporter LT & Super Grade the best.

Remington quality has slipped a great deal over the last dozen years or so, and the fundamental action and stocked design could stand a long-overdue upgrade.

It's possible that the best out-of-box performer produced in the USA may be the current Weatherby Mark V.

Best scopes: Leupold's Vari-X III series, but as has been mentioned, the 50mm versions are not what you want.

To be honest, the miracle "out-of-the-box" rifle does not exist. It's sort of an oxymoron. Almost all production rifles need a bit of tuning to get the most out of them, and a wise consumer will not be afraid to invest a bit of time and money in a little refinement.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
While they have a reputation for good optics (perhaps more-so than deserved), traditional European scopes are heavy, bulky, and generally strange. Their variables had, until recently, magnifying reticles, making the reticle at high power blank out the target. Combined with traditional European mounts (way too high) and traditional European stocks (way too low), this created a shooter's abomination as Saeed has observed.

The success of more recent European scopes lies in their adopting Americanized designs. Likewise, the shortcoming of current American scopes is in adopting European features like 50mm objectives and 30mm tubes.

The more like Leupold's original Vari-X line a scope is, no matter wheather European, American, or Asian, the better adapted to real-world shooting.

As for rifles, Europeans have always had quality, and so long as their designs follow the American pattern, they're generally better rifles. The great success of Sako is that it's a European rifle which started out and continues to use an American-style pattern. They suffered a brief lapse when distributed by the Garcia Corporation who made the sleek stocks and barrels fatter and cruder to meet what they mistakenly thought was American taste.

In summary, combining European quality with American patterns gives you the best rifles and scopes.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Chipola Creek>
posted
Best European rifle is a Voere Titan II made in Vorrenbach, Germany. I've got one in .308 w/a Swarovski scope - the rifle action is silk smooth and groups under an inch at 100 meters. Second best is a Brno/CZ 600 in 30.06 with Nikon scope - ugly but very accurate.

Best U.S. made rife: Winchester Model 94, 30-30; second best M1A1 in .308 from Springfield Armory.

<Ozhunter>
posted
Hmm I'll go against the flow as European rifles are equally as available here in Australia as US made, and generally speaking prices aren't that much different, unlike you US based guys who have the advantage of your local products being so inexpensive.

Here a Sako 75 Varmint SS laminate is about the same price as a Rem 700 VLS or VSSF, both rems are very expensive. The Rugers are cheaper as are the Savages.

Now I look at the CZ 550 Magnum action and I can't see anything wrong with it, I have the older 602 in a classic stock and it is a beaut rifle, shoots accurately and the action is a classic square bridge magnum mauser in design.
I have Rem, Ruger, Sako, CZ, BRNO and FN M98. Out of the box I think the Sako is the better gun, but my Ruger 77VT is a damn nice rifle, shot 3/4" out of the box with 25/06 handloads, and was half the price of a Sendero SF.

But the biggest thing on the original question is, qualified by at what level.....a safari Express Ruger out of the box is probably one of the nicest product rifles out of any country IMHO, nice wood, great 98 type magnum action, good safety and trigger and well finished....

Damn I just can't make up my mind.......I guess it depends on the type of rifle you're after.

<1LoneWolf>
posted
Tough choice to made.

But I don't think anything can beat a SAKO for looks "and" the ability to place a bullet where it needs to be placed. Never have I had a SAKO disappoint me.

But there are a lot of fine rifles in this world. I'd be hard pressed to pick between a CZ550 and a USRAC M70 Classic.

So, I'll take the SAKO and be happy.

ON SCOPES!
Even tougher. A Leupold has never disappointed me. Then again neither has a Kahles or Zeiss. 30mm tubes, I don't need it, but they don't hurt except in weight and then not enough to matter, if you are in shape.

I can't make the call as to what to go for. Probably whoever has a sale on one of the top choices. Just give me a scope that is "not" an adjustable objective for hunting purposes.

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

[This message has been edited by 1LoneWolf (edited 09-08-2001).]

<Wolverine>
posted
The only European rifle I own is a CZ 452 Lux .22LR. It's a very nice rifle.

There is a such thing as a consistent out-of-the-box shooter, and it is called Savage. Then again, many don't like the trigger pull so we're back to tuning the rifle again.

<500 AHR>
posted
I have owned a few European rifles. A Sauer and a Sako. I was not impressed with either. The Sako to me was not any better than a M700 (but about 50% more). The Sauer was a royal POS. I traded it off for a M70 (sucker)! The very best build bolt actions are made right here in the States, but you will pay for them. There are many excellent semi to full custom European rifles as well again you will pay.

The best factory rifle right now available out of Europe for the money is a Beretta MATO.

Anyway, basically the European guns (like about everything else from Europe) is all about looks. European factory rifles in my opinion are very shallow. In other words, they look good on the outside, but or no better and often worse than the American equivalent. If you want something that will shoot very well and take a beating get any of the big american rifles and customize it with the money you save over the European junk.

To put it another way (for any car guys out there) the european factory rifles for the most part are ALL SHOW AND NO GO!!!

Todd E

<R. A. Berry>
posted
My picks for factory rifles:
Short Magnum (up to .458 Win.): Ruger Mark II Model 77

H&H or RUM: Winchester Model 70 Classic

H&H or Rigby: CZ 550 Magnum

All three are a lot of bang for the buck. Good out of the box, sometimes great. All three can be made great through gunsmithing.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I'm with you on the Remington idea. A Model 700 LH (for me!) stainless steel with a Leupold scope, Burris Signature rings and top it off with a HS Percision stock. Hey, that's the rifle I have, oh yeah, it's a 30-no-6!

Any big hunts in the future? I'm off to Yakutat, AK. (about a 150 miles from Juneau)Sept. 20th for moose and brown bear. I'll send pictures if we bag anything.

PS...I'll be using the 30/06 I mentioned above.

CK

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
CK,

We are off to Zimbabwe in 24 days time.

I spoke to our friends there yesterday, and they said summer has just arrived with a vengeance!

Great for following elephant and buffalo on a hot windless day!

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

one of us
posted Hide Post
OUT OF THE BOX... Howa

Or find an old Pre 64 Win.

Scope: Leupold Var III 2.5- 8

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Rem 700 & Leupold

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
There do not seem to be as many European rifles as their used to be, but it is not even a close question: guns of European manufacture are far superior.

It would cost Remington upwards of a thousand dollars to manufacture an action the equivalent of the Sako 75. The Remington 700 is a wax mold casting. Most of the Sako 75 components are machined or forged (there are some cast parts).

Look at the Anschutz product. There is no comparable American factory product unless you count the Cooper. They are nice and have gorgeous wood, but under a microscope (so to speak) they do not compare with an
Anschutz.

Then there is the Sauer 202 and the Blaser. The machining work and the quality of components embarass anything produced by the big three (Rem, Win and Ruger) or any of their custom shops. That said, the new Kimbers sure do look nice.

The Germans and northern Europeans just seem to have a talent for working metal; they just make a superior product. Aisde from perhaps ergonomics of stock design on some european products, it is not even a close call.

Regards,

Jordan

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Of course the Remington 700 and Sako 75 are excellent picks too, but only for rifles of less than 375 caliber, i.e., for the small bores where a pushfeed is O.K.

Scope I forgot to mention: Leupold of course. Mostly the 2.5X-8X Vari-X III if I had to stick to one. My other three favorite Leuies are the 2.5X M8(fixed power), the 1.5X-5X, and the 1.75X-6XE.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

posted Hide Post
I think the difference between American & European rifles also comes down to different
expectations. I find most Americans almost expect to do some work on a rifle after it is bought where as most Europeans do not...they expect the rifle to function perfectly straight from the box. American rifles from the Big Three are also truely mass production items in the truest sense with rifles being produced in far bigger numbers.

There are some average/poor rifles made in Europe but most Americans never get to see them as they are not exported. FIAS is one brand which springs to mind.

<500 AHR>
posted
Pete E

I think that you hit the nail on the head so to speak. The Europeans seem to be conforming than we Americans. By that I mean, Europeans seems to share more of the same functions in a rifle. In the US everyone wants something a little different. Therefore, the US manufacturers make weapons of somewhat lesser finish and features knowing that many of the final owners will customize the weapons. This by the way cascades into motorcycles, cars, electronics, etc here in the US. In America there simply is not a true one size fits all!

Todd E

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Well for rifles I have Remington, Winchester,
Mauser,Ruger,Savage,an like then all, the Savage and Winchester shoot better then the rest but all well 1" or under at 100 yds. the best rifle is hard to say. When it comes to scope I will spend my money on Burris or Leupold all European scope are over price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone please explain to me why the castings are not as good as the forgings. I am just a Remington loving farmer and do not understand why one is better than the other.

Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not even sure that the Rem 700 is a casting. Looks like just a section of a thick piece of pipe to me (not that it doesn't work fairly well).

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm suprised at the mention of the Rugers, as without a doubt they are the least accurate and most inconsistent rifle produced in the USA. Inexpensive, yes. But if the dozen or so M-77s and No.1s I;ve had through the years, none has ever been able to HOLD 1 MOA. Sure a group here and there in one or two rifles might make it, but never consistently. One can fire a single group into a quarter, and the very next group won't hold a saucer. They are an investment cast receiver with a low-cost crap barrel, that maybe one rifle in ten will shoot with some degree of satisfaction. The wood stocks have all the personality and character of a rough lumber fence, and the synthetics belong on a kid's air rifle. In order to further degrade the appearance of the M-77, Ruger is now leaving the entire bolt and handle in the white. Lovely.

The Weatherby Mark V as now produced is the best quality rifle in the USA, in any calibre, and the price reflects that. They come out of the box with a beautiful trigger, and accuracy guarantee that they easily beat, and an attention to detail, quality and consistent manufacture that has few peers anywhere. You may not care for their stock design, but they're quaity control and value is the best.

Winchester could be a great rifle but they would have to add $100 to the price for some intelligent bedding and getting rid of that crappy-looking plastic triggerguard and grip crap.

Remingtons are generally OK, but rather utilitarian, and 1 in 10 rifles is screwed up accuracy-wise or with bluing salts left all over it. The Model 7, while fast-handling, easy-to-carry and cute, is the most inaccurate CF rifle I've ever fired. Worse than the Ruger, which is hard to believe.

Leupold scope are good, but the Vari-X II is overpriced for a scope with FRICTION RING adjustments, the Vari-X III is pure obscene extra profit and the LPS is for dodo birds that dont have to carry their own rifle. Burris is just as good, in some ways better than Leupold, and less expensive. Zeiss, Swarovski and esp Kahles are very good, but their price doesnt justify an advantage over Leupold. The 30mm tubes leave me cold and weigh down the rifle and look ridiculous.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KuduKing:

The Model 7, while fast-handling, easy-to-carry and cute, is the most inaccurate CF rifle I've ever fired. Worse than the Ruger, which is hard to believe.

Kudu King,

I have recently taken a Remington Seven into consideration, but I found it too short and too back-heavy for good shooting. The problem is IMHO not a lack of mechanical precision but a lack of balance and shootability. Just the same problem I had with my Husqvarna 2001 in .222R I wanted to get rid of. With that gun I was hardly able to hit a newspaper at 80 yards freehand because of the heavy rear. I went home with an old BRNO Fox instead of the pretty Rem, good balance and handling.

Although I don�t like push-feeds, I must admit that the Rems usually are well shooting and well balanced.

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personaly I think this is an indication of why custom rifles are so popular.

I'm not a fancy wood or engraving fan all I sought in a rifle was a plain sporter pistol grip but no montecarlo stock and an action with a drop plate, 24" barrel 2 position side safety all quality engineered.

Doesn't exist (maybe BRNO come close?) so for the price of a Sauer Lux I had one made.

TIKKA are excellent out the box if you can bear a bit of plastic.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote