THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    BEST OUT OF THE BOXFACTORY RIFLES :EUROPEAN OR AMERICAN
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST OUT OF THE BOXFACTORY RIFLES :EUROPEAN OR AMERICAN
 Login/Join

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I am am amazed how intelligent all of you have become.This is not a flame.What amazes me is the fact,that no one has mentioned Browning.That shows me how smart you all are,and also no mention of Winchester.They ought to read this forum,and maybe they would increase the quality of their product.Kudos to all of you.Remember,the best rifle out of the box,is the one YOU shoot the best.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com
P.S. All my custom rifles are built on Sako actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Sako and Sauer are the best out of the box factory rifles.

And I think Leupold is the best out of the box factory scope for less than $500.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
To clear up an inaccurate statement made earlier. The Remington 700 Reciever is machined from tubular bar stock steel. It is NOT a "wax mold casting". Uninformed supposition strikes again. Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<rlineb>
posted
the remington 700 action is used by many,including some guys i know local that build rilfes for the military in fort bragg(spooks or whatever you wanna call them),i've shot winchesters(got no complaint),but from lots of previous experience the rem. 700 action and barrels for a standard thing are hard to beat,everyone i've owned shot less than a inch for factory or handloads..i've always been opened minded about rem. and win.,plus i've owned a savage 110 in 7mm rem mag that would shoot under a inch with factory loads.so,no i'm not biased..but based upon experience(law enforcement statement in court),the remington 700 in any status is hard to beat,plus along with alot of people i know that shoot benchrest and 1000 yards,the actions are built around the remington 700 and remington 40X action.....plus,the .308 can be loaded hotter(especially by the huge lot got from the military) than you think,know some "guys"that got military .308(7.62 by 51mm) ammo that was doing at least 3000fps(sniper loads) from normal barrels and yes,i've been in the military before....

<Jordan>
posted
I may have been in error on the Rem wax mold casting. Come to think of it, it would make no sense at all to make that thing as a casting since it is so easily produced from tubular bar stock (after all, it is a round action). I remember reading an article complete with pictures regarding one of the large American manufacturers and their use of the wax mold method. It may have been Ruger and not Remington. Matt seems to have a handle on it. It certainly would not make sense to manufacture the Rem as a casting given that it is so easily turned from a tube.

Jordan

posted Hide Post
I suspect that it is Ruger that makes extensive use of investment casting's in there products....

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell you what, I'll have the rifle of my choice at Saeed's expense if the general trend is other than that most Americans prefer American guns and most Europeans prefer guns made in Europe.

If I'm wrong? Well, I'll have another beer!

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Well, I read all the replies and one I had hoped to see and didn't was Atkinson - I would like to see what he had to say. My personal battery is a Sako 375 H&H with Leupold scope and a Remington Mod 721 in 30-06 wearing a Redfield "Widefield" 2X7 scope. Both the old Mod 721 and the Redfield are obsolete and like me, they have been here a long time. I have both of them a lot of places and done a lot of hunting and shooting with them and never have I ever had a complaint with either of them. If I had to replace that combo today, I would look long and hard at another Sako w/ Leupold or a Remington mod 700, probably also with Leupold.
I own and use several custom built rifles (by Me) mostly on Mod 98 actions but the question was about factory rifles.
So come on, Ray, give us your thoughts and opinions.
Regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Maybe Ray will post, always interesting to hear from him.

This is RAB. Third and final revision of my current factory picks:

CRF for any caliber: Ruger 77 MK II, Winchester 70 Classic, CZ 550

Pushfeeds for sub .375 caliber: Weatherby Mark V, Remington 700, Sako 75.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 09-25-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
From my experience, and with my wallet, I will say CZ / Brno, Preferably in the former square bridge 601 / 602 series.
But as oposed to KuduKing who gave Ruger quite a bashing, I have had wery good experience with them, and my everyday big game rifle is a Model 77 MKII in .338 win mag. About scopes, I go for Leupold, but The big three European brands are superior regarding light gathering qualities.
I belive it all boils down to what one can afford within a sertain budget, and within those limitation, my out of the box will be a CZ or a Ruger topped with Leupold scope.
Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
The best factory rifle I have ever owned is my Sako 75 in .300 Weatherby. None of the Brownings, Remingtons or Rugers I've owned can match it, either in overall quality or accuracy.

As far as scopes are concerned, I've owned (and still do) several Leupold VX-III's. But 2 or 3 months ago I bought one of the new Zeiss Conquest scopes. It's the 3-9X40 and cost $399, which puts it right in there with the Leupolds pricewise. Simply put, this new Zeiss is a better scope than any VX-III I've ever owned. It's brighter, sharper, and easier to use. And so far it's holding up really well to the recoil of my .300 Weatherby. I really like the quick focus eyepiece, finger adjustable windage and elevation and the etched glass reticle.

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
...combining European quality with American patterns gives you the best rifles and scopes.

Exactly.

-- Mats

<Frank>
posted
I can't say much about factory rifles all of mine are custom. Being a lefty gives you not a whole lot of choices. But as far as scopes go schmit & bender tops for me then Ziess, Swaroski & kahels For hardcore long range Night-Force. Leupolds Glass not in the same league as the above scopes. Once you have looked through these scopes you will not go back.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
This topic proved one thing.By it's absence in the replies,Browning sure has fallen of the edge.
1geejay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby Mark V & Winchester Model 70 Classic..........

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote