THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    2005 Colorado hunt, w/pictures: late report.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Colorado hunt, w/pictures: late report.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Howdy men,

Sorry for the late report, but you know how things go . . . Nevertheless, I thought I’d share a few pictures with you from this year’s hunt because it was special for me in two ways: 1st, it was the first year that I finally got to hunt in Colorado, and 2nd because my buddy's son took his first elk on this trip. As this was a self hunt, and because I’m a firm believer in taking kids hunting, I thought that I’d show you how things turned out. I will say this upfront, it was beautiful country and we worked pretty hard for the animals we took. I’ll try to keep the report short.

The night before opening day got pretty cold. Here are some of us standing around the camp fire already swapping stories of hunting trips past:

On the 1st morning it stormed a little, so my hunting buddy and me were forced to hide under the rock cliff shown below as we ascended the hill we were on:

A view from later in the morning on the 1st day:

Another view from the 1st day:

Me taking a break on the 2nd day of the hunt:

The elk that my friend's kid shot. I’m not sure who was prouder, him or his dad (Actually, I know his dad was much prouder):

Kevin getting busy with his new trophy:

A good look at the elk back in camp:

Just a picture of Kevin, his dad, and me goofing around one day. I was a guest with these folks and they treated me like a king. I consider myself lucky to have been with them for this special hunt:

Lastly, what would a hunting trip be with breaking something on your new 4x4 Dodge RAM? Well, I decided to get brave on about the 4th day and drive my new truck up a muddy road. On the way down, my chain tightener came loose and I thus lost a banjo bolt on the way back down when the chain went off-center. Try riding down a steep, muddy mountain road on your front brakes only, with NO chains on one side and on street tires. I definitely had the "pucker†factor working. The truck and I survived but did the guys give me a hard time about the whole ordeal:

So, we had a great time, ate like Kings and Princes, and have some good stories to tell too. I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Thanks

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Can't see the pictures?

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
Can't see the pictures?

John

Sorry, should be fixed now. trying to type in the dark!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LongCarbine
posted Hide Post
Those things will happen when you're driving a Dodge! Big Grin

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

Posts: 125 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures! Did you give that lucky young man a coniac and a beer! Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Great pictures! Did you give that lucky young man a coniac and a beer! Big Grin

Well, we gave him a small bottle of Jack (if I remember correctly), which his dad said he can have once he grows up a bit more. However, a few drinks and cigars did get tossed around that night, along with some back strap!

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect way to start the young man off in life! cheers

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that you guys had a good time. I remember that morning snow well, I was glad when it was done. Next time you come out we'll have to get together for a beer.

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great pictures and report, and congratulations to Kevin! thumb

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote