Notify
Tools

Tipping on Western Hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
When a hunt I am doing is over and the client is getting ready to depart, they hand me whatever tip they feel like giving, I do not even look at it.

I put in my pocket, shake hands with them and Thank them for choosing to hunt with me.

I never know how much they have given me until after they have left camp.

I do the exact same level of work for every client and do not think about whether or not there will be a tip at the end of the hunt.

I guide because I love to hunt, but no longer get a rush out of killing game myself, with the exception of ducks.

Crazy, that is the way to do it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When a hunt I am doing is over and the client is getting ready to depart, they hand me whatever tip they feel like giving, I do not even look at it.

I put in my pocket, shake hands with them and Thank them for choosing to hunt with me.

I do the exact same level of work for every client and do not think about whether or not there will be a tip at the end of the hunt.

I guide because I love to hunt, but no longer get a rush out of killing game myself, with the exception of ducks.

If i ever decide to go for a guided hunt, I'm calling you. This is exactly how it should be.

Posts: 59 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
The whole concept of expecting anything in the form of a tip for normal service just doesn't make sense.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In the case of a guide leaving me on top of a mountain in a snow storm to make my own way back to camp would be very aware, as soon as I got to camp, of the fact he was not going to get a tip from me and if he was really lucky he would go home with all his teeth!

.............................................................I cannot abide a guide who shirks his job, then expects a tip anyway!
....................................................................... Mad

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d never look at a tip in front of a client, man that would be embarrassing! Tips are a funny thing.
I’ve had a few guys do some crazy stuff with tips.
One guy shot a 40” ram and handed me all his money right there on the mountian! Later in the day he asked to borrow some cash as he was out! Lol I just handed his tip back to him and told him to do whatever he needed with it first.
Another guy put 10 bucks in one pocket and I’m not sure how much in his other pocket and decided he wanted to test my faith in my religion and told me to guess which pocket and that God would give me what I needed!! I got the 10 bucks and a good laugh!
One other guy ripped the tip in half and told me when he got his trophy he’d send the other half of the bills!! Lol whaaa????

I’ve never asked for a tip and if one isn’t given I sure ain’t gonna stand there with my hand out waiting for one. I did my job and set my prices, if I think I need more money I can change jobs or charge more. That being said, anything extra tip wise my family has great appreciated, it’s a blessing.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
When I was doing the Guided Javelina hunts in west Texas from 1998 till 2011, in the information I sent folks, I stated that gratuities/tips were not included in the hunt price.

In retrospect, I should not have listed that, because I found out that if I simply did the best I could for my clients, those that appreciated my efforts were going to tip me, and there was always going to be someone that no matter how much effort I put in to getting the client on to an animal, some folks simply do not tip.

That doesn't mean I should not do my best for the next client. it is the clients choice and should remain that way.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A tip IS a gift, its not required, whats your problem, don't you know you paid for the hunt and that's all that is required, the option of a tip is your call nobodys elses and its not required where I work.

We feel that folks are not all heeled the same financially, A $25.00 tip is a lot to some, A $1000 is a token to some, go figure..Ive been in the hunting business way to long to set down a set of rules on tipping..Tip what you can afford and if your strapped make no apology just don't tip and offer your thinks.A tip is a gift. end of story...An outfitter that gets out of sorts over a tip one way or the other, just ain't worth his salt, if he feels such then he should charge more for his hunt as that might be a better solution than whineing like a school girl. Ive told a few just that before I dropped them. Ive also seen some working guides dismissed for making a big to do over how much they were tipped..I think most outfit owners feel the same..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A tip IS a gift, its not required, whats your problem, don't you know you paid for the hunt and that's all that is required, the option of a tip is your call nobodys elses and its not required where I work.

We feel that folks are not all heeled the same financially, A $25.00 tip is a lot to some, A $1000 is a token to some, go figure..Ive been in the hunting business way to long to set down a set of rules on tipping..Tip what you can afford and if your strapped make no apology just don't tip and offer your thinks.A tip is a gift. end of story...An outfitter that gets out of sorts over a tip one way or the other, just ain't worth his salt, if he feels such then he should charge more for his hunt as that might be a better solution than whineing like a school girl. Ive told a few just that before I dropped them. Ive also seen some working guides dismissed for making a big to do over how much they were tipped..I think most outfit owners feel the same..

I think it depends on what the contract says. I have been on some hunts where a tip of 10-15% was part of the contract and I didn't have an issue with it - if I did, I wouldn't book the hunt.

I tip more when I am successful; a lot of folks think I should tip for effort, but in my world, I don't get paid for effort, I get paid for results.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Breaking out and saying that 10-15% is part of contract is BS. Personally, I would never hunt with someone like that. He is just cost shifting more to the hunter to pay for the guide. If you were so inclined to try and operate that way why wouldn't you bury in price or say "tip included". Again, when you book the hunt you are paying for a guide and whatever else is spelled out! A tip, if you even give one is 100% discretionary! I put a lot of these expectations on the hunter as well as the outfitter!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is the guides are making their living in tips. Not my problem, of course, but the observation reflects the outfitters I've used.

It is absolutely cost shifting - off the books.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAR60:
Breaking out and saying that 10-15% is part of contract is BS. Personally, I would never hunt with someone like that. He is just cost shifting more to the hunter to pay for the guide. If you were so inclined to try and operate that way why wouldn't you bury in price or say "tip included". Again, when you book the hunt you are paying for a guide and whatever else is spelled out! A tip, if you even give one is 100% discretionary! I put a lot of these expectations on the hunter as well as the outfitter!

I agree it is horseshit.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodell:
My experience is the guides are making their living in tips. Not my problem, of course, but the observation reflects the outfitters I've used.

It is absolutely cost shifting - off the books.

That's the truth, I guide and outfit a bit, and its not a big money gig. The guys who work for me make a couple hundred dollars a day, spend 50 in gas, and work 12 hour days to get it. We work our balls off for everyone. That being said, its not required, but appreciated. Last client gave us 500 per guy for 12 days of hunting. It was definitely appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My experience is that both the outfitters/guides and their helpers have regular jobs and working in a hunting camp simply brings in some additional income and gives them a chance to do something they enjoy.

From what I have personally witnessed over the time I have been going on guided hunts and offering guided hunts. No One is dependent on tips to make a living.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Names or shut your trap

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Names or shut your trap

????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Names or shut your trap

Just curious Milan but who is that comment directed at?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been an expat for a while now and having the privilege to hunt with guides in the US and abroad. I have some different views and experiences.

First, I think that if an outfit expects more compensation in the form of a tip then they should just increase the price of the hunt and provide better payment to the guide and staff. This especially holds true for owner/operators. If you are an O/O and take 5k for a hunt and then want another $500++ in a tip. Not for me. Save us both the hassle and just raise the price to $5500 and decline my tip if I offer one. You can bet that I will be back to hunt with you and refer all my contacts. Maybe that is just me...?

This is similar to the way things are purchased abroad. You pay the price on the item and that is it. The VAT or commission or whatever is built in and not of your concern. You do not tip for services in most areas of the world.

Being a great client is often refreshing to the guide or outfitter and multiple times I have had a guide hand me my money back and tell me that "my money was no good here" or "they had too much fun to take my money"... These guys have become friends and have had my repeated business. I am always available as a reference for them as well.

I went on a charter fishing trip in Florida a few years back. The crew was late to launch, drank heavily and we caught zero fish... Then the first mate gave me grief as we disembarked because I only gave them a $100 to split between the three of them. That was 20% and they did not deserve it IMO but then to give me grief about it... never again!

We need to get away from the tipping culture. Service provided and payment rendered. Tell me the last time that any of you tipped a car salesman for doing his job and getting you in a car?

Posts: 163 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haverluk:
Having been an expat for a while now and having the privilege to hunt with guides in the US and abroad. I have some different views and experiences.

First, I think that if an outfit expects more compensation in the form of a tip then they should just increase the price of the hunt and provide better payment to the guide and staff. This especially holds true for owner/operators. If you are an O/O and take 5k for a hunt and then want another $500++ in a tip. Not for me. Save us both the hassle and just raise the price to $5500 and decline my tip if I offer one. You can bet that I will be back to hunt with you and refer all my contacts. Maybe that is just me...?

This is similar to the way things are purchased abroad. You pay the price on the item and that is it. The VAT or commission or whatever is built in and not of your concern. You do not tip for services in most areas of the world.

Being a great client is often refreshing to the guide or outfitter and multiple times I have had a guide hand me my money back and tell me that "my money was no good here" or "they had too much fun to take my money"... These guys have become friends and have had my repeated business. I am always available as a reference for them as well.

I went on a charter fishing trip in Florida a few years back. The crew was late to launch, drank heavily and we caught zero fish... Then the first mate gave me grief as we disembarked because I only gave them a $100 to split between the three of them. That was 20% and they did not deserve it IMO but then to give me grief about it... never again!

We need to get away from the tipping culture. Service provided and payment rendered. Tell me the last time that any of you tipped a car salesman for doing his job and getting you in a car?

Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tips should be viewed by both the giver and the receiver as a Token Of Appreciation For Services Rendered, and nothing more.

Things I have learned about tipping in 20 years of guiding hunters.

1. Tips, whether given or not and regardless of the amount given are solely at the discretion of the CLIENT, Period.

That is all that needs to be understood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

Gentlemen, we have a winner!

+1

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually, if the outfitter says we expect you to tip the guide "X" % then you know what the total cost of the hunt is. As rodell said, tips are "off the books." I am sure many guides do not report tips as income.

If you bake in the cost of tips to the overall hunt, it will start the cycle all over again, because some guys will tip on top of that.

I fail to see why you guys are so upset, unless you really want to give a crappy tip. But in the case of the above hunt, I would give a crappy tip if I had a crappy hunt. To me, you have the best of both worlds: the total cost is baked in, but you have an out if you think you got shafted.

But hey, if you want to pay everything up front, be my guest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Novel idea. If you want your car worked on, you pay when the job is completed. You pay after a doctor visit. Eat a meal in a resturant and you pay as you leave. but on a guided hunt, you pay everything up front. Why? Having your money in his pocket, regardless of the outcome, just might not be conducive to best efforts.
stir

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Novel idea. If you want your car worked on, you pay when the job is completed. You pay after a doctor visit. Eat a meal in a resturant and you pay as you leave. but on a guided hunt, you pay everything up front. Why? Having your money in his pocket, regardless of the outcome, just might not be conducive to best efforts.

Not stirring the pot in one bit, merely stating the truth.

This has devolved somewhat into a discussion where clients and guides really do not want to take responsibility for the role they play in the equation.

Some clients come into camp and when partnered up with a guide, will openly tell the guide that their tip depends not only on killing an animal, but if that animal is the biggest one killed on that hunt.

Guides evaluate their possible tip on how much they can suck up to the client.

Both sides are at fault.

My philosophy has always been that to be a guide, first off the desire to be out hunting, either on your own or with a client, should outweigh anything else.

I have always subscribed to the "Guide Not God" idea.

I do everything possible to put a client into a situation to make a kill, but I openly tell them that I have no control over game movement, the quality/quantity of game that will be seen or their ability to hit their own ass with both hands as far as their ability to accurately shoot their rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
stir

I get where you are coming from but remember that hunting is entertainment and thus is more like baseball games, concerts, river rafting, laser tag, movie theaters, sky diving and racing events. You have to pay first to be entertained regardless of who wins or if you like the movie. Tips do give you a little leverage but I think that it can taint the entertainment on occasion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tips do give you a little leverage but I think that it can taint the entertainment on occasion.

And that is exactly the attitude that caused the whole "Tipping" concept to get out of hand and Americans are the most guilty of the situation.

Americans, especially in the larger Metropolitan areas found that if they greased a palm or two, they would get better seats and service at eating establishments/night clubs.

It carried over to other aspects of life/business, because most folks when faced with getting extra $$$ have no problem showing preferential treatment.

It is the concept that a tip/gratuity is Mandatory that has caused the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Tips do give you a little leverage but I think that it can taint the entertainment on occasion.

And that is exactly the attitude that caused the whole "Tipping" concept to get out of hand and Americans are the most guilty of the situation.

Americans, especially in the larger Metropolitan areas found that if they greased a palm or two, they would get better seats and service at eating establishments/night clubs.

It carried over to other aspects of life/business, because most folks when faced with getting extra $$$ have no problem showing preferential treatment.

It is the concept that a tip/gratuity is Mandatory that has caused the problem.

I agree

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
stir

Don't forget about lawyers; they always want to be paid upfront. My IP attorney is an exception; he creates filings, then bills me. Also sends me a huge block of chocolate shaped in their logo every year at Christmas time. Also sends my assistant one, which I appreciate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not according to the lawyers I see advertising while watching late night TV, Smiler And, I understand that corporate lawyers bill quarterly or monthly on the work they have done unless they are actually on the payroll. And too, if you get your lawyers bill and you think he's done a good job, do you slip him an extra 15%? I didn't think so.
While hunting could be considered entertainment, if I merely wanted to see sweeping vistas of golden aspens fluttering in the breeze, I could watch the outdoor channel.

Aim for the exit hole