Notify
Tools

The Consequences
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Bit of background:

So my son, who is 54 yrs. old, had been driving a delivery truck for Walmart in a new program they were testing in the Phoenix area. A few months ago, he wound up having surgery on his shoulder, and his down time exceeded what Walmart allowed. So as of a couple weeks ago, he was out of work and has been looking.

Now fast forward to last week. He came over the other day and told me I had to go online and delete any photo or mention of him on any of the hunting forums I'm active in. Naturally I asked him why.

Seems he had applied for a job and the guy doing the hiring really liked his resume. So he called him in for interview that would have taken place two days later.

However, the next day he called again and told my son, "I did an online search on your name and see you're into killing innocent animals. Because of that, I can't hire you."

He was right about the search. I put my son's name in google and the first thing at the top of the page were photos of him with dead critters. Several other hits led to others, as well.

Folks, there are some nutty people out and about.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read that. It is a sign of Americas and the worlds changing views concerning hunters/hunting, and also in the way companies can legally use prejudicial hiring practices. Hope he finds something soon. One possibility, and this is pure supposition, but at your sons age, the person could be using the "Hunting" angle, to skirt around age discrimination.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for your sons situation, I however will not be making any changes.
I feel like hunters are not in the minority but people who are outspoken against hunting are just that more outspoken and organized about their efforts.
By deleting Facebook accounts and not posting "dead animal pictures" to the internet it will still be years if not forever before those pictures fall off the radar.
The best thing he can do in that situation is take the opportunity to represent hunters and the conservation aspect to the uninformed.
Even the state of Colorado which is becoming ever more left has commercials saying "hug a hunter" and giving a very brief explanation of the dollars and cents of license fees and support for game and non game species in the state.
It is who we are we should not run and hide from it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
One possibility, and this is pure supposition, but at your sons age, the person could be using the "Hunting" angle, to skirt around age discrimination.

He knew his age before he called to set up the interview. So that's an unlikely reason.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the hell would he even consider working for someone like that?There are plenty jobs where wether you are a hunter or not is of no consideration.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are most likely correct.

But just some food for thought, is/was the person doing the interview/hiring, the actual owner of the company or simply a Personnel Manager/Human Resources Manager?

However having been part of the hiring process before, several times I had people come in for interviews, they had really good resumes and I would have hired them on the spot, but the Personnel Manager/Human Resources Manager would scrutinize such things as age, and find ways to turn down an applicant in a manner that could not really be viewed as age or sex discrimination.

quote:
Seems he had applied for a job and the guy doing the hiring really liked his resume. So he called him in for interview that would have taken place two days later.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The world of the internet and social media are the new way of life. In this case it is unfortunate, but I do not know of a single company that does not search Facebook, Twitter and the other sites when considering new employees. There are way too many young people stupid enough to put the last pot party pictures on Facebook (Colorado or not).

I would never hire a person without that sort of search. Do I care whether they are hunters or not? Not if it does not interfere with their work or potentially client visible work space. No PETA signs in your visible office, or political for that matter.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Have your son go up to Prescott Valley and talk to Ace Hardware. They have their distribution center there and need some competent drivers.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
A company that makes hiring decisions based based on a person being a hunter (or doing other legal things for that matter) on their off-time is simply not worth working for. Hard times or not. Even if the online pictures didn't exist the job probably would not have lasted very long since the management makes such irrational or emotionally charged decisions.

If a company wants or needs you, they'll overlook a lot of things to get or keep you.
If they don't want or need you, they'll look for anything as an excuse to get rid of you.

This is another of 100's of reasons not to have a Facebook, Twitter or other social media account.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the idea is any company can refuse to hire someone, or fire anyone working for them, due to "Just Cause" which translates out to "Just Cause They Can"!!!!

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
That's a badge of honor, good for him. F em

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My boss asked for pictures of me with guns and dead stuff for the website .
But I work as a gunsmith

M

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, social media means more to some people than weather or not they can do the job. For that reason I've stayed off of most of it, and those forums that I'm on I don't use my full name. I'm not afraid of anyone on the forums having my name, but I'm afraid of what google will return.

I've been warned since the days of "my space" to be careful what I post online. I'm retiring from the Army Reserves in April, and they search social media to make sure sensitive info isn't being leaked by soldiers or their families. My employer BNSF also searches social media sites for employees posting things they shouldn't. People can not only miss hiring opportunities but they can also loose jobs based on what they post online.

IMO social media is a necessary evil for a lot of people, especially those self employed. Most business these days are first searched for on social media. However, it's best to keep your personal life private on line. So lock your personal profiles down tighter than Fort Knox in my opinion.

I also think that it's probably a job environment that your son probably wouldn't enjoy if he had been hired. I do wish him well in his job search, and hope his unemployment doesn't last long. If he has a CDL I can't imagine him being without a job for long.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about your son. That's just horrible.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
This may not be a popular opinion but I have never let that stop me before.

I like the old days of "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" Basically, this is the same IMO.

While I disagree 100% with not hiring Tony's son based on this reason, I think they have the right.

But I also think you shouldn't have to make a cake for just anyone either

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Right To Refuse Service concept, but I do not agree with discrimination in hiring.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Has your son considered re-applying at Walmart, and asking for the opportunity to explain why his recovery time exceeded the company's limit?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
What was the name of the company?

It would seem to me that everyone her should know who we shouldn't be doing business with.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
What was the name of the company?

It would seem to me that everyone her should know who we shouldn't be doing business with.

My thoughts exactly. Let's hear it so we can be sure to boycott it.

I make it a point to tell my employees their political beliefs etc. have no bearing on what we think of them. We all have the freedom of choice. I have a few employees who are pretty left of center, but they have the right to their own set of beliefs. My consolation is that they make a lot of money for me that I can spend on hunting and guns.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Folks, there are some nutty people out and about.

Detestable. I'd think about letting his boss in on the joke, or maybe just walk away thankful that I'd dodged the bullet.
I'd hate to have my future dependent on that kind of dingbat.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Have him tell the hiring moron that all the animals were guilty.

I helped one of the Board of Directors for my company assemble his AR-15 lower receiver. I trade hunting photos with our COO and our CEO has invited me to his hunting lease.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I grew up in an area and environment where I had to or at least was inclined to hide and be apologetic for my interest in guns and hunting. I lived like that until I was just less than 30. What a way to grow up and live, apologizing, hiding and being less than fully truthful about yourself, interests and hobbies.

No more. Now and for the last couple decades I live and call home a region that is very comfortable with Facebook pages of taken game, emails and internet posts of guns and ammo, shared digital media of blood, fur, fins and feathers.

I have a Facebook and Instagram account and in both cases I do not post hunting or gun photos. Its not that I have anything to hide, but the purpose of both accounts is singularly professional, (sport fishing guiding,) and I do not want to clutter the message with anything other than guided fishing. Yes I have posted a few pictures of moose, sunrises, snow, mountains and my new daughter, but I don't believe that distracts from my fishing message, so I think its ok.

I'll never again permanently reside in a neighborhood that punishes me in any way shape or form for enjoying hunting and being a firearm owner. I think most could make the same choice if so inclined. Lawyers and doctors can find gainful employment in North Dakota or Montana. Teachers and Professors can work in Wyoming or Maine. Theres good hunting to be had in Alaska from Ketchikan to Barrow, Tok to Bethel. Lots of good jobs too.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote