THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Favorite Calif Hunting Spots for Black-tailed Deer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Calif Hunting Spots for Black-tailed Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Well really this is just a couple of photos of the places I prefer to hunt!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here are some of my favorite California areas:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Great photos. I cut my teeth hunt Black Tail in Oregon...they are quite the chalenge. Is it difficult to get a tag to hunt in CA? I would guess that they get a lot of pressure.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it difficult to get a tag to hunt in CA?

Nope, not for the B zones which are the best black-tail areas, and you're allowed two bucks and you can hunt the rifle and archery seasons in any of the B zones with the same tags.

CA DFG Deer Management

And there's lot's of USFS and BLM land to hunt on. Plus bear season opens with deer season and the early mountain quail season and grouse seasons are right in there too.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Castle C. looking from the east side of Interstate 5 back at the Monument?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
333_OKH, is that private or public land your pictures portray?? Sure is pretty!

Do you hunt by glassing the parks, or do you need to hunt BT in the woods??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Most of what you see is PUBLIC lands in my photos.

I change my techniques to the terrain....I prefer walking the outer boundaries of these open areas taking my time and scoping it really well. The Castle C comment of mine was for the Fjold pictures..thats what appears to be his pics. If you want to find the big guys, you will need to go deep and away ffrom the beaten path....like some of my photos.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The first picture of mine is actually in mule deer territory about 20 miles above Johnsondale, east of Bakersfield.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Like around the Piutes and Split Mountains?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Totally Public Lands!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
sonoma coastal range for boar!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Like around the Piutes and Split Mountains?

Yep

Frank

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
333_okh

Looks like some of your photos are from the area on the east side of Redwood National Park, some from the Eel River area around Covelo, and some from just north and west of Weaverville.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
You got Covelo right, but the others are along Highway 36 and another near Eel Rock on the Eel River.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
333 you have a PM.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look's like an ideal place to have elk transplanted there!

I wonder why the state of California never had transplants of elk even though California has a small population of Tule elk?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FJOLD, I know where that place is. I've hunted that part of the Sierra for years. Killed a 400 pound Black bear in Peppermint Canyon area, several years ago. That's a few miles north east of Johnsondale.

I bought a vacation home in Panorama Park, Tulare County, above Posey, in 1969, and kept it until 2000. That is the only thing I miss about Calif.

333OKH, speaking of the Eel River, I killed a 300 pound Black bear just north of the Eel River, Shasta County, in 1972.

Those pictures bring back many memories.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Great Pics... anyone hunt the Arroyo Grande / Central Coast area?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have to admitt it all looks great on a day like today with all of the rain. Time to go searching for pigs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
I do some deer hunting around here.
You know the area?

Posts: 96 | Location: Arroyo Grande, Ca. | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Lompoc, so all of my hunting as a kid was from Point Conception up to Vandenburg AFB. And east out toward Cuyama and the Los Padres National Forest.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
Many years ago (27 now that I calculate it!) I hunted on what was at the time Huasna Cattle Co. land up Huasna Rd out of Arroyo Grande. I shot K's of ground squirrels and lots of hogs and a few of deer. The quail hunting was unbelievable. Small world.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
OK, HunterMT, the world just got even smaller. My best friend in the wide world left Bozeman 1.5 years ago and moved to Arroyo Grande... he owns 430 acres on Huasna rd (with access to another 400) and I've a standing invite to go kill pigs... go figure!