Another Elk Taken With 300 Grain SMK
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted
Originaly posted here;

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=236373

quote:
Had a great opening weekend here in Montana. I was hunting in a special draw area and had successfully drew a Cow Elk Permit.
Sunday evening had a great stalk on a Cow at 1000 yards. Cut the gap to 780 yards and was all set for the shot.
Unfortunately the only shot presented had a calf too close to the Cow for a safe shot.
The following evening I found a single cow feeding out the bottom of a drainage.
Ranged her at 525 yards and was all set up for the shot. Slipped the 300 gr SMK in her armpit breaking the opposite shoulder. Awesome performance!!!

Here is the area I was hunting. Burned up 3 years ago.

Found this cat track hiking out of the drainage. 338 cartrige for reference.

[/QUOTE]

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Did YOU actually shoot this elk, or is this just another item from another board altogether that you decided to post here (like your last MK thread)?

Just wondering...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Did YOU actually shoot this elk, or is this just anotehr item from another board altogether that you decided to post here (like your last thread)?

Just wondering...

No I did not shoot this Elk it is a post from LRH that I brought over here.
Sorry if it was confuseing

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sunday evening had a great stalk on a Cow at 1000 yards. Cut the gap to 780 yards

Yep, that's stalking, alright... coffee

On another note altogether, you'd think that if the shooter wanted his elk photo and info posted here, he would have done so himself -- and the same goes for the earlier elk - MK thread to which you had no connection.

Did you clear it with the other forum administrator before using the items over here?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
at 1000 yards, isn't stalking just walking? sure, they have good eyesight, but i wouldn't consider that stalking!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
boy oh boy...another one of these threads.

These things wear me out. horse

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Bobby whaat exactly is your problem with the SMK threads? Me not having anything to do with the kills does not change the fact that they were one shot kils and THE SMKs IME act very much like any other cup and core non premium lead core bullet. It is very apparent that your bias is showing. Are the SMKs TSX no and I never ever said that they were, but as a long range bullet for hunting they work and have for many for a very long time (that's years). If you do not like the threads ignore them. I sure as hell don't need your permission

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine if everyone that killed an elk with a nosler partition decided to post a picture and start a new thread?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is: The folks who actually killed the elk did not even start the thread here. The info and photos were swiped from another board entirely.

And the same topic certainly didn't warrant a second thread while the first -- with the same old subject matter -- is still on page one. Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
The funny thing is: The folks who actually killed the elk did not even start the thread here. The info and photos were swiped from another board entirely.

And the same topic certainly didn't warrant a second thread while the first -- with the same old subject matter -- is still on page one. Roll Eyes

Poor Bobby has his panties in a wad. CRYBABY

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jwp475 wrote:
quote:
It is very apparent that your bias is showing.

No, that's incorrect as I have no bias. I base what I say on fact. If I have nothing substantive to back it up, I won't even comment.

So what actually does show is EXPERIENCE -- quite a bit, I might add -- along with the the reasoning ability and common sense to choose a proper bullet for big game.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp475 wrote:
quote:
It is very apparent that your bias is showing.

No, that's incorrect as I have no bias. I base what I say on fact. If I have nothing substantive to back it up, I won't even comment.

So what actually does show is EXPERIENCE -- quite a bit, I might add -- along with the the reasoning ability and common sense to choose a proper bullet for big game.

Define "Proper Game Bullet"

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That would be a bullet matched to the game and also one that performs optimally at the velocity range you'll be launching it at. Other variables come in to play, but those two things form the very basis for selecting the "proper game bullet" for the task at hand.

It's really pretty simple -- for most of us, at least.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
I've shot a mule deer buck @ 804 yards with the 300 grain smk out of a 338 edge, and it was dead as fried chicken. My friend shot one @ 170 yards and it also was dead on impact. He also shot a doe antelope @ 825 yards same thing. Where did the bullet fail, you guys need to get real. Even if the bullet breaks in two it's still like you shot it twice with a 308. Or maybe it might break in three parts, that would be kind of like a 243. I don't mean to be mister smarty pants but come on it's three hundred grains. My CPA just shot a bull moose with the same set up @ 248 yards it made it twelve yards before nocking over a small tree while dieing. After opening every animal I would say that the damage is severe, yet I'm not sure if lightning would do a better job. And no we have not wounded anything.

In the words of the late great Kearnel Sanders. I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!

One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
Cars, what is the impact velocity range with the 300 SMK? At what speed is it going too slow to expand. And what is too fast to penetrate elk?

Thanks

posted Hide Post
Um what range? I also know what I can and can't do i do not have the faith to go beyond 900 yards right now but it still is super sonic and opens just fine there yeti.

posted Hide Post
Oh ya and @ 2965 fps at 12 feet from the muzzle that just doesn't seem to be the issue

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I suggest you see about a black market howitzer, or maybe a Predator drone, if you can afford it. That way, you can sit a few more miles away or better yet, operate a joystick from the comfort of your home and not even have to bother with gutting and other stuff hunters have to deal with. Of course, the hero shots will likely suffer a bit...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
I suggest you see about a black market howitzer, or maybe a Predator drone, if you can afford it. That way, you can sit a few more miles away or better yet, operate a joystick from the comfort of your home and not even have to bother with gutting and other stuff hunters have to deal with. Of course, the hero shots will likely suffer a bit...

Hero shots???? Not for those that know what they are doing. The odds are that I have shot more rounds at 1K that most here have ever sent down the tube. Yes there are some that do not have the equipment, experience, or knowledge to be taking these shots but because they read magazines or on the internet everyone thinks they can do it. It is not easy to learn this skill and it takes time. I have dies that are specifically made to point up certain bullets so that the meplat is completely uniform, also measure and sort by bearing surface every bullet that I shoot to ensure consistent velocity. Check each round for concentricity to guarantee that the bullet is entering the lands square. Will not even go into the brass preparation but it suffices to say that if you have the proper equipment and knowledge to use it a long rang shot is not a problem. Will be the first to admit that most of what I do is a waste on a factory rifle however, I do not shoot factory rifles so the inherent inadequacies resulting in variances of a factory rifle are not a factor in my shooting. If a bad shot is made it is my fault not the equipment—this applies for competition as well as the field

Just make sure that before you include everyone in the “hero shot†category you know what you are talking about otherwise, you look as if you are not fully informed about your subject matter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be a bullet matched to the game and also one that performs optimally at the velocity range you'll be launching it at. Other variables come in to play, but those two things form the very basis for selecting the "proper game bullet" for the task at hand.

archer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
aol.com
quote:

Simple is it, this was e-mailed to me by a friend of mine these are his words (not mine)

quote:
200 gr Nosler partitions recovered from an American Bison Killed on Henry Mountains in Utah.
Bullet on the right broke the shoulder but did not go any further resulting in a very long afternoon of tracking. The bullet upon recovery weighs 74.9 gr.
The other bullet out of the same buffalo weighs 92.5 gr upon recovery.

I guess according to your definition then the 200 Partition in this case was not a "suitable game bullet"

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

Apparently it isn't for many with a LOT of game experience

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/234103709/p/1
quote:
Saeed
Administrator
Posted Nov 18, 11:24 AM Hide Post
We were going to go on safari to South Africa in 2002. And as on a previous hunt there, we found that sometimes one has to take rather long shots at some animals.

So we built a rifle specially for this purpose, and chambered it for our 30/404 wildcat.

I tried differnt makes of 180 grain bullets in it, and we got over 3400 fps with all of them with very good accuracy.

So, in the interest of testing, I loaded several different types of 180 grain bullets in it.

Including the Sierra Match Kings.

Our first hunting area was in Zululand, for zebra, reedbuck and nyala. All of these were shot at relatively close range.

I used the 180 grain Match King bullets, and all worked very well.

They did fall apart, but not any more than normal soft points as loaded by the factories.

As a matter of choice, I prefer bullets that hold together and penetrate rather than those that expand explosively for hunting.

But if my only choice is between Match Kings or normal factory soft point, I would pick the Match Kings.

www.accuratereloading.com

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:

I wish you well in your recovery... thumb

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the same topic certainly didn't warrant a second thread while the first -- with the same old subject matter -- is still on page one.

isn't the internet fun, bobby?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jwp and boss hoss-

I relent and now have seen the light. From this day forward, I shall worship the very ground you walk on and shoot nothing but MatchKings on game, for the vastness of your knowledge and incredible insight have shown me AND MANY OTHERS the way.

No other bullet shall ever suffice. No other bullet is bound for the glory. For me, it's the MatchKing, that heavenly-sent projectile that needs no guidance to travel its course.

I now will get some for my .410 shotgun. It should turn it into a 1000 yard deer-dropper.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
edited

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby for some one who used a recure bow backwards to kill a deer can a match king bullet be any worse. stir

Every thought it was great that I use a non expanding 215 gr hard cast at 1050 fps to kill a deer How can a MK jbe any worse. Excuse me as long as the bullet gets into the vitals and kills the critter who cares what kind it was.

How to afican hunters use any soilds to kill any critter How to round balls out of a Muzzle loader kill any thing ect ect.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There is a HUGE difference between using a large-caliber bullet that cuts a LARGE wound channel than using a small caliber that may or may not expand.

I use a 320 grain Cast Performance bullet in a .44 Magnum and have used it in a number of revolvers for several years now. It kills extremely well. Then again, its performance is PREDICTABLE.

The same can't be said for a MatchKing.

AS to my earlier post, it has less to do with the bullet itself than in the presentation of the posters therein named.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Any bullet put into and through the vitals is very predictable in that the animal is dead.

The self rightousness is unbecoming.. Like it or not the SMK's as well as other Match bullets such as JLK's Bergers, Etc. have been working in the long range hunting community for decades. But of course if Bobby Temeck can't see it then it's wrong.

Bobby as far as presentation is concerned you need to look in the mirror Dude. Your not gods gift to this forum beleive it or not

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't dare try and take YOUR title... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

And this from a man who srung his up recurve backwards and then went hunting with it. Yea I really need to take your advice, don't I? NOT

Yep, your really the all out authority of right and wrong in the hunting world.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I guess to each his own. Personally, I like to see how close I can get and use the best bullet I can find for a particular size of game. I don't understand the thrill of shooting an animal over half a mile away, but I do know that it takes either an inordinate amount of skill, an inordinate amount of luck, or a combination of the two. I know I haven't developed the skill to shoot that far and be 100% sure the bullet will hit where I'm aiming.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:

And this from a man who srung his up recurve backwards and then went hunting with it. Yea I really need to take your advice, don't I? NOT

Yep, your really the all out authority of right and wrong in the hunting world.

I think that that says a lot about Bobby---poor guy does not know how to pour pee out of his boot with the directions written on the heel.

Some people can and others can't --- he is definitely of the latter!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
boss hoss wrote:
quote:
poor guy does not know how to pour pee out of his boot with the directions written on the heel.

Hmmmmm..... And you can actually READ Sierra's directions and yet can't follow them, as in: "Sierra does NOT recommend MatchKings for hunting."???

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
boss hoss wrote:
quote:
poor guy does not know how to pour pee out of his boot with the directions written on the heel.

Hmmmmm..... And you can actually READ Sierra's directions and yet can't follow them, as in: "Sierra does NOT recommend MatchKings for hunting."???

And of course you ignore the reason "why" Sierra will not ever recomend them for hunting. As you have allready stated Berger would not recomend their "Match" bullets for hunting as long as they were trying to get the Military contract that Sierra had/has. Yet once they gave up on replacing the SMK as the bullet of choice for the Military, they suddenly became "great hunting bullets" with no changes to their construction what so ever.

It's a "no brainer" to killing game much like "real Estate, Location, Location, Location. Very simple for most
Should I post the Jag ruling again.. Or can you read it from atop of your "soap box"?

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To shoot at an unwounded game animal at over 500 yds. is unsportsmanlike behavior, not something to brag about. For every clean kill made at these ranges a half dozen are left gut shot or crippled, left to die a slow lingering death because some inadequate slob hunter is too lazy to close the distance. I shoot paper out to 1,000 yards and even at 600 yds.or less it it extremely easy to have a bullet go astray.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
A true dedicated long range hunter is not a "Slob" are not the same and shoulder not be confused.

A true dedicated Long Range Hunter spend the time to hone his ability's and the money to accquire the needed euipment

Such as the following

Ballistics cards

A pocket Weather Station and han held computer with ballistics soft ware on it

An accurate rifle with a suitable long range scope that is repeatable in adjustments for ballistic corrections for the desired yardage

As a long range target shooter I am sure that you are allready aware of this.

- Winston Churchill