THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    If you could, where would you choose to live and hunt?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could, where would you choose to live and hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Other than N. America.
My wife approached me the other day and broke the news to me that she would like to live and work overseas somewhere. It was no joke. I actually cried. I love this place. I said I would do it only If: We keep our small ranch here and there is some kick ass hunting. She agreed.

Austrailia & New Zealand comes to mind. Mongolia does as well.

I have 3 daughters so a safe place would be nice.

What do you fellows think?

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
If it was up to me I would be in Africa.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Austrailia & New Zealand would be my choice also.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It would be a must for me to choose a relatively safe place for my family. This is the first and foremost consideration. After that; what developmental changes would affect my offspring, and would I be "happy" there. So how well do you think all family members might adjust to a culture change? Regardless the answer remains the same: Austrialia or New Zealand are at the top of the list!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like to hunt, and fish, New Zealand is tops. Australia has some rather oppressive laws. Ms AZwriter used to live there and we had a house in Perth until a few years ago, but it ain't the USofA. New Zealand is actually better than the US when it comes to hunting and shooting. Only thing is, the economy is not the greatest.

Europe would not be terrible. Hunting red stag in Scotland is hunting's best deal, at least for hill stags, which are the most fun anyway.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Well i live down here and i would like to move to the U.S or Africa. N.Z ok,but with no seasons or bag limits you do use a lot of ammo animal The gun laws here will change it will only take one nutter with an AK47

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T.P

The "use alot of ammo animal" thing , I like!
thumb

I never did grow out of that stage.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Zealand.... Norway, Finland, Sweden...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NZ, or maybe Switzerland, where you are required to own a rifle!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I don't think the opportunities for resident hunters in Africa are very good. Most of the hunting areas are controlled by outfitters, so you will still have to pay to hunt there. I believe Botswana and Zambia have some provision for resident hunters though. Don't think there is much resident hunting in RSA (other than some cheap biltong hunting on game ranches). Not sure about Namibia or Tanzania.

Safety of my family would be a concern in Africa.

My wife and I have talked about this and New Zealand would be our first choice.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
What is it about New Zealand all you guys from the U.S like so much??? I want to come to America.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
What is it about New Zealand all you guys from the U.S like so much??? I want to come to America.

well, evidently you haven't been here, to see the down side of it, and we haven't been to NZ to see what you consider the downside to it!.....

grass is always greener on the other side of the hill, I guess....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I'ed have a serious chat with the wife, NFW I would take my 3 daughters out of this country, especialy now. Why leave where every one else want's to come to. NFW!!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
IMHO, I'ed have a serious chat with the wife, NFW I would take my 3 daughters out of this country, especialy now. Why leave where every one else want's to come to. NFW!!!

There is no better country in which to live than the USA! Even though we are on a slippery slope of decline, it is still the best. For hunting ONLY, Africa and NZ would top my list.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I would research Argentina.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AS unstable as the world is, "there is no place like home"!

If I were looking for a place I would check out the central american countries. Half of them live here any way, in a few years you will have the place all to yourself! I have read that you can live there very comfortably on $1000 a month. THe fishing is good and I am sure there is some thing to hunt.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Top_Predator:

Here is why I like New Zealand:
-The biggest city isn't that big
-You can hunt anything that walks
-You can even hunt in Natl Parks
-The fishing is wonderful
-You don't eat Vegemite

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Iceland. Plenty of waterfowl/seabird hunting and I LOVE shooting seals. There are reindeer hunts and ptarmigan as well.

The other plus is that the women are probably the most beautiful in the world and judging by my two trips to Iceland really friendly and adventurous. Big Grin

Probably take a couple side trips to Greenland too.

I'd enjoy a roadtrip through Siberia, upland/waterfowl hunting and fishing along the way.

Doing red fox control in Australia would be great fun for a winter.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Ted Nugent once said, "The whole world sucks, but the United States sucks the least." I think there's some truth to that.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Ted Nugent once said, "The whole world sucks, but the United States sucks the least." I think there's some truth to that.

Well, at least Ted has been out of the country. There are too many people in the US who think this but have never left the country. And too many wimps today afraid to do so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is great truth to that. Only 7% of US citizens hold US Passports.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well I've been to more than a few places other than the USA. As bad as things are here at times w/ idiot politicians, illegal immigration, etc. there really are few places I would rather live. New Zealand is a beautiful country offering many hunting areas & species. Nice people & the dollar used to go quite a ways last time I was there. Yep, if pissersHillary Clinton becomes president, I might have to move. CRYBABY

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Yukoner,

Your profile doesn't say where you live but I'd caution you to consider VERY carefully movng your residence to another country other than the USA.

Almost EVERYONE EVERYWHERE would rather live in the USA and there are many many reasons why.

If you DO move I also advise you to keep your American citizenship (if you have one) if at all possible.

There are many many places in the USA that are so different than any other that you could move around here and each place would be a very different culture, climate, hunting, etc....

If you're in Canada as your handle suggests consider the USA.

IMO the best of ALL worlds is to live in the USA and take yearly trips to hunt Africa, NZ, Canada, Alaska, etc. and hunt the lower 48 states the rest of the time.

There are a LOT of reasons why everyone is trying to move to the USA. PLUS your daughters will have a hugely better chance at a good life here than anywhere else.

This isn't meant to bash any other country. This forum is comprized of people from all over the world but not to many of them are likely to disagree with me.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

The trick I've discovered is to live somewhere with a low cost of living and simultaneously find a job there that pays you in a hard currency. Living in Africa and working for an American (or any "western") organization is the ticket. Find any job like this that puts you at least in "striking distance" of good hunting and other exotic locales and you are in business. As you know, I think you have it pretty well up there in the YK but I am also spending this Easter week in Crete and it cost me next to nothing to get here. If I hadn't missed the bird season by a week, I'd be hunting upland game around the base of the White Mountains. As it is, I get to sip wine on the Meditteranean. Life is rough! Big Grin See you this summer!

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

For a hunter and outdoorsman there is no country like the United States. I would never want to move anywhere else.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have traveled to many places (50 countries and counting) around the globe on business. Everywhere I go, most people want to live somewhere else.

I liked New Plymouth, New Zealand and Perth the best, but Calgary was up there as well. Anywhere in Ireland and Scotland was grand. Golf is great and hunting is ok.

Overall, my all-time favorite place is Pawley's Island, South Carolina, on the "Redneck Riviera". Great golf, lots of hunting and fishing and very nice people. They do everything slow there, even talk slow.

The absolute worst places to live or do anything -

1. Any country with "-stan" in the name. I lived in Kazakhstan for a couple of years and traveled to Pakistan. KZ is ok due to the nice people, but the government and climate are pathetic. Pakistan is like living with Klingons, too strange to describe.

2. Nigeria - nothing nice about that open sewer. Never have I seen such corruption and hopelessness.

3. Papua New Guinea - cannibals still live there and it is not a very friendly place for white faces.

4. New Orleans - same as the above reasons, the food is bizarre as well.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cannibals live in New Orleans? Please elaborate.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
We need to start a new country thumb with American gun laws,New Zealands hunting seasons or lack of,German autobauns,English women,Africa's game animals. hijack sorry.

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
We need to start a new country thumb with American gun laws,New Zealands hunting seasons or lack of,German autobauns,English women,Africa's game animals. hijack sorry.

Time to re-colonise Africa Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers
/Johan

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I agree with elkman 2, NFW I'd take the kids out of this country. Too little to gain way too much to lose.

I'd be sure the wife understood the potential consequences of her move out of the country idea with respect to the kids and their well being. After they are grown and gone, whole different ball game.

I'd see if she would be receptive to (in this order): Alaska, Canada, Hawaii. All three are out of this country according to my wife.

Mexico might work if I could see the border from my house.

Good Luck.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHW:
I agree with elkman 2, NFW I'd take the kids out of this country. Too little to gain way too much to lose.

I'd be sure the wife understood the potential consequences of her move out of the country idea with respect to the kids and their well being. After they are grown and gone, whole different ball game.

I'd see if she would be receptive to (in this order): Alaska, Canada, Hawaii. All three are out of this country according to my wife.

Mexico might work if I could see the border from my house.

Good Luck.

BHW:

I am puzzled about your kids...what exactly is the risk? Are you including every country? Are you talking about education physical safety, or what?

The odds of dying violently in this country are higher than many others. Our educational system is being diluted by illegal migrants.

If I had kids at home (my only daughter is in college) I would not hesitate to take them out of the US. Think about what the world will be like in 25 years. Those who are comfortable in other cultures are going to have a HUGE advantage over those who don't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The western USA is where I would live. Lots of choices, Colo, AZ, Montana, Wyo, Texas.

I went many places while I was in the Navy, South America, Europe, the middle east, the Far east, nothing beats home. I current live in SOCAL, but as soon as I retire it is off to Colo or AZ.

Stan Snyder

Posts: 61 | Location: Fallbrook, Ca | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny, I looked at the globe, wanting to leave the Netherlands, and ended up in Canada! Big Grin

New Zealand has great chamois, tahr and deer hunting, hogs, and other critters, good waterfowl, fishing. We looked at it in ernest.

But my accountant friend in Christchurch kept repeating that the economy isn't all that jiffy, and jobs are limited on the south island where I wanted to be. Though we had collected all the immigration stuff for NZ, we decided not to go there.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WPN:
Cannibals live in New Orleans? Please elaborate.

The cannibals in New Orleans don't eat your body, they eat your wallet. Big Grin

Forgive me the slight overstatement.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Another AZWriter: Everyone has a different opinion and perspective on the subject.

Guess if you are puzzled trying to explain why I feel the way I do would be a waste of time, both of mine and yours.

Suffice it to say it seems more people are "wanting in" in the USA and while this is causing problems in many areas, we have it better overall at the moment that anywhere else on the planet, IMHO.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of SA_Hunter
posted Hide Post
If the global "Anti-Gun" prick$ concerned themselves with their own problems, and stayed out of our business, and the corruption and crime could be put to an end, i'd stay right here in South Africa! Although i'd probably win the lotto 3 weeks running before that ever happened!!! If it got too bad here, i'd just keep on wishing for a win on the "Green Card" lotto.

Every Day is a Hunting day. Not every day is a shooting day!

Posts: 5 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 17 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHW:
Another AZWriter: Everyone has a different opinion and perspective on the subject.

Guess if you are puzzled trying to explain why I feel the way I do would be a waste of time, both of mine and yours.

Suffice it to say it seems more people are "wanting in" in the USA and while this is causing problems in many areas, we have it better overall at the moment that anywhere else on the planet, IMHO.

Having it better isn't the issue I asked about. You implied moving outside of the US was not an option due to safety. This is obviously an emotional thing for you, not one based on facts. The odds of your children dying from a nuclear blast (from a rogue terrorist) are higher in NC than in NZ. The odds of one of your children being murdered are higher in this country are higher than in many others. Drunk drivers kills more people here than in the Europe.

I am not saying I don't love the USA. But to imply that moving out of the country is a danger to your children is either a manifestation of emotion or ignorance. But you are entitled to both.

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Possibly, but I'll just stay here with my son in the USA and take that chance. I feel I am on safer ground as an American in the USA than I would be as a USA foreigner in most other countries. I wouldn't stand out as much here as I would there and therefore IMHO would be less likely to be singled out, or get caught up in some other anti American act in a country I am not native to. Now if I had been born and raised in NZ would I not want to to stay and live there, probably would stay "home" where it is supposed to be safer.

Show me someone who doesn't fit your profile for your last paragraph in some way. We all have our hangups and every person alive is damn sure ignorant about something. It is just some people are more ignorant than others and we are all critics about that subject, IMHO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukoner/Daryl,
Are you presently living in the north of Canada? After a long, dark, and cold winter I would imagine wives, sourdoughs or bank presidents might want a change of latitude. If I were a young man with no one to account to or for I'd pull a Capstick and see if I could become a PH in sub Sahara africa. If it worked, great! If not, I'd go back home. No offense to Mr Saeed, but Islamic stongholds around the globe don't like Americans very much to say the least. Lots of reasons why, and some are good reasons. There used to be some great hunting in the Moslem world in magnificent geography. Any other western country with perhaps the exception of NZ will not offet the individual freedom of the United States of America. For all of our faults, the U.S.A. has more to offer than any place that I've been to, but I haven't been to NZ or Australia yet. I don't know what your or your wife do as a profession but that airplane on the tarmac and this internet lays the whole world, good or bad, at your fingertips.
How about the soverign Republic of Texas? They have just about every kind of critter "shootable" somewhere in the mesquites down there.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough BHW. Just not my world; my better half just got back from backpacking for two weeks in Malaysia, which is heavily Muslim. We have both traveled all over and just don't feel that threatened. I can guarantee you are safer in Japan than just about anywhere, but the hunting sucks.

If you feel more comfortable here, that is certainly how you feel. It is your life, of course, and only an idiot would live it just because of what others (like me) think. I just object to those who would say living as an expat is inherently more dangerous than living in the US. Factually, it just ain't so.