THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    WHY HANDGUNS CARTRIDGES IN A RIFLE????
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY HANDGUNS CARTRIDGES IN A RIFLE????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Slamhound,

Very good reply. I have learnt something and I'm happy for that.

To close the chapter .45 Colt loads, I have found smth very interresting on that.

From Big Bores Sixguns book by John Taffin.

There is 3 levels of .45 Colt loads.

Level one :Colt New frontier and S&W Model 25
For these a 260 ge bullet at 1050 feet per second in the main course. It kills all out of proportion to its paper ballistics ans will penetrate deer completely on broadside shots.

Level two : we have the .44 magnum frame size .45 Colts, the Ruger Blackwak and Bisley, the Texas Longhorn Arms Improved Number Five and Flat-Top Target, the Colt Anaconda and the Dan Wesson. For these sixguns, a 300 ge bullet at 1200 feet per second muzzle velocity puts us into the largergema category. For this load level I prefer 21.5 gr of either H110 or WW296. Loading manuals go to 23 gr with jacketed bullets, so I feel perfectly safe with cast bullets and 1-1/2 gr less powder.

Level three : find us with the five-shot custom sixgub built on Ruger Blackhawks and Biseleys by sixgunsmiths such as Hamilton Bowen, David Clements, john Linebaugh and jim Stroh. All of these men are masters at building customs sixguns. With these sixguns built in th fivegun persuasion, .45 Colt loads with either 260 or 300 gr bullets at 1500 feet per second are easily and safely attained.

Hope this can help you.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bstogsdill>
posted
I just got a MDL94 Legacy in 357 mag to target shoot and to hunt deer,coyote, ferral dog in a small woods. It is quiter and does not have the range a high powered rifle has, which makes it perfect for this area. I can hit a heck of a lot further with the rifle than the revolver.

I like to have some CHALLENGE to my hunt! I would hope to brag on myself as MUCH as possible and my gun as LITTLE as possible.

It is cheap to target shoot, light carrying, and my 11 and 13 year old and wife can handle it.

It will kill anything that I can hit as far as I can see in the woods, which is generally 25-50 yards and sometimes 75 yards.

I load 180 gn hard cast gas check bullets and 2400 powder (17 cents) to hunt. I use 158 gn swaged cowboy bullets and bulleye (7 cents)to target shoot.

I got a bolt action 30-06 with scope but I have hunted with for over 15 years and have yet to shoot a deer over 40 yards away. Shells are expensive, also. It is sighted at 200 yards. Maybe some day I will go out west on a hunt where it would be needed, for maybe a 200 yard shot.

IF I saw a wild hog or alligator, though, The .30-06 would be the rifle I grab first.

I get a bigger kick out of open sight shooting plates and pop up metal targets rather than measuring group sizes with calipers.

Anyway, MY problem, by which I was referred to this post, but could not find an answer is: BAD news - THE NEW MDL 94 JAMS. Does anybody no how to adjust the timing of action, or is this a factory job? Please help.

My 2 cents

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slamhound the real problem is that morter like trajectory at long distance not lack of penetration. I've busted rocks at hundreds of yards with 44Mag and 45 Colt handguns but animals aren't rocks. I like game animals under 25yds if I can arrange it. I use open sights mostly, but have a 2x on my 454Casull. Even with it I prefer the animal under 100 yards. In any case, I agree with you. At any range you shoot the problem won't be lack of penetration with hard cast lead bullets.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote