Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Core Lokt experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

I am wondering what experiences members can relate from their use of Remington Core Lokt bullets. I am thinking this will be my moose load in 220 grains for the hunt in Maine this year.

Thanks.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The corelokt bullets are among the cheapest but most effective hunting bullets available. They are typically not very concentric and have accuracy issues for many. What caliber are you shooting?

My first assumption was a 30 caliber. If that is the case, then you probably already know this but the round nose bullets are designed for rapid expansion coupled with good penetration. The problem is they can mushroom so well so quickly that penetration may not be that impressive.

Ex.: 2 bear hunters hunting over bait. One shoots 30.06 factory 220 grain corelokts, kills a bear at less than 10 yards. Bullet kills bear on spot, mushrooms perfectly, but only penetrates about 13" from entry to inside of offside shoulder. No exit.

The other shoots 180 grain Swift Scirocco handload from 30.06 at equal sized bear less than 10 yards. Bullet blows through both shoulder bones and makes gaping hole in ground. Both bears dead right there.

Most would think the longer heavier bullet would out-penetrate the lighter bullet. IME, the opposite has been true.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry - yes, 30 06

any other recommendations?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used corelokts for at least 35 years, on moose, sheep, deer, caribou, and others. they have never let me down. corelokts and winchester power points are the best selling ammo in the u.s., for two reasons - they are often the cheapest, and they have a history or killing stuff. a 180 or 220 corelokt will easily kill any moose on the planet as long as you do your part.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Corelokt was "THE" bullet when the only premium bullet available was the Nosler PT. I've killed many moose, caribou, and one grizzley with the 220 gr. Corelokt. It has and still works good.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The Remington Corelokt has been used for so many years that it might have taken more game animals than any other single bullet, in the US.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Nothing to add to those comments except it's too bad they don't sell that bullet to the reloading community anymore. At least I have not seen them for some years except in factory ammo. I use the 220 Hornady Interlock RN for much the same result.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I hate em......

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Killed a lot of deer, elk and some antelope with Core-Lokts. They have always performed great, rare to recover one.

Cabela's sells Core-Lokts in their stores as cheap as the mail order places where they can be bought at several. Widner's, Graf's, Lock Stock and Barrel, MidSouth, Midway to name a few.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
t's too bad they don't sell that bullet to the reloading community anymore.

Sure they do, check Midway they've got all of em'.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I hate em......
Yep. They are so crappy nobody bought them.
That's why Remington kept making and selling them for over 60 years.

By far the best selling ammo EVER in America. Frank is right.
There cannot possibly be another bullet ANYWHERE that has killed more game animals than the Core-Lokt.

In my 99Savage 300Sav the 180gRN Core-Lokt ammo is way under 2" at 100 yards.
And anything that gets in it's way is DEAD.

So let's see now, that's about 10 million yeahs and one neah...
Do I hear two? Wink

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have worked well for me when I used them.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent bullet for the price.

Good Shooting BOOM

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
A good choice. They have always worked well for me on deer and antelope.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The corelokt bullets are among the cheapest but most effective hunting bullets available.

that pretty much says it all right there....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Skinner,
the question I answered was about the 220 grain RN Core Lokt bullet. I understand you can get up to the 180 SPT Core lokt from folks like Midway, I shoot a lot of the 165's, but I have not seen the 220 RN's for some years. Maybe Remington does sell them, but I have not seen them.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Skinner,
the question I answered was about the 220 grain RN Core Lokt bullet. I understand you can get up to the 180 SPT Core lokt from folks like Midway, I shoot a lot of the 165's, but I have not seen the 220 RN's for some years. Maybe Remington does sell them, but I have not seen them.

they dont sell the 220 as a component. the sierra RN is about the same but more $.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being utterly presumptuous, let's assume I am successful in my quest for a quality, representative Canadian bull moose this September. I would be interested in making a european skull mount. Where can I find information on how to do this as I have never done one before? Does it require a taxidermist or is it a job one can do at home?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot many deer at less than 60 yards with a .30-06 using pointed-softpoint-core-lokts. All deer either dropped on the spot or ran for less than 50 yards and then terminated.

I've read that they are not ideal for shots over 100 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
At the risk of being utterly presumptuous, let's assume I am successful in my quest for a quality, representative Canadian bull moose this September. I would be interested in making a european skull mount. Where can I find information on how to do this as I have never done one before? Does it require a taxidermist or is it a job one can do at home?

jsl -

you can do the job at home but after the work and expense, you might simply wish you would have had a taxidermist do it. i do not recommend boiling the skull, but some do. the best thing for a european mount are flesh-eating beetles, which believe it or not you can order online.

if i remember correctly, this was covered pretty well at my place. if you go to BSB and do a "title" search on "european mount," you will find some good information.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hammered a lot of moose with my 30-06 using 180 grain core lokts. I wouldn't stress about needing the extra 40 grains, hammer'em right behind the shoulder and he's gonna fall down 20-350 yards.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
schmaus

This is a serious question, as I have never hunted moose.

Did you mean that he will fall down after running somewhere between 20-350 yards, or that he will fall down if you hit him right from any distance from 20-350 yards.

Just thinking that if a moose often runs 200 or 300 yards after being properly shot, he could be a a very nasty place from which to remove his remains! Smiler

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
You're getting warm about the not wanting them to run off, but be prepared for it! Wink

The animals I've shot with a Rem Corelokt have died handily. They ain't fancy, but they work, given--as always--proper shot placement.

Good luck with your moose.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
just curious, but are we all including the corelokt "ultra" in this discussion as well? I wasn't but just thought about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i suspect everyone is addressing the standard core-lokt "express" we see at every walmart. i have used both (express and the ultra) and they both worked for me with no complaints.

i don't know, but i doubt rem makes the ultra in 220gr.

regardless, if the man with the initial post/question can get his 30-06 shooting standard "express" core-lokts into about 1.5" at 100 yards, he has all he will need for any moose if he places the shot correctly.

and regarding the question about the moose running 20-350 yards, if the shooter puts a 180gr corelokt thru the lungs of his moose, i doubt the animal will make it more than 50 yards. just my experience, ymmv...

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I used them in my .280 for many years (before the introduction of "premium bullets" with the premium price) and had nothing but good results on exotics, whitetails, mulies and antelope. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to read the feedbacks on the Core-lokts. Seems all the counter salesmen think they suck and want to sell the premium stuff. Problem I have is all the premium stuff is sold out. I've used it only for my 338 and have shot a 7x7 elk which died 30 ft from where I shot it. The oryx, though, ran for 2 miles. LOL It was a bad shot at a bad angle from a long distance away.

Question: I leave in less than 2 weeks for a hunting trip. Again I can't find any premium 250 grain for grizz. Would any of yall have a problem using a 220 gr Core-lokt?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
haha sorry, I meant that if you hit them right it doesn't really matter the distance close or far with a 30-06 180 core lokt the moose is gonna fall down after maybe a couple steps.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
haha sorry, I meant that if you hit them right it doesn't really matter the distance close or far with a 30-06 180 core lokt the moose is gonna fall down after maybe a couple steps.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I wouldn't bank on them just rolling over after being shot, though it's certainly possible...

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
bluefin-----Get er done. NP with the 250 grain.

Now for moose----the 1 & only 1 moose I shot was with a 30/06. 180 grain Hornady"interloc"---just about the same as a "Core-loc". 160 yards---1st shot was behind the shoulder. He just stood there--like he was absorbing the "shock". Next round broke his neck.

I would have no problem with the 180 grain "core-loc" & moose hunting. Fact is I've used it to kkilled a bunch of elk here in Colorado. CB

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say the moose was a WY moose. Probably about the same size as your Maine moose.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
dang---should have proof read.

bluefin---NP as in no probelm with 250 'CoreLoc"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe yes, maybe no. I wouldn't bank on them just rolling over after being shot, though it's certainly possible...

So exactly how many Boston moose have you shot, to back yourself up "banking" on me?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bluefin,
Since you have a 338 and premium bullets, isn't it a better choice for grizz? Back 33 yrs. ago, I took a grizz using 220 gr. corelokts in a 300 H&H. Didn't really know or care about N.P's. Ignorance was bliss. 2nd bear was a very big brown,squared 10' 3", in 1983 taken with a 375 H&H using then available 270 gr. round nosed Corelokt. Remington has long disconinued the 375 270 gr.Corelokts, and only offers "softpoints".

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to have a Mk 10 Mauser with a P.O. Ackley barrel in .30-06.

Decided to try out various 150gr. bullets for accuracy with a load of 56 gr. Win. 760.

I tried Nosler ballistic tips & partitions, Hornady Interloc, Remington Bronze points, mag-tips and others. Every one went into less than 1" @ 100 yds. for 3-shots. The Remington corelokt from a bulk box from Midway went inside of 3/8". This is the best group I personally have ever shot.

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington CL are outstanding bullets for the money one of the few bullets left you can put down range in numbers during the off season and still hunt and take BG with at an afforable price. thumb

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jsl3170,

You've clearly gotten the feedback you requested but here's my .02 as well. I've used Remington CL's in my .243, .270, 30-06's, .308's, and 6mm to cleanly take hogs, goats, sheep, deer, elk, bear, and antelope at ranges out to 400 yards over the last 40 years...Yeah...I like em! Good hunting!

Matt

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
Question: I leave in less than 2 weeks for a hunting trip. Again I can't find any premium 250 grain for grizz. Would any of yall have a problem using a 220 gr Core-lokt?

I'm not sure I understand the question here, or maybe I missed something, but are you grizzly hunting? What bullet is available in 250 grain and 220 grain for the same caliber?

FWIW, Roy Pattison, in British Columbia probably has a huge problem with 220 corelokt bullets. Did you read Tony Mandile's story he posted back in April or May about the grizz that attacked Roy that had already been shot multiple times with a 30.06 and 220 corelokts 2 years in a row?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, Roy Pattison, in British Columbia probably has a huge problem with 220 corelokt bullets. Did you read Tony Mandile's story he posted back in April or May about the grizz that attacked Roy that had already been shot multiple times with a 30.06 and 220 corelokts 2 years in a row?
Well I have no idea who Roy is and don't wanna make this personal but,,, Wasn't it the same guy shooting the same critter? Doncha suppose that perhaps played a bigger role than the bullet used?

Had the neighbors kid tell us once of the deer his Dad had shot using a 300 mag that took 7 hits to kill it. I haven't a clue what bullet they were using and it really doesn't matter. The problem had to be shot placement which I would bet was the bear problem too. You have to hit critters where it counts to get quick clean kills whatever bullet you use.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
quote:

So exactly how many Boston moose have you shot, to back yourself up "banking" on me?

Get over yourself.

KG