Best beer in the world
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauenj�ger:
snipped

Yes, I do like the dry and sparkling wines. I usually try to come home with a dozen bottles or so. It's always a challenge, packing them so they arrive intact.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Hoghead>
posted
Being from Seattle you know that they will all be micro brews!! here they are.
1.Pike Brewery: Kilt Lifter Scottish Ale
2.Grants: Perfect Porter
3.Thomas Kemper: Bad Goat Bock
Enjoy,
Spike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't stand Budweiser or Coors or Light beers. I will name a few of my favorites:Modelo Negro, Bohemia, Fat Tire, Labatt's Blue, Foster's, PBR, Lone Star, Lowenbrau. Actually any Canadian or Mexican beer is better than any of the large brewery US beer.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin>
posted
Good beer is enhanced by a good experience.

1. An ice-cold Windhoek held in a hand covered in fresh Kudu's blood.

2. An ice cold Tecate` with lime held in a hand covered in fresh Sonora Desert Mule Deer's Blood.

3. An ice-cold Bud Light held in a hand covered in fresh wild boar's blood.

All things equal, a cold beer with friends after a succesful hunt.

Don Martin.

<Mats>
posted
Hmm... Among my faves are swedish Vrak (Wreck) - a weissbier with some fun history; yet another Swede that's all anyone would hope for is Heaven from J�mtlands Bryggerier - they also make Hell, which is about the only lager that really tastes GOOD... Newcastle Brown has been mentioned; too much variation in taste (from 'excellent' to 'horse pee') for me. Great when it's great though.

Victoria Bitter is another that noone has to force me to drink - I guess I need a new Aussie buddy bringing me some since my buddy Steve got stuck in Stockholm... Hobgoblin, nice bottle too.

When in lack of real beer, I could survive on a mix of Heineken, Black Russian and 12 yo Highland Park with a dash of room temperature water. Drunk enough, I guess I could even drink those german beer substitutes w/o vomiting - not sure though, have never been THAT drunk... Werner's B�lkstoff is the only german beer that didn't make me wanna hurl, pretty strange considering what the name means...

-- Mats

<shall>
posted
Murphy
Guiness
Beamish
Do they make beers in other countries?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin:
Good beer is enhanced by a good experience.

1. An ice-cold Windhoek held in a hand covered in fresh Kudu's blood.

2. An ice cold Tecate` with lime held in a hand covered in fresh Sonora Desert Mule Deer's Blood.

3. An ice-cold Bud Light held in a hand covered in fresh wild boar's blood.

All things equal, a cold beer with friends after a succesful hunt.

Don Martin.

Nice format!
Mine are a little off the hunting mind set but are as follows:
1.Singa (Thailand) after an eagle on that long par 5 at Ekachai golf course just outside Bangkok.(Did see alot of Asian buff there!!!)

2.McEuans (SP) Lager (that little pub just down the way from the news agents stand in Milltimber, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)on the 10th day of the wife and my's honeymoon.(Guess what I was hunting? Nevermind!)

3. Alaskan Amber (3800 ft.level)that I snuck into the pack of my bear hunting buddy.(I never told him and to this day he really thinks I'm a saint!)
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
While stationed in Bamburg, West germany in the late 70's I fell in love with a dopplebach called Trumfedor. Please excuse the spelling but it has been over 20 years. It was dark, bitter, and strong. There was also some beer called smoke beer that actually had a smoked flavor. I wish I could remember the name but we weren't conserned about names as much a potency.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Right beer for right situation!

A cold winter evening give me a Kilkenny!
A hot summer evening give me a Pilsner Urquell!
A hot day in east africa a Tusker Export!
And my allround beer is Carlsberg Sort Guld!

<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by OTTO:
While stationed in Bamburg, West germany in the late 70's I fell in love with a dopplebach called Trumfedor. Please excuse the spelling but it has been over 20 years. It was dark, bitter, and strong. There was also some beer called smoke beer that actually had a smoked flavor. I wish I could remember the name but we weren't conserned about names as much a potency.

Otto ,
there is one called : " K�stritzer Schwarzbier " with a smoke flavour . A similar beer is " Black Baron " by Karlsberg brewery in the Saarland , that was brewed later , they introduced it only a few years ago !
Bamberg and that whole area have real treasures concerning beers - such a choice !
We once spent holidays there , only my mother , the kids and I and wondered , what to take home as souvenir for the husbands . We ended up with a trolley full of various beers in the supermarket , all local sorts , and I felt like a drunkard when paying and hurried up to explain , that I did not intend to drink all that myself !

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
1. pilsner urquell
2. castle
3.heinekien
4. mythos
5.winhoek lager
6.alpha

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
1. pilsner urquell
2. castle
3. heinekein
4. winhoek lager
5. mythos

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
1. OLYMPIA (IN THE STUBBYS)
2. PABST BLUE RIBBON
3. RANIER

<chris_m>
posted
1.)Anchor Steam
2.)Alaskan Amber
3.)Rainier Ale

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
And the CORRECT answers are:

1. Cascade Premium Ale http://www.view.com.au/cascade/
http://www.fosters.com.au/corporate/brands/beer/cascade.asp
2. XXXX
http://www.slabhappy.com/xxxx_form/
3. VB or Melbourne Bitter.

Guiness is a Stout and is the best of them, It's not a beer though....

BTW, The average Australian beer is approx 4.7 to 4.9% alchohol volume. In the Northern Territory, they sell beer in 2 litre bottles (Darwin Stubby) and they are drunk straight from the bottle. I can assure you they certainly "work".

<hkr>
posted
Lone Star should be added to the list but only if your hunting it Texas!!!

<hkr>
posted
338 Lapua

Modified Post!

1, Triple X (only in Canada)
2, LSL (only in Texas)
3,Budweiser and free (all other times)

Your smart ass brother!

<Orion>
posted
STEINLAGER!!!
weidmansheil

martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the US-Alaskan Amber.
In Canada- Rickard's Red
In Mexico- Carta Blanca
In Peru- Arequepina (sp?)
Scary true beer story-walked into a little hole in the wall place in Ohio one time (right across the river from Sinclair Kentucky) and tried to order a good brew. "We got Bud" is the answer. What's on tap? "We got Bud". Cans? "Bud". Bottles? "Bud". Oh well, after the first six it really doesn't matter, and the fish tail sandwiches were excellant. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most in country German beers. Pirminator, Weizen beer. Pilsner. Spent 3 yrs in Germany in military. Sampled lots of beer. Can't remember all the names. For local beer try J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown Lager.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.Grolsh Blond(you Gotta try this one)
2.Heineken(or Beck's)
3.Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager

When it comes to beer I always remember this: "mass produced Canadian beer isn't worth the aluminium it's sold in",it's more marketing hype and advertising than it is good taste.

[This message has been edited by rembo (edited 04-01-2002).]

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jerry Skidmore>
posted

Labatts Blue
Fosters
Millers
Sol in Mexico was good
Kootenay ? I think this is what I was
drinking in Whitehorse. It
was pretty good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CAmbridge , Mass. A place called the "Brew Moon" near Harvard Univ. It is a micro brewery with a variety of beers. Order their dark. Best beer I ever had period.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guinness ... without any doubt whatsoever.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Guiness is ok, but there are far better stouts in the world.

Alaskan Stout is awesome and so is Henry Weinhards Hazelnut stout.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Samuel Smith's pale Ale
2. Newcastle Brown
3. Kilkenny

one of the best beers that I have had was when I visited Prague in '94, just called Pevo dark, the local brew. Damn was it good, and huge steins of it for mere pennies. It was a good place to e a backpacker.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are my favorites:

Carlsberg Export (Danish)
Tuborg Export (Danish)
Kaiser (Austrian)
Grolsch (Dutch)

Not that many German beers I really enjoy - Weissen being the exception. Too many of the "international" brands (Heineken etc) are way too watery for me. I guess it is all about what you are used to drinking, but I have to admit being surprised at seeing Budweiser suggested as one of the World's best beers...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
My favorites are Bohemia and Sagba, neither of which I can buy anywhere close to here.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nothing like ressurecting a 10 year old post!

I like beer so much that I can't have a favorite.
Sometimes in the cold of winter a dark micro brew with a great pizza or an oatmeal stout just can't be beat other times in the heat of summer a Miller High Life is the best thing I could have in my hand.
Sitting down to good Mexican food with a Pacifico is the best it can be (sometimes) or if I'm digging my toes in the sand a Red Stripe is where its at.
Just depends on the situation, food, weather and environment.
I love beer.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Damn near wore out his shovel....

My fav.....anything domestic light and cold

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink dos equis, stay thristy my friends!

Actually,

Fosters-the green can
Zambezi-when I can find it (which has been a long time.)
Labatts-when I can find it
Falstaff-was
Olympia-is it still made?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IPA: Smuttynose, Stone, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada
Beer: Harpoon kolsch, Stella, Franzeskaner, Weihenstephaner
Stout: Sam Smith, Rogue, Murphy's, Guiness

A few others depending on season......including High Life icy cold.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eek...for a group of guys that spend countless thousands of dollars on the finer things in life, like rifles, hunts, wines, trophies...a lot drink some shitty beer. If you just want to get drunk without flavor, vodka is cheaper and much more effective.

Norton, right on with the Smutty and Lagu!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Cold beer is best, or the one in your hand.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1) Yuengling Black and Tan

#2) Victoria Bitter

#3) San Miquel (but only if you're on liberty in the PI at Subic Bay when the fleet pulls in and the LBMF's are plentiful!)

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somehow I left out my go-to session beer....Fuller's London Pride.....love that brew.

Milehigh, I agree.....I'm not an "any beer'll do" guy anymore.....25 years ago maybe, but I don't waste my time with crap these days. Back then it was either Bud or Schaefer for me.....and by the case.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would take a platter of steaming Steak Fajitas and an ICE COLD Dos Equis anytime!!! beer

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've really only found my taste for good beer in the past two years or so. Haven't nailed down one distinct favorite, but rather go through stages based on styles. I'm really enjoying hoppy IPA's as of late. And I much prefer microbrew to mass produced beer any day.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yuengling Lager
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Becks
Absolutely nothing made with wheat or rice!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drinkprefer (!)dos equis, stay thristy my friends!

My thoughts too! Also:
quote:
including High Life icy cold

And:
quote:
Cold beer is best, or the one in your hand.

But my all time favorite is a tribute to Hemmingway's Big Two-Hearted River, a beer from Michigan's Bell's Brewery, named, of course: Two Hearted River

Good thread...good beer! beer

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote