Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

It's a Scottish thing.
Doug Humbarger

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't let me do that stuff anymore but when I did:
1 Guiness Stout
2 Superior (Mexico)
3 Dragon Stout (Jamaica)

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
DID YOU KNOW SIERRA IS GOING TO MARKET A BEER!!!?? It will be called "MATCHKING".
Just my dumb humor hoping to get this thread over 1000 posts!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
if you are in Canada have some Molson XXX

Nothing like a 30 caliber beer....

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
OZSNIPER,

The Fosters we get in the U.S. is Australian in recipe only. It's actually brewed in Canada, Montreal or Toronto I believe.

The best beer has to be Homer Brewing Co.'s(Homer, AK) Red Knot Ale. Buy it at the brewery in a half gallon growler and it is really something special.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1.) A cold Coors in a Yellow bottle
2.) Rolling Rock
3.) Any of the millions of different microbrews made here in Oregon

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Since I'll be in Wiesbaden for three weeks, "soon," this was certainly an interesting thread.

Not a whole Hell of a lot of wine drinkers among you, apparently. I enjoy wine. Then, I also enjoy chess, too.

Still, I'd rather have a German beer over what they sell here in the States.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Robin>
posted
1. Pilsner Urquell
2. Park brau
3. Pain's EG

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

<Jagermeister>
posted
i would think that you'd have to have traveled the world on a bier drinking tour to be able to proclaim which is the "best in the world"...but, in any case, the best are not light pilsners nor lagers, but what I call, semi-darks. Not dark like Guiness eller STARK�L, but not light either. For English, Newcastle Brown Ale is tasty; for Nederlandisch commercial bier, Heineken Special Dark is a must-try. I like it much. But after I get to see more of the bier-drinking world, I'll be better prepared to judge the best amongst them!!!

<hkr>
posted
There are only two kinds of beer

1.Budweiser
2."FREE"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, a topic I don't have to listen to John S whining,
"you don't have any personal experience."
Otra. some american microbrewery, that you can buy for 2.99, right now.

The cheapest beer I can find from Holland or Germany, in america.

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better yet:
If John S whines, I can always say,
"Piss off." and be in the true nature of the thread.
;-)

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<HOG>
posted
Natural Light is the best beer on the face of the earth. It tastes good, and you can buy 18 for under $8.00. Also, it comes in a red, white and blue box. This is the ultimate chick getting beer as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
Since I'll be in Wiesbaden for three weeks, "soon," this was certainly an interesting thread.
Not a whole Hell of a lot of wine drinkers among you, apparently. I enjoy wine.

The City of Wiesbaden has its own wineyard of excellent quality. Their vinegarden ist called "Wiesbadener Neroberg", one of the smallest German Einzellagen (incidentally, Frankfurt also has its fine wineyards within city limits: Frankfurter Lohrberger Hang).

You can buy the wines
a) in the tourist info near the city hall
b) in the city hall itself.

I recommend it highly. Quality and style is on a par to really good Rheingau wines; elegant acidity and fruit, not as harsh as some of the Rheingauer (Riesling, of course - what elese).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
There are many good beers out there, I prefer

Pilsner Urquell

but here are many as good or better unknown Czech beers like Bernard or Louny

http://www.pilsner-urquell.cz
http://www.bernard.cz
http://pivo.louny.cz

[This message has been edited by Jiri (edited 03-07-2002).]

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If ever you are traveling through Iowa on I80 it is worth a stop in the Amana colonies (yep they make the appliances there). They have a micro brewery there called the Millstream brewing Co. I highly reccomend the Wheat. They call it, "the loaf of bread you drink". It is excellent. I also would give a nod to Modelo negro, and Tsing Tao Chinese beer as a light. I still prefer Jack D, or a good Bourbon though.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Peter Walker>
posted
Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager with Sleeman's Cream Ale a close second. Brewed in Guelph Ontario, Canada.

Peter

<Juneau>
posted
U.S. - "Alaskan Amber"
Mexico - "Bohemia"
Southern Africa - "Castle"

<J�rgen>
posted
By accident (well almost ) I found this very interesting topic !Will we ever find out what is the best ? Isn`t it purely academical , you know the beauty is in the eye of the beholder !
I�d say , drink whatever you like best and make sure you have lots of it ! As far as different beers go I`m pretty sure that Germany is hard to beat , Bavaria alone has over 1200 breweries with at least 5 different kinds of beer (EACH)!Let me invite you all , come over and give it a try !

<338Lapua>
posted
hkr,

You better modify your post, it should read:

1. Triple X
2. LSL
3. Budweiser
4. Free

You don't drink enough Budweiser to know the difference anyway .

Have a great day.

Signed,

Your smart ass brother

<Rogue 6>
posted
Any self respecting long range sniper what-a-be knows that the beer with a 25.4 ounce can is the only beer for a true military/police marksman.

If you don't know what I'm talking about your not a real sniper.

<Rogue 6>
posted
I figured I'd help some of you out.

target in inches x .0254 x 1000 / size of target in mils = distance to target in meters.

Now I know this is starting to make sence to you, why the sniper beer has 25.4 oz to a can. What is the sniper beer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaskan Winter Ale
Alaskan amber
Guiness and I could go on and on

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
If ever you are traveling through Iowa on I80 it is worth a stop in the Amana colonies (yep they make the appliances there). They have a micro brewery there called the Millstream brewing Co. I highly reccomend the Wheat. They call it, "the loaf of bread you drink". It is excellent.

I live in the Quad Cities (Illinois side) and drive to Des Moines each month for drill... and have, since November of 1995. I've never been to the Amana colonies. I just thought they made furniture and burned candles. If it's worth a side trip, I'll go get some of the beer sometime.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:
The City of Wiesbaden has its own wineyard of excellent quality. Their vinegarden ist called "Wiesbadener Neroberg", one of the smallest German Einzellagen (incidentally, Frankfurt also has its fine wineyards within city limits: Frankfurter Lohrberger Hang).

You can buy the wines
a) in the tourist info near the city hall
b) in the city hall itself.

I recommend it highly. Quality and style is on a par to really good Rheingau wines; elegant acidity and fruit, not as harsh as some of the Rheingauer (Riesling, of course - what elese).

Thanks for the tips! I'll print this and take it with me. I leave on the 16th and won't be home until the 6th of next month. I always look forward to visiting Germany; this will be my sixth trip in six years.

Russ

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Question why can't you get the dark (Guiness, Black Douglas, etc.) "Ice" cold where it has a bit of ice in it like the other beers. Never can to get them cold enough.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<CARR4570>
posted
I'm going to Dresden, Germany this summer to study German. I already have several friends from Dresden but they're girls and one friend from the Czech Republic also a girl. Point is I don't think women have the same taste for beer as men. Can the Germans, Austrians, and Czechs on this forum tell me the must try's so I won't waste my time. Vielen Dank

<CARR4570>
posted
"Save me jebus!" (Homer Simpson), I think some of you guys are confused between "drinkin'" beers and "sippin" beers. I'll admit I usually shy away from the latter except for special ocassions like, pay day or something. So I'll list my favorite "drinkin'" beers
1. "Beast"
2. Pabst
3. Olympia
4. Schlitz
But hey if you're buyin' a sippin' beer I'm there.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Carr, I am not sure what you mean. There are no "sippin' beers" up here. They're all drinkin' beers!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Jiri,

A friend of mine once brought a girl back from the Czech Republic after a trip. The only Czech I learned from her was (and please forgive my spelling, I just hope this is close enough that you will know what I mean)...

"Studna pivo po'praci?"

I always replied positively.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a friend of mine lived on base and would bring over "Little Kings" ale. They were small bottles that came in an 8 pack, but I loved them.
Since I can't find them anymore Rolling Rock will do.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
Question why can't you get the dark (Guiness, Black Douglas, etc.) "Ice" cold where it has a bit of ice in it like the other beers. Never can to get them cold enough.

I guess its because they are supposed to be enjoyed at room temperature so that you experience the full flavour. Chilling a stout is blasphemous in some locales.

Canuck

<Sauenj�ger>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by CARR4570:
I'm going to Dresden, Germany this summer to study German. I already have several friends from Dresden but they're girls and one friend from the Czech Republic also a girl. Point is I don't think women have the same taste for beer as men. Can the Germans, Austrians, and Czechs on this forum tell me the must try's so I won't waste my time. Vielen Dank

I don't know the beers of Dresden.
If you are studying on the university I am shure the students know very well the best beers.
We have here a Wheat beer pub in the town. There you can taste some dozen different wheat beers. I assume that Dresden will have some similar pub. The problem may be, that you can't remember the next day which was the best one and which may be responsible for your headache.

If you are so near to Czech, plan a visit to Pilzen, the town which the original Pilsener is brewed. Tastes really very good if you like this kind of beer.

Zum Wohle

<Sauenj�ger>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
Thanks for the tips! I'll print this and take it with me. I leave on the 16th and won't be home until the 6th of next month. I always look forward to visiting Germany; this will be my sixth trip in six years.

Russ

You like wine, so I assume, that you like the dry one. So have a look, that you really get a dry (German: Trocken)one. A lot of tourists like the sweet wine. So they often offer only sweet.

Also try the sparkling wine. They make the best sparkling wine from Riesling (also dry or brut of course).

Best regards

<hornblower>
posted
If we are talking about winw , try the Nahe wines , Russ , I grew up there and my father owned a wineyard . The soil there is heavy clay , producing full bodied , nice, dry wines . It�s only 50 km from Wiesbaden , we have the " Nahe Wine Route " there and in Oberhausen there�s a Weingut with an excellent international reputation .

As for beer : I wonder why nobody mentions all the delicious Belgian beers ! As I like the dark sorts , I can recommend Leffe , Corsendonk and Bruggse Tripel ( strong stuff ! )

one of us
posted Hide Post
1: Guiness ( Irish )
2: Carlsberg Hof ( Danish )
3: Moose head ( Canadian )

Sk�l, and a nice weekend to you all.
And don�t forget it is the International Womens Day today !!

Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Leif Wold,

I think IMHO all Belgian abbey beers. I have friends in USA, France,... For those who have drunk one of these beers, they list these beers on top list. I agreed with them of course.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JMeier>
posted
I'm not a Budweiser fan. I like Coors Light and Bud Light. I guess I'm too simple to try all the "fancy" ones. I just stick with what works.

JMeier

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
For all you guys that enjoy Guiness try Black Douglas & the other fine beers at:http://www.mythbirdbeer.com/

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 03-08-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Canuck
I exactly know, what you mean (if you mean the same "work" )

Exactly it is :
"Studen� pivo po pr�ci ?"

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote