THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    New to Deer hunting...Caliber question.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Deer hunting...Caliber question.
 Login/Join

posted
I have only ever hunted turkey before.

That said, in the next week or so I will be going on a white tailed deer hunt at a coworker’s father's 500+ acre farm. Needless to say I do not own a rifle over .23, which is the minimum for deer here in Virginia. A friend of mine is selling his .300 WSM which, after looking up the ballistics, looks like overkill for deer.

My question: Is a .300 WSM to much for fairly small deer (75-120lbs), and/or should I just barrow a .308 from a buddy of mine? I have shot the .308 before.

I would use my bow, but I would like to get at least one deer before the season ends. I might try my bow during the late antler-less season.

Thanks,
Matt

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you are just trying out deer hunting, borrow the 308 it will work great. If you find that you really enjoy rifle hunting then you can look at the 300WSM or other rifles. The 300 WSM is a lot of cartridge for deer but better too much than too little.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this one but here's mine!
Yes the 300 WSM is overkill on deer and if the .308 is available to you then borrow that shoot it a bit and hunt with it. In the .308 any bullet from 150 to 180 grains will suffice and you don't need expensive premium bullets for deer no matter what you hear.
The .300 may be fine for deer and will surely kill them dead so even though it will tear them up a bit unless you just poke them low in the ribs but if you really want one then get it but I think use your buddies .308 and see if you even like deer hunting then get a rifle.
Please be sure to shoot whichever rifle you pick as much as you can before the season.
Good luck............

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this is short notice, I woulod borrow the 308.
The 308 is a great cartridge for deer, it is one of my favorites [works pretty good on kudu, zebra, wildebeest, heyena, black bear, wild hogs,etc.

Then after the season you can study up and buy your own "deer" rifle.

What brand is your friends 300 WSM?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .308 is a Winchester Model 70 (not sure of the actual model name) with a composite stock. It is about 2 years old, has a 24" barrel, and a 6x Leupold fixed power scope. I have shot this gun a few times (most recently was about 10 days ago) and am pretty confident with it.

Thanks all for confirming my original thought that the .300 WSM was a little much for deer.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as overkill as long as you can shoot the rifle well. I've shot whitetails with everything up to a .375 H&H and it worked fine. A 300 WSM is perfectly fine for a deer rifle. That being said, if it's your first time hunting, I'd probably just borrow the .308 and try it out.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'ld rather turn a deer inside out w/ a 30mag than poke a little hole in it w/ a varmint caliber (please no flames). Like boltman said, no such thing as overkill, dead deer is a dead deer. Definetly borrow a rifle, if you enjoy the hunt, buy what ever YOU want. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the end, they're both .30 calibers. There is no overkill when comparing these two calibers. If you like the .300 WSM, then buy it. It's ALL good and therefore use what you like.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chime in for the 308 also......the WSM is overkill...but we all hear the arguments from magnum crowd about a deer can't be dead enough...etc etc etc...

If you were looking to eventually looking to purchase a firearm yourself, I'd look at the 260 Rem, then the 7/08, then the 243 Winchester... all are more than competent deer calibers especially for the size you mentioned..which are no bigger than what we have offered here in Oregon..

I myself carry a 260 Rem, in a Ruger 77 Mk 2 myself, with a 3 x 9 Leupold on it...however, I do own other calibers also... this pass season I used a Model 70 Featherweight in 7mm Mauser..

Good luck and cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
First time out on short notice, I would go with the 308.... Certainly if you find that hunting larger game is for you, buy whatever you might want...

I don't know though cuz I've heard over the past several years that nothing shy of a 50 BMG will get the job done on the smaller critters.... Roll Eyes Big Grin

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Borrow the .308. If you want to purchase a rifle and your primary use will be at the range and deer hunting, you should consider the following: 1) What's the hunting terrain? (short or long shots). 2) Will you be going to the range lot? 3) Do you have a preference for a prticular action (lever, semi, bolt)?

In the end, make sure you purchase a rifle/caliber that you like and you know you will enjoy to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harsh Strider,

Welcome to the forum. The big difference between the 308 and 300 WSM is way more recoil with one and greater range. There no such thing as overkill but the 308 is quite powerful in it's own right for deer sized game at sane ranges.

Don't buy the 300 WSM. The ammo is going to cost too much and it's going to kick way too hard.

Borrow the 308 for now and good luck.

There are many good cartridges for deer and the 308 is maybe the best.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the properly equip'ed deer hunter has the following: 243win, 6mmrem, 250-3000,257roberts,25-06,6.5x55,260rem,270win, 7x57, 7mm-08, 30-30, 308win, 30-06, 35rem, 358win,,,,,,Some people even feel the need for magnums and or wildcats and I'd strongly encourage a few of those around also. I doubt you'll be able to get by without a good reloading set up and several thousand different weights of bullet's in each calibre and several different brands of primers. Of course a simpler method, however primitive it may be, is factory ammo but that would rule out the wildcat's you'll surely need.

This surely is not to much to ask to be able to shoot a 100# deer! hammering

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HS

You have plenty of good advice - I'd borrow the .308 and by all means practice with it to become comfortable, and learn a little about deer anatomy and where best to place the bullet for maximum effect and minimum meat loss.

The 300 WSM is not too much caliber for deer if it is your Elk, Deer, Moose, sheep, hog, one rifle does it all caliber. I'd read and try several different rifles and calibers before you buy depending on what you want to do. If you think an arsenal is in your future (nothing wrong with that) than by all means get a small deer rifle a Western Long Shot deer rifle, an antelope gun etc.

But if you think one rifle is what you are most likely to use for any future game then get the flatest shooting most powerful caliber in the .270 - .338 range that fits you perfectly and that you can shoot well. You might vary bullet selection but you probably wouldn't even need to do that. Don't be surprised if you choose something as boring as a 30-06 after you do all that homework.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
To my way of thinking a 70 in .308 is darn near perfect. I shoot 165 grain bullets in mine and does an outstanding job. BOOM

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Borrow the 308. Then, if you need a deer rifle buy a 308 or, in my opinion the best deer cartridge out there, a 7-08. If you ever need a bigger gun for elk &etc, it'll be time to buy another. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the properly equip'ed deer hunter has the following: 243win, 6mmrem, 250-3000,257roberts,25-06,6.5x55,260rem,270win, 7x57, 7mm-08, 30-30, 308win, 30-06, 35rem, 358win,,,,,,Some people even feel the need for magnums and or wildcats and I'd strongly encourage a few of those around also. I doubt you'll be able to get by without a good reloading set up and several thousand different weights of bullet's in each calibre and several different brands of primers. Of course a simpler method, however primitive it may be, is factory ammo but that would rule out the wildcat's you'll surely need.

I agree completely, but you should also consider the .280 Rem., the .284 Win. & the Ackley Improved versions of most of the previously mentioned calibers. You will need some with stainless steel & some with coated steel, various length barrels, synthetic stocks, laminated stocks & exibition grade wood stocks. Also never use the same rifle for different weight bullets. There is no such thing as overkill, but shooting a whitetail (or any game animal) with anything less than the perfect firearm for the perfect situation is almost as ludicrous as haveing empty space in your gunsafe,

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I agree with Argali on the .280. Very accurate, little recoil, very flat shooting, and if you reload...a wide selection of bullets!

My .280 is heading out in the field tomorrow after whitetail beer

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I almost bought a 300 WSM once but ended up just rebarreling my 30-06, no regrets whatsoever. To put things in perspective though the WSM really isnt much more than an 06. But it certianly isnt nessecary for such small deer. The last few deer Ive shot have been with a 257 Roberts improved on muleys and it was plenty gun, one shot one drop on the spot each time. Nothing wrong with an 06 class rifle for deer though.

Ask yourself what YOU really want and go for it..

Ill throw in another plug for the 280 Remington too, I absoloutly LOVE that caliber.. If I had to reduce my rifles down to one it would probably be a 280.

Posts: 10157 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harsh Strider, Welcome to the AR forums. Some people here are like the guy you ask what time it is and he tells you how to build a watch, but back to your question at hand. I would definitely recommend the 308. Deer are not hard to kill and for a new shooter the blast and recoil of a magnum rifle won't help you shoot better. The 308 will work great if you do your part and place your shot well.

I also agree to study deer anatomy; I prefer a low behind-the shoulder heart/lung shot for routine deer hunting. Hold right behind the shoulder about 1/4 to 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest cavity. That should give you a good heart/lung shot. The deer will probably run a short distance but will be dead when you get to him. Don't forget to watch the deer after the shot so you will know where he went.

If you find you like deer hunting and want to but a rifle then you can do some research and get a rifle of your own, or buy the 308 from your friend.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Harsh Strider. I would go with Boltmans advice. For this hunt, shoot the borrowed rifle and see if you even like deer hunting. I have killed whitetails with calibers from 22 Hornet thru 375 H&H and a 458 Win.Mag.

After your hunt, if you like the experience, look around and find a caliber and style or model of rifle that you like and get it.

Happy New Year and Good Luck on the hunt.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
YES! Get the .300 WSM! There is no better "do it all" rifle on the planet. It doesn't have rediculous recoil and it will get the job done well on anything in North America. I am 18 now and I have been shooting a .300 WSM almost exclusively since I was 13 and it was never too much for me and I was a relatively small kid. I probably wasn't much over 100 lbs. when I started shooting it. Get some Federal Premium 180 gr. TSX or MRX and you have the perfect cartridge for any game in North America and also most African game. I really don't understand the mentality behind not shooting premium bullets because they cost $10 more per box. If you're willing to risk a shot on an animal to save $0.50 on the bullet, then you should not be hunting in my opinion. If you want to shoot a lot, just sight in with the premium bullets and shoot them at game only. Then, practice shooting groups and stuff with some cheaper bullets.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 7mm08 on whitetails about the same size you mentioned. I have had no problems at all. I have buddies that use everything from a 243 to a 44 mag rifle & they are happy with the performance. I think that you should find a rifle that you are comfortable with & use it.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .308 M70 with a 6X Leupy? Now thats a no-brainer, if its accurate you cant lose.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decide to hunt with, please let us know how the hunt went for you!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harsh Strider:
The .308 is a Winchester Model 70 (not sure of the actual model name) with a composite stock. It is about 2 years old, has a 24" barrel, and a 6x Leupold fixed power scope. I have shot this gun a few times (most recently was about 10 days ago) and am pretty confident with it.

Thanks all for confirming my original thought that the .300 WSM was a little much for deer.

Matt

Matt, first... Welcome! beer

Now if you look at this again( too late?) you'll see you've described a solid rifle combo in a reputable caliber. You'll also see that I highlighted the most important factor.

If you are comfortable and have confidence in what your using, the actual caliber is of far less importance.

I too have several guns to choose from but most often you'll find me toting a .257" for deer in a Roberts or .25-06. Like you said, I have confidence in them. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harsh Strider:

Given the choice you mention, I would go with the 308 Win. Having said that, I will add my two cents that there is a real drawback to using a 300 Win.Mag on white tails, a soft skinned animal. (Yes, I know how white tails with the adrenalin pumping can run off after a hit) This is not to get into an argument about the slower moving bullet vs the faster moving bullet. I'll just repeat what an Ontario guide told me years ago. He claimed that black bear (another soft skinned animal)seemed to drop more readily from cartridges like the 303, 30-30,35 Rem and similar than they did to the 300 Win. Mag and the like (carried by the tourist hunters). Keep in mind that this is not DG and that the idea of the bullet is to do tissue and muscle damage -and not zip through so fast that the deer hardly realizes he has been hit. Sure, he will drop eventually - but unless you're as good as Daniel Boone at tracking he may do so miles away before you find him. (The 308 seems like a very good cartridge for your purposes. The 30-06 is used by a lot of guys even today - and it's about 10% more "powerful". Your instincts are right about the size of the deer you'll go for.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Borrow the .308 and if Deer hunting is to your liking, get a .280. I've used it for most all of our game here in the US, exotics and large African Plains game. The .280 has low recoil, great accuracy (depending upon you and the rifle/bullet) and enough energy to take large game. Ammo is not on every store shelf but there are plenty of online sources and most of the super stores will have it. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
Having killed deer with everything from bow, muzzleloader, 6mm, and 300 weatherby, shot placement is ALL that matters. Not to be argumentive...but it doesn't take Daniel Boone to track a deer shot with a 300 magnum. Nor do they always drop on the spot. Most people shoot a lighter kicking rifle better and thus the only advantage to the 308. Everyone has a pet gun that they feel is better than what everyone else has.
It's not rocket science, make a good shot and you'll get your deer. It may drop on the spot or it may run off a little ways but you'll get your deer. thumb

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote