Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for me on your comments swampshooter

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Since hunting is defined as the activity or sport of pursuing and killing game, I'd have trouble saying shooting from excessive distances qualifies as hunting since pursuit is nil. But, as I said previously, to each his own.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Since hunting is defined as the activity or sport of pursuing and killing game, I'd have trouble saying shooting from excessive distances qualifies as hunting since pursuit is nil. But, as I said previously, to each his own.

Define "Pursuit" contrary to what many think one doesnot automaticaly find game suitable for the taking just because he is prepaired to shoot from distance, in fact one may not see on at all.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i sure feel sorry for your wife, jwp -

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP475, Take your long range target shooting equipment and shoot at targets as it it intended. ANYONE who shoots at live, uncrippled game at over 500 or even over 350 yds. is a slob hunter. These are the jerks that leave crippled, dying game all over the woods and give all hunters a bad name. Hunting should be the humane harvest of a surplus of game or varmints, ultra-long range plinking at live animals is not hunting.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
JWP475, Take your long range target shooting equipment and shoot at targets as it it intended. ANYONE who shoots at live, uncrippled game at over 500 or even over 350 yds. is a slob hunter. These are the jerks that leave crippled, dying game all over the woods and give all hunters a bad name. Hunting should be the humane harvest of a surplus of game or varmints, ultra-long range plinking at live animals is not hunting.

No A dedicated Long Range hunter is not a slob hunter and no they do not "wound game all over the woods"

Do a bit of research;

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:

Define "Pursuit" contrary to what many think one doesnot automaticaly find game suitable for the taking just because he is prepaired to shoot from distance, in fact one may not see on at all.
I've said my piece...at least, all of it I'm gonna say, other than to say I hope no novice hunters buy into the ultralong range hunting stuff. I have no interest in getting into a pissin' match. You don't really want to know my opinion anyway.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've said my piece...at least, all of it I'm gonna say, other than to say I hope no novice hunters buy into the ultralong range hunting stuff. I have no interest in getting into a pissin' match. You don't really want to know my opinion anyway.

You're entitled to the way you want to hunt as are others. You do not need to change your opion if you do not wish to. There are many ways to hunt and harvest game and I am not opposed to any of them as long as they are legal

I have taken much game with a handgun and a few with a bow, compentency is the key IMHO

Happy hunting and may the "Hunting Gods Smile On You"

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
To shoot at an unwounded game animal at over 500 yds. is unsportsmanlike behavior, not something to brag about. For every clean kill made at these ranges a half dozen are left gut shot or crippled, left to die a slow lingering death because some inadequate slob hunter is too lazy to close the distance. I shoot paper out to 1,000 yards and even at 600 yds.or less it it extremely easy to have a bullet go astray.

Just because your equipment and ability are limited you should not condemn those that do have the rifles and knowledge to effectively deliver a bullet at its intended target at long range. Slob Hunter??? You sir with all due respect an idiot who knows not of what he speaks! People who hunt and there is nothing wrong with that but the Wal-Mart rifles, scopes and ammunition are not suitable for long range shooting. Now go back to your single or double wide and contemplate that.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
boss hoss wrote:
quote:
poor guy does not know how to pour pee out of his boot with the directions written on the heel.

Hmmmmm..... And you can actually READ Sierra's directions and yet can't follow them, as in: "Sierra does NOT recommend MatchKings for hunting."???

And of course you ignore the reason "why" Sierra will not ever recomend them for hunting. As you have allready stated Berger would not recomend their "Match" bullets for hunting as long as they were trying to get the Military contract that Sierra had/has. Yet once they gave up on replacing the SMK as the bullet of choice for the Military, they suddenly became "great hunting bullets" with no changes to their construction what so ever.

It's a "no brainer" to killing game much like "real Estate, Location, Location, Location. Very simple for most
Should I post the Jag ruling again.. Or can you read it from atop of your "soap box"?

John---we had a good laugh about this on the phone--give me a call later and I will fill you in.. Some folks are just not the sharpest tools in the shed...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
give me a call later and I will fill you in..

you do that.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
quote:

you do that but I will not be here I have a NAMBLA Meeting to attend.

See I told you that the "boyz" site was not right!!!!! Pretty scary stuff they are into!! Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
nice editing job! wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 52 years experience as an avid hunter, i also have the ability and the equipment, You can't get hunting experience on the computer and you can't buy the ability to make long range kills. If you had the ability, you would have enough experience to know better.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 52 years experience as an avid hunter, i also have the ability and the equipment, You can't get hunting experience on the computer and you can't buy the ability to make long range kills. If you had the ability, you would have enough experience to know better.

If I do not feel confident in making a killing first round hit, then the decesion is easy no shot is fired. Distance is irrelevent in this decision, conditions is the detemining factor.

The self rightousness is so evident the "my experience and ability trumps yours" attitude is apparent

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just because you wear depends it does not make you a great shot. How many State 1K Championships have you won? How many range records for closest to the actual center of the bull do you hold? Well do I stutter or do your ears flap! You had better quit before you completely soil (big job) your depends!! Now that you have been spanked in front of the class go and sit down!! Big Grin

You claim to have the "experience"!!!!!!! Here is your own post....

Posted 01 August 2008 09:04
due to age of 62 have decided to quite hunting and take up f-class.bought a savage #12 f-class rifle un 6.5x284 and lapua brass. would i gain enough accuracy with this combo to justify neck turning brass?

Sorry but anyone who has to ask that question esp with a factory rifle and tube does not have the knowledge and experience one claims! There are so many ways I could run with that one it makes me drool!!!! dancing

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
boss hoss wrote:
quote:
Just because you wear depends it does not make you a great shot. How many State 1K Championships have you won? How many range records for closest to the actual center of the bull do you hold? Well do I stutter or do your ears flap! You had better quit before you completely soil (big job) your depends!! Now that you have been spanked in front of the class go and sit down!!

That was totally out of line and uncalled for. But I am not surprised by it. After all, aren't you the same guy who ridiculed a handicapped hunter because of the width of his feet?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What was the reasoning behind posting the LRH link, jwp475? You've been here long enough to know how these posts turn nasty.

Were you trying to enlighten us here on AR? Trying to drum up new recruits?

Bored, so you decided to stir the pot a bit? stir

How come every one of these super long range posts is a success? None of your ilk ever posts pics of a cripple.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
boss hoss wrote:
quote:
Just because you wear depends it does not make you a great shot. How many State 1K Championships have you won? How many range records for closest to the actual center of the bull do you hold? Well do I stutter or do your ears flap! You had better quit before you completely soil (big job) your depends!! Now that you have been spanked in front of the class go and sit down!!

That was totally out of line and uncalled for. But I am not surprised by it. After all, aren't you the same guy who ridiculed a handicapped hunter because of the width of his feet?

Run with the Big Dogs or stay on the Porch!

I have no tolerance for IDIOTS young or old ----make stupid statements and that is the way it is!

The other issue you know nothing about and you are wrong. Technically you are not correct so once again you have inserted foot and opened mouth!!!
Believe me you do not want to open up that one again---there is a lot more to the background of that comment that the individual involved does not want to be discussed on the board and I am sure he appreciates you being the ignorant but well intentioned type to bring it up again.

Now where were we?? Oh---long range hunting—yeah I remember and it is always better to shoot at short range but if long range is required AND THE CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE then and only then do I pull the trigger on a game animal. Vermin including feral hogs do not count and I will take a marginal shot on those. One reason is both of our biologists (state and federal) have advised to eradicate several specific types of vermin however we can.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
ANYONE who shoots at live, uncrippled game at over 500 or even over 350 yds. is a slob hunter.

Add me to the slob list.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
So, taking long shots at game makes one a "slob hunter"? I'll tell you what I think is a slob hunter (who coined this unimaginative term?? Confused). It's the jackass who doesn't pick his rifle up until a day or two before opening day. You know, he's the one you hear firing multiple shots at close range, obviously missing or wounding the deer for his efforts. Lot's of folks have no business taking shots at close range. It's a matter of competance and practice, not some imaginery range that we have somehow determined to be unethical. JMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
boss hoss wrote:
quote:

I don't run with any dogs. I don't tolerate the fleas.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
boss hoss wrote:
quote:

I don't run with any dogs. I don't tolerate the fleas.

holycow That was a good one---hitting the rack now. Have a 650 mile drive tomorrow to see my smith's to pick up a couple of builds. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
What was the reasoning behind posting the LRH link, jwp475? You've been here long enough to know how these posts turn nasty.

How come every one of these super long range posts is a success? None of your ilk ever posts pics of a cripple.

Are you suggesting that the only info that should be shared on this site is the info that all agree with. Are you suggesting that new ways to git er done should not be explored, because some are not willing. With that view it's amazing that we aren't still throwing rocks and stampeding game off of cliffs.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp475 wrote:
quote:
It is very apparent that your bias is showing.

No, that's incorrect as I have no bias. I base what I say on fact. If I have nothing substantive to back it up, I won't even comment.

So what actually does show is EXPERIENCE -- quite a bit, I might add -- along with the the reasoning ability and common sense to choose a proper bullet for big game.

But apparently you'll post it like here

That is your bow is it not? It is strung backwards is it not?

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=736102479#736102479

I'd like to hear more about your knowledge and EXPERIENCE

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How is 350 yards ultra-long range...??? Roll Eyes

My last "Hunting" rifle was zero'd at 500 yards.

3000 yards is ultra-long range...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:

Are you suggesting that the only info that should be shared on this site is the info that all agree with. Are you suggesting that new ways to git er done should not be explored, because some are not willing. With that view it's amazing that we aren't still throwing rocks and stampeding game off of cliffs.

Not suggesting anything, just asking for your thought process as to 'why' you posted such a thread that time and time again invariably starts a pissing match.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
jwp475 wrote:
quote:

No, that's incorrect as I have no bias. I base what I say on fact. If I have nothing substantive to back it up, I won't even comment.

So what actually does show is EXPERIENCE -- quite a bit, I might add -- along with the the reasoning ability and common sense to choose a proper bullet for big game.

Pathetic just pathetic!!! The guys that get on here and cry the loudest about ethics or what bullet someone else is using to kill there game with turn out to be the biggest IDIOTS!!!! Eeker

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jwp475-

That has NOTHING to do with MatchKings, and I don't have to justify anything to you -- especially considering your "experience."

You go hunting elk with a rifle that you haven't even practiced with under field shooting conditions. Remember this:

"I didn't see the Bull untill I raised my rifle and looked through my scope which was still set on 10X. I emediately put the crosshair tight behind the shoulder at about 150 yardes and let fly a 300 grain SMK. That was the first time that I had fired that rifle freehand..."

Now, isn't that something?

Your method is simple: You take threads from OTHER people and OTHER boards and start your own. You have nothing substantive to contribute.

And when someone doesn't agree with you, you resort to personal attacks.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp475-

That has NOTHING to do with MatchKings, and I don't have to justify anything to you -- especially considering your "experience."

You go hunting elk with a rifle that you haven't even practiced with under field shooting conditions. Remember this:

"I didn't see the Bull untill I raised my rifle and looked through my scope which was still set on 10X. I emediately put the crosshair tight behind the shoulder at about 150 yardes and let fly a 300 grain SMK. That was the first time that I had fired that rifle freehand..."

Now, isn't that something?

Your method is simple: You take threads from OTHER people and OTHER boards and start your own. You have nothing substantive to contribute.

And when someone doesn't agree with you, you resort to personal attacks.

I'll certainly match ny experience against yours any day, at least I know how to 'String a recurve". While I did not shhot that rifle off hand before that day I do shoot a lot off hand shots to distance including handguns to distance and I use scope enought aht unlike you I don't have to find my target after I look through them. I have taken ground squirrels off hand at farther distance with a heavy varmint barreled 22-250 that is as heavy as the 338. How far are you fron Paris, Texas I would love to see first hand your great knowledge and "experience" in action
You have certaqinly shown your lack of knowledge in this thread and I certtainly have lost all respect for you

Yea you really show your intellegence, and I certainly do not need to justify any thing to your self rightous Azz. You aren't the internet police despite your delusion

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Bobby I'd love to buy you for what your worth and the sell you for what you think your worth. Then I be independently wealthy.

Do by all means humor us with more of your words of wisdom and "experience"
Should I post the picture of the backwards strung recurve again as proof of your knowledge and expereince?

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Again, it has NOTHING to do with this thread.

I've just found the perfect use for the ignore button...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
jwp475 wrote:
quote:

Again your knowledge is apparent, thanks for sharing

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were going to call a man's intelligence into question, I'd endeavor to spell 'intellegence' correctly. That's just me though.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again, it has NOTHING to do with this thread.

I've just found the perfect use for the ignore button...

Your too priceless to ignore thumb

Your clueless is why your think it is off topic. You stated that your only posted things that you were sure of, you just can't accept your own ineptness and lack of know of all things
I would not want to miss any of your "experienced" words of wisdom.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barutmt:
If I were going to call a man's intelligence into question, I'd endeavor to spell 'intellegence' correctly. That's just me though.

Do doctors have a low intellegence? I've seen many of them miss spell words? Just wondering?

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barutmt:

Do doctors have a low intellegence? I've seen many of them miss spell words? Just wondering?

On a discussion forum the most efficient way to judge the intelligence of a fellow poster, and thereby assess their credibility, is by their use of the written language. I do not make a habit of correcting other's posts. I am not a grammar Nazi. I simply found it humorous that while calling Mr. Tomek's intelligence into question you wrote 'intellegence'.

To answer your question:

On average I would imagine that doctors are more intelligent than the average person. They are definitely more educated. A failure to spell words correctly shows a lack of care, a lack of intelligence, or that the writer is a member of the text-message generation. Judging by your admittedly extensive experience (which indicates that you're well past your teenage years) I would imagine that your spelling problems stem from a lack of intelligence or a lack of care.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Spelling is not my strong suite and if you want it call me unintellegent becuse of it by my guest.
Bobby claim to only post about things that he was 100% correct on and that is why it came up.

quote:

And that has been proven false, beyound a reasonable dought
Elmer Kieth was also a poor speller, but I would hardly consider him bumb, YMMV

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jwp475 wrote: "Bobby claim to only post about things that he was 100% correct on and that is why it came up."

That's another LIE you are perpetrating. I said I will not comment on someone's thread if I don't have something substantive to back it up.

These are my EXACT words: "If I have nothing substantive to back it up, I won't even comment."

jwp also wrote: "Elmer Kieth was also a poor speller, but I would hardly consider him bumb" and "Do doctors have a low intellegence? I've seen many of them miss spell words?"

You, my friend, are NO ELMER KEITH. And I seriously doubt you have an MD or PhD on the wall. So why compare yourself to them???

I'm glad I went ahead and looked at the posts after hitting ignore earlier. I figured you'd still be spouting untruths, and I was right.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ