Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Bears With AR Members
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
I just got back from a great New Mexico black bear hunt in the Lincoln National Forest. 3 of the 4 of us are AR members, myself, geedubya, and amigo.

All 4 of us got great color phase bears. We were hunting out of a spike camp with Joe Troyer of Little Joes Big Game Hunting: http://liljoesbiggamehunts.com/

Joe specializes in bear and lion hunts with dogs. I had done a spot and stalk bear hunt in BC and a stand hunt in Alberta, so I really wanted to do a hunt with dogs. It is amazing to watch these hounds work. It is a physically demanding hunt, but worth every minute!

Camp

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Our group L to R: Bobby, geedubya, me, Amigo.

Some of the areas we hunted.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Geedubya working his culinary magic at the grill.

A few celebratory cigars were shared too.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
As it turned out, both geedubya and I took our 7mm-08's and Amigo and Bobby both had new 45-70 Guide Guns that had not been bloodied yet.

My bear turned out to be a unique color combination, chocolate with a true blond back, not unlike a grizzly.

This is geedubya's bear. He has a lot of his photos that he will post along with a great story.

This is Joe with a few of the dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a real fun hunt!!!!!!Nice lookin bears .Wish we had color phase bears up here.Damn I am jealous!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Bobby's bear.

Amigo's bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Thanks for Sharing.
Great Bears.
Ill be hunting the Jicaria reservation in Northern NM in May with dogs.. Cant wait.
Congrats.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, guys!
Looks like a ton of fun there.

How was the forest? Looks green in th pics.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Great job, guys! clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt. Congratulations on a great bear, love the coloration.

Posts: 1429 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bob! Nice looking bear.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love that style and method of hunting/camping. Last time I did it was 06. I miss it.

Good looking Bear.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks very sucessful and like you all had a good time. Congratulations! Nice bears

Olbiker
If you want color phase bears, come to Southern Colorado. They are the norm and black bears are hard to find.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting pictures of the area. It's an area I have never been and this post helps push it higher on the to do list.

Also it's good to see hound hunting is still holding on. With the increase in people all over the west, it will be the first type to disappear. I've seen it happening even here in Idaho. Anybody who wants to experience this style of hunting should get on it.

Well done.

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Loosk like a great hunt guys and congrats on some nice bears, Chasing those dogs in mountains in New Mexico is fun and tiresome as well.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report Bob. Wow!!!!!

As many of you know, we have very little public land here in Texas. I usually have either one or two trespass leases each year somewhere in the Texas hill country. Consequently most of the hunting I do is on those leases. I can take quail, turkey, dove, varmints, deer, exotics and hogs.
This is the first out of state hunt I’ve done since my dad passed in ’09, and my first “Posse” hunt in a couple years. However, when Bob put this up on the board, I just couldn’t resist.
Never really wanted to hunt bear before, but hunting them with hounds sounded like a ball. It was. This was a story book hunt.

Bobby and I headed up on Tuesday the 14th. We decided that we would stay the night in Roswell, New Mexico as Bobby had never had the opportunity to do a combination Alien/Bear hunt. Here’s the pix of Bobby’s biggest “little green man” we took that night.

Wednesday morning we headed to Ruidoso to have lunch and then drove up to Capitan to meet Bob and Amigo at the Smokey Bear Restaurant. I kinda figured we would be hunting quite a bit on this trip, so I decided to hit the feed bag while I could.

OK, now I was ready to hunt.

I was guided by two great young men whose full time job is that of government trappers, Jeremy and Bubba. I’ve an old friend from Ireland who says that “ A lie well told is as good as the truth any ay.” Being as these guys were young and impressionable, and had not heard my lies or jokes before, and taken with my love of hunting, reloading, shooting, trapping and theirs, it could not have been a better match. They were totally corrupted by time I left. Good thing we were killed out after three days. I’d soon have to start recycling my BS. Here a couple photos with them, their friend Ronnie and Bobby.

This was Thursday morning the first day of the season and the first day of the hunt. The dogs had”rigged” a particularly bad bear. Seems this old bear was smart and confident enough to never go up a tree. He would run the dogs for a couple miles, then back up against a tree or some rocks and swat the dogs until he got rested. Then he’d take of and run for a couple more miles. We followed that bear over four hours, up and down the mountain twice, in an out of the forest and onto private land then back again. He about wore us and the dogs out. The guides say he has done this for a couple years. They are talking of getting a half dozen guides, horses and 20 or so dogs and “settling his hash” later on this year. During this particular hunt we were taking a break. It was still early in the morning. They had told us of a spot that had a great view. They were not kidding. It was worth the price of the trip.

One more photo as we were heading down while chasing that bear. The view was so grand I had the guides stop so I could get a photo. Pix do not do it justice.

This is one of the things that make a trip like this so special to me.

Our typical routine was to be in the truck heading out by 5 AM. Get back from the morning hunt about 2 PM, then head back out around 4 PM and get back in about 10 PM. We did that on Thursday and Friday. Here are a few pix of the scenery and terrain where we hunted.

My buddy, Bobby and the outfitter, Joe had an amazing adventure Friday night on their hunt. I think they got back about 1 AM. Bobby was so “jacked” that we talked about his hunt until 2:30 AM in the tent. I don’t think that I’d be betraying a confidence, but IMHO, my friend Bobby became a “hunter” Friday night on his hunt with Joe.
I don’t know how it is with you guys, but hunting can be a cathartic, and even a religious experience. Listening to his story and descriptions when he came in the tent, I think that a “hunter” was born that night. Between the physical difficulty of the hike in, the taking and retrieval of the bear, the job of skinning, taken with the stark beauty of the mountain, the dark, the silence, the wind, and the sheer pleasure of the moment, a hunter was both born and christened.

Anyway, Bobcat, Amigo, and Bobby had all killed by Saturday morning. I think Bobby was worried that I wouldn’t kill. I told him as I am want to do, Bobby, don’t worry,when it comes to killin’, I’m very lucky. I explained that I’ve killed so much stuff that if I never kill another animal, I’m happy. I’m in it for the experience. I also told him that if it was my karma to do nothing but be the person that introduced him to big game hunting that would be reward enough.

On the Saturday morning hunt, I once again hunted with Jeremy and Bubba. The dogs “Rigged” about 10AM.

And despite what some folks may believe, wild bears do …………

… in the woods!

They also leave tracks

The dogs ran this particular bear about 3 miles before he “treed” Once the guides decided the bear was in the tree we had to drive for almost an hour to get close enough to a spot where we could walk in. Close was about ½ mile as the crow flies. It took about another 45 minutes to walk in.

Three “hollers” (and several stops to catch my breath), I got my first glimpse of the bear.

I followed the guides instructions and when they gave me the go ahead I took the shot. I was using a 7-08 with 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds. They certainly did the trick.

Next the process of skinning and packing out started. I’ll spare ya’ll the pix of skinning, but here is Bubba packing out 60 plus pounds of head and hide straight up and down.

If he hadn’t have packed it out, that hide would still be there. I retain my “certified wuss” badge.

My bear back at camp.

As I said earlier, this was a story book hunt. Two days traveling and acclimating myself to the altitude and spending time with a good friend. Three days hunting before I took my bear.
If I had taken a bear the first day, I would have missed out on all the beautiful scenery the camaraderie of being with some good men, the enjoyment of their company and getting to know them. The waiting, the difficulty of walking in to shoot and packing my bear
out made it all the more special.

As a coda, if your idea of a hunt is to go to a “designer” lodge where you’ve got a soft mattress, conditioned air, waitstaff that cook and serve meals, fetch your scotch and wipe your tush, this ain’t the hunt for you. If on the other hand you want a true “free range” hunt at an affordable price, with folks whose passion is bear and lion hunting, who have the integrity and desire to put you on the best animal possible, then bust their humps to do so, then I would highly recommend Little Joe’s Big Game Adventures along with Joe, Kyle, Jeremy and Bubba and their pooches.
I’ll remember this hunt as long as I have days. Many thanks guys. I’m hoping to come back with my oldest son next year.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great post, great photos. Now that was a hunting post! Thanks guys! Makes me want to go. tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! The fellas' from Tejas showed up
and STACKED some Bears!!
Sounds like a Great time.
Enjoyed the story and the photo's

Bob in TX & Geedubya
Pleasing to all senses
Well told, Thanks

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice bears guys, that was an enjoyable read.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12567 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice bears, congratulations!

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Looks very sucessful and like you all had a good time. Congratulations! Nice bears

Olbiker
If you want color phase bears, come to Southern Colorado. They are the norm and black bears are hard to find.

Thanks I will file that in my memory bank.One of these yesrs i will do a hunt with my Boy and getting a chance at a Color phase bear would be "way cool".

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Great hunt report Bob. Wow!!!!!

As many of you know, we have very little public land here in Texas. I usually have either one or two trespass leases each year somewhere in the Texas hill country. Consequently most of the hunting I do is on those leases. I can take quail, turkey, dove, varmints, deer, exotics and hogs.
This is the first out of state hunt I’ve done since my dad passed in ’09, and my first “Posse” hunt in a couple years. However, when Bob put this up on the board, I just couldn’t resist.
Never really wanted to hunt bear before, but hunting them with hounds sounded like a ball. It was. This was a story book hunt.

Bobby and I headed up on Tuesday the 14th. We decided that we would stay the night in Roswell, New Mexico as Bobby had never had the opportunity to do a combination Alien/Bear hunt. Here’s the pix of Bobby’s biggest “little green man” we took that night.

Wednesday morning we headed to Ruidoso to have lunch and then drove up to Capitan to meet Bob and Amigo at the Smokey Bear Restaurant. I kinda figured we would be hunting quite a bit on this trip, so I decided to hit the feed bag while I could.

OK, now I was ready to hunt.

I was guided by two great young men whose full time job is that of government trappers, Jeremy and Bubba. I’ve an old friend from Ireland who says that “ A lie well told is as good as the truth any ay.” Being as these guys were young and impressionable, and had not heard my lies or jokes before, and taken with my love of hunting, reloading, shooting, trapping and theirs, it could not have been a better match. They were totally corrupted by time I left. Good thing we were killed out after three days. I’d soon have to start recycling my BS. Here a couple photos with them, their friend Ronnie and Bobby.

This was Thursday morning the first day of the season and the first day of the hunt. The dogs had”rigged” a particularly bad bear. Seems this old bear was smart and confident enough to never go up a tree. He would run the dogs for a couple miles, then back up against a tree or some rocks and swat the dogs until he got rested. Then he’d take of and run for a couple more miles. We followed that bear over four hours, up and down the mountain twice, in an out of the forest and onto private land then back again. He about wore us and the dogs out. The guides say he has done this for a couple years. They are talking of getting a half dozen guides, horses and 20 or so dogs and “settling his hash” later on this year. During this particular hunt we were taking a break. It was still early in the morning. They had told us of a spot that had a great view. They were not kidding. It was worth the price of the trip.

One more photo as we were heading down while chasing that bear. The view was so grand I had the guides stop so I could get a photo. Pix do not do it justice.

This is one of the things that make a trip like this so special to me.

Our typical routine was to be in the truck heading out by 5 AM. Get back from the morning hunt about 2 PM, then head back out around 4 PM and get back in about 10 PM. We did that on Thursday and Friday. Here are a few pix of the scenery and terrain where we hunted.

My buddy, Bobby and the outfitter, Joe had an amazing adventure Friday night on their hunt. I think they got back about 1 AM. Bobby was so “jacked” that we talked about his hunt until 2:30 AM in the tent. I don’t think that I’d be betraying a confidence, but IMHO, my friend Bobby became a “hunter” Friday night on his hunt with Joe.
I don’t know how it is with you guys, but hunting can be a cathartic, and even a religious experience. Listening to his story and descriptions when he came in the tent, I think that a “hunter” was born that night. Between the physical difficulty of the hike in, the taking and retrieval of the bear, the job of skinning, taken with the stark beauty of the mountain, the dark, the silence, the wind, and the sheer pleasure of the moment, a hunter was both born and christened.

Anyway, Bobcat, Amigo, and Bobby had all killed by Saturday morning. I think Bobby was worried that I wouldn’t kill. I told him as I am want to do, Bobby, don’t worry,when it comes to killin’, I’m very lucky. I explained that I’ve killed so much stuff that if I never kill another animal, I’m happy. I’m in it for the experience. I also told him that if it was my karma to do nothing but be the person that introduced him to big game hunting that would be reward enough.

On the Saturday morning hunt, I once again hunted with Jeremy and Bubba. The dogs “Rigged” about 10AM.

And despite what some folks may believe, wild bears do …………

… in the woods!

They also leave tracks

The dogs ran this particular bear about 3 miles before he “treed” Once the guides decided the bear was in the tree we had to drive for almost an hour to get close enough to a spot where we could walk in. Close was about ½ mile as the crow flies. It took about another 45 minutes to walk in.

Three “hollers” (and several stops to catch my breath), I got my first glimpse of the bear.

I followed the guides instructions and when they gave me the go ahead I took the shot. I was using a 7-08 with 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds. They certainly did the trick.

Next the process of skinning and packing out started. I’ll spare ya’ll the pix of skinning, but here is Bubba packing out 60 plus pounds of head and hide straight up and down.

If he hadn’t have packed it out, that hide would still be there. I retain my “certified wuss” badge.

My bear back at camp.

As I said earlier, this was a story book hunt. Two days traveling and acclimating myself to the altitude and spending time with a good friend. Three days hunting before I took my bear.
If I had taken a bear the first day, I would have missed out on all the beautiful scenery the camaraderie of being with some good men, the enjoyment of their company and getting to know them. The waiting, the difficulty of walking in to shoot and packing my bear
out made it all the more special.

As a coda, if your idea of a hunt is to go to a “designer” lodge where you’ve got a soft mattress, conditioned air, waitstaff that cook and serve meals, fetch your scotch and wipe your tush, this ain’t the hunt for you. If on the other hand you want a true “free range” hunt at an affordable price, with folks whose passion is bear and lion hunting, who have the integrity and desire to put you on the best animal possible, then bust their humps to do so, then I would highly recommend Little Joe’s Big Game Adventures along with Joe, Kyle, Jeremy and Bubba and their pooches.
I’ll remember this hunt as long as I have days. Many thanks guys. I’m hoping to come back with my oldest son next year.

Best

GWB

GWB,ya spin a good yarn and take some good pics.Really enjoyed this thread!!!!!OB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt.

I find running hounds is a great way to hunt. My wife has a Wis bear tag this year.

She killed her last one with the hounds and thats what she wants to do again this year.

Posts: 19420 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great looking bears fella's, congrats! I leave for ID before long. This fires me up! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'll be in New Mexico in November elk hunting.....I sure hope I do as well as you folks have done.....and sure hope the photos are as good as yours.....

This is one very fine thread....thanks for the report!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I know elk season has yet to begin but one of those pics of "camp" sure looks like a set of elk antlers in the background! Just a tree I am certain. Love the area and got my bear not far from you in the Rez west of Ruidoso many years ago. Made book and went at 500 lbs so they have big bears in that area. Big ole elk in and around Nogal and Capitan as well. I hope to get my Mt lion in the area this year.

Thanks Bob for sharing your hunt.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I bet that was just a load of fun hunting with pals. Great report and yes, wonderful scenery!

~Ann

Posts: 19184 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grand Geedub. Just Grand.

Only thing that coulda' made that better was sitting by the fire with ya'

Congrats Sir.

Posts: 41793 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedub,
Great pictures and a nice story and bear. Congratulations!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Excellent report, pictures and all. Really nice looking bears. I want to go bear hunting again someday, but not with dogs, just a personal preference, nothing wrong with hunting them the way you guys did just not my cup of tea. beautiful country and a really great looking camp.

Many Thanks for sharing. tu2 tu2 beer beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote