Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
1. Guiness
2. L�wenbr�u
3. Pilsner Urquell
(4. Carnegie�s Porter)

Fritz

------------------
...the mark of the hunter is the ability to get close.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<OzSniper>
posted
Funny how popular Foster's Lager is throughout the world... except in the country in which it's brewed... Australia.

I can't remeber drinking it, so i will not tell you wether it's good or not, just stating an interesting observation. It was big here in Australia in the early to mid 80's... and yet in the last 5 years you'd be hard pressed to find a shop that stocks it, let alone a pub.

Australia's top 3 would be:

VB (Victoria Bitter)
Tooheys New
Tooheys Extra Dry.

Some say Carlton Crown are the "elite Aussie beer"... matter of opinion i guess

<holdson4>
posted
best beer is the one in your hand!

best overal ive sampled has to be caffery's
its a stout like guiness but way smoother with no after-taste. really nice(only available on tap)

rolling rock is the best lower-priced beer.very easy going down and doesnt sit heavy...one of the best keg beers

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Bud... didn't know it was a beer.

Foster's... Australia's Bud?

Modelo... Italian Shoes?

I know, I'm being a smart-alec.

I don't drink much beer, but I like Newcastle's Nut Brown Ale. A lot of our local brews like Moose Drool and Head Strong Pale Ale are good. Fat Tire is another.

Brad

<OzSniper>
posted
But then again, if you want to talk real drinks... it's hard to go past Bundaberg Rum

If you're out to get drunk quick, try a Canadian Bear F@#ker.

30ml OP Rum
30ml Jack Daniels
15ml Glava

all in a 7oz glass, and skull.
It's good for 3 things:

getting drunk very fast
killing brain cells
and degreasing engines

Cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fritz, you believe too much in advertising ...

Your posts on guns and caliber choice are excellent, but you should drink and taste some more beers. But I understand Sweden is difficult regarding alcohol.

Prost! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OzSniper

VB is indeed a good beer! I was down in Oz last Nov. and Dec. and had a chanse to test some of your exellent brews

I have to say that Crown lager is a good beer, expensive thoug

I was up in Brisbane visiting some shooting buddies and ended up at the Breakfast Creek pub. They had XXXX in wooden kegs! Really good beer, exellent steaks as well!

You also know how to make good red wine down there

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mariestad Export

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
1. Yuengling lager-- those outside of Pennsylvania who can get it in scarce quantities... it's coming your way here soon.
2. Yuengling Lager

3. Yuengling Lager

<monz>
posted
The best beer in the world is brewed by our neighbours in the east: LAPIN KULTA of Finland.
A small step behind comes Heineken and Beck�s.
The best sparkling water is the american Budweiser

<kwagga>
posted
1. Paulaner Hefeweizen

2. L�wenbr�u Hefeweizen

3. Erdinger Hefeweizen

Prost

Kwagga

[This message has been edited by kwagga (edited 03-06-2002).]

<Sauenj�ger>
posted
I thougt it was a spelling mistake, but now I see you really mean beer not bear.

I prefer Augustiner.

But we have a lot of small local breweries also, which have a very good beer and sell it only in the brewery pub or in the pubs a few km's arround.

The big one like Fosters are not really bad, but no comparison to the local one.

Prost.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Ethiopian Harrar Brewery (better than *any* German beer I ever tasted).

2. Neumarkter Lammsbr�u (Bavaria)

3. Diverse Russian strong beers (higher quality than 95 % of all German beers).

Regards from Germany,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Sauenj�ger>
posted
Hallo Carcano,

where can you get the Ethiopian beer? Never heard about. Have you been there?

Best regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt77, I have a whipped brother who lives outside of Philly. On occasion his dominatrix will write him a weekend pass to play. Sometimes he will also get an adavnce on his allowance and will bring a few bottles of Yuengling ( or Ying Yangs as we call them ). I have always lived under the premise that bad beer was better than no beer. But I was wrong. Yuengling was the first bottled beer that I found rust in.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aHunter:
Fritz, you believe too much in advertising ...

Your posts on guns and caliber choice are excellent, but you should drink and taste some more beers. But I understand Sweden is difficult regarding alcohol.

Prost! Hermann

Hermann,

Perhaps you�re right about my lack of sophistication regarding beers. I prefer wines to beer.

The best beers I�ve drunk were in Bamberg in Eastern Franconia, in the north of Bavaria. But all those beers are local specialities you can�t get somewhere else. However, the smoked "Rauchbier" wasn�t in my taste, but the several "ungespundeteten Landbier" and Lagers were excellent.

Aber das ist ein allzu weites Feld... (But that�s a too wide field...)

Horrido!

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you are when you drink it!

In Belgian its hard to top one of the local Lambics.

France sucks for beer...drink the wine.

Spain...same thing.

In central Germany a Bamburger Rauchbier is very interesting and unique... Southern Germany cries Pilsner from Lowenbrau (especially during Oktoberfest) In the summer a good local crystal Weizen with a slice of lemon is also nice.

In England the local Bitter is almost always the drink to have...but the New Castle Brown is also very good and quite superior to the stuff they import here in the states.

Here in the states I've found the local micro-brews usually better than anything you can buy bottled over the counter...A well hopped American Pale Ale is a thing of joy! (ala Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) If you want to taste a great quality European Beer here in the states buy a bottle of Chemay Trappist Beer from Belgian!

When its 95' out and you just finished mowing the lawn an ice cold Miller Lite is pretty darn sweet!

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shiner Bock

Now that I live in Ohio, I can't get it anymore.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
1. Bitburger
2. Parkbrau (SP?)
3. Modelo Negro

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The best beers in the world are brewed in Mexico (Tecate, Dos Equis, Modelo, Superior, Sol, Simpatico, Bohemia, etc.).

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Schaefer, is the, one beer to have, when your having more than one!

:-)

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Our brewery in Juneau, Alaska (Alaskan Brewing Co.) makes some pretty tasty brew. It must be the fresh RAIN / Glacier water.

My picks from them:

1. Winter Ale - Seasonal, Spruce tip
2. Alaskan Amber - Most consumed
3. Pale Ale - Almost Crystal clear

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold...Followed by Shiner Bock and Polar.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Some of my favorites are the ales from newish micro-breweries in Canada. Big Rock Breweries in Calgary makes some dandy brews. So does Nelson Breweries in BC. From back east Sleeman makes a real nice cream ale if you want something light and refreshing.

Moose Drool from Montana is great too. I have it whenever I am in Kallispell.

I'll keep my opinion on Bud etc to myself, but I will say of all the lagers/ales/stouts/porters etc I have ever tried, the only one that I really disliked was Pilsner Urquell. Must be an aquired taste.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauenj�ger:
Hallo Carcano,
where can you get the Ethiopian beer?

In Boston, MA. One of the world's best Ethiopian restaurants, by the way. At a very affordable price.

The Ethiopian restaurant in Frankfurt am Main wanted to import some beer for 2002, they told me.

Bamberger Rauchbier ist freilich auch ganz fein :-) Geb' ich ja zu. Aber mein Superlativ bzgl. �thiopien war v�llig ernst gemeint.

Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 03-06-2002).]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<THUNDER>
posted
BITBURGER, T

<Red Green>
posted
Ich war im Sommer '86 auf einem deutschen Bauernhof gearbeitet, und...I'd better do this in English before I get people to laughing.

The family I lived with used to drink Krombacher, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. They used to bring a couple of bottles to me with lunch while I was driving tractor. Thank goodness there's no such thing as driving tractor in a field under the influence.

The best beer these days is the beer I make. The worst beer I've ever tasted was a batch of rauchbier I tried to make. I think I didn't get the bottles sterilized well enough because the beer ended up tasting like smoked salmon. Turned from rauchbier to retchbeer.

<DavidP>
posted
1. Any COLD Beer!!!
2. Cold Shiner Bock
3. Cold Warsteiner
4. Any other COLD beer!!!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<DavidP>
posted
Wait, Lemme change my answer...

ANY COLD beer while in a Safari camp! Man that's livin'!!!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Here's my top three:

Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Bridgeport IPA
Bridgeport Pintail Ale

Come'on, I'm an Oregonian (Microbrew capital). You didn't expect me to list Bud did you?

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The micro brewery products are so far superior to the factory swill that it isn't even funny. I'd also say that one can't really narrow it to a single beer, as there are so many styles, each with it's unique flavor.

I guess I'll resort to my college rating, free beer is the best beer, and if it's a good local brew and on tap, it's better still.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Corsendank Dark. The best beer I've ever had (and I've had a few).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.) Guinness Stout
2.) Samuel Adams Cream Stout
3.) Grolsch

Oh yeah, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is pretty good. But then again I used to live about a mile and a half from the brewery. Bottoms UP!

Big 17

[This message has been edited by Big 17 (edited 03-08-2002).]

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
Glenfiddich.

The Scots have a fully spelling for beer, though. They spell it "whisky".

<Loren>
posted
1. Paulaner Oktoberfest
2. Guinness Stout
3. New Belgium brewing Co. Fat Tire

one of us
posted Hide Post
How come no one mentioned the beer that was voted best in the United States in 1897? Which one is that, you say? None other than Pabst Blue Ribbon...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spaten Fransikaner Dunkle Weissen

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bass Ale...

1. It's English..(here's to colonialism)
2. It has a lot of sulfur (keeps you wife away)
3. It's chewy and mmmmmmmmmmm good

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried as many biers as some of you all, but of the ones I have and like

1. Amsterdam Mariner
2. Heineken (ich trinke das jetzt)

Sehr gut Nederlande bier!

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote