New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women in camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hunt with a bunch of old timers that think that women and kids don't belong in camp. I've often wanted to bring a split-tale to camp just for the fun of it. Do you have rules like this in your hunting camps?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Does this answer your question?

Or this?

Edited: If kids don't belong in camp where do they learn to love to hunt?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I hunt with a bunch of old timers that think that women and kids don't belong in camp. I've often wanted to bring a split-tale to camp just for the fun of it. Do you have rules like this in your hunting camps?

No rules against either, especially against kids (not the little little ones though, young hunters OK), but then we don't really have to worry about women wanting to tag alone anyway (due to cold, wild animals, lack of showers, etc). Plus, we get to eat more beans when the don't tag along, right?? Big Grin

Seriously, I would either go hunting with the guys OR with the wife, but not both together. If the other guys were bringing wives/girlfriends, then I might. Otherwise I would not. Young kids are perfectly OK with me as long as they are old enough to follow directions, listen and be safe.

On the other hand, if you do take your wife/girlfriend along, and she enjoys it, you may end up going hunting more often than you thought possible. Right now I'm trying to talk my wife into going to South Africa with me.

Good luck!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was seemingly an unwritten rule at our PA deer camp until my Dad bucked the trend and took me along when I was old enough to legally hunt at 12 years old. Everyone eventually got over it, but as far as I know I was the only kid that ever was taken to that camp that young. My own 2 son's already have been going to moose camp with me since age 6 and my oldest just accompanied me to Namibia at age 11. As far as women were concerned, the deer camp was a man's haven away from the wife and I NEVER saw a woman in camp during hunting season. Personally I would welcome anyone that could hunt hard and safe.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
If kids don't belong in camp where do they learn to love to hunt?

I agree 100% See this report: Colorado 2005

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're actually going to HUNT, and not just looking for an opportunity to sneak away from job and family obligations to play cards and drink--and if the woman and/or child is physically and mentally up for the experience, and won't be an anchor that prevents others from enjoying their hunts,why would anyone object to having them along?

Seems to me that if your wife--and better yet, your kids, too--likes the outdoors, you might actually get a chance to hunt more, and have to avoid those "friendly discussions" about where to spend the vacation money this year.

Maybe I'm the exception, but if my hunting and fishing companions didn't want my wife coming along on any trip that she was interested in, I'd find new folks to hunt with. Fortunately, my friends are also hers.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like so many things, it depends on the lady and the kid. Some I would welcome with open arms; others I wouldn't want to spend 10 minutes in Heaven with.
In my various camps over the years, the unwritten rule was that if you brought a lady, or a kid, or a pilgrim to camp, then YOU were responsible for their conduct. If they were jerks or wouldn't pitch in or were unsafe, then YOU were the one that wouldn't get invited back.
Just from reading their posts, I would imagine that Aspen Ann and Gotogirl would make good camp partners.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we usually have weekends set aside for the women folk to join us. most of the time camp is no place for a lady.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if we dont get as many women and kids in hunting camps hunting will be gone as we know it within 50 years or less.I just got my girlfriend to take her hunters safety course.I have only hunted with 3 women and enjoyed it alot more than many guys I hunted with.Women and kids will listen to you .My dad always took as many of my friends as possible.Its always been my dream to have my other half a huntress.I take any kid I can find to go hunting with me.I bet my dad took over 100 people hunting at our cabin.I think over half were kids.Its kids and women that are the key to the future to hunting.If you get the women on our side and more kids hunting you have the key to a future of hunting.I could not find anyone to go hunting with here ion Alaska.The older guys all had their secert hunting spots that they only shared with other old farts.I took every kid that wanted to go with me and had alot more fun.I only found three women that hunted and took all three.Its time to save hunting as a sport or its gone forever.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 11 year old daughter is my favorite hunting partner! At age 4 1/2 I would carry her over the mud and creeks from our auto, to where we would hunt. Now she carries her own daypack with her stuff in it. She will hunt longer than all my other friends will, we dress very warm and stay comfortable all day. We have shot 6 whitetail together and she help me process them. The first deer we shot at age 6 and I had her track it as I taught her along the way. When we were gutting the deer she received a biology lesson along with it. She still tells her friends about that to this day. She has seen animals and we have spent days together, we have had conversations that we never would have never otherwise had. To sum it up, PRICELESS!
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I think if we dont get as many women and kids in hunting camps hunting will be gone as we know it within 50 years or less.I just got my girlfriend to take her hunters safety course.I have only hunted with 3 women and enjoyed it alot more than many guys I hunted with.Women and kids will listen to you .My dad always took as many of my friends as possible.Its always been my dream to have my other half a huntress.I take any kid I can find to go hunting with me.I bet my dad took over 100 people hunting at our cabin.I think over half were kids.Its kids and women that are the key to the future to hunting.If you get the women on our side and more kids hunting you have the key to a future of hunting.I could not find anyone to go hunting with here ion Alaska.The older guys all had their secert hunting spots that they only shared with other old farts.I took every kid that wanted to go with me and had alot more fun.I only found three women that hunted and took all three.Its time to save hunting as a sport or its gone forever.

thumb

When I was ALOT younger, my behavior in camp (at night after guns were stowed) wasn't something I would have wanted to share with my wife. Glad I grew outta that! Now, the more the merrier regardless of gender. dgr416 is right...we need to get as many people involved in hunting as we possibly can!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sadie goes everywhere with me or should I say we go together. You won't find me in any camp that has some arachaic exclusionary policy. If men can't be comfortable around outdoor women and kid old enough to hunt perhaps they should take a look at why they hunt. I hunt to hunt not to give myself an opportunity to do some Jekyl and Hyde thing.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy hunting with my wife and my oldest son. Sone number two is not quite old enough yet. Women and children are part of the Future of hunting.

Now they do not always want to come along and that is fine too but I will not hunt with a bunch of guys that tell me I can't bring them.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Some women aren't up to the sometimes 'colorful' discussions that may go with hunting camps.

Some men are looking for the weekend away from women as much as the hunt.

Some men are just old fashioned...hunting is for guys, housework is for gals.

Lots of reasons for having a 'no women' rule at hunting camps. Personally if the woman can handle it, and not be a drag on the relaxation and 'atmosphere', then go for it! I have gotten my wife into fishing because family time is too hard to find anyways, and it made the purchase of a new boat MUCH easier!

Kids in camp, assuming they are well behaved, ALWAYS! Enforce the rules and make them behave...but have fun. After all, that's why we are out there!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we don't get our kids envolved in hunting today....What will they be envolved in tommorrow

I don't what to wish my life away to fast however, I can't wait until my three year old daughter can go hunting. I took here dove hunting last September, plus I have a Sako .243 set aside for her when she is old enough to shoot.

I tip my hat to everyone that takes a child hunting or fishing...they are the future to our great sport if you will.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Some very interesting replies here…

Our tented whitetail camp along the Guadalupe River in the Texas Hill Country wouldn’t be the same without my wife Jane (aka “She-Wolfâ€). We’ve been hunting together since before we were married, so she’s as “natural†to have in camp as anyone else.

Work had kept her away from camp much of this season, and when she made it in for a couple of days around Christmas she was ready to “make meatâ€. Still, as tired as she was, she opted to stay in camp that morning while my partner and I went out playing Rover Boys. When we returned, we found she had slipped away from camp a piece after sun-up, knocked an apple-headed old doe on her fanny with one well placed .270, field dressed her, hauled her to camp and had her swinging in the tree when we pulled in. Oh, did I mention that she already had the breakfast dishes done as well?

She’s a fine companion, a cool shot, and works like hell when something needs doing…something I’ve seen sorely missing in some of the “macho men†I’ve shared (briefly) a campfire with. Frankly, I’d much prefer “split-tails†as it was so eloquently put, to a campful of “git-r-doneâ€, beer swilling yokels. But that’s just me…

No disrespect intended.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 608 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 4yr old daughter faith has hunted with me the last 2yrs. we usuallt do a spot and stalk type hunt and she will stay back with my cousins wife so she is not right with me-but last yr she helped gut the mule deer ishot and thisyr with both antelope she was saying-i'll hold that leg etc. Her mom just shakes her head when she wants to watch the hunting shows on saturday morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think some of you are getting the wrong impression here. Hard core hunting camps can have some expressions and words said that are no harm to anyone. But certain men I know have a code of conduct that doesn’t extend to the hunting camp. Some of the guys I know are refined gentlemen outside camp but let there guard up a little when out for a week or two of hunting.. I know they are gentlemen enough that they don’t want to expose women and children to the abrasions that can happen in camp. Hell, I’m 52 and learn new words each year. These same men I know have no more fun than to teach new hunters, whether women or children, the tricks of the trade concerning hunting and fishing and life on the mountain. A lot of the conversations in camp after the sun sets is about family endeavors.
These men are true sportsmen and know the future of hunting is the next generation, but they just think that when they are out to bag the game themselves and not guide for a younger hunter or have the wife tag along that they mean business and there is no time to have to watch their language or make sure the kids are behaving. You have to understand that most of these guys were loggers in their younger years and when in camp some of their old habits come out. Man did I find this out the hard way! They just get upset when someone brings a female or a kid to camp and they can’t call this time in camp their own. Maybe it is a bit of selfishness, I’m not sure but I know that if a women or a kid shows up they are upset. Just wondering if other camps have the same demeanor to deal with. No disrespect to the kids or other gender intended and yes the future of hunting depends on the next generation. It has for several generations past and will for several generation to come. Sometimes it just has to be about the men, I guess.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife as been at deer camp from the time we got married 25 years ago. My daughter from the time she was old enough to walk.

They are welcome as long they want to hunt and not complain.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I think some of you are getting the wrong impression here. Hard core hunting camps can have some expressions and words said that are no harm to anyone. But certain men I know have a code of conduct that doesn’t extend to the hunting camp. Some of the guys I know are refined gentlemen outside camp but let there guard up a little when out for a week or two of hunting.. I know they are gentlemen enough that they don’t want to expose women and children to the abrasions that can happen in camp. Hell, I’m 52 and learn new words each year. These same men I know have no more fun than to teach new hunters, whether women or children, the tricks of the trade concerning hunting and fishing and life on the mountain. A lot of the conversations in camp after the sun sets is about family endeavors.
These men are true sportsmen and know the future of hunting is the next generation, but they just think that when they are out to bag the game themselves and not guide for a younger hunter or have the wife tag along that they mean business and there is no time to have to watch their language or make sure the kids are behaving. You have to understand that most of these guys were loggers in their younger years and when in camp some of their old habits come out. Man did I find this out the hard way! They just get upset when someone brings a female or a kid to camp and they can’t call this time in camp their own. Maybe it is a bit of selfishness, I’m not sure but I know that if a women or a kid shows up they are upset. Just wondering if other camps have the same demeanor to deal with. No disrespect to the kids or other gender intended and yes the future of hunting depends on the next generation. It has for several generations past and will for several generation to come. Sometimes it just has to be about the men, I guess.

If that's the way those guys want it, fine. I wouldn't impose on them buy taking my family. If those guys feel that is what is required for them to have a good time and unwind, who am I to argue the point?

I'd just go somewhere else, with folks a little more accomadating, to my needs. And, like most people have posted already, take my kid along to learn about life in the outdoors. She loves it already, and taking her and my wife along can only help to foster an even greater love and respect for the outdoors and hunting.
JMHO.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My wife has hunted with me for 35 years. In my camp, and in many others. It never was a problem she was understanding of camp life, and as long a guy wasen't a total jerk it was fine..I have a neice that has been in the blind on opening day since she was maybe 3-4 years old..I understand the grey whiskers ideas on this subject, but that is just it, old ideas, we have to change if we want the sport to survive. Kids are fine, under control, and hopefully old enough to know that what is said here stays here!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am no old timer, but I do recall the no women in camp mentality. I reckon most of these guys were so kitty whipped that deer camp was the only time they got to take there nuts out of their back pocket. I say take as many females hunting as you can.
Wink

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I am with most of you, Our camp usually consisted of 8 or 9 travel trailers, motorhomes, kids, dogs, etc. However on opening morning it was usually just fathers and son's, that headed for the hills. The women were welcome but they were usually content to fix the first liver of the morning when we returned to camp, about 10:30 or 11:00 am. In the afternoon they usually wanted to go for a drive, looking for a likely spot to head for the next morning or look for the family Christmas tree. Later in the day the fellows headed for the canyons again.
[IMG:left][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=342995&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

[IMG:left][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=373375&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

There are plenty of hunts during the year that I go on with just the "fellows". The deer hunt just isn't one of them.....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father was not only a great hunter but he was a great teacher of hunters.He started me squirrel hunting at the age of 4.He took me fishing at the age of 2.He always took every friend that I ever wanted to take hunting with me.The ones that didnt have guns or stands he loaned them what they needed.He did not treasure big bucks he treasured teaching kids and adults hunting and fishing.He always cooked for the whole camp and cleaned every deer shot.I saw him clean 17 deer one opening day .I learned how to cleran deer and took over for him.He taught one of my best friends who I lost this year after 25 years of hunting and fishing together.I heard my dad never complain any time about helping kids.I will never know how he had so much energy.This happened in a small cabin on our farm.My dad didnt like drinking and if any one came to drink they were told to not hunt and then to leave.My dad helped every kid that came get their first deer.I rember one day he put 7 of my brothers friends on stands.My bother and all his friends all got deer.We had around 5,000 acres to hunt in the early 70s through the 80s with just handshakes with land owners.I look to my dad as one of the greatyest hunters and friends in my life.I learned from him its not always the kill that is important its the friendship of hunting and getting kids and adults into hunting that matters the most.Its not what is on your wall that matters when you leave this earth its the memories of the hunters that you taught to hunt that will last on forever.I am teaching my girlfriend slowly but surely to hunt.I have taken 15 kids here in Alaska myself who other wise would have had no one to hunt with.I had to wait with one friends son.He was only 9 and very small.I was with him when he shot two caribou with one shot.He took hos first moose this year.I was so proud of him.I dont have any kids of my own but I borrow one every chance I get.I always tell them its how much fun you have hunting that matters the most not how big your kill is.If I can get my girlfriend through the fence just to go hunting with me will be my greatest of all hunting thrills.I think she will,she loves all the wild meat I got for her.She even ate the grizzly a friend gave me.Its the women and kids that are our future and you better grab every woman and kid that wants to go hunting before its gone forever.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The only people I don't want in camp are those that try to micromanage the place.

I am there to hunt period! I don't have time for BS.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is where your priorities lie. I have been to camp where we hunted hard, drank hard and fought hard. This was a camp that no woman or yongster should come near. I was much younger then. When my son was about 6 or so I started my own camp. I took him and a couple of his buddies to "our camp". This progressed over the years, when the boys were old enough to hunt I took them. I even helped some single Mom's purchase the boy's shootin' irons. Some of those Mom's sure made good cookies and pies. They are all in college now including my son. The best day of my hunting life will be when I can get them to come back and maybe bring their sons/daughters. I would like to think that I passed on something good. We had fun. As far as the gentler sex is concerned, my mother has been to camp since she was a girl, she has been to bird camp and deer camp, I know she has shot more animals and ducks and birds than alot of guys I know. I want to hunt and fish with her now more than ever. I think your values change on what is important. Whatever way you go, I don't feel you should compromise the rest of your camp members. Do what I did, go have your own camp the way you want it. Everyone will have a much better time. Thanks. Sorry so long winded.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is 2006.........not 1957.
I would feel a whole lot more comfortable with some of the women I know in camp ......than I would some of the men I know.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting and diverse comments stringing down through this page. There is of course, no correct answer, only individual preferences in our lifestyles and relationships. If you have a wife, girlfriend, or youngster who wants to share the game fields with you, then be thankful. It shouldn't be that way, but women and kids out hunting keep my mindful of my language and manners. I wish my wife could go more often, like she used to. Personally, about 20 minutes with Larry the Cable Guy in my camp and I'd kill 'em and eat 'em.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are times where men only hunts are appro.
However my wife is one of my best hunting buddys. She has done many backpack hunts lasting as long as 9 days. We hunted in Colorado, third season several times. On one hunt we camped 21 days. It got 25 degrees below several nights.
As to taking kids hunting, they are the future of the sport. I have been in the field with the kids of family and friends when they took their first game. I enjoyed it as much as they did.
I have a bear hunt in Idaho planed for next June. I will hunt for a week, then one of my buddies will bring up his two sons. I will stay for an extra week to "guide" one of his sons. This will be their first big hunt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took my wife to the ranch one time, and her comment upon seeing the bunkhouse: "I though you said it was primitive?" Guess an old hay barn converted to bunkhouse, full of rats, mice, and snakes (in warm weather) didn't make it up to the primitive level. At any rate, I don't have to worry about taking her hunting.

One of our partners is newly remarried and brings his bride each and every time he is on the ranch. However, they have separate accommodations (Winnebago) and never stay long enough to need the shower.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg, et al
Just my $.02 worth about women and kids in “deer campâ€.

I do a lot more lurking on this forum than I do posting. However, due to the nature of the responses, I couldn’t let this one go.

I won’t try to establish my bona fides other that to say that before we got married my future wife and I went fishing together on a regular basis. I have been married to that same beautiful, vibrant woman for twenty seven years and have two sons and a daughter. All of them know firearms inside and out. My kids grew up fishing in our pond, running trot lines on the creek and spending summers at our place in the country. All three of my children (ages 21-24) own their own firearms. My oldest son has been hunting with me since he was seven. My daughter, wife and youngest son hunt, but hunting is not an obsession like it is with my oldest son and I. I did not allow my sons in deer camp before their sixteenth birthday. My wife says, “ If I’ve go to squat , I ain’t going there.â€

A wise man once said “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavenâ€. Perhaps I am splitting hairs or trying to draw to fine a line. Taking your wife and kids with you hunting, fishing, camping and teaching them woodcraft and sportmanship should be something that comes as natural as falling off a log. Taking them to your deer lease is a fine and commendable thing also. However, taking them to deer “camp†is another
Maybe your definition of “deer camp†and mine are different. Perhaps I am a totally unreconstructed male chauvinist degenerate, but I don’t go to deer camp to spend my time with kids or women. I go to deer camp to enjoy the camaraderie of men. Not boys, not girls, not women, but men who I like and respect. Men to whom I can confide in with confidence. Men who can hold their liquor, smoke, spit, kill animals and skin them with relish. Men who will razz you one minute then work along side of you and hold up their end the next. Men who are comfortable around each other, and around whom you can let your hair down.

I don/t know what your deer camp is like but ours is in central Texas several miles south of Garner State park. It is six miles from the highway. There is no electricity, running water or phone service (cellular or hardwired). TV’s and VCR’s are not allowed. Our bathroom facilities consist of a porta potty under a tree in an oak mott. At our camp when a man finishes his business, he digs a hole in the ground for the next man, just in case that fellow gets caught short. Sometimes we are in camp for a week to 10 days. We sleep in an un-insulated tin line shack that is 18’ X 18’. It contains 5 sets of bunk beds and a table. I hunt with 9 other men between the ages of 35 and 70 years. Some of us have hunted together since before we had wives and kids. We have a group dynamic. Over the years we’ve developed roles and a pecking order. If you’ve hunted with the same group of men for a number of years, you know what I mean.
Women and children change the dynamic of the group.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, women were only allowed on certain, designated weekends. The idea being that while one gal might be an okay addition, it would not sit well with the wives (who didn't want to be there anyway). I understand that was several years ago, but I am still mindful of the fact that sometimes the menfolk want a little time away from the womenfolk and vice-versa. When I buy my own membership on a lease it may be an issue, but until then I live and let live.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I not only don't mind but look forward to seeing youngsters brought out hunting. Women are fine as well.
I quit my last hunting club because of the restrictions on kids. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own the camp so I set the rules period! Women and kids too young to hunt are not welcome during hunting season though they are welcome during non hunting times of the year. My wife hunts and if she decides she wants to come to camp with me I do not invite other men at that time.
Being a guest at my camp is by invitation only, so if you bring your hunting youth with you I want to know in advance and you are responsible. I ask no one to tame down their behavior or not to cuss just 'cause a kid is at camp. I feel it is the parent's responibility to decide if they want their kid exposed to it not mine. If the parent does bring them the kid is accepted as an equal and is expected to not be a pain in the ass.
I've had many young hunters in camp...kids that became regulars there a few now have kids of their own .
But I never allow women in camp during hunting season

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ps if you want to send your woman to camp with me while you stay home ...I guess that would be fine too cheers

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I think there are times when mixed camps are great and times when stag camps, whether it be all girls or all guys (no kids) are great fun too.

Most of the time I enjoy the diverse social atmosphere of a mixed camp.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I think there are times when mixed camps are great and times when stag camps, whether it be all girls or all guys (no kids) are great fun too.

thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree as long as people are civil and treat each other the way they want to be treated. I am not a big supporter of the current "WHat happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" mentality. If you want to act out or be a high school kid again on a trip, go to Cancun. But in Africa, no problem for me and mine.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

I agree as long as people are civil and treat each other the way they want to be treated. I am not a big supporter of the current "WHat happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" mentality. If you want to act out or be a high school kid again on a trip, go to Cancun. But in Africa, no problem for me and mine.

thumb

Between the two of you you've said what I feel! I am definately in support of having kids along. If "camping" then roudy kids are still more easy to deal with than roudy drunk adults! As for hunting with them, mine have been along while fair weather hunting as soon as they were out of diapers. They are better companions than many if not most of the guys that were in the last club. My wife went on a wilderness elk hunt with me for our "honeymoon". clap There are many good times to be had with good company, but I could care less for being around people that cause me grief at any time, especially when hunting. Mad

The new club has nearly 180 different properties, and only allows one gun per thousand acres. It is tailored to families, and although I've met very few members, those I have met have been very nice, respectful people.

To each thier own I suppose, I just don't like dealing with someone elses good times, and don't think a man should act much different when out with friends than when out with family. Some conversations would be avoided with consideration for who's present, but most of the time there are very few. I don't cuss like a Sailor when out with friends, and talk like a choir boy later. I should know, I was a Sailor! Like someone else said above, if you want to act like a drunk teenager, go to Mexico! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mixed camps are fine if I walk around in my boxers with no shirt and a female wishes to do the same I'm not going to bitch about it.But I do not "adjust" my habits because a women or kid is in camp that I own. While a guest at someone else's camp I go by the rules they run their camp under. If that is tails and white gloves to the dinner table so be it. It is my choice to not return or accept the offer in the first place.
As for the needing to go to Mexico to get drunk comments...every camp has it's own rules. In my camp beer and Crown Royal is a staple, if someone gets drunk and does damage or acts like an ass they pay ther price. But usually i know my friends well enough to know whom will get invited to begin with. For the record.....I do act differently at camp than at home...I don't drink nor cuss like a sailor at home.