Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela's???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Since no one will read this, I will go ahead and give my opinion anyway. I merely related about one incident and people act like I am saying the place should be closed down.

Talk about not respecting people or the fact that they can have an opinion on a subject, some folks jump off the deep end over one little comment.

I haven't stopped shopping at Cabela's, don't plan to, I think it is a great place to shop and always look forward to going there.

One time, I go in the store, cash in hand to buy a new Leupold scope. Walked up to the scope counter and stand there for close to 10 minutes, looking thru the glass at the scopes, with no fewer than 5 customer service representatives standing behind the counter 40 feet away, occasionally cutting their eyes my direction, but not a single one of them making a move to ask me if they could help me or show me something. Apart from me and Lora, there were only two other customers in the area, and they were just walking around looking.

I was determined to stand at the counter another 5 minutes and then find one of the managers and complain. Lora gets tired first and goes over and asks for help and these guys look at each other and finally one of them comes over and acts like it was a bother. I already knew which scope I wanted to buy but simply wanted to make sure. After looking at it I told him I would take it and his demeanor changed and he became more friendly and helpful.

That was the only incident I ever had in a Cabela's store, but by merely relating it I am wrong and have no right to even mention such things. People want to put me on ignore help yourselves, I do not care.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I have two people on Ignore, one is Crazyhorse. Makes reviewing threads much more pleasant and trust me, you will not miss his pearls of wisdom. Now if folks would just stop quoting him . . . Smiler

Same here. The last straw for me was when he threatened another poster's son; I decided that I did not need to see any posts from someone that cowardly and unbalanced.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judas Priest! CHC makes one little comment about service that was nowhere near as bad as some other posts. Then some jackass keeps badgering the shit out of him and he was more than polite in all his responses until the last one about sex, LOL! If it had been me he was badgering he'd have been told to stick it up his rear where the sun don't shine by that time! Who gives a rat's azz if he got that rifle for f***ing free because it has nothing to do with what the thread is all about as far as customer service. Never thought that I'd be on here defending anyone but myself, but you guys are way out of line giving CHC all this shit for a simple post he made that was not offensive and the last one on sex in the store was flat azz funnier than shit!!! You guys need to get a life, LOL!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same here. The last straw for me was when he threatened another poster's son; I decided that I did not need to see any posts from someone that cowardly and unbalanced.

I never threatened anyone's son. the member pm'ed me and left his sons email address. I did not know it was his son folks, I thought it was the member himself.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

I never threatened anyone's son. the member pm'ed me and left his sons email address. I did not know it was his son folks, I thought it was the member himself.

So what you're saying is that you meant to threaten the member, not his son. Oh ... Well ... Hell! That's perfectly fine that you threatened the member, just so long as it wasn't his son!! diggin

YGBSM nilly

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
How will my efforts to ignore these posts ever be truly effective if folks continue to quote them and preserve them for prosperity? Cool

Please a little respect for those of us that are trying to avoid that inevitable feeling that results from reading these posts that your intelligence level has dropped several points. nilly

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not threatening anyone, he listed an address from Tarleton State University, I thought they might find it interesting that their internet service was being used to try and intimidate people on the internet.

I am sorry that you have developed such a hatred for me, but that is your deal, not mine.

The crap that went on between me and that person got both of us a two week vacation from AR. He made claims about me that were total lies.

Todd, I am sorry that me and you cannot get along. I enjoy reading your accounts of your hunts.

What I don't like is your attitude that I am some sort of inferior being, and that is how you come across. I merely stated that I had one bad experience at Cabela's, and you act like I want the place shut down. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

You have your opinion of me and there is not one damn thing I can do to change that.

I am sorry that having an opinion based on what I have experienced is so far beneath your standards, but that is the way things are sometimes.

But I can admit to this honestly, the BS about me threatening huntincats son is just that, BS. In fact all of the accusations he made are BS.

You believe what you want, nothing I say will change your opinion, but I have just as much right to my opinion as you do yours, and it is BS arguments like this that are going to end hunting and gun ownership. I have just as much right to own guns and buy hunting license as you do, but I really don't think you feel that way.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
How will my efforts to ignore these posts ever be truly effective if folks continue to quote them and preserve them for prosperity? Cool

Please a little respect for those of us that are trying to avoid that inevitable feeling that results from reading these posts that your intelligence level has dropped several points. nilly

homer lol

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Crazy,

I don't hate you. Not at all. You've got me all wrong if you think that is the case. I will say that your posts leave me scratching my head at times however.

I don't know of anyone who has said you don't have a right to express your opinion here or anywhere else. That certainly isn't my position. The problem seems to be that you don't respect other's rights to disagree with your opinions. Disagreeing with you is not the same as denying your rights. Not by a long shot.

The part that leaves me scratching my head, as mentioned above, is that you often take issue with guys who do agree with you. That one is a bit hard to figure out and it makes it appear you want to argue for the sake of arguing. I've agreed with you on numerous occasions and joined the conversation on your side, only to have you turn on me at that point.

No man, I don't hate you at all. Just can't figure out where you're coming from most of the time. That's all. Nothing more or less.

I will say however that your own comments indicated you threatened whomever the member was and instead of denying the threat, you said you sent whatever correspondence occurred to the son's email when in fact it was meant for the member. Again, that leaves me scratching my head.

Another theme common to your posts is that you think others view you as inferior. You mentioned this in the comment about being treated a certain way at Cabelas due to what you were wearing. You mentioned it again concerning me. I've never met you. Never spoken to you in any other medium than this forum. Not meaning to offend you but it seems this inferior complex is something you hold. People who know me well will tell you that when it comes to friends and who I associate with, I don't care at all about their color, creed, social or economic position. I care if a person is honest and trustworthy and beyond that, not much else.

Just back off some and take things a bit easier. Don't be so easily offended when you find disagreement. There are simply too many variations in the way people were raised, the way they live, their motivations, etc. to expect everyone to agree with you. Even your good friends will not see eye to eye with you at times.

It's all good. Chill out a bit and enjoy life man!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the internet, I do not get as offended as people think and I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinions.

I will defend my opinions, as will you and practically everyone else.

It is when I state an opinion on a subject and another person tells me how wrong I am, having that opinion, or how dumb my opinion is.

It is my opinion, based on my experiences. I do not ask or expect anyone to agree with my opinion, I will defend my opinion, but that is all it is, an opinion, nothing more. Everyone has the right to their opinion, whether that opinion makes sense to anyone else or not, it is their opinion.

My friends disagree with me and I have no problem with them, simply because they actually know me and have known me for a long time.

The internet does not provide that same situation. I have said before on other sites, that each and every person on these sites is probably a really good person and highly thought of by their family/friends and normal socio-economic peer group.

That does not mean that they will be friends with everyone/anyone on these sites. that is just the plain truth.

I don't join these sites looking for friends, I join them to gather information and knowledge and try to pass along the same. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

I am not real open to the concept some folks have that the internet is an accurate way of judging another persons character. I guess I am old fashioned or simple minded but I believe that the only way to measure a persons worth is to actually meet and interact with them. But many folks seem to believe that is not the way it should be done.

What I do believe, is that if people cannot find a way to at least get along to a reasonable level on these sites, we will have a hard time presenting a united front against those that want to take hunting and gun ownership from us.

I am tired of fighting with you folks, put me on ignore and leave me there, I can't or won't do whatever you folks require to be accepted by you and nothing is going to change on that front.

I do know that if folks like us cannot find some common ground concerning hunting/gun ownership, we are all going to lose and that is the pity of it all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My God man.I was going to leave this alone but you are lying again.I posted a response about
importing Oscelated turkeys.You called me a liar
so a member helped me post some pics of some of my trophies and proved you wrong.You then accused me of not being the one in those photos.I had my freshman son at tarleton take my photo with the mounted trophy and sent it to you via email to shut you up.Thats when you threatend HIM based on his address on the mail.
This is the whole real story.I gave up on calling you out on your truly stupid posts because i realized that nobody takes you serious
on this site.There are plenty of smart people here who I learn stuff from via their posts.
Man get a life.6900 posts proves you might need to get outside and hunt more and climb out of your moms basement.Cheers

Posts: 210 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And these are the days of our lives, LOL!!!

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs300:
Hey guys, gun shops all over the country are being hammered right now with everything that has been going on politically. I'm sure their sales people are feeling the stress as well. I waited in line for nearly 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago just to buy a new reloading manual. I'm giving my favorite sports store a pass until the chaos is over.

Completely agree. They're all getting unbelievable pressure. Either give a lot of slack or, if you want to avoid stress yourself, just stay away for the time being.

I expect this status to remain for a while until Congress puts the damper on administration efforts.

BTW, this is not unlike my daily experience working in a country with an overbearing bureaucracy. wave

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I do spend a lot of time at the Cabela's in PA. Only had one bad experience and that was with customer service at the gun counter. Wanted a Rem 20 ga slug gun for my wife. Dicks's sporting goods had one but wanted to compare prices. Since I have a Cabela's reward card it only made sense to get it from Cabela's. So when my number was called I told him what I was looking for. He said they didn't have one, made no effort to look for one, made no mention of showing me something else and had no motivation when I asked if they could order it. Normally I'll get the effort to try and make a sale but this guy was no where near motivated. I brought it up to the manager who tried to make it right but, I decided to politely tell him it wasn't worth the trouble. Went to Dick's and bought it the same day. Minus this one instance, I never had a problem. Just laying it all out to poor customer service. Since then I never had a problem but, I do know they are being swamped with the gun cntrl issue. I was there on New Year's day and I swear when the doors open the first 30 or so customers when right to the gun counter.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like them as much as I used to. They use to offer free shipping to cableas store if you ordered on line. They use to carry more than just the standard everyday hunting bullets like 375, 416, 458. I can never find and big bore bullets through them any more. They have also increased their cost to the customer and just plain rip you off on trade-ins now. some of the employees are way too pushy with what they think is awesome when you know they are full of crap. ah, they still have one of the bigger selections of stuff though. they have just REALLY downsized on everything they have in stock. they have almost nothing of interest to me any more. They also wont replace a gun you just bought if it is damaged from the factory

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much for that rifle,huh,huh???

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the overall jist of things before the discussion went south was that people occasionally have a less than perfect experience at a particular store, but that normally does not mean they are ready to see that store or that chain shut down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always had great customer service for online purchases/returns/warranty,etc. I can't comment on the stores themselves having only been in a couple.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have two people on Ignore, one is Crazyhorse. Makes reviewing threads much more pleasant and trust me, you will not miss his pearls of wisdom. Now if folks would just stop quoting him . . . Smiler

Mike, this only points to your intelligence...

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I do not care whether anyone takes me seriously or not. The intelligent people on this site seem to ignore me, so that gives prime evidence of your intelligence.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I respect Cabelas as an organization b/c they put some $$ where their mouth is by backing hunting & hunters & conservation in general and our 2nd Amendment.

My experience with online shopping has been fine, but my local store (Hamburg PA) is irritating. I realize they don't pay retail clerks big bucks, so they can't all be experts in their respective fields (ie: departments), but I get frustrated by an overall lack of knowledge by, it seems, many employees. And I ain't askin' questions about quantum physics.

Also, their lack of inventory items is discouraging. This store does not even CARRY .358 Win. ammo (which the sales guy said was never made & never existed) or .22 short hollow points. I really miss those smaller old time family- owned hunting shops, many of which are put out of business by being located near a Cabelas--big-box Walmart redux.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
And these are the days of our lives, LOL!!!

popcorn

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
As a former Cabela's Gun Library Outfitter (employee) at the Springfield, OR store who stuck it out for over a year, I can personally attest that their "Legendary Customer Service" and their "Legendary Training" are just that, legend. Loch Ness Monster type legend. They don't give a crap about their employees and it trickles down to "customer no service." I got several really good deals when I worked there, and so did many customers, however if myself or one of the employees that were "old school" customer service didn't help you, you didn't get help.

The store hired an old ass to manage the Gun Library to replace the highly knowledgeable Gun Library manager that WALKED OUT. The guy they hired has no business working with the public, let alone supervising employees. He is ignorant about guns, rude and not the person I would want supervising people who are paid (not very well I might add) to have the knowledge of ANY gun that walks in the front door or is located at any Cabela's. People expect you to be an expert on everything from a 1950's Astra 25ACP to a $10,000 Zoli.

Next time you call Cabela's or visit a store remember, the people working there make less than $10 an hour (I was making $9.785 after ONE YEAR in the Gun Library) and their real world customer service training is zero or almost zero.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
I respect Cabelas as an organization b/c they put some $$ where their mouth is by backing hunting & hunters & conservation in general and our 2nd Amendment.

My experience with online shopping has been fine, but my local store (Hamburg PA) is irritating. I realize they don't pay retail clerks big bucks, so they can't all be experts in their respective fields (ie: departments), but I get frustrated by an overall lack of knowledge by, it seems, many employees. And I ain't askin' questions about quantum physics.

Also, their lack of inventory items is discouraging. This store does not even CARRY .358 Win. ammo (which the sales guy said was never made & never existed) or .22 short hollow points. I really miss those smaller old time family- owned hunting shops, many of which are put out of business by being located near a Cabelas--big-box Walmart redux.

I get so tired of hearing people blame Cabela's or WallyWorld, etc for the demise of family owned stores.

The only reason that the mom and pop stores are put out of business when a Cabela's or WallyWorld, etc moves in is because people QUIT SUPPORTING THEM. If people continued to shop at these stores after a big box retailer moves in, they would survive. Economics 101.

If the mom and pop stores want to survive, they must adapt, change their business paradigm when one of these moves in.

Start stocking 358win ammo.
Start carrying the 22short HP's.
Carry the accessories that the big box can't.

Adapt or be gone.

Like the story of the two shoe salesman in Africa; one gave up because no one wore shoes, the other saw the same situation as endless opportunity.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote