Find
Notify
Tools

NRA Whittington center?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
What in the hell is wrong with the NRA giving a board member a hunt on one of it's properties anyway? I don't think an NRA executive position pays, so why not throw the guys a bone?
Like it or not, it's the perks that attract the best talent and if the NRA can use a prescribed number of hunts at the WC to retain quality board members let 'em.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
OW-

Yes, your first paragraph was addressed to someone in particular. Your 2nd graf rambled on in general terms and went nowhere -- to no one in particular. It APPEARED you wanted to try and address something from an earlier posting, in fact.

If YOU want to address something in particular to an individual, there is such a thing as the PM system. Put in on the web and it's there for all to see.

By the way, don't be concerned about my typo. But if you want, I'll get into serious language usage problems that seem to plague most of your postings.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
BT,

Don't make ASSumptions. You're starting to sound like Stonecreek.

My entire message was addressed to Craig and I did address something from his post -- his comment about the perks, which you ASSumed was an expanation to you.

And...I care less if you read my messages to others; your problem was ASSuming it was directed TO you.

And I'm not concerned about your "typo." Hell, it's up to you if you don't mind appearing ignorant. Go for it. -TONY

P.S.-- Don't want you to get further confused; this entire message -- not just the first paragraph -- is meant for you.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh...your true colors have surfaced, OW. Surprise, surprise...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You know, OW, you've called Ballew a class act. I've come to realize that you, too, are quite a clASS act. (Did I make another typo???) Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
There ya go. Now maybe you'll crawl back in your hole or get a life. -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
HC, It's actually DOS EQUIS, which is translated as TWO XXs. It's also brewed by Modelo, which is partially owned by Anheuser-Busch. They once had a XXX beer known as Tres Equis. It had a fuller flavor than Dos Equis. ...
Hey Tony, Wellllllll, goooood goooosh, I can't even spell "XX" correctly!!! rotflmo Talk about PITIFUL!

Obviously I'm not fluent in the Spanish lingo, but I really thought I knew Does meant " 2 " there. I can't even blame the Pabst Blue Ribbon cause I've not had any in a long time.

Looks like the trend in the thread is to "blame" you, the General or the NRA for stuff, so I'll jump on the bandwagon and say it was a Trifecta of all of those parties that made me spell "XX" incorrectly.

Come to think of it, I've not seen any Black Panthers lately, so I "mights-well"(might as well, for the YANKEES) blame ya'll for that too.
---

Can't get the Brew and Bikinis off my mind! cheers

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You're not so lucky, OW. As long as there are wrongs, I am going to work to make them right.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
BT,

Right. Get in touch with your congress critters and even the Pope. Tell the latter I said, "hi." Haven't seen him since he stopped over for lunch. -TONY

P.S. - Can you tell I'm really concerned? Please don't tell my mother. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
HC,

Does is female deer; DOS is two in Espanol. Now you've really got my gander up. Can't teach you southerners anything.rotflmo -TONY

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I love a good pissing contest! pissers

Does anyone else notice that just about every post on here that has a comment about someone else's spelling has a spelling error in it also?

jumping

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, folks, back to the basics.

I started all of this by expressing my opinion (accurate or not) that the Whittington Center was operated in a manner that disproportionately benefits certain people.

That expression of opinion earned me a stearn rebuke, the label of idiot, errant assumptions about my income and character, and a place on the Executive Director's "no hunting" list. Certainly if there is such a thing as a "no hunting" list, then there must likewise be a "hunting" list, one would think, which tends to validate my original assertion.

I brought to light some information from public records that revealed that the Whittington Treasurer is paid a salary of some one-half million dollars, the E.D. (who placed me on the "no hunting" list) is paid some $120,000 or so, and that there are a number of land assets belonging to the Whittington Center that are not publicly recognized as part of that holding.

The E.D. declared that there is no such thing as a February elk season, yet Mr. Boddington clearly states that he hunted there in February. He further says that there are two kinds of hunts: Draw and paid fundraising hunts. Since the Whittington Center is a non-profit, tax-exempt entity, it is reasonble (and everyone's business) as to which of those two types of hunts Mr. Boddington went on, and it is reasonable to ask, if it was not a draw hunt, how much he paid for the privilege in order to ally latent suspicions that some people are treated differently from others by the Whittington management.

It is puzzling why the E.D. chose to deny the existence of February hunts, but it is even more puzzling why anyone would take offence at the asking of the price of a hunt on the facility when its business is supposed to be open to public inspection. Given the circumstances and the failure of Whittington management to be forthcoming, is it any wonder that many people might get the impression that the Whittington Center treats some people differently from others based on the positions that people of "privilege" might hold?

Please, OW, help dispell rather than feed these dark suspicions!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
So how is the elk hunting at the Whittington Center?

This thread reminds me of the old hockey joke:

"I went to a boxing match last night and a hockey game broke out"

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What in the hell is wrong with the NRA giving a board member a hunt on one of it's properties anyway? I don't think an NRA executive position pays, so why not throw the guys a bone?

Nothing, as long as it is disclosed to the membership of the organization. Something smells rotten here. Since we have so many "connected" members here what the hell's wrong with telling the truth about how Whittington Center operates their hunts? Inquiring minds (and dues paying members) want to know.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
HC,

Does is female deer; DOS is two in Espanol. Now you've really got my gander up. Can't teach you southerners anything.rotflmo -TONY
Specialllly speilliiin or reeadiin!!! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
And we are not "southerners"

, we are "Southerners" !!

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

From an earlier message here:

Now, here's a suggestion: Pool all these pressing questions together and call 505-445-3615. When the gal answers, ask for Mike Ballew. He'll no doubt answer the questions with all the respect they deserve, and if he doesn't have the answer, he'll likely tell you where to go.

Then whoever makes the call(s) can report the answers here to the rest of the "need to know" folks. Good luck. -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, OW, you're the guy who took it upon yourself to explain to all of us doubters just how wrong our suspicions about the Whittington Center are (and assault our characters for the opinions we may have formed -- perhaps mistakenly). Now you're going to punt? And Boddington's going to punt? You realize that your non-responsiveness simply reinforces the assumption that the Whittington center plays an insiders game, don't you? You've made it incumbent upon yourself to bring us facts that indicate we are mistaken, or otherwise admit that there is some validity to our negative assumptions.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got "facts" in regards to the hunting. You didn't like them either. So any other "facts" are YOUR problem to feret out. I could care less at this point what you believe or don't believe. It wasn't me that spouted off with the erroneous assumptions, remember?

And I certainly don't give a damn about the NRA treasurer or any of the land holdings.

The WC # is 505-445-3615. -TONY

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
OW wrote:
quote:
You got "facts" in regards to the hunting.

So about the voracious denial of the February hunt that actually DID HAPPEN: does that fall into the massive cache of "facts" also?????

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby: It's clear that OW now wants to extricate himself from defending the Whittington management practices. It's obvious that he either has no information that would support his view of the Whittington center's management, or that he has information that he would prefer not to make public. Clearly being not a very bright or politic fellow, it is more than likely he's been told by wiser people "within the fold" to put a cork in it since his comments have only served to stir greater suspicions about Whittington. Don't you know that Ballew blew a fuse when OW foolishly reprinted his careless and inaccurate comments on a public forum!

I'll see if I can post a link to the Whittington Center's most recent IRS filing (which their half-million dollar Treasurer filed after the maximum extension of time, making it "old" news). That way people can make their own judgements about its finances and assets it holds that are not generally know by the public.

Unfortunately, the IRS filing has no information to indicate whether certain priveleged persons have special access, so until someone with that information is willing to step forward and candidly explain their policies, I'm afraid that many of us will be inclined to believe that not all of us are treated equally.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek wrote:
quote:
Don't you know that Ballew blew a fuse when OW foolishly reprinted his careless and inaccurate comments on a public forum!

There's little wonder who Ballew was calling "idiot" after that debacle...
jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ