New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela's???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wasn't sure where to post this, but was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience to mine. I called Cabela's shop in Wisconsin to inquire about a gun they had in their Gun Library. A girl answered and I asked to be transferred to the Gun Library and she told me due to stocking shortages, if I had a question about a gun, I would need to come to the store to ask any questions I might have on it. I told her I was asking about a used gun they had in their Gun Library, she said I would need to come to the store to ask about it. I told her I was calling from PA and she got a little agitated and said I could go to store closest to me and they would find whatever I needed out. I thanked her and ended the call. I understand they are probably getting hit with hundreds of calls a day on ARs and the like, but has anyone else been told this? I'm not sure if all the stores have a policy like this now or if the Wisconsin store was short handed, or whatever.

If this isn't the right forum to post this in, please feel free to move it wherever it belongs.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin,

Instead of spending all your hard earned money on a new rifle at Cabela's. Just grab your
.270 WBY Mag and jump on a plane and come back out to Wyoming and come deer or antelope hunting again. rotflmo

Hope all is well for you and your family.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Justin,

Sometimes even in person Cabelas can be difficult. Try e-mailing the gun dept mgr and they have always responded for me. The WI one is listed under the gun room page.

Byron

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I tried to contact a store about a Sig P239 listed on Guns International. My efforts included two emails and three phone calls and two voice mail messages. Almost a week later, I received an email saying it had been placed on layaway by a customer.

Cabelas has changed a lot since they went public. Quality of both product and service has decreased. I wont waste much time on them in the future.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
Cabelas has changed a lot since they went public. Quality of both product and service has decreased. I wont waste much time on them in the future.

+1 on this.

I used to live just across the state line in CO from the Cabela's Headquarters in Sidney, NE. Spent a lot of time in the store there. It wasn't unusual to see Dick and Mary Cabela walking around the store helping customers or just shooting the breeze with them. When the Cabela family quit running it, the place went to hell.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have had mixed results at the Fort Worth Cabela's and at the Cabela's just off I-80 in Sydney. It may just a difference in attitudes or amount of customers coming thru the doors. At the store in Sydney the staff was helpful to the point of being somewhat annoying, but it was not unpleasant.

At the Fort Worth store, many times it has been like the customers were somewhat of a bother to the staff. I have noticed this especially at the gun counter and it seemed that the manner in which a person was dressed had a definite bearing on how quickly they were waited on and the attitude with which were treated.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are becoming about like any other public company now compared to the "old" days. I still buy stuff from them online once in a while when they have a free or good shipping rate going, but many times I've bought the same item on Amazon.com and saved from $50 to $100 over the Cabelas price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of boots at Cabelas; after an elk and deer hunt in AZ they started to fall apart. Cabelas gave me a total refund, which I used to buy a pair of Meindl boots (Ms AZW also bought a pair after I raved about them).

I also bought a Meopta spotting scope for around $2600. I bought the angled eyepiece, but after using the scope on the AZ deer hunt, I wanted to exchange it for a straight eyepiece; they took it back no questions asked.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin,

I just came back this afternoon from a trip to Cabela’s in PA and while I’m not defending the reps phone behavior I would say it is unusual. They are under a lot of “pressure” these days. The store in Pa was mobbed the ammunition and gun section was 4-5 deep. I talked to a Cabela’s rep while I was there and he told me their jobs have become near impossible these days…basically they answer “No” to nearly every question asked as that is the answer…”Do you have any AR’s in stock-No, Do you have any 9mm ammunition in stock-No etc. On the other hand the guys in the Gun Library are dealing with a different kind of firearm so they should be more customer friendly. I suggest calling them and asking for the manager of the Gun Library which I think you can find online…I think you might have a better experience. Joe Rosell is the manager at the Hamburg store, you could call him. Overall my experience with Cabela’s customer service has been outstanding.
Good luck

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I send an e-mail that I wanted to buy a certain rifle. Got a reply next day that it was available and that I should call for a certain person. I make the call and I am told that we just sold the gun to someone else. When I ask about my e-mail the guy blew me off. I have found that to be the attitude in the last few years. They just have a job and are waiting for quiting time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get a bunch of lip from a front line employee, ask for their name and then ask for the store manager. Works 99% of the time.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Cabelas.

They are a compliment to our sport and guns.

Like all gunshops they have been very busy with the increased buying.

Calm down and give them and others another chance.

Smiler

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like Cabelas.

They are a compliment to our sport and guns.

Like all gunshops they have been very busy with the increased buying.

Calm down and give them and others another chance.

I like Cabela's also. The problem you are not seeing is, that at least in my case, my gripe comes from interactions at the Fort Worth store from 2 and 3 years back. This was during a time when they were not that busy or crowded. Now if you work for Cabela's I can understand your position.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not very happy with Cabelas. I placed a gun on layaway. I went to make a a payment today. I was told to go to the gun counter NICS checkout. Well there is about two dozen people waiting to do paperwork. All I want to do is make a payment and leave. No paperwork needs to be done I am not picking the gun up yet. I am supposed to wait in line for probable well over an hour. Never seen such backwards bullshit. Everything is in the computer and monkey should be able to type in and take my two hundred bucks. If it was not a hard to find gun I would tell them to shove it. This is my first purchase since they screwed me around a few years ago. Going to be my last for a long time.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Guys, before the mob mentality to tear down Cabelas picks up too much steam here, and we all know the lynch mob forms pretty quickly on AR once the ball gets rolling, please remember it was Cabelas that took the first stand supporting our Second Amendment Rights at the Harrisburg, PA show by refusing to participate if the "black" guns were to be banned. Cabelas took this stand even before the NRA did.

Personally, I say this is a company worthy of our support. And yes, I've had a couple of minor negative experiences with them as well. Each time, it was quickly addressed once pointed out to a management type. Just my 2 cents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed something, but I don't see any mob ready to tear Cabela's down. All I see are folks simply stating that they aren't exactly happy with the customer service they have experienced.

Don't know about you, but for many folks one negative experience negates a half dozen positive ones.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Maybe I missed something, but I don't see any mob ready to tear Cabela's down. All I see are folks simply stating that they aren't exactly happy with the customer service they have experienced.

Don't know about you, but for many folks one negative experience negates a half dozen positive ones.

Crap, I know better than to start debating you as it just doesn't go anywhere and I grew tired of getting muddy long ago. But, go back and take a look at how many of the posters are stating they will no longer shop at Cabelas for one reason or another. And I did state "BEFORE the mob mentality picks up too much steam". That implies that it hasn't happened yet, but the signs building toward it are beginning to show.

As to your second statement, it depends. I had a guy behind the counter get testy in the Ft. Worth store one day while I was looking at knives. After I asked to handle the 4th one, he refused to show me any others. I know the guy who runs the gun room there. Looked him up and told him of the experience. The fellow apologized and showed me 3 more knives before I purchased 2 new blades. Personally, I'd chock that up to an individual employee with a bad attitude and not the Cabelas entity itself. Although an employee should represent the company well while on duty, I'm able to differentiate between the two. Typically, if you have an issue with Cabelas products or services, once you make your concerns known, they address it promptly. I appreciate that.

And when it comes to the stance Cabelas took on behalf of our Second Amendment rights, before anyone else of consequence did, including the NRA of which I'm a huge supporter and life member, well ... that attitude far outweighs my experience with an employee having a bad day or even a poor attitude.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Have always had great customer service and expect I always will...

How many companies do you know execute flawlessly every time?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Have always had great customer service and expect I always will...

How many companies do you know execute flawlessly every time?

tu2

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Typically, if you have an issue with Cabelas products or services, once you make your concerns known, they address it promptly. I appreciate that.

And when it comes to the stance Cabelas took on behalf of our Second Amendment rights, before anyone else of consequence did, including the NRA of which I'm a huge supporter and life member, well ... that attitude far outweighs my experience with an employee having a bad day or even a poor attitude.

tu2

100% Spot On.

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not arguing with you or anyone else Todd. I still shop at Cabela's and normally the service is great. I don't judge a company or store by the actions/inactions of one employee. I ain't everybody and everybody ain't me. There are people that will let one negative experience in a store sour them against the store/chain forever, that is just the way some folks are. I am glad that there is a Cabela's as close as Fort Worth and enjoy going to it, that doesn't mean I am always impressed with the service of some of the staff, but that happens in all sorts of stores/businesses.

Sorry that my having an opinion bothers you so much, Have A Nice Day.

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I like Cabela's myself, sometimes they're a little busy.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently I called the Fort Worth store to ask some questions on a shotgun they had advertised. I made 7 or 8 phone calls over two days and all I got was a recording. I finally got someone on the next call and asked my questions. He was very helpful and mentioned that the shotgun had a very large amount of cast off that made it a no go for me. He didn't try to sell me the gun at all costs the way some gun stores will but told me about the flaw upfront.

I have bought several items from them including very expensive hearing protectors and a pair of booths that I was unsatisfied with. There was no question about accepting them for return. There are simply outstanding in that regard.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wasn't calling for a mob or boycott of the stores, I was just feeling out if it was standard protocol for them to tell a customer they had to come to the store to ask questions on a used gun. I wasn't going to drive to WI to ask a question about it and I'm a little over an hour away from the nearest Cabela's to me. I like Cabela's and will continue to shop there, I just didn't like where my phone call with them went. Thanks for all the insight, everyone, though.

Steve,

I will be in touch with you soon. Smiler

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with Cabelas

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Have never had that problem with Cabela's. I suggest you contact the store manager and explain to him your problem with that policy. I suspect it will be changed if you do.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've had nothing but great service from the employees at the Billings, MT Cabela's store.

On two different occasions, I made a mistake with purchases, and both times, their employees went out of their way to fix the situations.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I bought a pair of boots at Cabelas; after an elk and deer hunt in AZ they started to fall apart. Cabelas gave me a total refund, which I used to buy a pair of Meindl boots (Ms AZW also bought a pair after I raved about them).

I also bought a Meopta spotting scope for around $2600. I bought the angled eyepiece, but after using the scope on the AZ deer hunt, I wanted to exchange it for a straight eyepiece; they took it back no questions asked.

Around here that's called the Walmart rental....use it and take it back if you don't like it....I love that policy

They are a very large company and in large are very good I'm sure

I have had very good service from the Hazelwood Mo store

Damn.....I wish they would build a store in Poplar Bluff

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, gun shops all over the country are being hammered right now with everything that has been going on politically. I'm sure their sales people are feeling the stress as well. I waited in line for nearly 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago just to buy a new reloading manual. I'm giving my favorite sports store a pass until the chaos is over.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy Horse you posted the quote below.

quote:
I like Cabela's also. The problem you are not seeing is, that at least in my case, my gripe comes from interactions at the Fort Worth store from 2 and 3 years back.

It's unreasonable to complain about some problem as small as that from 3 years ago.

Cabelas is the biggest store and dealer in guns.

Give it a break.

Also in my 60 years of buying guns I got my two best deals at Cabelas.

How much do you think I paid for this custom 300 Win. Mag. with it's 2-7 Redfield scope?

The action is a pre-64 M70!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forend view. Note M70 Supergrade type swivel bases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't care what you paid for that gun, it is immaterial to the discussion. I was simply relating my experience on one occasion.

It has not stopped me from patronizing Cabela's.

I merely pointed out a situation that I experienced, nothing more. There are any number of reasons why I experienced what I did, but it did not cause me to stop doing business with them.

Since when has making an honest statement over something a person has experienced become a bad thing.

I think if you will look, other posters have made much more disparaging remarks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
3504 February 2013 04:35Hide PostHey guys, gun shops all over the country are being hammered right now with everything that has been going on politically. I'm sure their sales people are feeling the stress as well. I waited in line for nearly 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago just to buy a new reloading manual. I'm giving my favorite sports store a pass until the chaos is over.

I understand what you are saying, but I also remember going into gun shops, 20 and 30 years ago, and having the folks working there look at me like I was some kind of trouble maker. Maybe when you go into a gun store with some knowledge about what you are wanting it intimidates the folks working there, I don't know, I don't care. But I have been buying guns since the 1970's, and I have at least some basic knowledge. I have seen to many of the small shops that seem to believe everyone walking in the door is either an idiot or someone trying to cause trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems you may be very sensitive as to complain about a gun store from three years ago.

Perhaps your just not up to getting a good deal?

My wife and I enjoy Cabelas. We go there together, get a snack look at the fabulous store and enjoy ourselves. Cabelas is a compliment to my sport.

How much $$$$ for that pre-64 M70 custom?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude wake your ass up, I merely said that I am not all that impressed with customer service sometimes but it does not stop me from shopping there. Look at some of the earlier responses from other members.

I have 3 or 4 guns from Cabela's over the years, a few scopes, decoys, and all sorts of stuff. Merely stating that customer service sometimes isn't what it could be does not in any way condemn the whole store/chain.

I could care less if you and your wife have sex in the middle of the floor in your local Cabela's, it is immaterial as hell with me, I sure ain't going to stop shopping there simply because their customer service leaves something to be desired on occasion.

Like I said, check out what some of the other responders have said, the ones before I made my first comment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please delete your post.

I ruins this topic and is in bad taste.

Your on ignore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You asked for the response you got. I make a comment about less than stellar service on one day at one store, and you keep on with your BS.

How many times does a person have to say that the one incident has not effected their patronage of the company?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
Please delete your post.

I ruins this topic and is in bad taste.

Your on ignore.

Savage, sorry Crazy posted something as inappropriate as he did. Unfortunately, it is to be expected with him and that is why I stated that I knew better than to get involved in another discussion with him. Turns out my reference to getting muddy wrestling with a pig once again came to fruition. Sorry he got you muddy this time. The guy just has absolutely NO respect for others opinions or statements.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Dude wake your ass up, I merely said that I am not all that impressed with customer service sometimes but it does not stop me from shopping there. Look at some of the earlier responses from other members.

I have 3 or 4 guns from Cabela's over the years, a few scopes, decoys, and all sorts of stuff. Merely stating that customer service sometimes isn't what it could be does not in any way condemn the whole store/chain.

I could care less if you and your wife have sex in the middle of the floor in your local Cabela's, it is immaterial as hell with me, I sure ain't going to stop shopping there simply because their customer service leaves something to be desired on occasion.

Like I said, check out what some of the other responders have said, the ones before I made my first comment.

Man.....do you ever put down your shovel?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have two people on Ignore, one is Crazyhorse. Makes reviewing threads much more pleasant and trust me, you will not miss his pearls of wisdom. Now if folks would just stop quoting him . . . Smiler

Mike

Posts: 21395 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote