New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wide 10 Pointer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shot a 24 1/4 inch wide ten pointer this past weekend. He was 7.5 years old and scored in the mid 150's. He would have been a low 160 but both his brow tines were broken. I caught him chasing a doe and shot him in the neck at 110 yards with my faithful Blaser R93 7mm Mag using a 140 grain Barnes X bullet. I have seen some multi-point deer that would have scored higher but decided to let them slide for another year. Besides even though it nothing more than air I really like wide spreads. Here is a pic.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That is awsome. I like that buck a lot.

Congratulations.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

posted Hide Post
damn nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey M16-nice deer, if you get a minute could you post the mea for me. Not being a jerk here just wondering I did my math and guess work and would like to know what he taped on the measurements.

OK I am bored and can't leave the office so I am playing...

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have the measurements at the ranch and the antlers are at the taxidermist. Just going from memory (which is probably faulty) but this will be pretty close.

Left beam 25
Right beam 26
Inside spread 22
total tines on left 25
total tines on right 27
Mass 31
Total 156

These are not the exact measurements but are as close as I can remember. Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations -- another nice one.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Damn good buck M16! Congratulations. thumb

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the deer from earlier this year when he was still in velvet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, really nice.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks-nice deer, perhaps we need to trade a bear hunt up here for a venado hunt with you...

I put the numbers on a sticky note while sitting here waiting for the phone to ring, Ah the life of Real Estate.

This is what I'd come up with.

inside=22
main beams=50 (I gave them 25's)
H's=34 (I gave them a 5 and three 4's)

Left side
g1=1.5
g2=6
g3=9
g4=6

right side
g1=5
g2=5
g3=9
g4=6

I think that adds to 153.5 gross

sound somewhat about right??

Thanks for sharing

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey M16, Congratulations on a great Trophy Buck.

How much do you think he weighed?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His field dressed weight was 153 pounds. I shot a cull seven point last week that field dressed 182. They have been running the does hard for the last couple of weeks and have lost some of the body weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey M16, Now that is an interesting observation about the 7-pointer weighing more.

I believe our Carolina Deer seem to be the largest in weight from 4.5-6.5 years old and then begin going down. Some of it in our situation is due to the HIGH Sand content of the soil which wears their Grinding teeth down.

Also agree with the Rut wearing the Bucks down with all the Romance and Fighting going on. We seem to have a Minor Rut in October, the Major Rut in November and another Minor Rut in December.

Do you all have the Sandy soil? Do your Deer typically reach their best weight from 4.5-6.5 years like ours do?
---

Are you the person that showed us a fine new Deer Hunting 4-wheeler earlier this year? If so, how is it doing?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sand can really be a factor in wearing their teeth down. I think supplemental feeding helps the deer keep their teeth longer. The soil on my ranch is not very sandy except in a few areas. My neighbor has a deer that they tagged as a fawn and he is 14 years old this year. Most of our heaviest deer are usually 6.5 to 7.5 years old.

I have the EZGO four wheeler sitting outside my stand at this moment as I type this. Ain't technology grand. Who would have ever thought that you would be able to surf the internet while sitting in a deer stand. The EZGO has worked very well although it has been dry this year so I didn't get to try it in the mud. I mainly got it for wet weather so I don't rut up the roads. My neighbor bought a Kubota and it is an awesome machine. I would probably go with the Kubota if I had to do it all over again but my brother in law is a EZGO dealer so I bought one from him to keep peace in the family.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice buck...I'm partial to wide deer since I haven't shot that many...when those old heavy horned basket racks show up with long tines and mass I usually can't help myself! Don't have the patience to wait! Are the bucks through running?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Eeker

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what the string of quotes is all about, but here is one I know the source of:

"Yes, Termite Food can make a right Pretty stock (if you don't care about constant warping), but you for absolutely sure can not Pretty them to death" - Hot Core
--

Hey M16, Your Stand is within a WiFi Zone?!?! AMAZING!!!

We had some fairly nice Stands for a long time. Some had roofs, one had a nice large swivel rocking "Leather" Manager's Office Chair that allowed you to lean back after a BIG BBQ dinner, ease your feet up onto the rail and catch afew winks before the afternoon sun got into position. Most all of them had walls to help hide small movements.

Had some with Trophy Deer flicks mounted inside Plastic so you could see the Deer and make you feel bad if you shot something smaller. Big Grin

quote:
my brother in law is a EZGO dealer so I bought one from him to keep peace in the family.
Big Grin

Sounds like an excellent reason to me. Wink People can say what ever they want, but keeping the Lady in your life happy should always be a top priority.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! thumb

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M-16, He's great! I love those wide boys. He looks to have great mass for that part of the world. I've seen a lot of deer that were wide and/or had good tine length, but when you throw in that mass it's great.

I do like the idea of a stand in a wi-fi area!

Merry Christmas--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking buck, M16. Looks like your Blazer has come through again.

quote:
Who would have ever thought that you would be able to surf the internet while sitting in a deer stand.

Now that's wild..I thought I was bad. Sitting talking to my son on the cell phone from the stand. I looked over in the seat of my Bronco and started laughing the other day. I had: cell phone, walkie talkie, range finder, gps and dig. camera.

Again, congrats on the buck thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it wi-fi but GSM. All I know is that if you can get cellular service you can get internet. My laptop has a little card that plugs into it and for 59.95 a month I have internet access at the ranch. I am approx. 70 miles from a major city (San Antonio). I know it's shameful surfing the net while hunting but I can't help it!

Bwanamrm, The peak of the rut seems to be over. There will still be plenty of rutting activity occuring. Now is my favorite time to hunt. The bucks really start moving trying to find a doe in heat. I am just culling eight pointers and does but if a 180 class show himself I don't think I could let him slide. I will stop by and say hello one of these days.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Strange rut this year...seemed late compared to last year and the full moon didn't help. I'm headed to Webb county over the New Year's weekend to see wht is shaking but that is the earliest I can get back. Good luck...hope that 180 shows himself!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Bwanamrm, The peak of the rut seems to be over. There will still be plenty of rutting activity occuring. Now is my favorite time to hunt. The bucks really start moving trying to find a doe in heat.

I like it myself -- you just never know what will turn up.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Fine animal -- I hunt out west and have never even seen a Whitetail in the wild. I'm nearly 60 now and have taken more than 50 mule deer since about 60' or so.
Just once before I have to hang it up I'd like to hunt for Whitetail. We score them different, call them different, but they are all beautiful animals.
I bought a 2005 Rhino 660 in August of last year and have had a ball, from the dove hunt to the duck hunt and deer hunt, what a super way to hunt. I looked up the EZGO and found it to be an interesting vehicle, but I couldn't seem to find any info on the Kubota. The only reference I see is to a series of tractors? I'd like to look at one? Any ideas?
Merry Christmas to all.....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
I don't think it wi-fi but GSM. ... I am approx. 70 miles from a major city (San Antonio). ...
Hey M16, A bit different than what I had pictured, but it obviously works well for you.

I had Wi-Fi on my mind because there is some interest in setting it up along the Appalachians to allow quicker access for those folks. It would work in areas where Cellphone coverage is sparse to nonexistant.

Anyway, I am familiar with the technology you are using and see it advertised over here.

Best of luck to you on the rest of the Season.

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I did find the Kubota, good looking machine. Found it on the Side x Side Forum.... I'm looking at the varible needle setup for the carb and the adjust. airbox.. I had the Rhino power out on a steep hill at about 9500' elev., not enough O2. Still a nice deer.....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote