THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Headed to Yellowstone in May to hike, 357 mag, 9mm, 10mm, 44 mag??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headed to Yellowstone in May to hike, 357 mag, 9mm, 10mm, 44 mag??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get caught by Federal Agents or any park official then you have broken the law, you will be arrested and taken before a federal judge in the nearest city, placed on bond and placed in jail to await trial, you committed a federal law.

You can tell the judge or magistrate what you were told AR!! I would love to sit in on that trial, it would be a hoot.

As for me I don't go where I cant carry and shoot or get far from my pickup! but be advised if you do shoot a griz in Utah, Wyoming, or Idaho your next six months are ruined, your lawyers will seek all your money and the government and state will clean up the rest., it ain't a pretty sight..beats gett'n eit I suppose.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but the Law was changed went into effect. 2/22/2010

It is state pacific.

https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn...n-national-parks.htm

Firearms in National Parks

The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010.

Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws that apply

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.

From the yellow stone park web site.

https://www.yellowstonepark.co...guns-in-yellowstone/

Can I Bring a Gun to Yellowstone?

Yes, you can carry a gun in Yellowstone. But it's illegal to fire it - even in self defense. And once you exit Yellowstone, you could be in one of three states, so it's important to know the law.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Shooting a grizzly anywhere in the lower 48 is a last resort. But better to face the judge than have your face ripped off.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Shooting a grizzly anywhere in the lower 48 is a last resort. But better to face the judge than have your face ripped off.

Over the years many stated or seem to have stated.

That they would rather be involved with shooting a human in self-defense.

Or that being involved in a person on person self-defense situation. Would be preferable to being involved in a human, bear self-defense act.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of the law change, but apparently it has yet to be tested and that could go to the high court..If I ever shoot a griz in Yellowstone, I will just walk to my pickup, burn my shoes, go home and hide in my barn until the next civil war..If a fish kept his mouth shut, he would never get caught! old beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was not aware of the law change, but apparently it has yet to be tested

Don't know what you mean by tested. But firearms have been used in a couple of parks in self-defense against bears.

There has been two bear shooting since this law went into effect. One in Glacier in in Denali. The one in Glacier had the charges dismissed. The one in Denali I don't think charges were filed. https://www.nationalparkstrave...ark-and-preserve5943 https://www.spokesman.com/blog...oter-case-dismissed/ Here is a warning shot in grand Teton NP No.24 Can not determine if any charges were filed https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...-cases-97-effective/

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
When I was in Big Bend NP in 2016, they had no issue with carrying or firing for self-defense. we asked.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote