quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
jwp475 wrote:
quote:
It is very apparent that your bias is showing.

No, that's incorrect as I have no bias. I base what I say on fact. If I have nothing substantive to back it up, I won't even comment.

So what actually does show is EXPERIENCE -- quite a bit, I might add -- along with the the reasoning ability and common sense to choose a proper bullet for big game.

But apparently you'll post it like here

That is your bow is it not? It is strung backwards is it not?

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=736102479#736102479

I'd like to hear more about your knowledge and EXPERIENCE

Again your knowledge is apparent, thanks for sharing

Like the recurve huh Bobby,

Put me on Ignore, I see that your word is meaningless as well

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barutmt:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barutmt:
If I were going to call a man's intelligence into question, I'd endeavor to spell 'intellegence' correctly. That's just me though.

Do doctors have a low intellegence? I've seen many of them miss spell words? Just wondering?

On a discussion forum the most efficient way to judge the intelligence of a fellow poster, and thereby assess their credibility, is by their use of the written language. I do not make a habit of correcting other's posts. I am not a grammar Nazi. I simply found it humorous that while calling Mr. Tomek's intelligence into question you wrote 'intellegence'.

To answer your question:

On average I would imagine that doctors are more intelligent than the average person. They are definitely more educated. A failure to spell words correctly shows a lack of care, a lack of intelligence, or that the writer is a member of the text-message generation. Judging by your admittedly extensive experience (which indicates that you're well past your teenage years) I would imagine that your spelling problems stem from a lack of intelligence or a lack of care.

Grammar and spelling aren't marks of intelligence or a lack thereof, but they could have something to do with the level of education one has -- or the focus of their education. We used to joke about the engineering students in college: I are an engineer........definitely not the mark of an unintelligent person. But I digress.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I tink I missspel al da tyme an doughn't giv a shet, cuz mah fingurs are sumtymz dislecksick. I rarely check my spelling, I guess I should so I don't look like a fool. Cool

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
John----Bobby is just Bobby. His level of what is required to be a marksman in the field is just not at the skill level of people who shoot and or compete at long range. I will give him credit for knowing what his limitations are. It is not his fault that the information that he has is incomplete and inaccurate due to circumstances beyond his control.

Just got to the hotel after doing a little final work on one of my new sticks! Should be a hummer 6.5 WSM. Driving home tomorrow but I seriously doubt he would take his sporter against one of ours and see who could put 5 or 10 rounds into target of his choosing in less than 5 minutes at 1K. I do it all of the time and would be hunting and doing some 1K shooting tomorrow if I was not up here. Personally, all of my sporters are all built with the same reamers and the ammunition is loaded using the exact same development procedures as my competition rifles.

Bottom line is you have to give a guy credit for being able to recognize the limitations of his abilities as some of us take it to the next level because we are willing to spend the necessary time and other resources to do so. . After thinking about this during the drive up today there is no way that he will be convinced otherwise so I am not going to try any longer as it is a wasted effort.

This is my new blank that I told you about last week..

Going to build a 280 Ack on it..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
jwp475 wrote:
quote:
It is very apparent that your bias is showing.

No, that's incorrect as I have no bias. I base what I say on fact. If I have nothing substantive to back it up, I won't even comment.

So what actually does show is EXPERIENCE -- quite a bit, I might add -- along with the the reasoning ability and common sense to choose a proper bullet for big game.

But apparently you'll post it like here

That is your bow is it not? It is strung backwards is it not?

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=736102479#736102479

I'd like to hear more about your knowledge and EXPERIENCE

Again your knowledge is apparent, thanks for sharing

Like the recurve huh Bobby,

Put me on Ignore, I see that your word is meaningless as well

I have no issue with discussion about long range shooting/hunting or SGKs, but if you guys can't keep this from getting personal, I will lock the thread.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boss, you may be an arrogant slob-hunting asshole, but i must concede that that looks like a very nice piece of wood.

in an attempt to steer the conversation to something a little more congenial, any details on that thing?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ! "Dead as fried Chicken" I can't believe what I'm reading........

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
boss, you may be an arrogant slob-hunting asshole, but i must concede that that looks like a very nice piece of wood.

in an attempt to steer the conversation to something a little more congenial, any details on that thing?

Hmmmmm let’s see being that this a pretty masculine blank and is not really your type----drove 1300 miles the last 2 days went to pick up a couple of sticks so I am a little tired --- what the hell.

The blank came from Luxus and was from a special tree that they ran into. Those kind never make it very far as you can imagine. My Smith for wood rifles is one of the better builders/carvers and will be starting on this one sometime after the show in January. Going to get a Krieger blank to turn down and the rest of the parts including some Blackburn or Fisher bottom metal we have----leaning toward the Fisher because on this stick the rounder bottom will look better IMHO. This will be the rifle that gets carried to hunt with here for short range and have been waiting for a blank like that for many years. It is flat sawn so you know when it is turned it will really come into its own.

Here is the one for the Hagn action BUT Hagn and Ralph split up and getting an action turned out to be a challenge last year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i'm no expert but i do now beautiful wood when i see it, and that's it.

what about the rifle it's going into? hunting at short range, i'm guessing a standard chambering of some sort.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Maybe a 260AI?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Pretty close---280AI. Now that it is no longer a wildcat I am going to build a Mauser with it. Usually, if I am having my Guild Smith build a rifle it is a standard chambering as wildcats and even certain commercial chamberings are not overly popular but kiss my azz on this one Wink!! This is not a blank that will come around again for quite some time and even then you have to be fortunate enough to be made aware of it so it is going to be a rifle that will be used frequently dancing.

Going to call Kiff (PTG) tomorrow and see what spec he builds his reamers to and if they will work to my Smiths requirements -- then in the mail or get one on order.

Short range for me is 500 or less. This one gets pretty marginal for ME at 500 yards. Maybe not you but for me 500 is the limit for this rifle--24 in tube as well.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
A couple of questions for the long range hunters/shooters.

I will use the magic 1000 yard distance, what is the maximum full value wind speed that you are willing to take a shot. It seems you can push a 300 grain .338 bullet at 3000 FPS. That is about 46" inches of windage at 1000 yards in a 10 mph full value wind.

How do you account for varying wind conditions downrange? Mirage, grass movement, trees, all of the above?

I shoot NRA Highpower so I know there are rifles and shooters that are capable of making good long range shots. Distance is easy even with elevation changes in terrain. Just curious what are your limitations and how you handle wind without range flags.

BTW the bullet, caliber, and muzzle velocity I listed above calculates to a 916 pound optimal game weight on my calculator, makes my 30-338 Win seem like a popgun.