Tools

NRA Whittington center?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Any news, Outdoor Writer?

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am a life member of the NRA Whittington Center, so I may have some bias. It is a truly beautiful facility and a real treasure for the NRA and the state of New Mexico.

In 1999, before I was a member, I applied for a cow tag with my daughter, Jessica. We also put in for their trophy guided elk hunt contest. Jessica, then 16, won it! We stayed at the facility in their great accomodations, and Jess was lucky enough to be guided by Mike Ballew, the center director. Opening morning she took a beautiful bull.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just hunted the Chase Ranch with James Coppage. It is south 30 miles between Ted Turners place and Philmont. We sighted in at Whittington and the guy there gave us the low down on the relationship to the NRA. The elk at the Chase Ranch were plentiful but the bulls were smallish or had broken horns. The weather was bad and the elk loved it. When the rain stopped the elk evaporated with the sun.
My son got a nice 6x6 but only 5 of the 8 hunters got shots in 5 days. The group has hunted ther in the pst and said this was abnormal for the ranch.
We saw hundreds of cows and many big bulls at a distance but they were very wary and went into dense timber making shooting a chancy matter.

They bugled for the first 2 days and then stopped. All in all an expensive cardiovascular workout but some great scenary and a trip my son will never forget. $5500 for the 5 days.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
billinthewild...
A beautiful animal, my friend!!

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Well, OW, what's the word ??

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingnut:
Well, OW, what's the word ??

Yeah, I'd still like to know if I'm also on the "No Hunt" list for the Fisher County, Texas land and the "off balance sheet" 1300 acres in NM. Wonder if the Treasurer got a badly needed Cost of Living adjustment this year?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
I will assume, at least for now, that Outdoor Writer is busy hunting, not ignoring this thread AND the private message that I sent him.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I just got back from Tanzania, Tony emailed me and asked me to drop by. I have no idea if there is still a February season, but in February 2002, just before I went overseas, Chub Eastman and I hunted elk on Whittington Center. We trotted down to the game department and purchased our licenses, and that late hunt was among many short seasons from September onward for private land tags.
As to the Whittington Center: The drawing is tough, but the Center also operates a guided operation as part of its fundraising efforts. For the record, NRA Whittington Center is a separate corporation and directed by a separate board from the NRA, and has not been funded by the NRA for many years; it is self-sustaining on other fundraising activities, one of which is outfitted hunts.
Not sure where this one turned nasty (but it sure seems to happen a lot on your forum), but I have known Mike Ballew since 1978 and consider him one of my best friends. He can be gruff and is often very direct . . . but in the many years he had managed Whittington Center he has done a magnificent job of running the place, expanding the opportunities it provides, and putting it on the map.
Regards, Craig Boddington

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hey Craig,

Nice to see you around! Threads just seem to turn nasty here...some must've been mistreated and abused children. Hang around when you can and don't let the turkeys get you down. Cool Some posters aren't happy unless they attack everything and others have no manners.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
...Not sure where this one turned nasty (but it sure seems to happen a lot on your forum), ...
Hey General, Welcome Aboard!

There are a lot of strongly opinionated people, who have an abundance of first-hand experience, that use this Board to express their views and exchange thoughts.

Most know not to shoot from the hip, but occasionally it does happen. When it does, the other very experienced Hunters jump right in to correct any errors or misconceptions.

A good number of loud-mouthed blow-hard braggarts have been re-deployed from our Board, over to 24hour, where they can all kiss-up to each other and go on endlessly about just how great they are.

Exchanges of opinions on our Board are not always in the most gentlemanly manner but it is easy to determine who actually walks-the-walk and who is blowing smoke.

We even reserve the Right to disagree with people we "Respect" on our Board. And those exchanges have also been known to get a bit elevated in tone. I see a Thread on this Board each day as I click in that I disagree with. Sometimes I express my opposing views and sometimes I don't. I ALWAYS DO " if " I believe a Beginner or Rookie Hunter can in any way have his SAFETY jeprodized by information that has the potential to be a bit misleading.

Tony holds his own on our Board because he speaks strickly from first-hand experience, inserts Factual input where appropriate, and has a tough enough hide that when someone does disagree with him, he doesn't tuck his tail between his legs and slink off - from our Board.

Yes, it does take a bit of "spine" to hang around our Board.
---

From a MARINE who went before you SEMPER FI!

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
So, Craig, every time someone questions the operation, does Mike automatically call them an idiot and put them on a no-hunt list???

If this is the same Mike Ballew who used to guide hog hunters on the Dye Creek Ranch back in the 80s, he sure seems to have changed.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
in February 2002, just before I went overseas, Chub Eastman and I hunted elk on Whittington Center. We trotted down to the game department and purchased our licenses, and that late hunt was among many short seasons from September onward for private land tags.
As to the Whittington Center: The drawing is tough, but the Center also operates a guided operation as part of its fundraising efforts.

Thanks for the comments. So was this a draw hunt, or a "guided operation as part of its fundraising efforts"? If the latter, how much did you and Chub have to pay?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Not being a smart-ass here. Just asking, because I want and think I deserve to know, because I was interested in booking a similar hunt.

Why did Ballew deny that the February hunt ever happened?

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Have "Outdoor Writer" and Mr. Boddington fallen off the edge of the world ?

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
OW has been around AR, but it seems he's avoiding this thread like the plague... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Keeping this near the top.......

quote:
Why did Ballew deny that the February hunt ever happened?

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
HEY, OUTDOOR WRITER !!!!!!

REMEMBER THIS ??

quote:
I'll let you know what I find out from Ballew and later when Craig gets back. -TONY

Tony Mandile

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
And just for the record, the Private Messages I sent to Outdoor Writer regarding this post are still being ignored.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
in February 2002, just before I went overseas, Chub Eastman and I hunted elk on Whittington Center. We trotted down to the game department and purchased our licenses, and that late hunt was among many short seasons from September onward for private land tags.
As to the Whittington Center: The drawing is tough, but the Center also operates a guided operation as part of its fundraising efforts.

Thanks for the comments. So was this a draw hunt, or a "guided operation as part of its fundraising efforts"? If the latter, how much did you and Chub have to pay?

Perhaps CB missed this simple inquiry. I'll move it to the top so he'll have a chance to answer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt he missed your simple inquiry...I think you probably have not figured out why he chose not to answer. Its none of your business....thats what I would guess.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Well, Hank, what would you suggest that one who wants to make a similar hunt do to find out if it is affordable, or even possible?

Can't get the requested info from Boddington, who has been there and done that.

Can't get the info from "Outdoor Writer", as long as he ignores the thread and private messages.

When the guy in charge of the operation is asked, he responds with rudeness.

If I promise to write something about the hunt, for publication in a national magazine, will I be offered a hunt that the director insists never occurred? Will I get it at the "regular" price, or will I get a steep dicount for generating publicity?

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well, more than a month has passed since OW's last post here. He's been around the forum (not logged in, however) but still chooses to ignore this thread.

Perhaps he discovered some "truths" that are contrary to his initial defense of the WC...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
You guys crack me up. jumping

Any reports of my demise were premature. I just returned home from an enjoyable few weeks of R&R in the land of the senoritas and magaritas. Even caught some nice bass at Lake El Salto. But I sure missed all the trolls on the internet.

Anyway, glad to see Craig finally stopped by and put an oar in the water. Perhaps he'll answer some of the follow-up questions to him if he feels he needs to. I doubt he will, just as I'm opting to not waste any more time with all these "somebody needs to get a life" matters.

Now, here's a suggestion: Pool all these pressing questions together and call 505-445-3615. When the gal answers, ask for Mike Ballew. He'll no doubt answer the questions with all the respect they deserve, and if he doesn't have the answer, he'll likely tell you where to go.

Then whoever makes the call(s) can report the answers here to the rest of the "need to know" folks. Good luck. thumb -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wingnut...the guy "responds with rudeness"???? Tell you what I did - I emailed Mike with a polite and courteous inquiry about his hunts and left two email addresses and a cell phone # to call me back. Guess what? He called me back and was extremely plesant to talk to. Hunts are posted on the Whittington Center's website too...along with the prices. I also corresponded to Craig and got the same generous response.

Its all in how you ask. I would suppose that any damn moron can read this thread from start to finish and see how "in your face" some folks can be and they are choosing not to reply for that reason alone. I can't blame them....like a bunch of 6-year olds on here.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
....like a bunch of 6-year olds on here.

Don't demean my Grandson Mad

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
...Any reports of my demise were premature. I just returned home from an enjoyable few weeks of R&R in the land of the senoritas and magaritas. ...
Hey Tony, Good to see you made it back.

Did you happen to see any Black Panthers down there??? Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
I emailed Mike with a polite and courteous inquiry about his hunts

That's EXACTLY what I did, Hank. When Mr. Ballew's reply was that no such February hunt had ever taken place on the Whittington Center, I asked again, referencing the articles by Boddington and Eastman. The second reply was VERY rude. Just like the comment regarding members who asked questions, in Ballew's reply to "Outdoor Writer's" initial e-mail, which is posted in this thread.

And as for O.W.'s comment --
quote:
....if he doesn't have the answer, he'll likely tell you where to go.

You mean kind of like he did for Stonecreek by calling him an idiot, by saying he couldn't afford to hunt the WC and was jealous of those who could, saying that he was profoundly ignorant, and threatening to put him on the "No Hunting List"?

Yes that was a private e-mail, and he may not have realized that you were going to post here, but it seems to continue a pattern begun with his LIES to me regarding the February hunt, and the rudeness with which he replied to my inquiries.

When I book an $8,000 elk hunt, you can be sure it will not be with any operation with which Mr. Mike Ballew is associated, unless I see a BIG turnaround in his personality.

Seeing that this has been going on for at least 5 years, I don't think I will hold my breath while I wait.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude, you're a wingnut! dancing

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Good to be back. A guy can catch only so many fish, drink only so many cervezas and ogle only so many teeny-weeny bikinis before getting bored out of his mind. Roll Eyes

No black panthers, BTW, but I did see a UFO land. Several little green dudes got out and kidnapped several of the bikini-clad lassies. Probably thought they were edible food; I did. Wink -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
...No black panthers, BTW, but I did see a UFO land. Several little green dudes got out and kidnapped several of the bikini-clad lassies. Probably thought they were edible food; I did. ...
A guy can ... drink only so many cervezas ... Wink

Sure sounds like a trip " I " would enjoy too!

one of us
posted Hide Post
HC,

I'm a big Mexican beer fan. In fact, we buy Pacifico here in AZ for home. I like it better than Corona, which is from the same brewery -- Modelo. And coincidentally, the main Pacifico brewery is in Mazatlan, MEX. where own our time share weeks.

Many of the bars and restuarants there sell them for $1.25-$1.50 a bottle and do two for one for happy hour. So you can be a real cheap drunk. beer -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony, I do love a deal and the Happy Hour prices sound pretty good.

I may have tried other Mexican brews, but the one I remember the most is "XXX", maybe spelled Does Seques. I do good enough to spell half way right in good ole Southern let alone Mexican.

I think I picked it because it had female Deer in the name. Big Grin Almost as good as my old Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Do you do any Hunting down there?
---

By the way, when you speak to the General, tell him he is welcome to stop by here anytime he feels like "discussing" issues of vast importance. Wink

Lots of folks seem to disagree with his First-Hand Experience, but I've never figured out why they do. Seems like he "writes what he sees with plenty of details", which is the kind of stuff I enjoy, even if I will never go there.

Brew and Bikinis do go together well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HC,

It's actually DOS EQUIS, which is translated as TWO XXs. It's also brewed by Modelo, which is partially owned by Anheuser-Busch. They once had a XXX beer known as Tres Equis. It had a fuller flavor than Dos Equis.

Some of the others are Modelo, Carta Blanca, Sol and Bohemia with the latter three coming from the Moctezuma brewery in Monterey, Mex. There are more, but I can't think of them all now.

Craig and I have been friends for at least 25 years and go back to when he became the editor of Petersen's Hunting. We've hunted together a couple times, once here in AZ for 'lopes, and a couple times for whitetails in Alabama. He stops by here occasionally, but it seems every time he does, the trolls take him to task for something or another. As someone else mentioned in this thread, a lot of it is jelousy, and for the most part, they have little business sense as to how outfitters/guides, magazines and writers all benefit from a mutual cooperation.

I've hunted Mexico several times for doves and waterfowl and once for Coues deer. In fact, the photo of Duwane Adams and I on the back cover of our book is with my Coues deer from there. See below. -TONY

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
OW wrote:
quote:
...the trolls take him to task for something or another.

No one took Craig to task in this thread. But someone did have specific questions about his hunt, and if it was part of a "fundraiser," then revealing the cost should be no problem.

My problem is with Ballew's attitude: As director of the Whittington Center, adamantly denying a February hunt happened, calling someone an idiot, jealous and poor and putting them on a no hunt list was extremely out of line. And it should not be tolerated. In the real world, he'd probably be out of a job.

But hey, he's "a class act," as you choose to point out.

You know, though, if he did lose his job, maybe he could team up with Isaiah Thomas... jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
OW, Dos Equis Amber is hands down the best of Mexican brews cheers As to Mr. Boddington, I absolutely envy him and his chosen profession and have no problem admitting it, especially since I've got 2 toddlers at home which basically relegates me to hunting vicariously thru writers like the General, at least for the next year or so, and I also generally like his style of writing...all professions provide some measure of perks, his just happen to be hunts that most of us would give our eyeteeth (or more) to enjoy... As to Mike Ballew, as someone else on this thread has mentioned, I think I hunted with him at Dye Creek in NorCal back in about 1981...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig,

I certainly enjoy a Dos Equis occasionally, but I'm more into the lighter brews such as Pacifico, Sol and even Corona. The one thing I do hate is drinking Mexican beer out of a can. Frowner Nothing beats squeezing a wedge of lime into the bottle with a bit of salt.

Both Craig and I hunted thru other writers at one time, too. Just as with everything else, one has to earn respect in a profession and any of the perks that come with it. And even after being in the business for more than 30 years, we both still pay for some hunts -- either fully or partially. In fact, when I went to Africa a few years back, I paid full rate for everything to the tune of about $15K without the taxidermy. And no, I never even asked for a discounted or free hunt.

Of course, the arrangements we make is no one else's business other than the people involved. I would never think to ask anyone else how much they make a week, a month or a year and would expect them to say, "It's none of your damn business." -TONY

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
OW-

I don't need an explanation from you on how "the business" works. Been there, done that years ago before moving on to bigger and better things.

No one cares what what you make (I know I don't). No one has asked. Your analogy (if it can be called that) is highly irrelevant.

The gentleman who inquired about the cost of the hunt did nothing wrong and certainly didn't pry. If it's a WC Fundraiser, it should be a matter of public record what was paid. If so, I will find out and post it here since it is such a big "secret" and gets your gander up.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
BT,

Perhaps a reading comprehension problem, or did you change your name to "Craig?" YOU received no explanation from me.

>>If so, I will find out and post it here since it is such a big "secret" and gets your gander up.<<

Hey, knock yourself out. Sure everyone will be waiting with bated breath. Roll Eyes -TONY

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Maybe you still have too much alcohol in your system. If this isn't an explanation, then what the hell is it?????

OW wrote:
quote:
Just as with everything else, one has to earn respect in a profession and any of the perks that come with it. And even after being in the business for more than 30 years, we both still pay for some hunts -- either fully or partially. In fact, when I went to Africa a few years back, I paid full rate for everything to the tune of about $15K without the taxidermy. And no, I never even asked for a discounted or free hunt.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
You said:

I don't need an explanation from you on how "the business" works.

I said in my message that WAS directed to YOU:

Perhaps a reading comprehension problem, or did you change your name to "Craig?" YOU received no explanation from me.

The fact you assumed my message ADDRESSED TO CRAIG was meant for you is YOUR problem, not mine. If I had something to say to you, I would have addressed you directly as BT, just as I normally address others directly. Just because you've "been there, done that" doesn't mean everyone else has.

Pay attention next time and you won't step on your tongue. -TONY

P.S. - BTW, it's "dander," not "gander."