THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    If you could, where would you choose to live and hunt?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could, where would you choose to live and hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live North of Whitehorse, Yukon. I live a prettygood lifesyle here. I can hunt most species here withing 2 hours of my front door. Some out my front door. $20.00 for a sheep tag. They pay me decent wages to guide hunts here.
I don't really want to leave. I would miss the remote country the most.

I will relocate for a couple of years. I like some of the sudjestions. Texas is interesting. New Zealand has mountains and lots of game. I would go to S.Africa if it were not for my daughters.

I am suprised by how many sudgested the USA. I think the USA has good hunting, it is just that most Americans that I have hunted with are just in awe of the Yukon.

All I know is, I ain't live'n in no big city and there better be some good hunt'n...

or I am going to miss her.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
You mentioned Mongolia and no one else did, so I will if you like wide open spaces, mountains, fishing (although I didn’t get to fish while there) all kinds of game, no people, nearly everyone likes Americans (don’t know if I’ve met friendlier people), only a couple of paved roads and a host of others. The eastern edge of the Gobi looks a lot like Wyoming, wind and all, just no sage. I don’t recommend getting sick, and be sure to take everything you think you will need and then some. Clear nights on a high spot will not reveal a man made light for as far as can be seen. You hardly ever see an airplane. Remote may be an understatement.

The down side is it may be hard to make a living, but it wouldn’t take much to live. UB is the coldest capital city in the world. If you don’t like mutton and potatoes, learn to. It’s no place for a vegetarian. It certainly was an interesting experience.

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin 56:
You mentioned Mongolia and no one else did, so I will if you like wide open spaces, mountains, fishing (although I didn’t get to fish while there) all kinds of game, no people, nearly everyone likes Americans (don’t know if I’ve met friendlier people), only a couple of paved roads and a host of others. The eastern edge of the Gobi looks a lot like Wyoming, wind and all, just no sage. I don’t recommend getting sick, and be sure to take everything you think you will need and then some. Clear nights on a high spot will not reveal a man made light for as far as can be seen. You hardly ever see an airplane. Remote may be an understatement.

The down side is it may be hard to make a living, but it wouldn’t take much to live. UB is the coldest capital city in the world. If you don’t like mutton and potatoes, learn to. It’s no place for a vegetarian. It certainly was an interesting experience.

Mongolia has to be the most remote place I have ever been. Not even a jet contrail overhead. Definitely more wild than Africa. People are great too.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

From a Kiwis perspective I certainly am impressed and a little amazed at the number who would like to come and live here.

I thought that my thinking that this little country of ours is really Gods Own was merely just being a little parochial (spelling???). I am a Cantabrian so I thought that was a given but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

If I had to move out the USA would probably be the first choice followed by Canada (Canadas firearms register sucks).

But why would I want to shift? I'm earning enough to allow me to hunt every weekend or go fishing in the best trout fisheries in the world.

We have the most sensible firearms laws in the world. If you are a half way decent person you can own a hunting or sporting weapon without a problem (Semi-autos no problem).

This country is pretty safe compared to most crime wise (Japan is probably the only safer place but the hunting is crap and quite restrictive socially).

I have travelled quite extensively and know that many places have their own charm but none can compare with home.

We welcome new comers to our land as long they want to embrace our way of life and not try and force the one they have just fled upon their new hosts.

The economy here isn't that bad as most own their own home and can afford to eat and live well. The US dollar buys quite a bit here and if you are a farmer (rancher) you are like royalty with an income in the millions annually.

We truly live in Gods Own Country.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the good fortune to have been able to travel to a few other countries, live on both coasts of the US and for brief periods of time (20+ yrs back) in two Asian countries. I have ended up about 70 miles west of where I was born and really have a hard time seriously considering moving away-- fulltime-- to anywhere else. I live 20 min. from a few of the best trout streams in the upper Midwest, less than that from excellent lake fishing and 7 miles from a large farm with gobs of deer, ducks, geese, turkeys and small game that I can hunt any time (in exchange for a case of wine.) We're also 20 minutes from some of the best restaurants and other cultural experiences this part of the country has to offer.
My wife and I talk about spending winters in Belize when we retire, and we may, but with all the hassles, stupid politics, "reality" shows and everything else that are very dislikable about the US, I'd rather be here than anywhere else-- though Colorado runs a close second!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Wihntr, I lived in Wisconsin too (go Packers!). The fishing is good, esp if you like trout. But the hunting doesn't compare the to West. Bird season in AZ is 6 months long; I shoot more shells in a weekend than I did all year hunting grouse. But what I really love about AZ is the ability to shoot as far as I want (for practice) and not have to go to a range or the same place every time. The traffic around PHX does suck, I will give you that, but I work out of my house when i am not on the road.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ,
I do like the West. I've managed at least one hunt, usually archery elk, every year since 1993. Being more of a bow hunter than a shotgunner, I don't mind not going through the shells you mention. I also can't deal with the heat you have. (I went camping one weekend in July at Organ Pipe Catus National Monument. Beautiful place! We had the whole park to ourselves, too.)
But that's ok! I certainly wasn't trying to get more folks to move into my slice of well, not Paradise exactly, but something pretty good anyway.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:
AZ,
I do like the West. I've managed at least one hunt, usually archery elk, every year since 1993. Being more of a bow hunter than a shotgunner, I don't mind not going through the shells you mention. I also can't deal with the heat you have. (I went camping one weekend in July at Organ Pipe Catus National Monument. Beautiful place! We had the whole park to ourselves, too.)
But that's ok! I certainly wasn't trying to get more folks to move into my slice of well, not Paradise exactly, but something pretty good anyway.

My response?

GO PACK!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Where we are going to be moving to in the next 12 to 18 months, west Texas. Lora and I are both retiring in the next 3 months, and are going to move within 100 moles of the ranch where we do our Javelina hunt service.

I will be close enough to line up some Pronghorn hunts, and go to western Colorado for late season cow elk.

I am sick as hell of the Fort Worth/Dalass MetroMess. I am looking forward to being able to get up each morning, and if I don't want to do anymore than go drive the pastures and shoot a mess of cottontails for supper, knowing that there ain't gonna be some S.O.B., telling me where I need to be and what they think I should have accomplished for the day.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Australia, in the state of victoria.

Here you can Hunt all year long no bag limits for Sambar deer, public land, all within 1-2 hours of the City of Melbourne! cheers

Also availble to hunt is the following;

Red Deer ,Fallow Deer, Hog Deer, foxes , hares, rabbits, ducks , quail,wild pigs, and feral goats , most have no bag limits or closed seasons(some deer do have seasons)and many can be hunted all year round on public land, all within a couple of hour drive from Melbourne!!

thumbThe econnomy here is great (except for fuel prices) thumbdown

I too have considered moving to other countries for better hunting opportunities, but other than some great game animals in other parts of the world, especially Africa, I feel that Austraia is as good as it gets from a hunting point of view. stir]

The biggest negative is the general population is anti Gun/hunting, so we pretty much keep to ourselves. moon

Our gun laws are tougher, but really is no big deal if you are dedicated to the sport. Roll Eyes

The list of animals to hunt here in australia all year long is great.(some deer and game birds do have closed seasons)

Water buffalo, Scrub Bulls(feral cattle), Bantang, Dingo (wild dog),feral cats, camels, brumbies (feral horses), donkeys, Wild boar, wild goats, foxes, rabbits, hares, Red deer, Sambar deer, fallow deer, hog deer, Rusa deer, Chital deer (Axis), Wapiti(very limited).
Also many game birds. clap

If you are serious about moving, (i moved to Victoria 10 months ago) Victoria, Australia is the place to be! Big Grin

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
...There is no better country in which to live than the USA! Even though we are on a slippery slope of decline, it is still the best...

Substitute USA for Canada thumb cheers

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
With all due respect CanadianLefty, while I admire your patriotism, considering the firearms laws in your country I will have to respectfully disagree. Recent elections aside, Canada's national politics run a little too far on the liberal side for me.

That said, considering the mental paraplegics on both sides of the aisle in Washington and the freespending Texan masquarading as a conservative... if things don't change, we'll be on a par with your country before too long.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
I would go for Argentina or Uruguay.

Lots of game to hunt, you could own a small farm or ranch, as some people do, and still give a good life to your family.

Don´t know about foreigners restrictions on hunting/having their own piece of land.

I know that hunting in South America is really great, but in some countries living is not pleasant, specialy for family.

In Argentina/Uruguay/Brasil you can live very weel with your family, having good education for the kids, access to technollogical inovations, good health, food, buildings.

But in Brasil hunting laws sucks, and I know very well that.

See you.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original Question was where would you live outside of North America.

I can't really give a good answer to that. I am presently in Australia (NSW) for a year and I can't wait to get back home to Alberta Canada. It is where I want to be particularly for hunting.

Back home I can hunt White-tail, Mule deer, Elk, Moose, Black Bear, Bighorn sheep, Pronghorn, Mountian Goat,Cougar, Wolf, coyote. Loads of upland and waterfowl.(the fishing ain't half bad eather)

The gun laws are a bit of a pain in the ass but not as expencive and restrictive as here in NSW.

I hear things are pretty good in New Zealand. So that might be worth a look.

Robin down under and home sick.

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been through Whithorse Yukon and can't imagine wanting to move from heaven. Well maybe to Watson Lake. or maybe Tok, AK. Klaune Lake are is maginifcent. Whithorse has all the amenities though and hunting and fishing too. Best of all worlds.
Nor urban blight either. Blessings.

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote