THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Moving to Colorado - what can I expect?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Colorado - what can I expect?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wife accepted a job just east of Colorado Springs and our house goes up for sale tomorrow.

Any advice on hunting would be appreciated. Elk and mule deer are what I am hoping to chase. Will have ATV's, nice RV, and some great camping gear.

Do you need to apply for drawing hunts or can you get into good elk or deer country with over the counter tags? Any decent firing ranges close to the Springs?

Thanks in advance.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having lived in both states, all I can say is you are moving down in the world of hunting.

Best areas in CO are draw, but I haven't hunted there in years even though I own land there.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Having lived in both states, all I can say is you are moving down in the world of hunting.

Best areas in CO are draw, but I haven't hunted there in years even though I own land there.

Probably so, but I have taken my fair share of Alaskan critters over the decades and time to move on. 35 winters will do that to you. Hoping some Colorado residents can steer me in the right direction.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All Colorado mule deer tags are now by application. Deadline is usually early April. Except for selected trophy areas (which can take up to 20 years to draw) bull elk tags are over the counter. NW Colorado (Craig area) has plenty of public land and large herds but big bulls are scarce. Cow tags are also by drawing and usually take a year or two to get depending on the particular unit. Private land only tags are often available and for cows permission is usually relatively easy to get.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's some good hunting with over the counter licenses, you'll just have to scout around a bit, ask some questions at the local gun shops, etc. I haven't lived there for 25 years. Used to be some good prairie dog shooting where you're moving to but I heard the plague went through there a few years back, but they should be starting to recover. Should be some good antelope in there also, maybe a few prairie mule deer.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Frontier Sportsman's Club is the shooting range you want to join. They have two ranges, one near me in Falcon and the other near Fountain.

There is good hunting within an hour and half to two drive of the Springs. Most of the units require a few points for a resident to draw. There is also some over the counter opportunities near Cripple Creek that have yielded elk in years past for some buddies. All mule deer tags are draw only, unless you pick up landowner vouchers.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the winters down here much more!!

Good luck!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a huge assortment of powder and primers, maybe 100 pounds of powder and 15K in primers. All would sell easily up here but I do have a way to transport it down to Colorado.

Do the local stores have a good assortment or should I hang on to what I have and bring it down?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Lived just West of C. Springs for 6 years, 2001 through 2006. Found it very difficult to hunt in that area as there is private land all around. The public land was poor in terms of hunting potential as private land was interspersed everywhere and the game soon learned where it needed to hang out to be safe. What public land there is has an orange vest behind every tree. Don't count on using the ATV's for hunting access there as all the places you can take one are pretty much designated ATV/Motorcycle trails and it's a madhouse in the woods there. ATVs are specifically prohibited on most public land.

Best bet for any type of quality hunting there will be taking horses into the wilderness areas (no atv's allowed) or hiking days back into those places.

Sorry for the downer but I moved there hoping to find a hunting paradise. It was anything but that. Especially with the lengthy draw waits for prime areas. Never found any locals or sporting goods establishments that were willing to share much info on where to go. But then again, many CO residents don't like Texans! Wink That could have been the issue. Californians either! But you'll probably fair better being from AK. coffee

I continue to hunt the San Juan mountains around Silverton. Over the counter tags for bull elk. Hunting is poor. Very high and steep with too many hunters chasing too few animals. What animals are there are not trophy quality for the large part. If you're looking to put an elk cow in the freezer, you'll do ok with that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Not a downer. I would be perfectly happy with a cow elk or two to start things out.
Been applying for the "good" permits in Alaska for 35 years and never been drawn yet. This includes brownies on Kodiak, prime sheep hunts, trophy moose areas, elk, etc. Alaska does not even have a point system that is common to other states.
Occassional deer or elk would make me a happy camperSmiler.

It is going to be a real treat just to be able to go to the range about once a week and not freeze my ass off!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Todd,
Not a downer. I would be perfectly happy with a cow elk or two to start things out.
Been applying for the "good" permits in Alaska for 35 years and never been drawn yet. This includes brownies on Kodiak, prime sheep hunts, trophy moose areas, elk, etc. Alaska does not even have a point system that is common to other states.
Occassional deer or elk would make me a happy camperSmiler.

It is going to be a real treat just to be able to go to the range about once a week and not freeze my ass off!

SW,

Sounds like you'll enjoy it then. I was just surprised at the difficulty of having a quality hunt. Purchased ATVs for me and my boys who at the time were little (700 for me, 90 for #1, 50 for #2). We had some great times camping and riding trails. Lived near the South Platt River so thought we'd have some great fly fishing, only to find the public access areas such as 11 Mile Canyon lined with people and what fish were there were skittish from everyone with a cabelas catalogue dipping a line and wading in the current. There were some private fishing clubs with great access.

I guess for me, coming from Texas where 99% of land is private and requires a lease to access, I had always listened to guys from CO state how it was an unnatural act to pay for hunting and fishing access since CO has so much public land. I was just disappointed to find it similar to TX in that the quality places to go for such adventure still required a lease of some type and on top of that, you had to draw to hunt.

That said, I have done a few well organized hunts in CO where we had to access public land by way of private holdings. Horses are a great help there and if you can find some of those places, it is truly a beautiful place to be afield with a rifle (or bow if that's your thing). And you have the off chance of drawing for some interesting animals. Maybe not as interesting for you from AK since you have sheep, goats, bears, moose, etc, but certainly interesting for a guy from TX where we mainly have whitetails and hogs!

Anyway, good luck with your move; I hope your family enjoys it there. CO really is a beautiful place, but then, I'm not sure it gets much better than AK in terms of scenery.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Snow----It's good hunting in Colorado. Do your homework & you'll do well. Mule deer & elk are easy tags to draw. Bull elk is OTC is a lot of areas. Black Bear is an easy draw.

Antelope is a little harder but doable. Turkey not problem on the western slope. Ducks, San Luis Valley is good.

I've drawn 3 sheep tags & 1 mtn goat is @ 25 years of applying. Moose, forget about it, I've been applying since 88 with not luck.

As far as the primers & powder bring it with you. It's getting harder & harder to find. And when you do find it it's expensive--maybe a sign of the times.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowolfe,

As you know I lived out in Dillingham for 22 years. We moved down to Wyoming for the milder winters, great tax situation, and an area that's fairly rural. We found all that but compared to Alaska the hunting is just a hassle and there are far too many people in the woods.
All this draw business and a million units is just baffling to me. Actually I just don't want to learn about it. A good friend that is a guide and an accomplished hunter in his own rite called me yesterday and started telling me dates for applying for specific species in different areas as he faithfully does each year and all I could think was thanks so much for your concern but what a fuckin' hassle. I am putting in for a good whitetail area here but this is nothing like Alaska where I bought a license and could shoot about anything available in the state in a good area DIY if I was physically able.

Here in the west there is some excellent hunting but if you want a similiar experience to Alaska you need to hunt private land in my experience and that involves good connection and /or a deep pockets.

I think if I'd come to Wyoming before Alaska I would appreciate it more as there are numerous opprotunities here for multiple species but if you do not play the draw game your SOL.

I realize your talking about Colorado but it seems to me that the situation is quite similiar t omine in Wyoming but with even more people to deal with.

I'm not bitching about the states game laws as I realize not everyone can hunt everywhere down here and maintain good game population but it isquite ashock coming from the freedom I had in Alaska.

Good luck!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12929 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I know its not going to be the same as up here and I am OK with that or we wouldnt be moving. We have given this a move a lot of thought over the last 2 years and decided it is right for us. We are ready for a change and trading off bad winters and the isolation and what can best be described as medicore summers (the last 2 any how) is a switch we look forward to. I'll certaintly miss the fact we can go 100 miles on ATV's and never see a fence or house, but thats life. I been very fortunate and have explored much of what Alaska has to offer. This includes running 600 miles in one direction down the Yukon and up the Koyukuk in a river boat. Shot plenty of dall sheep, grizzlies, caribou, black tails and black bears. Now its time to try something else.
I am already researching a Bison hunt in SD for next year and maybe a couple of big hunts as well. It's a hell of a lot easier to get to these places from Colorado than Alaska.

Yes, I'll miss Alaska. Not trying to compare the hunting in either state with the other. Besides, most of you who claim Alaska is better either don't live here or moved out yourselfSmiler.
Any advice of hunting in our new state will be appreciated. Our move is a done deal. Wife needs to be at new job by the end of March and our home is already on the market.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeezus..... you guys really are downers. What everyone says about getting at least a mile from the road and you will find game is spot on. In the heavier hunted units maybe 1.5 or 2 miles. Some of the biggest elk to come out of the state in the last 100 years are coming from Front Range units. Not as much game in these units as out west but the trophy quality trumps the quantity factor for me. What does suck about this area is the military but that's a different topic. Welcome to the area.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys I know its not going to be the same as up here and I am OK with that or we wouldnt be moving. We have given this a move a lot of thought over the last 2 years and decided it is right for us. We are ready for a change and trading off bad winters and the isolation and what can best be described as medicore summers (the last 2 any how) is a switch we look forward to. I'll certaintly miss the fact we can go 100 miles on ATV's and never see a fence or house, but thats life. I been very fortunate and have explored much of what Alaska has to offer. This includes running 600 miles in one direction down the Yukon and up the Koyukuk in a river boat. Shot plenty of dall sheep, grizzlies, caribou, black tails and black bears. Now its time to try something else.
I am already researching a Bison hunt in SD for next year and maybe a couple of big hunts as well. It's a hell of a lot easier to get to these places from Colorado than Alaska.

Yes, I'll miss Alaska. Not trying to compare the hunting in either state with the other. Besides, most of you who claim Alaska is better either don't live here or moved out yourselfSmiler.
Any advice of hunting in our new state will be appreciated. Our move is a done deal. Wife needs to be at new job by the end of March and our home is already on the market.

You can always return and either do a DIY or guided hunt. But I am guessing you are like me in that shooting ANOTHER caribou doesn't rank way up there in terms of "gotta do it."

I loved living there, but I have to admit, by the time October rolled around I was ready for a rest. June we chased kings, July reds and getting in shape for sheep hunting, Aug was sheep hunting, Sep was caribou and moose...shees, I was beat by the time the termination dust flew.

I never minded the long winters; I skied and hunted ptarmigan a lot. But I did get really tired of the non-existent summers. Nothing like reading next to the pool sipping a cold one...

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Wow, Randy I'm not happy to see you wander stateside but I understand the reasons.. All of them.
We'll have to do another Ak Shoot at Birchwood before you do go.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would keep ALL loading supplies you can. They will never be replaced for the price you paid for them.

Mix of libs and conservatives, but likely more people with LITTLE knowledge of wild than you may be used to.

East of Springs can cover a lot of territory.

Should be able to find something to hunt or fish for. Fish are likely to look like some of the bait you used to use, but will still be fun if you let them.

It will likely be what you make of it.

Contrary to what NM says there is some of the best green chili you have ever eaten grown close by and even if you don't like cantelope, a ripe Rocky Ford cantelope will change your mind.

I think I would/could be more than happy to live out the rest of my life in CO.
Personally I would enjoy it.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't know if I agree 100% with Todd on this one. There's plenty of public land within a couple hours drive that you could walk in for days without stepping foot on private property. Use that same mentality while hunting, and you'll soon find yourself all alone!

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Graybird,

What area of CO are you talking about hunting. I'm speaking of the areas around where we lived at the time. Woodland Park or basically the Western side of Pikes Peak between Divide and Cripple Creek. At the time, we owned the liquor store in Divide and had a chance to speak with many of the local residents. With all of that private land, they just didn't want to give up much info concerning their hard fought for honeyholes! I don't think I can blame them for that actually. Even the promise of "free beer tomorrow" wouldn't loosen them up! Big Grin

As mentioned, I still hunt the Silverton area most years but it's pretty overrun with hunters unless you get way back in there. In that area, that typically requires horses or a couple days hiking with a pack due to the extreme terrain. Even then, there are too many guys chasing too few animals.

And really, I'm not trying to sound bitter about it although I realize it probably does, but some of the experiences I've had even in the San Juan Mountains areas have left me scratching my head.

1) 1998, my hunting buddy and I located a large herd of elk the day prior to the season opener. We hiked up and spent the night on the mountain in order to be in position the following morning. Found the herd at daylight and while stalking for a shot, had a local guy start shooting into the herd over our heads from about 100 yards below us. He clearly saw us before shooting. Once he killed his animal, actually the same bull I was stalking, he began shouting inorder to run the remaining elk over the ridge line. Then he rolled the elk he killed down into the stream we were using for water in our camp, and gutted the animal upstream of our camp, in the water. Nice guy.

2) 2003, I had hiked in several miles back two days prior to the opener and had set up overlooking a likely high mountain meadow on opening morning. 3 guys walked right past the tree I was sitting under, said hello, then proceeded to take a position overlooking the same meadow from atop a rock outcropping. I walked over and asked them if they thought it was ethical to do that knowing I was already there and that there were plenty of other meadows to observe. Answer was "it's a free country".

3) 2005, I had hiked into that same meadow as in 2) above and set up to observe opening morning. Before daylight, I had 7 other hunters in 3 individual groups walk by me, speak briefly then take up a position out in front of my position after daylight.

4) Scouting the day before the 2006 1st elk rifle season, I found a nice bull in a high mountain bowl just before dark. The following morning, at daybreak, I counted 12 orange vests watching the same bowl. Of course they all had the same rights to it as me so that isn't my complaint. Only that even somewhat remote public land is overrun with hunters.

However, in 2007, I finally drew into area 76 around Southfork. Took 10 preference points to score the tag and that really isn't one of the better trophy areas. I decided to hire a guide since I had 10 years invested in the tag. We hunted public land on horses that was really only reasonably accessible by crossing private land for which he had permission. I took an average 5 point on day 3 and my hunting partner got skunked. That was a good hunt however and very enjoyable. The problem is that having to wait 10 years in between quality hunts is a bit excessive.

Of course this is just a matter of my perspective and nothing more. Like Mark Young's post above, I find the draw system with multiple units to be a process I'm just not willing to learn. That's on me however and I realize some guys are able to eek out a 5 day hunt every other year, most of the time.

Again, it just didn't turn out to be the hunting paradise I had hoped for from my perspective. I don't mean to offend you or anyone else on the subject. Just stating that I've come to the conclusion that except for a guided hunt every now and then, hunting the western US has become more of a hassle than I'm willing to endure. And like the high fence $35,000 whitetail hunts in Texas, I'm not willing to pay $12K to $15K for a quality elk hunt with landowner tags. For that kind of money, there are larger adventures across the big pond.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I arrived in Colorado Springs back in 1978. Some things have changed...population from the far left have settled in some areas. The hunting can be difficult to figure out at first, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take much effort at all. We do have a lot of out-of-staters hunting in Colorado. Many of them have not read the laws. This can be a problem. Also, their attitude of, "We spent all this money for a license, we can do as we please," can lead to a confrontation.
When you arrive, go to the Division of Wildlife Office on the west side of town just off I-25. They will be happy to explain Colorado's system, land access, state leased land accesses, and other tidbits.
The recommendation for Frontier Gun Club is spot on.
After you have moved down here, send me a message through the forum and I'll try to help.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Todd,

While I've had a couple similar experiences on public land, I pretty much write off the first half of the season due to the knuckleheaded hunters. Two years ago, I spotted a small bachelor group of bucks. As I was trying to get my buddy's attention, a few guys spotted me and promptly headed my direction. I backed out went back in there about 3 days later and spent the rest of the season trying to put it together on a buck that was in the 170 class. I never scored on that deer, but I had the place to myself after the first half of the season was over.

I had a goofy experience with a guy on an ATV over in the Rifle area while bear hunting this past fall. However, that guy pushed a nice 250 lb blonde colored bear my way that had he given me about 5 more seconds, I would have easily scored on the 142 yard shot!

You just gotta be willing to put up with goofy people's crap, be able to shrug your shoulders and shake your head, while laughing it off.

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
GB,

You are correct in that after the Saturday and Sunday, the knuckleheads seem to thin out a bit. I'll continue to hunt CO when I don't have something else booked for October as it really is a beautiful place to be out and about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prof242,
I'll contact you as soon as we move and get settled in.

Mike, Another shoot at Birchwood is always welcomed!

Any good Colorado outdoor forums to visit?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the bowsite.com and go to the Colorado forum. Mostly bow hunting but some good info. My impression ( been here for 40 years) is that for big deer go East not West, and elk are starting to turn up almost everywhere. Unfortunately they don't seem to turn up in front of me when I have a license in my pocket. Also if you can get there on an atv it is probably not worth going.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any praire dog or coyote hunting within a couple of hours drive from the Springs?

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The prairie dogs took a pretty big hit about 4 years ago due to the plague. Yet, they are starting to come back. I've found a couple places to hunt them. Many times you can get permission to hunt dogs with a simple phone call from my experience.

I've never hunted coyotes but they are certainly there. I always seem to see them out east while antelope hunting.

Graybird

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe:

Off topic, but are you the person who sold me the FA .475 Linebaugh?

BTW, just my opinion, but I'd suggest selling all your reloading stuff if you can get a good price for them up there. Less to hassle with moving, and then re-positioning and you can start out with fresh powders etc. down here. I might keep the bullets since they are not bulky and likely are ones that you like for your guns.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me, I do own a Freedom Arms in that caliber though.

Not a big deal to get the components down there as I have to drive three different vehicles from Alaska to Colorado Springs. The movers will ship all the unloaded bullets, I just need to transport the .22 ammo, primers and powder and the little bit of loaded ammo I have.

Alaska is an interesting place. We pay more for just about everything but when I tried to sell bricks of Federal and CCI primers recently for $30 (paid $35) I was insulted and accused of price gouging, lol. Just last month tried selling bricks (500) of .22's for $25 and couldnt sell a one. So, will avoid the hassle and take a little bit with me each trip I make.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow,

I think you will love it here.

For where you are living I would reccomend Ben Lomond Gun Club. BLGC is about 500 acres with 12 Pistol bays 1 100 yard rifle bays plus a 600 yard range and a small bore range. It laso has a lot of shtgun stuff and has really been growing the last few years.

No one hassles you there f you want to shoot fast, full auto or from the holster.

You will need a sponsor on your application andI will be glad to sign your for you.

Bring your reloadign stuf you can't replace things easily these days.

And since you are often on the classified sections here i am hoping there will be more sales/trades in the future. You will recall I bought my Valmet 412 from you. Smiler

Hunting here is awesome esp if yo have time to scout. If you don't well there are always guides for that.

Looking forward to seeign you here as I am 50 miles straight north of you.

Posts: 1110 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I too vote for keeping your reloading materials. I am hearing many stories about unavailability this year. It would be frustrating to find that not only you cannot replace for the same prices, but that some items are completely out of stock for the foreseeable future.

Before I came out to Japan, I sold off a lot of guns to fund the move. What a bad idea. There are at least six that I simply cannot find on the market again except for hundreds of dollars more -- each! And that's assuming that one can even track down those models. Now that I am thinking of moving back for my kids' education, I wish I still had them.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any praire dog or coyote hunting within a couple of hours drive from the Springs?

When I lived in Woodland Park I hated the big game short seasons, the big crowds, and I hear the draws will drive you crazy now.

I did find a huge amount of enjoyment from coyote and prairie dog hunting though and used to hunt marmots which was the greatest fun of it all but maybe now they're protected? Not sure...

If you want some videos that will really inspire you to enjoy coyote, prairie dog, and marmot hunting get some of the Varmint Safari DVD's.

The way I see it is, if I couldn't make friends with some ranchers to hunt their elk or mule deer I'd just bow hunt public land and figure on maybe getting lucky every once in awhile.

The best of the best mountain hunting in Colorado is from horseback and I've done enough of that to be sure that if I could afford it again it's the only way I'd go for big game hunting.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
quote:

When I lived in Woodland Park I hated the big game short seasons, the big crowds, and I hear the draws will drive you crazy now.

I did find a huge amount of enjoyment from coyote and prairie dog hunting though and used to hunt marmots which was the greatest fun of it all but maybe now they're protected? Not sure...

If you want some videos that will really inspire you to enjoy coyote, prairie dog, and marmot hunting get some of the Varmint Safari DVD's.

The way I see it is, if I couldn't make friends with some ranchers to hunt their elk or mule deer I'd just bow hunt public land and figure on maybe getting lucky every once in awhile.

The best of the best mountain hunting in Colorado is from horseback and I've done enough of that to be sure that if I could afford it again it's the only way I'd go for big game hunting.

$bob$

Last time I hunted marmots there was a two a day limit. I used to hunt around Guanella pass (toward Mt. Evans) but today the place is crawling with folks trying to bag a 14er (Mt.Bierstadt, a three hour hike from the parking lot). When i was in college i would drive up there and have the place to myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moving to Colorado - what can I expect?

A couple of million displaced IDIOTs from CA hell bent on screwing the state up by turning it into exactly what they just fled.

I'm a 5th generation native of CO on my caucasion side and a native Arapahoe on my other side. My roots go way, way back in the state.

The hunting can either be red hot or ice cold. A lot depends on how much you are willing to put into it. My family has always done very well on elk but we hunt away from the roads and go on foot. No ATVs allowed in camp. Game is boned and packed out. Big bulls can be kind of hard to get in most places but my family targets cows.

The really good areas for mule deer are getting scarce. Too much development on winter range (thanks CA IDIOTS) and a lot of the private ranches are now locked up by outfitters. It is hard to knock on doors and get access to good private land for mulies any more. Don't get me wrong, the state has lots of mule deer and you can definately get into them on public land. But you'll have to work at it now that you used to. It isn't anything like it used to be.

Pronghorn can be good. They are a little stingy with the tags. Frankly it is easier to go to WY for prarie goats.

Moose, sheep and goat are tough. Tags are very hard to get. If you pull the tags, you can plan on getting a good animal but you may never get the tag. It took me 22 years to get a goat tag. I drew sheep in 1986 and was holding out for a full curl. Didn't fill the tag and have not drawn another even though I apply every season. I've put in for moose since they started the drawing and I have yet to pull it.

Bear are hit or miss. Some areas have a lot of them. Some have very few. If you really want bear you need to do a lot of research and leg work to find good areas. Cougar is an easy go but it will cost you now a days. Plan on at least $3K for a hunt. Lots of lion in the state but the houndsmen get some decent money to chase them for you. You may just luck into one on your own. I've seen 2 while deer hunting but didn't have a tag either time.

Small game, upland game and waterfowl can be fantastic.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A couple of million displaced IDIOTs from CA hell bent on screwing the state up by turning it into exactly what they just fled

Same for Wyoming, except it is in the 10's of thousands instead of millions. And from all over. Wyoming is what Colorado was 30 years ago. Slowly being degraded. One only has to visit some of the lakes on the North Platte and be here during opening weekends, and see all the colorado licence plates.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The libs are srewing with Colorado's gun laws as we speak...

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DENVER (AP) — Limits on the size of ammunition magazines and universal background checks passed the Colorado House on Monday, during a second day of emotional debates that has drawn attention from the White House as lawmakers try to address recent mass shootings.

The bills were among four that the Democratic-controlled House passed amid strong resistance from Republicans, who were joined by a few Democrats to make some of the votes close.

The proposed ammunition restrictions limit magazines to 15 rounds for firearms, and eight for shotguns. Three Democrats joined all Republicans voting no on the bill, but the proposal passed 34-31.

"Enough is enough. I'm sick and tired of bloodshed," said Democratic Rep. Rhonda Fields, a sponsor of the bill and representative of the district where the shootings at an Aurora theater happened last summer. Fields' son was also fatally shot in 2005.

Republicans argued that the proposals restrict Second Amendment rights and won't prevent mass shootings like the ones in Aurora and a Connecticut elementary school.

"This bill will never keep evil people from doing evil things," said Republican Rep. Jerry Sonnenberg.

The House also approved a bill requiring background checks on all gun purchases, including those between private sellers and firearms bought online.

Other proposals would ban concealed firearms at colleges and stadiums, and another requires that gun purchasers pay for their own background checks. Democrats eked out the closest vote on the background check measure, which passed on a 33-32 vote.

Democratic Rep. Ed Vigil, who represents rural southern Colorado, voted against the four bills, saying his decision was rooted in the state's rugged history.

"This is part of our heritage. This is part of what it took to settle this land. I cannot turn my back on that," he said.

But even though a few Democrats joined Republicans in voting no for the bills, the Democrats' 37-28 advantage in the House gave them enough leeway.

The Senate still needs to consider the proposals. Democrats will need to be more unified in their support there because their advantage is only 20-15. That means Republicans need only three Democrats to join them to defeat the bills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I listened to you guys and brought most of my powder and primers as well as a small stock of rimfire ammo. Visited a few stores since finally arriving here and no one seems to have any components for sell.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a huge assortment of powder and primers, maybe 100 pounds of powder and 15K in primers. All would sell easily up here but I do have a way to transport it down to Colorado.

Do the local stores have a good assortment or should I hang on to what I have and bring it down?

Hang on to it. Everything is scarce now. I'm a Frontier Sportsman's club member the Fountain range is nice, very often we have it to ourselves, nice people.

Craig area is a good area to hunt. If you find someone who knows the area and has been successful regularly that would be a great plus.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you get to the Frontier Sportsman club Range? Can not find a address for it that my GPS will recognize.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
It is an un manned range for members only.
You must apply for membership at their website
I don't have the exact web address but something like frontiersportsmansclub.com.
The range is located near the intersection of Pheasant and Eagle roads south of Falcon off Meridian rd.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote