THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What Knives do you take Big Game Hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Knives do you take Big Game Hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I carry two Dexter Russell 5" boning knives in the same sheath with my Gerber bone saw.

They're razor sharp and hold an edge for a long time. Most of my deer need to be quartered to pack em' out, usually out of some steep and deep canyon, and these knives do the best job.

Two of em' weigh less than most of the folding "hunting" knives I've had.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
hey Skinner!

I can't agree more with you, I use a Ramon knife when I go hunting, but in my studio all I use is the dexter russell knives, I like the wood handles the best, they do have a good razor edge & i can bring up the blade with just a few swipes on a steel.....

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, there are fews things that make a knife dull quicker than skinning a moose. That thick skin and hair dulls most knives in a heart beat. Ever skin a bear with it?

Must be one good knife.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used a first series Kershaw black horse folder for years. Really liked that knife for white tail deer. Currently use an old Buck Selector folder. I like the blaze orange handle. The Kershaw had a black handle and I lost it. I think it is more important to spend the $9.00 on a whet stone (and remember to pack it) rather than spend $200.00 for a knife for game such as elk. I bought a swedish skinning axe and hardly use my knife at all anymore.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
swedish skinning axe

390ish/ May I ask what is a Swedish Skinning AXE?

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On all three hunts I'd take the following:

-Gerber BackPaxe
-Buck Vangaurd (4" drop point)
-Eka folder, very thin blade, pointy design, ideal for the finer caping work.
-Small sharpening steel

The little axe I take more for if I'd have to spend the night out and I'd need to build a shelter (emergency situation). There is only so much you can do with a knife and this little unbelievable sharp axe is a wonderful tool.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Swedish skinning axe is made by Gransfors Bruks AB. Is about the size of a healthy tomahawk. Standard front end and a highly polished blunt rear that you use to beat the skin off the animal (from under the skin in conjunction with pulling on the hide). Works great. Don't test the blade with your finger at the store or you will embarass yourself asking for a tissue.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote