New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boycott REI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Years ago I was a big REI customer; still pick up a few things here and there, but those days are ending.

REI announced they are not going to buy anything from Vista Outdoors, just because they sell firearms. (Note: Vista announced they will be selling Savage Arms.)

I think REI has underestimated how many hunters have bought their goods over the years.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I dropped into REI a couple years ago to look at packs.

As the store employee was fitting me she asked why I was buying a pack?

I responded "Hunting"

She imediatly walked away and moments later another employee asked if I needed any help?

I replied that a young lady was fitting me.....the second employee told me that she would not be assisting me any longer and he was at my disposal.

I allowed him to fit me but did not and will not spend any money there.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Anyone care to clue the clueless in on who or what REI is?????????

I have never heard of them.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outdoor store. Hiking, camping and such. Made news by not opening day after thanksgiving. Too much like tree huggers for me. Went in the one in Austin once, never again! I ain't climbing a mountain unless its after elk!

Posts: 724 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Anyone care to clue the clueless in on who or what REI is?????????

I have never heard of them.

Same here Randall!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ain't climbing a mountain unless its after elk!

I got broke of that habit after about a dozen trips, because I do not EVER remember being in on dragging a bull down hill!

That is why after I killed my little 5x5 bull, I went to putting in for late season cow tags.

Dead elk in a hay meadow you can drive up to and load is a HELL of a lot easier on the back and them antlers don't even make decent gravy!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, I did ONCE!
Shot a cow up a steep hillside. Went up and barely tugged on an ear and down she went in 20" of snow nearly halfway down the 200yards. I'd left my truck running and ran up on the bank to get a rest. Other guys came along and told me to come move the truck. I hollered back: "it's running, drive it up just under me". One did.

Second tug she slid down the hill and hit the back tire. 5 or 6 guys were there by then. I asked 'em: "you guys give me a hand to load her up, no place here to dress her out". SLICK as could be, more hands than I ever saw tossed her in.

I drove around the mountain where a bunch of others ambushed the big herd. Dead elk all over the place. I told some guys: "you help me and I'll help you". We dressed out 5 all within 75 feet or so.

There was so many elk killed I was feeling sorry for them. 13 in all, including mine and a truck with 3 bulls that drove from the other side of the hill/timber where they'd come out right on top of those guys.

When I first saw them, about 200 head were up on the steep hillside. I was just driving back to camp and happened to look up. "damn, look at that bunch of elk!!" In over 45 years hunting them I'd never seen over a dozen head at once.

Most times they end up on the far side of the steepest hill from the truck and no way to drive there.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have beedn in three or four situations with more than a dozen elk in the group, but since it was late cow season I just picked oput the biggest one and went to trying to hit her.

I think out of the 10 or maybe less head of elk I have killed, I can only remember one, the last one I killed in 2013 and probably the last I will ever kill, that went down to stay with the first shot. 190+ or - yards and I spined her with a 168 grain Barnes TSX out of my .300 Weatherby.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The ironic thing about REI is that, for many years, their Chairman was Casey Schwabland. Her husband, Jack, owned a large lumber company and hunted all over the world a lot. She traveled with him on many safaris.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet that sales gal believes in tolerance.....of everything except what she doesn't agree with. The left is a silly gift that just keeps on giving.....and needs to be kept in check by us good folks that see the world as it is.

I've never purchased anything from REI and won't in the future.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I live one block from an REI store in Chicago. They’re set up as a Co-op and you get a % of your purchases back each year as a dividend credit. I use my credit to purchase their Merino Wool Socks, which are the best quality I’ve found. The socks are usually priced about $18.00 a pair, but go on sale about 2X a year for half price. With my $30.00 dividend credit, I get 3 pairs of great socks a year for free. Their typical customer at my local REI store is a bearded hipster or a yoga pants soccer mom. I’m the only 70+ year old African hunter that shops there I’m sure.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1385 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stopped shopping there long ago....total anti hunters starting with the former CEO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah, it was a little to "hippie" for me as well.

The same thing applies to Target. Unknowingly, I went to the sporting goods section one day and was looking for some fishing stuff. I found none. When I asked the sales person, I was informed that Target did not sell anything involved in the killing or torture of innocent animals. I reminded her that the baseballs and gloves were made of innocent cow hide as well as the leather belts they were selling and she was either stupid or more naïve than was possible. I left.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I dropped into REI a couple years ago to look at packs.

As the store employee was fitting me she asked why I was buying a pack?

I responded "Hunting"

She imediatly walked away and moments later another employee asked if I needed any help?

I replied that a young lady was fitting me.....the second employee told me that she would not be assisting me any longer and he was at my disposal.

I allowed him to fit me but did not and will not spend any money there.

Ted,

I would have gotten her name, asked for the store manager on duty and asked if it was company policy to discriminate against customers pursuing a legal activity. If the answer was anything other than no, she will be disciplined I would then offer that they had lost a customer and that I would make it my retired part-time job to explain this interaction to as many hunters as possible. Have a nice day.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They have mountain gear you can actually try on and very good displays.

The one in Anchorage had a fine staff, that maybe wasn't pro hunting but didn't shit where they eat.

Sometimes when you are looking for specific gear for a western hunt they have things no one else does.

If nothing else go in there and try it on, and buy it from someone else.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I still use REI here in Texas. Haven't found any tree huggers at the ones I got to and they like to talk about hunting.

Great source for packs. If you can forgo a camo pack, you a can get much better packs from less $$$ from European manufacturers like Deuter Packs. I got two nice REI branded travel back packs for my daughter and I this summer for Namibia. Also a good place to load up on refills for first aid and survival kits. Also ran across Prana brand pants here. I order them online now for convenience, but again technical mountain climbing pants that beat all of the hunting stuff out there.

We may not want to admit, but the traditional hiking and climbing crowd have access to better and less $$$ equipment that than all of the "hunting brands".

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

We may not want to admit, but the traditional hiking and climbing crowd have access to better and less $$$ equipment that than all of the "hunting brands".

A perfect example of this Sitka's top of the line hunting jacket. It costs about $700 and has all kinds of great selling points(3 layers of Goretex, etc.) but the insulation is mid grade goose down(650). You would think they would use the top of the line down in a $700 jacket.

If you look at the hiking/mountaineering brands you will only find 650 fill in their lower priced jackets. They have to use the high grade down in their top of the line products because their clientele is better informed and tend to purchase based on materials/features as opposed to camo pattern.
lol

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

A perfect example of this Sitka's top of the line hunting jacket. It costs about $700 and has all kinds of great selling points(3 layers of Goretex, etc.) but the insulation is mid grade goose down(650). You would think they would use the top of the line down in a $700 jacket.

If you look at the hiking/mountaineering brands you will only find 650 fill in their lower priced jackets. They have to use the high grade down in their top of the line products because their clientele is better informed and tend to purchase based on materials/features as opposed to camo pattern.
lol

+1

I have always found the real outdoor stores have much betTer equipment for much lower prices.

Tents and Trail in TriBeCa in NYC is great.

The hunting stuff is largely second tier with first tier prices and in cameo for selling to hunters. Add designed by navy seal for another 20 percent price hike.

I like rei. I don’t shop there as much as I normally buy lower quality cheaper stuff at academy.

Rei store brands are really good.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I use to shop at the one in Raleigh. It is a Co-OP and you need a membership for the best prices. They are focused on adventure travel and offer tours all over the world. Seventy percent of their profits are donated to various outdoor philanthropies. Thousands of members of the cop-op wrote letters demanding them to stop purchasing from any organization with ties to the NRA. If you are looking for a pack Kuiu has a good selection.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And we can add Yeti to the ban list. They have cancelled orders for the NRA banquets that were put in Last Year. I sent them an email protesting their dis-entanglement with the NRA and got a very mild reply but also got an email from Marrion Hammer with the NRA saying that they were lying and that they were just distancing themselves from the NRA

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1102 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I Boycotted REI a couple years ago!!! They Donate money to HSUS!!!

Posts: 2330 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote