THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    invited on Colo. mule deer and elk hunt. What rifle and bullet???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

invited on Colo. mule deer and elk hunt. What rifle and bullet???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Gents
I have a friend that has invited me to hunt mule deer and elk on his place in north west Colo in late October. I have a 270, 7x57 and 30-06. I 'm thinking to load up a 150 gr TSX in the formers and 165 gr TSX in the 30-06. Is that adequate medicine for the elk? I've killed nilgai with the 7x57 so I figure any 3 of the rifles will work well. I never use the 270, ever, so it's my least favorite. I love the 7x57 and think it would be great but have no experience with rocky mountain elk. I've shot a couple in Texas.
I bought an older gentlemens reloading stash a few yrs back and LITERALLY have every type of bullet for everyone of these guns
What say you?
Thanks.

I also have a 257 Robts and think that would be cool to use on the mule deer but then would kick myself if I came across a shooter elk and opted for the smaller caliber.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I don't think the elk in Colorado are any tougher than elk in TX. Use the 7x57 & have a ball on the hunt!!

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Any of those will work with proper shot placement, take what you shoot the best with, but I would leave the bob at home myself. If I was picking, the 30-06 would be my choice of those.

Posts: 773 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of them will work but for peace of mind, 30-06 + 180gr Corelokt bullet = dead animals.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry:
That's a good area, still only 5 day seasons far as I know, unless they've changed 'em lately.

I was raised by the "old elk killers" and taught to "never ever use anything less than '06 with 180's as a bare minimum double lung shot or don't shoot at all." I've never had a wounded animal get away yet. I have needed few second shots and two elk had to be finished up with a pistol up close.

Those days bullets were unreliable as could be. These days with the quality we have I'd still go with 180gr '06 and not look back. I would take the others and have them all zeroed for 5" high at 100yds and hold on hair, never over the back line unless you know what you're doing with longer shots. Never know how far game will turn up out here. Might be you've never seen: "the Wide Open" we have out here. Though depending on what part of S. Tx you're in you might know about that already.

Wasbeeman: I differ with you on core loks. Even though well over a million elk have been killed with them and I've shot my share with them. I had 'one' blow up on a cows ribs at 200yds in 2000. Since then I've gone with 200gr Game Kings. Am sure it was just a fluke bad bullet as I'd loaded 500 in one batch as 9 of us in the same camp use the .300Win/m. Hell of it is, I know of 5 elk killed within 50 yds and well over 60 head total from the same batch and not another failure. It don't take but ONCE for me to get real concerned about such things.

Perry:
I wish you well with your hunt and hope to read about it here.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
If I were in your situation, I'd have to choose between a 6.5x55, a .300 WSM, and a .338 Win Mag. I'd go with the .300 shooting my favorite 150 grain Barnes TTSX. I've killed two bull oryx with that combo, and they're tougher than elk in my experience. So, I guess I'd recommend the good ol' ought six, but if you're shooting Barnes I'd drop down to 150s and push them hard for a nice flat-shooting, hard-hitting round.

Have fun!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Bring what you shoot best. All will work with proper placement.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Any of the rifles you mentioned will work fine for Elk.
Use the rifle you shoot the best and practice shooting from field positions.
When killing Elk make sure you keep shooting until their hooves are in the air. I've seen people shoot then lower their rifle to admire their shot as the Elk runs off. Don't expect them to suck their legs up and fall on the spot like a deer.
I've seen elk killed with .243's on up to .338's and all work about the same if shot well, sometimes elk just need another shot no matter what rifle you have in your hands.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
As others have said, all will work if the shot is placed properly, the .30-06 will have a slight advantage IMO, due to bullet weight and diameter.

There are no flies on any of them.

Take two and if you get an elk early in the hunt with the .30-06, use the 7x57 on the mulie.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I 'm thinking to load up a 150 gr TSX in the formers and 165 gr TSX in the 30-06.

In some jurisdictions you are forced to use a monometal (non-lead) bullet by law. That's the only reason I can see for using one. A lead core bullet like Nosler Partition or Accubond would give me greater confidence, but many other lead core bullets would also perform well.

Any of the calibers you mention will adequately take an elk (likely even using a monometal bullet), but the .30-06 provides a little more margin.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
I 'm thinking to load up a 150 gr TSX in the formers and 165 gr TSX in the 30-06.

In some jurisdictions you are forced to use a monometal (non-lead) bullet by law. That's the only reason I can see for using one. A lead core bullet like Nosler Partition or Accubond would give me greater confidence, but many other lead core bullets would also perform well.

Any of the calibers you mention will adequately take an elk (likely even using a monometal bullet), but the .30-06 provides a little more margin.

Here we go again, you puking garbage about a topic you have zero experience in. Wasn't it match bullets in a pervious elk thread about the 300 Win Mag that give the best accuracy?

The TSX or TTSX work exceptionally well on elk. Of the elk I've killed with the above bullets in 7mm and .308 caliber, I prefer to aim for the off side shoulder, which often means running the bullet thru the on-side shoulder. I've yet to catch a bullet from the 300 Win Mag, but did catch one 120 gr TTSX from a 7mm-08 used on a cow a few years back.

I'd likely pick the rifle I favor the most, shoots accurate, head to the mountains of Colorado and have a great time.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry,

As others have said shoot what you shot best. I will tell you though that I made a non-lethal shot on bull elk a few years ago. On the follow up I had dead straight away shot. The 180 TSX went stern to stem and he just piled. I'd choose the '06.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
My choice would be your 270 with 150g Partitions or your 30-06 shooting good 180g bullets. Any of them will kill deer and elk with good shot placement including the 257 Roberts.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 with 165s or 180s!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Perry,

As others have said shoot what you shot best. I will tell you though that I made a non-lethal shot on bull elk a few years ago. On the follow up I had dead straight away shot. The 180 TSX went stern to stem and he just piled. I'd choose the '06.

Mark

There's just one way that a 180 grain .30 caliber bullet can go "stem to stern" on an elk, and that is to expand little or none. Millions of head of big game have been killed with Full Metal non-expanding bullets (and, sadly, millions more men). There is no question that such bullets, whether their lack of expansion is due to having a full metal jacket or being a hard monometal, will kill animals -- eventually. And look on the bright side: They don't spoil much meat (because they inflict less trauma.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Perry,

Mark

There's just one way that a 180 grain .30 caliber bullet can go "stem to stern" on an elk, and that is to expand little or none. Millions of head of big game have been killed with Full Metal non-expanding bullets (and, sadly, millions more men). There is no question that such bullets, whether their lack of expansion is due to having a full metal jacket or being a hard monometal, will kill animals -- eventually. And look on the bright side: They don't spoil much meat (because they inflict less trauma.)

You have heard of bonded bullets haven't you?!!! You also are aware that full metal jacketed bullets have been illegal for big game in most jurisdictions for a long time haven't you?!

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
The 30-06 with 165s or 180s!

Yup. Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
30-06 and 165's of your choices is my pick.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was young I used light for caliber bullets, but as I get older, heavy is the way to do. I would not use anything less than a 180 in an 06. There is nothing a 165 can do that a 180 can't do better. The only reason would be a difference in accuracy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

Wasbeeman: I differ with you on core loks. Even though well over a million elk have been killed with them and I've shot my share with them. I had 'one' blow up on a cows ribs at 200yds in 2000. Since then I've gone with 200gr Game Kings. Am sure it was just a fluke bad bullet as I'd loaded 500 in one batch as 9 of us in the same camp use the .300Win/m. Hell of it is, I know of 5 elk killed within 50 yds and well over 60 head total from the same batch and not another failure. It don't take but ONCE for me to get real concerned

George

If one had failed for me, we'd be in the same boat. In truth, there are so many excellent bullets available that if one is just starting out, it would be very hard to pick one. My only contribution is I'm a born again believer in heavy for calibre bullets.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Perry,

Mark

I would be interested to know how much hands on experience you have with mono-metal bullets(Barnes-X, GMX, etc.).

It has been my experience that the solid copper(or alloy) expanding bullets kill "better" than cup and core bullets. The wound channel with the solid copper expanding bullets seems to do more damage for its entire length as opposed to cup and core bullets that seem to expend most of their energy upon impact then do less damage for the rest of their journey.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of your choices will be fine. Bring 2 guns to be safe. Are they all wood/blued, synthetic, or a mix? If it's a mix, real simple, 1 wood 1 plastic. It could be nasty weather, it could be 65 degrees.

165 in the 06 is fine, I've used a 165 launched from an 06, 300 wsm and 300 wby on elk, all died promptly. If using TSX, you'd be fine with 130 gr 270 or 140 gr 7mm.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last elk I killed in Colorado was a cow at approximately 190 yards. Admittedly I spined her with a 168 grain Barnes TSX, but she never moved, except DOWN at the shot!

Why the HELL can't people understand that ALL of us have had different experiences, and there is NO, One Size Fits ALL when it comes to shooting Elk, Bulls or Cows!!!!!!!!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
The last elk I killed in Colorado was a cow at approximately 190 yards. Admittedly I spined her with a 168 grain Barnes TSX, but she never moved, except DOWN at the shot!

Why the HELL can't people understand that ALL of us have had different experiences, and there is NO, One Size Fits ALL when it comes to shooting Elk, Bulls or Cows!!!!!!!!

What would we talk about if everyone agreed?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would we talk about if everyone agreed?

To me it isn't so much a case of agreeing or disagreeing, as it is a case of some folks claiming that the way they have killed an animal is the ONLY one that works.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:
Perry,

Mark

I would be interested to know how much hands on experience you have with mono-metal bullets(Barnes-X, GMX, etc.).

It has been my experience that the solid copper(or alloy) expanding bullets kill "better" than cup and core bullets. The wound channel with the solid copper expanding bullets seems to do more damage for its entire length as opposed to cup and core bullets that seem to expend most of their energy upon impact then do less damage for the rest of their journey.

Stem to stern is not hard to do with a monometal. Anecdote: While tracking a hard-hit red hartebeest through the brush in Namibia, the tracker and I kicked him up. By the time I had a clear shot at him, he was at about 200 yards heading straight away. I put a 225 grain Barnes TSX about an inch right of his bunghole. The skinners recovered that bullet just under the hide at the base of the neck (brisket area). It had penetrated the full hartebeest and expanded so perfectly it could be used in Barnes advertising literature. I have several other TSXs or TTSXs that have penetrated FEET of critter and came out looking great. They are the exception though; usually Barnes exit after wreaking much internal havoc. And since I like bleeding exit wounds, I opt for them more times than not.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt ranges are long..I prefer the .338 with 225 gr. Nosler Accubonds for elk..

In your case sounds like the 30-06 is in order and keep shots under 300 yards, and 200 yards is better..I like the 200 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partition on elk in my 30-06 and the 180s work as well..

I basically had my fill of too light rifle on elk growing up, everyone used 25-35s, 30-30s a few 30-40 and 300 Savages, they worked but only if you kept the ranges reasonable for the caliber.

The 7x57 is my favorite caliber, light of recoil and fine for elk up to about 200 to 250 yards with the 175 gr. patition, but the elk make more tracks after a hit with light calibers has been my experience and often require more hits, and that has included the 30-06 in my experinces..

With my .338 Win, so far, they have never made a more than a 25 or 30 yard run and left good blood trails. Saves me a lot of grief, but to each his own on that.

Elk hunting is expensive and time consuming these days, not to mention hard, when the window of opertunity presents itself being well prepared equates to success, so shoot all the gun you can handle recoil wise, isn't bad advise.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am a big fan of TSX's. My sons and I have used them exclusively in all our rifles (7mm, .270, .30-06, .300 WSM and .375 H&H) for the last 15 years now on pronghorn, whitetail, muleys, elk, caribou and African plainsgame. I can't recall one animal we ever lost. I'm sure there are non-monometal bullets that work as well but I prefer them because we eat and butcher ourselves everything we shoot. I have experienced far less meat loss with TSX's.

As to the OP's question of cartridge, my family has shot well in excess of 100 muleys and elk with both .270 and .30-06. I myself prefer the .30-06, though.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed elk with both a .270 and a .7mm (although the 7mm was a Wby Mag). Both are great cartridges with the correct bullet placement and the right bullet.

I would take the one with which you are most comfortable and shoot the most accurately.

Shots may be close (within 15 yds) or long 250+ yds, so be thoroughly familiar with the ballistics of whatever you use.

If you have any doubts about hitting or shot placement an 06 with heavier bullets might give you a slight edge (especially over the 7x57), when taking shoulder shots at longer ranges, but for a decent rifleman, I don't think it is as important as having the right bullet. JMO of course!

Good luck!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote