THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What do you think of this guys deer processing?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this guys deer processing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
https://youtu.be/a2bo23n16tI
What do you think about this guys deer processing?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Works

Posts: 19503 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
[]
What do you think about this guys deer processing?

It seemed wasteful. And I can’t understand his reliance on the sawzall. Maybe he doesn’t have a way to sharpen his knives?

And I’m not knocking the way his does things. I learned a bit from the video. I guess I just don’t like the shortcuts(what I perceive as shortcuts).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general it is the way we like to pack out our caribou except we leave the skin on to protect the meat from the flies when the weather is warm, we use this method where weight matters since we are using pack frames to haul out the animals that are sometimes shot at a considerable range from the camp we fly out from.
Is it wasteful, I would have to say that you do loose some meat but not much, you are deboning the meat for the most part. The area where he looses all the meat is from the shoulders forward, we love the whole front end from the shoulder forward, the neck is a fantastic tasting cut of meat and he threw the whole thing away.
bb

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted on a ranch in South Texas last year and this is how they did it there. Pretty impressive to see guys who do it everyday and I would guess it was done in less than ten minutes.
This won't work in Vermont as we're required to check a deer in after it's been gutted.

Posts: 584 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the neck is a fantastic tasting cut of meat and he threw the whole thing away.

I use to love the neck roast.

But with CWD I just debone it for hamburger.

Not wanting to cook any of the spinal cord.

Posts: 19503 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It says "in 10 minutes". But by the time he gets it home and strung up it is dark. I dont think that was 10 minutes after the kill. I always gut mine on the spot and then get the hide off asap as opposed to allowing the carcass to hold in its heat and blood. Not gutting it out for what seems like potentially hours seems really lazy.

Posts: 10161 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The neck is a favorite cut and is easy pull-off the carcass boneless.

As for the video, it seems like some waste and leaving the hot blood inside for longer than necessary is a no from me. To each their own though.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
the neck is a fantastic tasting cut of meat and he threw the whole thing away.

I use to love the neck roast.

But with CWD I just debone it for hamburger.

Not wanting to cook any of the spinal cord.

Just debone the neck in 2 sections, then you can cook together in the crock pot or have 2 separate roasts. I too stopped cooking spinal cords after I learned of CWD, but boneless neck roast is just as good as bone-in imo. I have one thawing right now for this week.

I process my own stuff and usually end up with about 5 pounds of burger per deer...or 15ish pounds per elk. I do end up with a lot of cubed meat i can use for stir fry type dishes, or i can grind later if i want more ground.

Looks like in the video the guy also tossed the forearm shanks. These are some of the best pieces of meat on the animal. Osso Bucco from shanks is my wife's favorite game meat meal. I have converted a lot of people to never throwing them away again. Look up Meateater osso bucco recipe.

Posts: 781 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that was excellent

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer should not be exposed to a saw, the bone powder and marrow contaminates the meat IMO..I bone out the back straps, hind quarters for steaks, the shoulders and neck for chili meat and Carne con Chili Colorado, and stew..I trim all silverskin, fat and grissel for the dog...lean deer meat is as good as it gets, but only if preped properly..Its been handed down thru the generations in my family..I don't care for venison hamburger, I have elk for that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42062 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote