Find
Notify
Tools

Bear in the lower 48....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all.
Where to go for bear in the lower states? Any tip on states and/or a outfitter?

Have a good easter all

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted bear one time, but had a great trip.

Hunted out of Elk City Idaho in a 2 bear area.

Here is the link to the folks I hunted with, they were recommended to me by another AR member.

www.elk-city-idaho-adventures.com/

If I remember correctly from our conversations in camp, "Stitch" is of Swiss ancestory.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maine and Washington probably have the biggest numbers. Pennsylvania and North Carolina probably produce the biggest bear.

So, do you want quantity or quality?

If I really wanted another bear skin, I've already got 2, I'd probably look to Maine. There are an awful lot of bear guides up there and that means you can afford to shop around for a good price and outfitter. One thing to note though is a lot of Maine outfitters shoot a lot of smaller bears.

If I wanted a really big bear, I'd look to North Carolina rather than Pennsylvania. The season is just too short in Pennsylvania, something like 3 days total.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
For spring I would suggest Idaho and www.bouldercreekoutfitters.com for fall Maine and www.allagashguideservice. Our group has hunted both places and taken nice bear at both.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DC Roxby,

I'd agree that Alaska is probably the best overall, but the man asked about the lower 48. And that eliminates Alaska from the list.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My son and I both tagged good bears in Washington last fall. The rugs turned out great!

My son's bear:

Mine:

Mine back as a rug:

There are several outfitters/guides on this forum: http://hunting-washington.com/

Best of luck on your hunt! Guy

Posts: 12 | Location: Washington, the dry side | Registered: 28 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi and thanks for the information.

A nice rug you got GuyM.
Flags, I am after a big bear, rather go after one big than 2 bears. For me the hunt is what I seek, like to have a stalk, no bait.
Any information on outfitters in North Carolina?

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vegard_dino:

Any information on outfitters in North Carolina?
I can't remember where I read it but I think that NC has banned baits and scents in the last year or two. Bear hunting is pretty much by blind chance now on a spot & stalk or it is with dogs (like you see a lot of in Idaho).

Spot & stalk in NC is NOT like you think it is out west where the country is open. The southeast US is THICK in cover, especially once the forests re-leaf themselves in the spring. Maybe a fall hunt would be the way to go in NC.

Sorry that I don't have any specific outfitter suggestions.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No bait and no dogs in Washington. That may be true in Oregon as well. All spot and stalk here. But... 300 pounds and an 18" or larger skull is a good bear here, 400 pounds is enormous. I hear the bears in NC are larger.

Guy

Posts: 12 | Location: Washington, the dry side | Registered: 28 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

GuyM, thanks for the reply.
Looks like you had a good hunt.

Scott Spencer, sounds interesting. Never been to the southeast, so a hunting trip sounds interesting. New area and new type forest. How is the pelt on the bears in NC? shades of colors or more black?Any area in NC to look out for?

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong,maybe someone from NC can chime in but...I think NC is chopped up by county/units by county seasons,rules,etc. its not one season rules/dates for the whole state...might want to check and see how many hunt days they allow where you want to go...you can hunt north Georgia and hunt the wma's and hunt national forest land and hunt the whole season!Check out the georgia regs..same big bears shared as north carolina/Georgia bears cant read state line signs.. rotflmo
I would recommend Cohutta/BIG FROG MOUNTAIN & chattahoochie/Chesttee/Rich Mountain wma's..The blood mountain area has a no camp on the AP trail right now because of bears coming into AP hikers camp at night and eating all there groceries and picnic baskets... rotflmo
Good Luck! tu2Big Bears are on those areas!You can fly into Atlanta and rent a car be up there in 2 hour tu2

http://blueridgemountains.com/cohuttas.html

http://www.georgiatrails.com/g...ian_Trail_in_Georgia

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
NC or Georgia, sounds good all to me. The area and the terrain looks interesting. Not what I am used to.
Georgia also have fall bear hunts?
A fall hunt makes it also possible to combine it with a hog or a deer, maybe.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Fall hunts only,no spring hunts,Georgia also has a early fall season on the south georgia bears that live in the Swamps down close to Florida...they can run those with dogs..I dont know much info about that season or hunts but i do think there is a wma called Dixon?That has had some big bear taken/i would like to do that one myself!Really sounds fun!
most all the bear in Georgia i would guess are solid Black with the odd brownish color taken..and yes you will have a great chance at a good buck or boar as well on many areas while hunting the bears!Its all fun!
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

DNR REGS lINK
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/hunting/regulations

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smiler
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Bear hunting in the swamps, way different than what I was thinking of. Very interesting. Smiler

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook Arizona. For Spring, I would recommend the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation. Lots of quality and quantity.

For a real kick, late-summer in the desert for bears feeding on the prickly-pear cactus. And they will come to predator calls too.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vegard_dino, I highly recommend Arizona and the White Mountain Apache Reservation. It is like hunting on a 1.6 million acre private ranch. Last may i hunted there with Jared Nichols www.nicholsguidingservice.com Tags are sold over the counter with a 2 bear limit and mountain lions are considered an 'animal of opportunity'. I shot a 420 lb black and a 507 lb chocolate bear. A high percentage of the bears are color phase. Jared is a full time professional guide and one of the best houndsmen in the entire Southwest. You can hunt behind dogs in the morning and over bait in the evening and even some spot and stalk hunts early in the season. The spring hunts are from late April to July and the bears hide is not rubbed on the later hunts due to the elevation of the hunts. No bugs and some of the most beautiful country in the USA.

Posts: 88 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.
The Arizona hunt looks very interesting. Never been there, the terrain are also very interesting.
Will send a mail.
Thanks for the link leftcoast.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
For big black bears in the east, look at PA. Those corn fed bruins get dang big, some over 500 lbs, and on rare occasions, approaching 600 lbs. Personally, I do not represent anyone in PA but have Outfitters in Idaho (excellent for color phase Black Bear)as with New Mexico and Arizona. If I can answer any questions just let me know.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're getting mighty big these days in NE Maine since many farmers are turning from potatoes to broccoli (same for the moose which, if left unchecked, can eat 7 acres per year per moose).

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
Keith, pm send.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
Record black bear in PA is 900 lbs ! Eeker
Average is probably 350. I recently met 4 brothers of this years model but they were only 6 lbs each .Wait a few years for them !
I've never seen anything but black in southeast NY or north east PA. In other places they come in brown, reddish brown [cinnamin bear], and rarely white and blue and blaond.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA bears are indeed big, but way too low percentage hunt to travel for. No bait, no dogs and only two or three days with about a half million other hunters in the woods. After 46 years I am up to 1 5/6th bears and I know the ground and have my own place to hunt.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftcoast: vegard_dino, I highly recommend Arizona and the White Mountain Apache Reservation. It is like hunting on a 1.6 million acre private ranch. Last may i hunted there with Jared Nichols www.nicholsguidingservice.com Tags are sold over the counter with a 2 bear limit and mountain lions are considered an 'animal of opportunity'. I shot a 420 lb black and a 507 lb chocolate bear.

Hi,
are the tags in AZ for spring and fall hunts over the counter?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to SE Alaska when I wanted my first bear back in May of 07. If you want a DIY hunt with a good chance of success that is where I would go. I know you mentioned the lower 48 but SE Alaska isn't really anymore expensive then hiring out with a guide/outfitter in the lower 48. We didn't get giant bears but we got good bears our first two days of hunting.

My bear!

My buddies bear!

I'm going again this year and all said and done after splitting the costs I should be just under $2K for the hunt (gas, food, plane ticket, tags, and lodging). Of course I have a friend who has a boat, truck, and cabin up there that we use that saves quite a bit of money there.

Forest service cabins are the way to go if you can find cheap enough boat rental. We are using some this year and they are $30 +/- a night. Then there are plenty of lodges up there that you can stay a week for less than $2K per person, that will include meals, lodging, fishing equipment, and boat rental. So I figure you can do a hunt for around $4K before any taxidermy.

I would imagine you would sink at least that much into any decent guided hunt here in the lower 48.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi,
are the tags in AZ for spring and fall hunts over the counter?

Tags are over-the-counter but are limited in quantity currently to 200. This link will get you more info.
http://www.wmatoutdoors.org/guided%20bear.shtml

Note that you must hunt with a guide registered and licensed through the White Mountain Tribe. I hunted with Steve Smith (killed a 6'9" square chocolate bear and passed 6 more bears looking for a new WR Wink) and would recommend him to everyone. He is an outstanding hunter and a true pleasure to share a camp with.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

Thanks for the tip about SE Alaska.
I had in mind that Alaska was LOT more expensive than the lower 48´s.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I have only hunted bear one time, but had a great trip.

Hunted out of Elk City Idaho in a 2 bear area.

Here is the link to the folks I hunted with, they were recommended to me by another AR member.

www.elk-city-idaho-adventures.com/

If I remember correctly from our conversations in camp, "Stitch" is of Swiss ancestory.

I and seveal of my friends have hunted with Elk City Adventures several times.

They run a great camp and there are a lot of bears in their area.
Stitch is a great guy and his wife Joannie is a sweatheart, and a great cook. I have almost "kidnapped" her on several occasions to bring her back to Texas... Big Grin

They are great people. They are Honest folks. tu2

There are black and brown color phase bears in their area.

There is good trout fishing, and in the fall good grouse hunting there as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook Minnesota, lots of bears. They will run smaller than Canada and Alaska, but a budget hunt is entirely possible. I will be hunting this fall with my recurve in NW Mn.

Posts: 1 | Location: north dakota | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link and great tip all.

Oh, it is possible to get a budget bear hunt. Good.
MN looks interesting to. For me the bear do not have to be so large, more after a great hunt/stalk.

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vegard_dino:
Thanks for the link and great tip all.

Oh, it is possible to get a budget bear hunt. Good.
MN looks interesting to. For me the bear do not have to be so large, more after a great hunt/stalk.

Your only chance to stalk a black bear in MN is if there a good acorn crop; oaks are rare in northern MN but they do grow along creeks. If the crop is good you can find bears in the trees stripping the acorns. However, I wouldn't bet on it.

I have shot five black bears in northern MN; all but one was a DIY bait hunt. I can think of no more inexpensive way to hunt BB than this option. Plenty of public land, and tons of bears.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear Guy, classy rifle you used also.

I too live in the ever brown part of the ever green state. Where are you located?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I know this thread is about lower 48 states. My only experience of bear hunting was in British Columbia and it was memorable hunt for 6 days in Sept 2007. I got a beautiful colored bear in the last 10 minutes of light on day 6. The photo is poor because it was dark by the time we could set up for the snaps. I shot the bear at 307 yards in an open logging cut over.

The rug

the largest black bears are said to be from Vancouver Island and average over 6 feet and 8 foot monsters are taken each year. They are mostly black and other colour variations are rare.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a North Carolina outfitter: www.huntwildwing.com

He's in eastern NC, which produces some giant bears. I hunted waterfowl with Culley, but would highly recommend him for bears, as well. He has lots of land and has a high success rate.