Find
Notify
Tools

Whats a good GPS?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
For the 2017 hunting season I plan on buying a GPS to load the land status map into. I just have no idea where to even start with looking for a GPS.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like Garmin GPS I brought a 650T a very nice unit.

The land status maps are great save a lot of hassle and opens up areas because one knows where the property lines are.

Use them on my Montana hunt this fall a great asset

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure hope the land maps are better than their road maps are. Those things WILL get you lost and run you around in circles and the long way around. Even in an imported fancy Volvo SUV!!
Or the one's in a brand new Freightliner OTR truck apparently.

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Not sue of the latest models but I have been using a Garmin Oregon for years, never failed.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
honestly, i use my phone as my GPS normally. i did, however, buy a garmin delorme inReach this year. it's a gps as well as it lets me text via satellite, and has an SOS button in case things go south and i need rescuing.

i have not played around with the full functionalities of the gps on the inReach, i downloaded a few maps and marked a few waypoints, but i was primarily interested in having waypoints marked as a backup to my phone, and the ability to text my wife and let her know i had not been turned into bear scat.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
honestly, i use my phone as my GPS normally. i did, however, buy a garmin delorme inReach this year. it's a gps as well as it lets me text via satellite, and has an SOS button in case things go south and i need rescuing.

i have not played around with the full functionalities of the gps on the inReach, i downloaded a few maps and marked a few waypoints, but i was primarily interested in having waypoints marked as a backup to my phone, and the ability to text my wife and let her know i had not been turned into bear scat.

I used my iPhone this year after watching guides in Alaska in Sep use it. I downloaded a map application, and made sure to download the maps while I had a wifi signal. Many people think the GPS in your phone requires a signal from a wireless tower or wifi signal, but it does not.

My phone was good enough to help me find my stand in the dark in Nov when I "thought" I knew exactly how to get to it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure hope the land maps are better than their road maps are

Unlike roads lands where you most need a GPS do not change much.

I found the X hunt map chip we used in Montana to be accurate. We would be traveling there would be a property marker the gps would spot on when one crossed the boundary.

Had a rancher question us as he heard shooting he didn't try and kick us off but he sure didn't like us being there.

We told him we were on BLM land and show him the GPS he said well I guess you are. It was no question we were it was a couple square mile block.

I asked well were is your property line his comment was I don't carry a GPS.

I certain if we did not have the property chip he would have hassled us more.

Every one who hunts public land intermixed with private should have one.

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have several GPS units. I have a Garmin etrex 30 that I use with an OnX chip. I also wear a Garmin basic Fenix watch. I personally like to use the Fenix mostly and Etrex as backup and for the detailed mapping. I hunted NM an CO this year and especially CO there was quite a bit of private. As the other person had said it is great to keep you where you need to be. If you don't have, a landowner or another hunter could bluff you about where you are at. It can and does happen!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not go hunting out of state with out a GPS with a XHunt chip in it. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Using a map I would find a lot of BLM that was fenced in and that's what has convinced me to go with a GPS .

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
Using a map I would find a lot of BLM that was fenced in and that's what has convinced me to go with a GPS .

The X hunt chip Oldbiker and I used this fall in Montana worked very well. I would recommend every body in the party have one. Then they can wander about with out getting into trouble.

We also had paper maps they give a much broader overview.