New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I drew a 3rd season Colorado deer tag. I am in need of a new pair of hunting boots. What is everyone recommending? Not looking for insulated, just plain old hunting boots.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meindl Perfekt (by Cabela’s). They are great
boots. I have used them a lot.

I also have Zamberlan. They are ver good boots as well.

However, I’d give the meindl a small edge for comfort.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
I drew a 3rd season Colorado deer tag. I am in need of a new pair of hunting boots. What is everyone recommending? Not looking for insulated, just plain old hunting boots.

Un Insulated Kennetrek Hardscrabble for a really nice mid hight boot

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ones that fit. Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
+1 and wear the a LOT before you go hunting.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Meindl Perfekt (by Cabela’s). They are great
boots. I have used them a lot.

I also have Zamberlan. They are ver good boots as well.

However, I’d give the meindl a small edge for comfort.

Another vote for Meindl boots

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, if you're a size 10, I have plenty of higher-quality, low-use hunting boots.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good fit is the most important, but after that you'll want to assure that they are waterproof. Even if you have no rain or snow to contend with there may be a heavy morning dew which will soak right through some boots; you may also have creeks to wade.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of cheap Field & Stream leather boots. They have a very light Thinsulate insulation. (For CO 3rd season you might want a little bit of insulation. JMO).

I use them for early season big game hunting in Colorado, as well as for pheasant hunting.

They are comfortable and lightweight and have a good sole (I avoid heavy duty treads. I am not a 4-WD jeep with unlimited power, and heavy duty treads pick up mud.)

I think I paid about $75.00 bucks for them. I got them at Dick's Sporting Goods, but Sears might carry them as well.

JMO

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Good fit is the most important, but after that you'll want to assure that they are waterproof. Even if you have no rain or snow to contend with there may be a heavy morning dew which will soak right through some boots; you may also have creeks to wade.

Agreed, I use sno-seal and have had very good luck.

If you like blisters and wet feet, try the Danner's!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kenetrek

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Meindl and Danner Pronghorn.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Third season Colorado can be 75 hot and dry or snowing. Kind of depends on the year of course, but where you are hunting. I never go without waterproof or resistant, most of the time with light Thinsulate boots. Choices of socks add warmth for colder weather. Fit is everything of course. Buy now, big enough for a really great insole insertion, and wear a lot. My favorite pair, going back with me next year, is a Guide Gear lace to the toe boot from Sportsman's guide. Paid $75 for them. I also have a pair of Military Surplus Gore-Tex non-insulated boots that I paid $20 for, at the local Surplus store, that fit great with a premium insole that I like really well for backup.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Danner

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have right foot/ankle that is partially paralyzed and I can roll it fairly easy. I hunt way back in and can't take chance of bad sprain or worse. I started checking and found that Kennetrek boots won't let that happen the higher ones are better. I have been using for several years and have not had any bad problems rolling.
I kind of stepped back when I saw the price but I now have two pair. They will take back and recondition for $175.00. You take of them and they will last a long time. Your feet are too important to slight on bad boots. You get what you pay for.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I too have Kenetreks but I must admit a lot of times I just wear my Red Wing Elk Hunters. Great boot, comfortable and good traction.
About half price of the Kenetreks.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with those who have suggested Kenetrek boots. I've had a pair of Mountain Extremes for 7 or 8 years now and they are still going strong. Mine fit well and provide good support.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Everyone has different feet. I suggest you go to as many shops as possible and try as many as you can find.

I have used the Meindl Perfekt Hikers for hunts in Germany.

I have a pair of Kuiu Scarpas that are awesome. I used them hiking in the Alps, but not sure that I need that much boot for most hunts.

I used to always wear Danner Canadians on western Elk hunts. I don't own them anymore, but I still think they are good boots. Though for most of the pplaces I have hunted mountain boots are better.

I have a pair of Low Desert military mountain boots I wear here in New Mexico a lot. But they are for dry weather.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Everyone has different feet. I suggest you go to as many shops as possible and try as many as you can find.

I have used the Meindl Perfekt Hikers for hunts in Germany.

I have a pair of Kuiu Scarpas that are awesome. I used them hiking in the Alps, but not sure that I need that much boot for most hunts.

I used to always wear Danner Canadians on western Elk hunts. I don't own them anymore, but I still think they are good boots. Though for most of the pplaces I have hunted mountain boots are better.

I have a pair of Low Desert military mountain boots I wear here in New Mexico a lot. But they are for dry weather.

Bingo!

Find a brand that fits YOUR feet then match it with the features you want. For me hunting in the mountains I've worn Lowa Banff's for many years. They have no insulation and no Goretex (which I think is overrated) so they're for early season but treating them with Obenauffs takes care of any wet weather concerns. But most of all I let my feet make the choice not what someone else thinks is best.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELP.....
I'm wearing a size 10 4E very hard to find a good hunting boot.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
HELP.....

What about Limmers?

https://www.limmercustomboot.com/

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Chuck: The perfect boot for you can be found 55 miles from your house in Plover, WI in Berlin, WI: the Russell Moccasin Co. They make a Kangaroo Skin uninsulated boot that they will custom make to your specifications. My PH in Namibia swears by Russell’s.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Kenetrek. I've had and tried all of the others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I came into adulthood as a 12 R.

By 30 I was wearing a 13 R.

At 40 I was wearing a 14 W

At 45 I am wearing a 13 W.

Brands I liked at 30, I can't wear at 45.

Went to Cabelas and tried on 13 pairs of snake boots. Hated all of them.

You really never know until you try them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Asolo hunter GV for me. I wear them daily and hike in the mountains regularly. I have had about 6 pair in the last 20 years. Fit my feet well, great support and reasonably priced through Sierra Outfitters.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gone to the Lowa's and never had better boots and that's including the Russells.

I still have my Russells and Russell PH boots too, but I wish I had gotten the Lowas there too and just gotten pairs in uninsulated and the Lowas mountain insulated boots as well.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I am amazed that no one asked where you are going to hunt. Maybe 3rd season is limited area, but conditions and needs can vary greatly over the different geography available in Colorado.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew a Unit 54 deer tag. We last hunted there in 2005. I killed a big 5x5 scored 201 7/8 gross.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Third season Colorado can be 75 hot and dry or snowing. Kind of depends on the year of course, but where you are hunting.

Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
What works for one person may not work for you, but you should always get the best for your feet and that includes socks. I cannot go to any store and walk around a few minutes and declare I have found my boots. I prefer to order online from companies that have a generous return policy. Most companies (and Amazon) allow you to return if they were not used outside. A short walk on my treadmill using the inclines and varied speeds has never failed me when it comes to picking a boot or other shoe.

I wear Danners if mountains are on the agenda. I have a pair of Crispy’s that I like but their customer service is so bad I would never repeat or recommend them.

Safe travels.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does a New Mexico boy know of Limmers??? dancing
Growing up they were of cult status here in New England... had a pair made for my fat feet more than 30 years ago.. With good Gaiters they are a great boot even in deep snow.. But a bit heavy compared to boots made with modern materials
quote:
quote:
HELP.....

What about Limmers?

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not from New Mexico, only been here since April 1.

Limmers were always advertised in Backpacker magazine when I used to get it 20 years ago.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It still matters where you are to be hunting in Colorado, of course. I don’t hunt there, but in the loose hills of Argentina. I am looking to the hiker/backpacker boot next. I also will need to remember my knee brace, as you should get an ankle brace. Neoprene or something thin. I know this because a twisted knee shortly after being dropped off in pale light, but still connected.

That being said, I still have no answer; I’m still searching myself.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That being said, I still have no answer; I’m still searching myself.

Over the last 50 some years of wearing boots I am still looking also.

I worn many boots out once every two to 3 years when I was working.

When I was drilling wells never did find any that stood up to being wet every day.

I like to find the perfect boot also.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got stuck in the quest of finding the "perfect" boot, for about 5-8 years. Kenetreks, Zamberlans, Meindls, Howas, and Lowas....are a few of what I've tried. Once I've found Crispis, that was it, for me. Super quick to break in and long lasting.....2 things I thought didn't belong together.

One thing to watch for is their "flex" rating. The higher the number, the stiffer the sole's flex. A rating of 3 works pretty good for an all around boot.....the 4 is for the nasty stuff. My dedicated chukar boots are 4's.

The Idaho or Wyoming models, with the "exo-skeleton" webbing, are perhaps the quickest break-in boot I have ever seen. After a few miles, they start to form to your feet. After 20 miles, they look like a cast of my lower leg and foot. With no heel rub, no blisters.

The hunter gtx model will handle the most extreme conditions, add the Idaho gtx, and you have all bases covered.

I only wish I found them sooner......my bank account would of thanked me!

Andy#3

https://www.crispius.com/footw...oduct_list_limit=all

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never used those boots that cost as much as my rifle..I wear best quality cowboy boots daily, I ranch in them, I rope in them, I hunt in them, I usually resole them at some point with a full thick composite sole after I wear the first sole out. I have no complaints after 84 years, but guess they aren't for everyone..I have healthy feet, and my lung specilist doctor who says I have to walk a mile a day or 5 says cowboy boots are as good as any, but take off the spurs when walking, all this conversation was to my wifes dismay!! dancing

The exception is Africa (Tanzania) where I were quality Tennis shoes that I can wade in and they dry fast..Usually New Balance..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
HELP.....

What about Limmers?

I have the Limmer Lightweight boots. I use them mainly for chukar hunting. Very durable nd moderately light weight, good traction.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've worn Danner boots for a couple decades. Still have several pair but recently purchased a pair of Crispi and so far have been very happy with them. Kennetrek have a large following for sure.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Go to REI - there are two in Wisconsin and try the lowa renegade

https://www.rei.com/product/78...id-hiking-boots-mens

Best boot I have used. One lasted me 10 years. Africa, Alaska, Romania, Texas, South Carolina swamps and a lot of snow sludge walking in nyc and ct.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best boot I have used. One lasted me 10 years

Mike, what did you do with the other boot? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote