Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate deer hunting cartridge
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Had a customer email this link to read, I find it strange to be called a cut and paste writer? I just learned that a year ago. For the last 20 some years I have been doing as written in my article. Many of my customers tell me stories of how a one shot kill did as I suggested. Next time someone has posted a link to a story or article I suggest someone contact the writer. After building many benchrest rifles and hunting rifles I have learned many things. Sharing the results of such test with others is a sharing of findings. Publisher of the magazine ask me to write this information to share with his readers. I own nothing of the bullet Co. or the rifle Co. Im a hunter and love of hunting caused me to be placed in a postion of testing many things. Yes I have shot many deer using 243 Winchester and the best killer I have seen is the 85 Sierra HPBT. After a few hundred deer I think I can call it a "true test". Largest weight deer I have shot is dressed weight 197lbs. and 12 points. Have shot larger racks but none heavier. Was shot in dead of winter and hair thick. Shot caught the front shoulder on the way out and exit was about 1 3/4 inches in diameter. It was 200 yards or so and dropped with out a step. Reading of why not magnums and many other suggestions, I have shot deer wit hmost everything I can think of. Benchguns in 6ppc and many test of longer range using 30-378 Weatherby Magnum. 150 Nosler balistic tip bullet near 3800 FPS. it does kill great. I tested this rifle for a customer. He had used Wea. ammo and had problems of loosing deer and no blood trail to track the deer. The change over to the 150 changed this. I know none of the posters of this board as the names are not familier to me. If none of you know me why in the world would you make such statements. If you really read the article my statement is not to say that the 243 or the 338 is the best choice, the intent is that most hunters use a bullet having a jacket too thick to expand in the body of most whitetails.
In my area the houses are closing in fast, and in many of the areas of the eastern time zone. The use of a bullet with the design to work on animinals 3 times the size of a whitetail causes many things. One is the loss of the animinal, the other is the bullet traveling and hitting things it need not and third is the excessive recoil that make some shooters have issue shooting. There is a person in every group that kills tier deer using a bullet and chambering of choice and thinking it is the answer for all. If my choices are not yours I respect your choice. Im sharing the results of many years of shooting many things that do not work and finding the choice I TESTED to work the best. I do like the cut and paste, and being more familier with the guns and machine shop tools gave me a lacking in the Computer world. Im learning. and for those writers of a better way of surfing the web or posting a article I promise not to bash your finding or suggestions just becasue my hunt and peck typing works best for me. I have attached a email of my customer, Is a true emailing and thanks to the copy paste I was able to place it in this message with out typing it over.
Respectfully submitted
Bill Truitt of Bill's Accuracy Shop
Building Dreams, What's yours? :

BILL

USED YOUR 444 LOADS ON THIS BLACK BEAR. ONE SHOT KILLED 235 LB BEAR 25
FEET UP A TREE. SO FAR IT'S BEEN ONE SHOT ON AN ELK, ONE SHOT ON A BUFFALO,
AND NOW ONE SHOT ON THIS BEAR. I'M GOING BUFFALO HUNTING AGAIN IN NOV. I
THINK I'LL JUST GIVE HIM BOTH BARRELS TO MAKE SURE THE SECOND BARREL WORKS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THESE BULLITS

DAN DEVAULT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building Dreams, What's yours?

Posts: 15 | Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to venture a guess I would say more deer are killed with a 22lr than any other two cartridges put together especially in MI. The 22lr even killed one of the largest browns bears on record. But it doesn't make it a good deer cartridge. The ultimate will be larger than 6mm depending on the range and thats just my opinion from someone who used to butcher deer and kill on farm permits. The 270 is extremely popular and its hard not to find a gas station north of Bay city that doesn't have a box of 270 somewhere along with the '06

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Doc is right about ones on opinion even if I or we do'nt agree . So here is my on. The 243 is and more than likely always will be a gun used for deer by someone .
Heck I do'nt know how many deer I have taken with a 243 but I will tell you this
it is a lot for 40 + years that I have hunted. Do I use one now NO! , but not because
I feel it wo'nt take a deer clean. I think it was a learning thing they just were not
made for deer. And I am sure all of us know someone , heard of someone are maybe
you have your self taken deer with a 22 , very wrong indeed but it has been done.
I am sorry for the deer because they deserve our best , not some acorn head .
So with all that said he or she that likes the 243 use it wisely learn your gun but
more inportant learn what you can do with it and know yourself. But for me I now
have fell in love with my 300wsm after going with so many others in my case a old dog
can learn a new trick. Thank each of you for letting me have my on opinion .

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally have never used a 243 win on deer. Having said that, I would feel comfortable doing so. Over the years I have had the opportunity to take several whitetails with everything from 25/06, 30/06, 308, 7mm rem mag, 260 rem, and 300 win mag. The most dramatic kills I have made were with the 25/06 and 100 gr ballistic tip and the 7mm rem mag pushing 120 gr ballistic tips. Did the other calibers work? Afraid so. Deer are relatively easy to take down. However, I do believe there is some truth to the theory that increased velocity results in quicker and more humane kills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc:

I had not planned to weigh in on this discussion (I have personally seen white tails dropped with everything from a .22 centerfire on up and no two circumstances the same). I laughed out loud at your line that you didn't want the deer to move AT ALL after a hit. (your emphasis). Them's my sentiments,too! ( I never thought I was good enough to track deer in our northeast woods. Fact) That made me careful with shots.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.358 Win.
short action guns
very accurate cartridge
eat right up to the hole and good to 300 yds
as well as
able to drop anything on four legs you will find in North America with the 250gr Speer.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ultimate deer cartridge oh...

how about just about anything between 257 roberts and 35 Whelen

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CORNERSTONE
posted Hide Post
SW Pa I would say .308 Win for the woods & fields

Thanks,
ED

Posts: 148 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote